PDA

View Full Version : Southern Brethren and Mobile, Alabama

chad
02-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Tim and I will be gearing up this week for a trip to Mobile, Alabama, for the KCBS contest there next weekend.

I've been sorting a couple of boxes and will be making up rubs and sauces this week. Wednesday I pick, clean, and pack the LETTUCE. Thursday morning I'll head up to Marianna to meet up with Tim and we'll "convoy" over to Mobile.

They are, apparently, treating the teams right in Mobile. Seafood dinner and party Thursday night. Mardi Gras doings over the weekend. Huge 40x40 cook sites, and so forth.

We've got a few new tricks up our sleeves for this cook off - so we'll see how it goes.

We've got two WSM's and a modified Bandera -- we're BAD! :mrgreen:

parrothead
02-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Got my fingers crossed that you two get a good table tasting your meat. You are due for at least a little bit of reward.

chad
02-26-2005, 08:53 PM
All we can do is the best we can do ON THAT WEEKEND. We've gotten some experience over the last few months so now's time for us to put it to use. :D

The_Kapn
02-26-2005, 09:23 PM
All we can do is the best we can do ON THAT WEEKEND. We've gotten some experience over the last few months so now's time for us to put it to use. :D
YUP
No distractions, no worries.
Just cook!!!!!!!!!!!
RV on site.
Killer WSMs and Studedera doing battle with the big boys from all over the Eastern US.
Alabama State Championships with 80 teams. Huge purse.

At least HomeBBQ and Woodhouse will be "locking horns" in Crestview. :D

We "Ain't Skeered" of the rest of them folks. :oops:

GONNA BE FUN

TIM

tommykendall
02-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Sounds like a great time to be had. Best of luck with yer meat!

BigBelly
02-27-2005, 07:24 AM
Good luck Dave and Tim! Knock um dead and by all means have that 'moded' Bandera front and center so you can REPRESENT! =)

homebbq
02-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Tim and Dave good luck!
Found out yesterday that Woodhouse Grill and Jack's Old South are heading to Mobile, so I will get a bit of a break in Crestview. Although the field will still be tough with Smoking Permitted, Squeels on Wheels, Kick the Tire, Light the Fire, Yhd Dixie Boys, and the Florida Boys.

The_Kapn
02-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Tim and Dave good luck!
Found out yesterday that Woodhouse Grill and Jack's Old South are heading to Mobile, so I will get a bit of a break in Crestview. Although the field will still be tough with Smoking Permitted, Squeels on Wheels, Kick the Tire, Light the Fire, Yhd Dixie Boys, and the Florida Boys.
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!
Woodhouse in Mobile?? :twisted: :twisted:
We love those guys, but DAMN, I was expecting only "amateurs" :oops: :oops: :oops:

Oh well, I guess "your loss is our gain" :lol:

Knock'em dead at Crestview!

TIM

homebbq
02-27-2005, 08:55 AM
That will be a real tough field in Mobile, Pig Pals, Smoking Triggers, Lotta Bull, Butt Rub, Britts BBQ, Piggin & Grinnin (on and on). I went there in 2003 and its a great contest.

The_Kapn
02-27-2005, 09:16 AM
That will be a real tough field in Mobile, Pig Pals, Smoking Triggers, Lotta Bull, Butt Rub, Britts BBQ, Piggin & Grinnin (on and on). I went there in 2003 and its a great contest.
Like I said before--"We ain't skeered"!
(Yeah, sure) :oops: :oops: :oops:
I just gotta keep the "game face on" till the "Reality Check" awards. :lol:
Plenty of time between the awards on Sat and our departure on Sunday morning to do the "Natural Light and Sleep it Off" Mod when reality bites :cry:

Now--If someone will just convince Woodhouse to play at Crestview--"we be fine" :lol:

TIM

homebbq
02-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Don't be scared, just do your best, and hope for the best. With 80+ teams it will be a bit of a crap shoot. Alot of people will have a chance to walk the stage.

chad
02-27-2005, 12:54 PM
I just want to see the Triggers matching RV and cook rig again! :D

I'm looking forward to Mobile - there'll be enough teams we're familiar with to visit but lots of new name/reps/faces to match up.

