PDA

View Full Version : Contest Results SIDE vs Myron

Muzzlebrake
06-11-2011, 08:43 PM
according to unconfirmed reports from questionalbe sources, prominent Brethren member, pitmaster of the Smoke in Da Eye award winning competition team and Long Island cooking legend Clint Cantwell has defeated some of the best hair in BBQ, Myron Mixon in a grilling contest as part of the Big Apple BBQ Block Party.

In a recent update on his Facebook page, Clint aka SIDE was quoted as having "Cooked through a stomach bug and beat the winningest man in bbq, myron mixon!". Ever so humble, SIDE also exclaimed that while fun its cooking against a legend, Myron may be "a master but the grill is my domain!"

In related news the US Postal service will be holding meetings early next week to determine the zip code for Clint's ego. :becky:

Nice job buddy!

:rockon:

NorthwestBBQ
06-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Where's the video?

watg?
06-11-2011, 08:59 PM
any pics? inquiring minds want to know....me too

SmokeInDaEye
06-11-2011, 09:46 PM
according to unconfirmed reports from questionalbe sources, prominent Brethren member, pitmaster of the Smoke in Da Eye award winning competition team and Long Island cooking legend Clint Cantwell has defeated some of the best hair in BBQ, Myron Mixon in a grilling contest as part of the Big Apple BBQ Block Party.

In a recent update on his Facebook page, Clint aka SIDE was quoted as having "Cooked through a stomach bug and beat the winningest man in bbq, myron mixon!". Ever so humble, SIDE also exclaimed that while fun its cooking against a legend, Myron may be "a master but the grill is my domain!"

In related news the US Postal service will be holding meetings early next week to determine the zip code for Clint's ego. :becky:

Nice job buddy!

:rockon:

When is the US Postal Service going to honor you as biggest mouth with zero bite?

I love you like a brother sean but your bullsheet callouts of people with more talent are getting tired.

I was proud of what I did today as I am of all of my wins. Feel free to come an do some real talking on the grill versus you're b's "shake and bake" child play.

MilitantSquatter
06-11-2011, 09:54 PM
SIDE - Maybe it's me and I'm out of the loop, but I took his post as nothing more than just putting a little humor on reporting results for this unique grilling thing or whatever this should be called ..

I didn't take it as a callout, and I'm not sure what perceived talent levels between he and you mean here...

Chit... when words get taken so seriously to the point of friends calling each other over something so simple as grilling, to me that's a problem that should be handled offline..

Thanks

:confused:

Muzzlebrake
06-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Clint,

I apologize if I offended you, I was just trying to be funny, it was meant tongue in cheek.......

you should be proud, bottom line you were in the middle of NYC competing against a celebrity and I was home doing nothing.

sorry that you took it wrong friend, I didn't mean to disparage anything that you have done

speedrcer1
06-11-2011, 10:23 PM
All, This was a great, fun hearted competition.
Clint and Myron shared some great, fun spirited banter back and forth and all were fine gentleman. Clint won, Myron was totally respectful and kind.
I worked the KCBS booth and photo'ed and video'ed the entire event. Clint will post the great shots. I will post one.
But it was all for fun. And that's what all involved were about, and happy to have the crowd's applause from the pouring rain!

SmokeInDaEye
06-11-2011, 10:24 PM
SIDE - Maybe it's me and I'm out of the loop, but I took his post as nothing more than just putting a little humor on reporting results for this unique grilling thing or whatever this should be called ..

I didn't take it as a callout, and I'm not sure what perceived talent levels between he and you mean here...

Chit... when words get taken so seriously to the point of friends calling each other over something so simple as grilling, to me that's a problem that should be handled offline..

Thanks

:confused:

Ok. I'll assume his snarky comments are what they are.

I'm tired and I know sean loves the fake " shake and bake" joke so it's easy to assume he's being snarky arse.

I was very very very proud to show up and cook some amazing food then to beat the winningest man in bbq head_to-head today. Unfortunately it's not PC to share that pride with your "friends" anymore without getting played.

SmokeInDaEye
06-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Clint,

I apologize if I offended you, I was just trying to be funny, it was meant tongue in cheek.......

you should be proud, bottom line you were in the middle of NYC competing against a celebrity and I was home doing nothing.

sorry that you took it wrong friend, I didn't mean to disparage anything that you have done

Brother, I love you as always. Its been a long day and I was wishing someone would give me some luv for quieting that loud ass Myron!!!! See you soon.

Frank Sacco
06-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Great job Clint! What an accomplishment

Muzzlebrake
06-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Brother, I love you as always. Its been a long day and I was wishing someone would give me some luv for quieting that loud ass Myron!!!! See you soon.

I thought I was! you must have confused me with STD

Yakfishingfool
06-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Wow!!!

big brother smoke
06-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Congrats, Clint!

