PDA

View Full Version : Competition Etiquette...

JD McGee
06-09-2011, 09:37 PM
I did a search to see if there were other threads addressing this subject...I found a few but most were on a specific topic. So...that said I am seeking the rules (written and unwritten...spoken or whispered...the good...the bad...and the ugly) What say ye Brethren...what is cool and what is not cool at comps? I'll start...

Cool...

Helping folks set up...
Helping folks tear down
Sharing stories and swapping bbq lies...
Having a few cold ones and a nice cigar...
Helping new teams get it together...
Sharing cooking tips and tricks with the new folks...
Sharing parsley or lettuce when yours arrives DOA...
Sharing smokewoods, meats, charcoal or anything that a fellow team may have forgotten...
Potlucks...

Not Cool...

SHIGGING...
Sending in spies to SHIG for you...
Trying to pressure someone to give up an award winning recipe...
Loud music after quiet hours...
Stealing...
Walking in to your camp un-invited...
Taking pics without permission...

My two cents...

HONCHO GREGORY
06-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Under NOT COOL.

I did this not thinkin it would upset the person/team
I took a pix of the dessert turn in as they walked by all of the teams
Then I posted it on Face Book out of respect for them

I heard about it a at an big event from them. I'm sorry I didn't think it was a bad think. Till I heard the reason. I'm more sorry now and will not do that again
Your right,,SO NO PIX is a good one for your list

Thanks for starting this topic. I'm sure it will help newbies. I learned the hard way.
I'm just glad I didn't loose a Great Friend over this.
No I'm not tellin, but they know who they are

bigdogphin
06-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Cool....

Keeping your site area clean

Not cool.....

Borrowing something and not returning it in a timely manner.

Shotgun smokers
06-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Cool....

Keeping your site area clean

Not cool.....

Borrowing something and not returning it in a timely manner.

Like a thermapen...... I'm still waiting for someone to return it.

rxcellentq
06-09-2011, 10:55 PM
as a newbie I appreciate the thread. have to ask what is SHIGGING?

Shotgun smokers
06-09-2011, 10:55 PM
I also have to agree 100% with what you had to say JD!

Big Ace
06-09-2011, 11:03 PM
as a newbie I appreciate the thread. have to ask what is SHIGGING?

From http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shigging

shigging (shig-ging) , 1. v. to enter a persons BBQ site with intent of stealing BBQ secrets in an effort to improve one's own BBQ score. 2. v. to position one's self to view the contents of the inside of a fellow competitors BBQ pit when it is opened

ssbbqguy
06-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Shigging, well think about how some handle this. Some just keep on working and it doesn't bother them, some intentionally throw a curve for meaness, some just stop and talk or say leave. Myself, if you want to know something, come ask and I'll probably set you on the right path. Try to force or intimidate me, well let's just say you won't get very far. Lie or decieve to gain secrets, stealing or abuse of curfew rules won't be tolerated, period.I've cut power cords into many pieces when organizer's nads shrunk. Just ask, and show some respect and you will get some in return. Always ask about pics, never assume. Some of us that are serious just won't put up with any BS. It's better to learn here rather than there, trust me. Steve.

Rub
06-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Not cool:
A beer drinker showing up to a contest with no beer.
Teams with multiple members sending a 'goon' over to get a single man team inebriated.

Cool:
Loaning whatever anybody needs if you have it, including rub and sauce.
Being genuinely happy for your friends when they do well.
Keeping bets to a dollar a category and a dollar for the overall.
Signed dollars from bets.

Sledneck
06-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Not cool

Screaming like you just won the lottery when you get a call. New teams are excused from this .if you have had many calls previously it's a bit tacky.

JD McGee
06-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Cool...

Hanging around after the awards to congratulate all the winners...even if you tanked...:cool:

Un-cool...

Packin' your chit and buggin' out asap without a congrats tossed to the winners...poor sportsmanship sucks! :tsk:

Slamdunkpro
06-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Un-cool - surreptitiously dumping your grey water behind another team's site instead of taking it to the grey water dump so the other team catches hell from the organizer and the temas down hill from them.

bmanMA
06-10-2011, 12:24 AM
cool:
hanging out around a campfire sharing spirits, etc.
chatting about our shared bbq affection
finding common threads

cons:
not doing those cool things

NorthwestBBQ
06-10-2011, 01:08 AM
I did a search to see if there were other threads addressing this subject...I found a few but most were on a specific topic. So...that said I am seeking the rules (written and unwritten...spoken or whispered...the good...the bad...and the ugly) What say ye Brethren...what is cool and what is not cool at comps? I'll start...