I'm expecting HomeBBQ to do well, as usual, at Crestview - I think this will be the first weekend where this forum has had teams out in a couple of different contests. Should be interesting reading by Monday.

I've got about a 8-10 hour drive so I'll probably wait, like Tim (nothing like having a motorhome available) and head back Sunday morning.

I think for us it's back to basics and pay attention. We know how to make some good food so it's just time to put up! Walk the talk! And all those other cliches! :mrgreen:

Arlin_MacRae
02-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Kick A$$, guys!

Jorge
02-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Sounds like a good time. Safe trip and best of luck :D

BBQchef33
02-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Hate to sound like a broken record, but at KCBS, IMO, Any one team can win on any given day. It dont matter who you are. Just do your best at with what your best at.

and .... In the immortal words of DFLITTLE, dont experiment at a competition!

most important.. have fun!

bbqman1
02-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Whats up guys? Mike from the Woodhouse grill here.Hope to see ya in Mobile

chad
02-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Welcome. We're getting quite a collection of Florida teams.

Are you guys going to compete in the pro or amateur division? :mrgreen:
((Woodhouse Grill got scored as an amateur team at Plant City - KCBS admin error))

If you haven't already (and from the post count you haven't) please go over to Cattle Call and introduce yourself.

The_Kapn
02-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Whats up guys? Mike from the Woodhouse grill here.Hope to see ya in Mobile
Shucks--we gotta quit talking about Woodhouse now :oops:

You are all over this forum allready!

Gonna be fun to watch the "Titans of the FBA" battle it out on-line!

I am Humbled :mrgreen:

OH YEAH Mike-Mobile is full-up--you need to run over to Crestview if you wanna cook that weekend :lol: :lol: :lol:

TIM

Solidkick
02-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Shucks--we gotta quit talking about Woodhouse now

LOL, you know Tim, before the summer is over, we won't be able to talk about many teams. I expect this board to jump by about 200 people, with several being competition cookers. Nothing but good ahead for us.

Best of luck to you and DF.......do what you know will work best. Have fun, and be great ambassadors.

jminion
02-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Good luck guys, give them hell!

kcquer
02-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Tim and Dave, Best of Luck Brothers and remember to have fun!!

Neil
02-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Tim, Dave, and the rest of the brethren competitors: May you all have a weekend of good times, good friends, and most important, good Q.
Enjoy the moment.

The_Kapn
02-27-2005, 08:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tim, Dave, and the rest of the brethren competitors:
"Me Thinks" Neil has found the magic words to solve a challenge I have pondered!

Specifically--"How to handle our loyalty and respect for the Brother's teams when they face each other".

"Brethren Competetors" is a Damn fine start!

Now, DF and I gotta go kick the a$$ of our "Brethren Competetors" at Mobile next weekend.

Love it--thanks Neil!

TIM

jeffsasmokin
02-28-2005, 03:32 AM
Tim and Dave good luck!
Found out yesterday that Woodhouse Grill and Jack's Old South are heading to Mobile, so I will get a bit of a break in Crestview. Although the field will still be tough with Smoking Permitted, Squeels on Wheels, Kick the Tire, Light the Fire, Yhd Dixie Boys, and the Florida Boys.Woodhouse is heading to Mobile, huh? Well, that kinda sets you up in Crestview.

Tim and Dave...............I hope you knock 'em dead in Mobile!!! Good luck guys and keep us up to date!

jeffsasmokin
02-28-2005, 03:47 AM
Shucks--we gotta quit talking about Woodhouse now

LOL, you know Tim, before the summer is over, we won't be able to talk about many teams. I expect this board to jump by about 200 people, with several being competition cookers. Nothing but good ahead for us.