And I wish for peace here :peace::peace:

SmokeInDaEye
06-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Great job Clint! What an accomplishment

Thank you sir. I hope to get together soon, Frank!

Ron_L
06-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Mod Note:

Let's stop the personal attacks and get this back on topic, which is celebrating S.I.D.E.'s accomplishment today! If this thread can't be kept civil it will be locked.

SmokeInDaEye
06-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Mod Note:

Let's stop the personal attacks and get this back on topic, which is celebrating S.I.D.E.'s accomplishment today! If this thread can't be kept civil it will be locked.

Thank you Ronelle.

I was just looking at my upcoming anniversary with the brethren this morning before going to do that very stressful grill off against a man that is on tv much more than my bs stuff.

I got sick on the train, I borrowed rubs and sauces from brethren and I beat someone who makes much more than me as a bbq face by cooking f'n well.

Sawdustguy
06-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Great Job Clint! Big time kudos for shrinking Mryron Mixon's sphincter at bit!. :thumb:

Cue's Your Daddy
06-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Nice job bro....what did you cook. STD is Sledneck. If u need i will be your security and PR person now. Only if you teach me that pork recipe and sauce. Best i ever had. AND I AM NOT BS'ing. Keep it up bro.. I know Muzz was just joking around. You have tried to take something you love and make it into something more over the past couple years, and you have succeeded. This is the BBQ Brethren, home to bbq guys and wise asses around the world. LOLOL. And you know u are getting prank calls now for posting your cell phone, maybe couple of Bill Collectors being transfered your way. Again, Nice Job bro.

Muzzlebrake
06-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Clint,

Once again buddy I apologize if I offended you. As I said earlier, I was just trying to be tongue in cheek, I was not trying to disparage your accomplishments.

Ron_L
06-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Mod Note:

I've scrubbed the name calling and abusive posts from this thread. Let's keep it civil and on topic!

SmokeInDaEye
06-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks sean and ronelle. I appreciate you all so much and apologize for being too sensitive at times.

Aside from the fact that we may have fried my nice video camera in the rain it was a hell of a battle! Myron strolled in with a whole crew a couple minutes late and drank a half a red bull for a little bit of energy (3 kids with 100+ temps don't bode well for my stomach ailment!).

We were given strip steaks, chicken breasts, sausage, flank steak, thick bacon and some veggies, and 20 minutes to cook 1-on-1. And then the skies started pouring about five minutes in and I turned to Myron and said something like "welcome to cooking in the Northeast"!

We had some great back and forth banter, I reduced some wine in a foil boat then used it on a veggie stuffed, coffee rubbed flank steak with a cherry smoked sausage and veg stuffed roasted red pepper and a southern smoked bacon coleslaw on side.

Myron cooked a steak, a kebob and a chicken breast I think. I won on appearance and on taste which was cool!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-12-2011, 11:05 AM
congrats!:clap2:! looking forward to hanging out at NewHolland!!!

by the way...you can skip the sausage catagory this year...let some one else have a shot!!

SmokeInDaEye
06-12-2011, 11:48 AM
congrats!:clap2:! looking forward to hanging out at NewHolland!!!

by the way...you can skip the sausage catagory this year...let some one else have a shot!!

Can't wait. My wife made a blanket for lil George in case he gets cold. And the video camera dried out and is fine!

Westexbbq
06-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Nice going young fellow,
kudos and accolades all around!!

SmokeInDaEye
06-12-2011, 03:26 PM
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrecFvOkEAo) Before the video camera fried.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-12-2011, 05:40 PM
thanks for the video, looks like a great time...to bad you only had 1 cooker to use...Im sure you stuff would have turned out even better if you had more cooking space!!!

FamilyManBBQ
06-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Clint, thanks for the video!!

BBQ "in the northeast" looks a lot like BBQ in the northwest!! That's some rain!!

Congrats on the victory brother!! I'd give my left one (it's not my favorite, though) for a win over Myron...hell, I might even give the right one too!!

Way to go!!

SmokeInDaEye
06-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Its all good. If you can't cook on whatcha got then you can't cook. I freaked them out a bit with my new reverse plank method but the food turned out good.

Smokin Turkey
06-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Any Chance you won it on the SIDE grate?? I'm sure it's still clean and bored. :rolleyes:

Congrats all the same! :thumb:

SmokeInDaEye
06-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Any Chance you won it on the SIDE grate?? I'm sure it's still clean and bored. :rolleyes:

Congrats all the same! :thumb:

Dude, I still need to cook on that I'm just so proud of your work.

Sledneck
06-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Yawn
:-P

Big George's BBQ
06-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Congrats Clint Awesome job :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Jacked UP BBQ
06-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Side. I knew you had that ****! Congrats!

CTSmokehouse
06-13-2011, 12:32 AM
WTG..
Congrats!!!