Cool...

Helping folks set up...
Helping folks tear down
Sharing stories and swapping bbq lies...
Having a few cold ones and a nice cigar...
Helping new teams get it together...
Sharing cooking tips and tricks with the new folks...
Sharing parsley or lettuce when yours arrives DOA...
Sharing smokewoods, meats, charcoal or anything that a fellow team may have forgotten...
Potlucks...

Not Cool...

SHIGGING...
Sending in spies to SHIG for you...
Trying to pressure someone to give up an award winning recipe...
Loud music after quiet hours...
Stealing...
Walking in to your camp un-invited...
Taking pics without permission...

My two cents...

Seriously? I know you ain't talking about me, yes?

Q-Dat
06-10-2011, 01:19 AM
Not Cool

Not realizing that not everyone enjoys your music as much as you do.
Hanging out at the booth of a team that is obviously full of Church folks and dropping F-Bombs twice in every sentence.

Cool

Making friends.

BBQchef33
06-10-2011, 01:48 AM
cool
all cools above ^^^^

not cool..
Loud Worksite generators or locomotives. Even outside of quiet time.
Leaving your junk(unburned wood, busted chairs/ezups/tables)at your site when u leave for the organizer to clean up.
ignoring curfew
Shutting off other sites electric or water.

JD McGee
06-10-2011, 01:56 AM
Seriously? I know you ain't talking about me, yes?

I am not talking about anyone in particular here...just certain folks that like to do all or some of the "un-cool" stuff...

Nice pic btw...:thumb:

Q-Dat
06-10-2011, 02:07 AM
Shutting off other sites electric or water.

Did someone do that to you Boss?

BBQchef33
06-10-2011, 02:51 AM
Did someone do that to you Boss?

A few times water was shut off when a team decided to take their Y connector and leave everyone downstream disconnected. Thats just rude.. One contest, we had to go searching for the break and it was like 20 sites down. Everyone was just wandering around waiting for it to come back on. :confused: my kid traced it down and found the hose disconnected.

Electric, I have had a power strip shut off several times in one contest while running a fast eddy. And since it was hanging about 5 feet off the ground, i dont think someone accidentally kicked it. We run off a honda generator, so only the strip running the FE was effected, and we didnt notice for a while. :mad2: weird thing was that it was during a peoples choice comp.. :crazy:

havent seen it happen first hand, but Ive heard of folks getting cords cut into pieces too.. thats definatley NOT COOL. :hand:

FamilyManBBQ
06-10-2011, 03:49 AM
Some "cool" that we have experienced...

Veteran teams helping with tips and tricks
Veteran teams answering any and all questions
Teams letting Katie use their space/gear for Kids Q
All the kids of comp teams hanging out (with Katie under our canopy...pretty sure this is cool...I think, maybe :becky:)
Sharing of space, equipment, suppplies, red cups etc.
10:00 shots!!!

"cool" we have observed...

Promotion of the sanctioning body, the event, and bbq in general to the public
Teams answering all questions from general public and/or showing off their gear
Loudest cheers for "new" teams getting a call

Dale P
06-10-2011, 06:00 AM
COOL- Feeding me and giving me your beer.

NOT COOL- Bad food and hot beer.

I havent had too many problems so far but there will always be some pecker head around to give somebody grief. Thats just the way it is.

Crash
06-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Un-cool - surreptitiously dumping your grey water behind another team's site instead of taking it to the grey water dump so the other team catches hell from the organizer and the temas down hill from them.

100% agreed! Water running through your camp, when dumped by another team sucks.

Sawdustguy
06-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Cool:

Seeing teams that you have not seen since last year...

Not Cool:

Behaving like your chit don't stink.......

deepsouth
06-10-2011, 09:12 AM
this is an interesting thread.

it really reminds me that common sense must not be so common.

Alexa RnQ
06-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Now THAT sounds like fun! I want to start that out here!