Amen to that, Kick!!! I had the advantage of being able to walk the field, during the Okeechobee contest and "spread the gospel" of the Brethren!
I was pleasantly suprised to see so many of the competitors knew about our site here, and others that were very interested in checking us out.

jt
02-28-2005, 08:41 AM
Ok, DF & Tim, go kick some a$$! Looking forward to to report!

CosmicCookin
03-01-2005, 02:35 PM
David and Tim, best of luck to you in Mobile! I agree with Kevin. Y'all have a good chance of doin' OK up there with that big of a field. Just focus on what you're doin' and do your best.

Kevin, it's about time somebody sweeps all 4 at an FBA contest and I know you can do it. You need the points.........

Tim

JacksonsDad
03-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Man, is it this weekend already!! Time got away from me, I was hoping to drop in and learn something. Sorry, dad!! Keep us informed as to what's going on! Good Luck!!!

homebbq
03-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I have had 2 first's, and 2 second's, and 1 first, and 3 second places before, and 2 1st's, with other combinations. Obviously never 4 1st places. Thats a tall order without question. We appreciate the confidence Tim, and we will do our best.

The_Kapn
03-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Man, is it this weekend already!! Time got away from me, I was hoping to drop in and learn something. Sorry, dad!! Keep us informed as to what's going on! Good Luck!!!
That's OK son. I really understand.
Note to self--"Stacey is out of the will (again)" :twisted:

The organizer called from Mobile with a couple of small questions. No problem.

I learned the sites are not only HUGE, but have full RV hookups with sewer, water, and 30Amp power :lol:
I am thinking that one event a year is gonna stay on the Southern Brethren schedule, for sure!
What a way to "rough it". KEWL RV, Real pottie, shower, full kitchen, Satellite TV (3 of them), XM radio :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man, if we can't cook under them conditions, we need to hang it up for sure (at least till Mobile next year)!

TIM

homebbq
03-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Yep... Maybe we need to work out a deal on that RV Tim.. :wink:

chad
03-01-2005, 05:20 PM
I've taken our travel trailer with generator a couple of time - the a/c alone is worth it!

When Anne and Joey come along it is THE priority!! Microwave for Joey's stuff or just popcorn. Refrigerator for "house" stuff. Stove and oven (cinnamon rolls), etc. TV and tape player (again, for the 12 year old) - and most of all - a private bathroom - small, but private and CL
EAN. :D

Not required when it's just me but if Momma comes along - the trailer better be hitched and ready. :D

CosmicCookin
03-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Dang Kev, these folks travel first class! Think I might give up cookin' and become a bus driver! :wink:

Tim

chad
03-01-2005, 06:18 PM
This is the first time we've done the motorhome thing!

In the past Tim would drag the "Grapes of Wrath" gear trailer and then I'd show up later with the travel trailer.

Never had the "house" on-site before. :D

CosmicCookin
03-01-2005, 06:31 PM

LMAO! Take advantage of it while you have it! If you get there Friday nite just find Rub. You can charge him a quarter a trip just to ride on the elevator in that rig!

BTW, just noticed you live in my hometown. Kinda hard to believe the place was full of crackers at one time, isn't it?

Tim

The_Kapn
03-01-2005, 06:38 PM

In the past Tim would drag the "Grapes of Wrath" gear trailer and then I'd show up later with the travel trailer.

Never had the "house" on-site before. :D
No sh$t. Looks lide a traveling (and disorgized Gypsy Circus).
Too bad the Judges can't award "PITY POINTS"!

I finally got 3 hours of something almost qualifying as "sleep" at one competetion.

But, you know what? Kevin and Clara do the "back of the van" sleeping thing!
My hat is off to them!

I wish I had a video of "Kevin's Wake Up Call" at Sebring :lol:
Couple of the "guys" just "rocked the van" (almost turned it over) till Kevin came out "grumbling".
Went on to kick a$$ (at least ours if not WoodHouse) at awards!

