PDA

View Full Version : Ribs for 60?

butt head
06-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Hey guys, just got ligit last week and have a party for 60 that wants ribs, chicken,pork beans, mac&cheese, pasta and fruit salad. I got a good idea about the pork and chicken but need some help with the ribs. I'm looking at #20 cooked of pork,140 pcs chicken,full tray of beans,two full of mac and full trays each of salads. they are supplying desserts and drinks. Am i close ?

Lake Dogs
06-10-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm not certain about the chicken, that seems more than a tad high. Also I've disagreed with a few caterers here on ribs largely because my ribs keep getting snarfed ala. grande when I cook, like 2 weekends back 8 people demolished 4 HUGE racks and then ate a few bbq sandwiches and some beans, tater chips, and left the slaw... You'd have thought these folks hadn't eaten in days!

I usually figure about 1/3 of a rack per person. Even at that our get gone FAST.
I dont judge it by pound, but as we usually get 3lb racks+-, that's about a pound per person... Remember, there's bone in there. You could go with 1/4 of a rack per person, but I think any less than that and you're cutting it thin.

Bamabuzzard
06-10-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm not certain about the chicken, that seems more than a tad high. Also I've disagreed with a few caterers here on ribs largely because my ribs keep getting snarfed ala. grande when I cook, like 2 weekends back 8 people demolished 4 HUGE racks and then ate a few bbq sandwiches and some beans, tater chips, and left the slaw... You'd have thought these folks hadn't eaten in days!

I usually figure about 1/3 of a rack per person. Even at that our get gone FAST.
I dont judge it by pound, but as we usually get 3lb racks+-, that's about a pound per person... Remember, there's bone in there. You could go with 1/4 of a rack per person, but I think any less than that and you're cutting it thin.

So going by 1/3's that's 20 racks to feed 60 people?

Lake Dogs
06-10-2011, 11:58 AM
I think he said 20lbs, which would be 9+- racks, or 7 racks like I like to pick 'em... Depending on the ribs, etc., yes, I think he needs +-20 racks. 15 would probably do in a pinch if they're good sized. Of course I've seen ribs sit on tables and go to waste, but those were crappy grilled ribs...

Bamabuzzard
06-10-2011, 12:21 PM
I think he said 20lbs, which would be 9+- racks, or 7 racks like I like to pick 'em... Depending on the ribs, etc., yes, I think he needs +-20 racks. 15 would probably do in a pinch if they're good sized. Of course I've seen ribs sit on tables and go to waste, but those were crappy grilled ribs...

Yeah, size does matter when it comes to ribs. :becky: I've cooked for 30-35 people and estimated by using the 1/3's approach and got to the store to buy the ribs and the ribs that were available in the cooler looked "itty-bitty". So I had to do some quick adjusting to my count.

butt head
06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Lake dog, the #20 is cooked pork weight. i was thinking 16 racks of st lou since i have all the other meat, maybe cut the chicken to 100. thanks for the reply's

butt head
06-10-2011, 12:27 PM
went to resturant depot and they had mid size spare's (3.5-4lb) for $1.69 lb got 3 cs.thats 18 racks

Bamabuzzard
06-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Good luck on the event. I'm sure the Q is going to be awesome. If possible take some pics and post so we can drool on our computer screens. :thumb:

Lake Dogs
06-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Sounds to me like you're good to go! Best of luck with it.

butt head
06-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks again brothers will make sure i take pic's.. also getting ready for a one day comp. fundraiser tomorow:doh:

theflints01
06-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Do you St Louis your spare ribs for catering? We don't. We still go with 1/3 rack per person just to be safe, but the full cut ribs seem to stay moist longer.

PorkQPine
06-11-2011, 11:36 AM
You've got ribs, chicken and pork for meats. I would be surprised big time if you didn't have lots of leftovers with the amount of product you are planning. For only 60 people three meats is a lot along with your beans, mac and cheese, pasta and fruit salad. It looks like you are planning on each person to eat 4 ribs, two + pieces of chicken, 1/3 pound of pork plus beans, mac&cheese, pasta and fruit salad. Can you eat that much? You can control portions much better if you have servers for the meats, if you don't people will load up and mess with your portioning. I have my servers ask if they would like chicken, ribs, pork and if so - one or two. They can always come back, remember they are at a function and will be talking to friends, they did not come to eat and eat.

butt head
06-11-2011, 08:01 PM
You've got ribs, chicken and pork for meats. I would be surprised big time if you didn't have lots of leftovers with the amount of product you are planning. For only 60 people three meats is a lot along with your beans, mac and cheese, pasta and fruit salad. It looks like you are planning on each person to eat 4 ribs, two + pieces of chicken, 1/3 pound of pork plus beans, mac&cheese, pasta and fruit salad. Can you eat that much? You can control portions much better if you have servers for the meats, if you don't people will load up and mess with your portioning. I have my servers ask if they would like chicken, ribs, pork and if so - one or two. They can always come back, remember they are at a function and will be talking to friends, they did not come to eat and eat.

still learning the catering thing thats why i asked. this is what they asked for ( it's a grad party for a family friend who loves our food). I am thinking 1/4 lb on pork per person and 3 ribs, my 7 cheese mac always go's no matter how much i make. I priced this at $18 per head so i don't want to be short.
thanks again for all replys