Still have your plum wood from Giggler...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Smokin Turkey
06-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Dude, I still need to cook on that I'm just so proud of your work.

I know man! I'll make you a sign if you want one. I just hate for you to spend the money on that grate and never use it. It's like buying a BYC and not wanting to burn off the paint! lol...

I am really proud of you for beating Myron. I also watched the tail end of the CBS thing on Memorial Day and saw Myron lost that. I was hoping Neil woulda' won that one but when he didn't, I was saying "anyone but Myron please!" lol.

He seems like a nice guy in person and he's brought out the bad boy tv personality which the producers of TV shows love so he has watch-ability for some but his tagline "the winningest man in BBQ" makes me root for him to lose.

Didn't want to take this off course. Really proud to know you man and know you've cooked on my micro-machine and you haul around my steel! :hail:

speedrcer1
06-13-2011, 07:53 AM
YouTube - ‪NYC BBQ Block Party‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9FEbh5tUkA)

timzcardz
06-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Congrats, Clint!

That's one heck of an accomplishment.

BBQ_MAFIA
06-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Congrats Clint!

MikeR
06-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Job well done Clint- wow, I can say I knew you when... :-D

Porky
06-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Way to go Clint, great job.

speedrcer1
06-13-2011, 03:13 PM
And the rest of the festival was great!
John Markus cooking with Big Bob Gibson
KCBS Tour trailer near the Flat Iron Building
And just one more Myron, who was a great gentleman.

Slamdunkpro
06-13-2011, 05:40 PM
It was funny how it only poured for 90 minutes during Clint and Myron's battle. We were too busy reloading for Sunday to go over and watch the fun.

beerguy
06-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Congrats Clint. I have a question after watching the videos on Facebook. If Kingsford was a sponsor why the hell was there only one grill? They have grills, and they have charcoal. Every time one of you opened the cover, I thought, man, if I had just put food on there for a competition, shut the lid! Seemed like Myron left the cover up a lot. Why only one grill for two competitors?

MilitantSquatter
06-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks speedracer - That's the name I was trying to recall !!!!

Anyone else know where Webb's Colored Distilled Vinegar comes from (as seen in the jug in the pic above w/ John Marcus) ? Likely in Alabama, but doesn't seem to be online anywhere.

SmokeInDaEye
06-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Congrats Clint. I have a question after watching the videos on Facebook. If Kingsford was a sponsor why the hell was there only one grill? They have grills, and they have charcoal. Every time one of you opened the cover, I thought, man, if I had just put food on there for a competition, shut the lid! Seemed like Myron left the cover up a lot. Why only one grill for two competitors?

I figured out later On that that grill also opens on the back but I don't need much space to get stuff done. It was a little tiring to watch Myron leave the lid open so long but you do whatcha gotta do. He was awesome.

SmokeInDaEye
06-13-2011, 07:56 PM
It was funny how it only poured for 90 minutes during Clint and Myron's battle. We were too busy reloading for Sunday to go over and watch the fun.

The rain seems to hunt me! Hope you had a good time brother!

The Giggler
06-14-2011, 10:34 AM
WTG..
Congrats!!!

Still have your plum wood from Giggler...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

That was good stuff, Cliff. Too bad its long gone.

So, was that a secret ingredient Clint? Congrats.

Smokin Turkey
06-14-2011, 11:12 AM

I was told it was "love".

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/20500000/-You-like-Krabby-Patties-don-t-you-Squidward-spongebob-squarepants-20518839-500-333.jpg

SmokeInDaEye
06-14-2011, 12:09 PM

We basically showed up and cooked with what they had on hand for us. A couple nice strip steaks which Myron grabbed, a flank steak which I grabbed, a pineapple, different veggies, chicken breasts, sausages and some other stuff.

Slamdunkpro
06-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Myron strolled in with a whole crew....

I gotta poke you a little here Clint. The cook-off was at 3 and we had sold out at 1:30. Myron's "whole crew" was his wife, son, one of the team guys & his wife. If the cook-off had been a little later we'd have all come over but we were cleaning and reloading for Sunday when your event went down. (plus it was pouring and none of us wanted to walk all the way over to the KCBS trailer)

In any event, a hearty well done to you.

SmokeInDaEye
06-14-2011, 02:29 PM
I gotta poke you a little here Clint. The cook-off was at 3 and we had sold out at 1:30. Myron's "whole crew" was his wife, son, one of the team guys & his wife. If the cook-off had been a little later we'd have all come over but we were cleaning and reloading for Sunday when your event went down. (plus it was pouring and none of us wanted to walk all the way over to the KCBS trailer)

In any event, a hearty well done to you.

yeah, I don't know how many people came over, we were just looking for him and he emerged through the crowd with his agent, Faye and some other people. Wasn't really counting. The location of the KCBS site wasn't good for anyone either.

My crew consisted of Mr. Bobo and a bunch of clowns.