The "lodging" is not the key--the "skill" is :lol:
As DF says--"It is not the cooker, it is the cook" :lol:

But,i f we gotta be beaten--we might as well be comfortable while suffering the humiliation :oops:

TIM

chad
03-01-2005, 08:31 PM
We're getting on-site Thursday!

I won't know how to act being able to prep the meats in daylight! :D

chad
03-02-2005, 07:19 PM
The trailer is packed and everything strapped down. The lettuce is cleaned and bagged.

In the morning I fill the ice chest, put them in the Explorer, and launch for Marianna. Tim and I should meet up about 11:00 Central. We'll then head over the Mobile - arrive early (man I won't know how to act!) and setup. And then PARTY!! :mrgreen:

Friday will be (I'm guessing) meat inspection and then I can get everything marinated and rubbed.

parrothead
03-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Rub some for me, Dave! And good luck. But most of all have fun.

jeffsasmokin
03-03-2005, 04:15 AM
And then PARTY!! :mrgreen:

.That's what I'm talkin' about! Who says you can't mix business with pleasure! :D All the best to you guys!

homebbq
03-03-2005, 04:39 AM
Good luck Tim & Dave...

chad
03-03-2005, 04:46 AM
Party! For me is relative :D

Thursday has a pre-paid seafood dinner, etc. Friday and Saturday I'll be too wired to party and by Saturday night I'll be ready to collapse.

However, getting to compete, meeting old friends and making some new ones will make the effort worthwhile!!

Thanks for the good wishes!

smokincracker
03-03-2005, 10:49 AM
I spoke to Mike from Woodhouse yesterday. He asked me to go with him to Mobile cause his guys can't get off work. He is going by him-self thats a long solo drive. I wish I could go I am just too busy at work... Mike is a good guy and has helped me alot with anything I ask.. I wish Woodhouse(Mike) the best of luck in Mobile...

The_Kapn
03-03-2005, 10:56 AM
I spoke to Mike from Woodhouse yesterday. He asked me to go with him to Mobile cause his guys can't get off work. He is going by him-self thats a long solo drive. I wish I could go I am just too busy at work... Mike is a good guy and has helped me alot with anything I ask.. I wish Woodhouse(Mike) the best of luck in Mobile...
Is he having to cook alone or just travel alone?
DF and I will check on him. May be able to help with set-up, tear down, and heavy stuff.
We wish him good luck also:
Reserve Champ would be perfect (right behind us) :lol:
TIM

smokincracker
03-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Guess I'm a bit late with a reply>>
Best I knew he is cooking alone....

BBQchef33
03-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Tim and Dave called tonight. Worn out but alive.

Heres what I got from the conversation. They will give specifics in the AM. They placed midfield overall out of about 90 teams. Best was 17th in chicken and top third in butts and ribs. Had a timing issue with brisket and places a little lower downfield. Seems its hangtime at 140 was a little longer than anticiapted. They will be here tomorrow to give us the rundown.

The_Kapn
03-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Well, I am home and DF is still on the road to ClearWater.
So--I get to go first. :lol: :lol:

Mobile was a BLAST!
Ever had a Farking parade down your street while you are trying to enjoy some early (and precious) naps in the RV on a Friday night?
Ever try to sleep with sirens from Police Cruisers and Fire Trucks going off 100' away :twisted:
We did it--it's called FOCUS :lol:
We felt like we were at the Royal or the JD!
83 PRO teams--almost the entire "Who's Who" of the BBQ world.
Guys (and Top Chicks) that we only read about in the news or see on Food Network :lol:
One team had a $400K RV for comfort and then added "cookers and support equipment" that cost more than my house :lol:
Teams with "color and theme coordinated outfits" to match their "decor".
Mobile was the National BBQ News "event of the year"- so you can read the details there.

Our results were just as PooBah said.
We came real close on chicken, just a tick out of the money at 17th (paying 15 places).
Our personal assessment of our entries pretty well matched the Judges in terms of placement ranges. "We be happy" :lol:
Looking at the results, lots of Super Stars above us--but many below in all catagories.
Likewise, plenty of "unknown teams" above and below us.

And as to the "crapshoot scoring" theory--we were placed in the "scoring range" that we felt we earned for this meet. Scoring becomes a "crapshhot" as to how we scored withing that "range"--we have no problem with the results!
Sure, a move of only move a point or two by any Judge could have moved us several (or many) places. Our lowest single scores were a "6" in a few places-KEWL in the current scoring environment :lol: :lol:
But, Judging is a human endeavor and as long as our "stuff" is scored in a "range" of scores that agrees with our personal assessment--we are happy!
We did our job and the Judges did theirs--we are comfortable with that!

Interesting to note that the Grand and the Reserve Champs were both FBA teams! Tough damn circuit, but developing into a great one.
I have some comments on Woodhouse and HomeBBQ, but I will put them into the proper thread.
Also, some other "lessons learned" about things (such as desset competetions) that I/we may post in different threads--just too much info for now.

DF and I will be taking a break from Competetion to let our bank balances recover.
We gave it our best shot and got better each time.
But, competing is "resource intensive" and we need to re-group a bit.
This is strictly a $$ decision--not an emotional one. We improved at each event, but just not enough $$ to keep it up us going long enough for winnings or sponsorship $$ to help out.

PURE BUSINESS--that is all.

To be "mid pack" in the Mobile field is an honor!

In the interim, we are going to stay active as FBA (and maybe KCBS) Judges, try to "mooch" some time tending fires and stiring sauce for the FBA teams that have become a part of our life, and refine our skills.

We are "at peace' with that!

For the Brothers that have considered competeting--just "go do it"!
You will learn so much and meet the best folks on the planet.
Just do not expect to break into the $$, walk the stage, or get rich.
We never did that, but even getting financially self- sufficient is a challenge.
We set much more modest goals, and (believe me) even modest goals are tough with the quality of the experienced teams competeting.

The "Real Pros" are the "Peal Pros" for a reason--they are damn good cooks and consistant.
My hat is off to them.

Thanks for all the support as we pursued this adventure--so much fun-- and so rewarding.

TIM

Neil
03-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks Tim. Sounds like you and Dave have a great time enjoying Q and isn't that what is really all about?

The_Kapn
03-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks Tim. Sounds like you and Dave have a great time enjoying Q and isn't that what is really all about?
Neil--I hear what you are saying, but--NOPE!
Competetion is a whole different world!.
Business first and then- hopefully--fun :lol:
Now, if you can figure out (or have the $$) how to just "go compete" and not worry about $$, yes--just fun.
"Best Fun I have had with my pants on" :lol: :lol:

But, "fun" is a "by-product" of competing for most of us.
$$ have to come from somewhere :twisted:

TIM

chad
03-06-2005, 08:10 PM
I got in about 8:00 pm and unloaded the Explorer.

Tim pretty much covered it. Great event, well managed, 83 pro teams! Chris Lilly was there as were the Triggers and the phenom teenager Top Chick!

We got to visit with some Alabama teams and took a look at a number of cookers, comp trailers, etc. Kingfisher and Tucker were both there and it was good to be able to kick the tires on their cookers.

We feel like we coordinated our efforts better this time. Things went in on time, etc. It was super nice having the RV on site with full hookups - that meant heat at night, a clean toilet anytime, and a SHOWER each night. We're both pretty beat today but getting a nap Friday night, a shorter nap each on Saturday (early morining), and then being able to stay on-site and get some sleep last night made the LONG trip back to Clearwater endurable.

Like Tim said, we'll be doing some judging and schmoozing over the next months. I'm tapped out and sure hope there's an income tax refund coming!! :D

Details later if/when they come to mind.

homebbq
03-07-2005, 05:46 AM
Congrats guys, glad you did ok... That was some real tough competition there.