Lake Dogs
06-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Now THAT sounds like fun! I want to start that out here!
I was thinking that too; VERY ULTRA cool. A $1 momento. Priceless.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
06-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Cool- Taking the hint and leaving a site when somebody says they are busy

Not cool -
-staying at another teams site like you belong there, even if they have dropped hints to leave
-Tasting meat, sauces or rubs at a site when not invited to

tmcmaster
06-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Not cool:

Taking EVERY trophy, ribbon, etc with you EVERY time you get a call.

Cool:

Being offered to sample meats and returning the favor to anyone within spittin' distance.
Neighborly neighbors.
Helping everyone around you (espeically smaller teams) with tear down.

tmcmaster
06-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Electric, I have had a power strip shut off several times in one contest while running a fast eddy. And since it was hanging about 5 feet off the ground, i dont think someone accidentally kicked it. We run off a honda generator, so only the strip running the FE was effected, and we didnt notice for a while. :mad2: weird thing was that it was during a peoples choice comp.. :crazy:

havent seen it happen first hand, but Ive heard of folks getting cords cut into pieces too.. thats definatley NOT COOL. :hand:

I have heard of this as well from more than one team, most definatly beyond just NOT COOL, to downright evil.

Jorge
06-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Not cool -
-staying at another teams site like you belong there, even if they have dropped hints to leave
-Tasting meat, sauces or rubs at a site when not invited to

With you and Chris there?:shocked::wink:

ique
06-10-2011, 10:16 AM
A few times water was shut off when a team decided to take their Y connector and leave everyone downstream disconnected.

Yeah cause you just have to collect your $6 y connector. :roll:

Dan - 3eyzbbq
06-10-2011, 10:38 AM

Not sure the $6 is the reason. Maybe its based on who is downstream? :laugh:

ParkAvenue_2
06-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Great topic.

We've witnessed all of these:

Cool

-Using gloves when handling food that will go to the judges
-Making sure you are downhill from other teams when draining your cooler
-Making enough dessert on Friday night for neighboring teams
-Acting as the "mon back" guy for a team trying to back a 30+ ft RV into a tiny site :)

-Thanking an organizer who's worked tirelessly to put on a good contest and treated teams well ( Jim Altic, thanks again, everyone should run events like you do! :thumb: )

-Going out of your way to make a team you've never met before feel welcome ( Rodney of All American BBQ - you're awesome )

Not Cool

-Walking into someone's site with lit cigarette while they are prepping meat

-Dumping a bucket of hot coals right next to a pile of straw bales and then driving away, leaving someone else to douse the straw when it is set ablaze

-Fumbling a brisket into the dirt, picking it up, dusting it off, then putting it into your smoker without washing it clean

-Carrying your turn in box sideways in a carry bag up to the turn in area

-Yanking out another team's electric hookup to plug in your own cord

Fatback Joe
06-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Not cool:

Not educating your visitors on the comp etiquette
Not keeping your visitors from spilling over into neighboring cook sites.

Cool:

The vast majority of the competitors out there.

PimpSmoke
06-10-2011, 11:03 AM
under not cool,

music for the entire comp, all the time, whether they want it or not.

under cool,

driving to a comp you're not competing in to hook up a Bro with fuel (thanx Bubba)

virginia lawyer
06-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Cool: sharing your hose with rookie noob 1-man team (thanks again 3-eyz! :clap2:)

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-10-2011, 01:21 PM
cool..

allowing other teams to piggy back off your electrical cords and hoses so they dont have to run the extra 100 feet.
hooking tents together in bad weather so every one servives.
taking the time to fix another teams stuff, even when you really dont have the time.

uncool..

borrowing stuff and not returning the favor when asked.
having someone pick stuff up for you and not paying for it.

BBQchef33
06-10-2011, 01:30 PM
cool..

allowing other teams to piggy back off your electrical cords and hoses so they dont have to run the extra 100 feet.
hooking tents together in bad weather so every one servives.
taking the time to fix another teams stuff, even when you really dont have the time.

uncool..

borrowing stuff and not returning the favor when asked.
having someone pick stuff up for you and not paying for it.

or talking someone off the ledge whos about to have a meltdown, and helping a tweaked and exhausted fat guy build parsley boxes at midnight before he passes out face down on a prep table.

thanks Gnome! COOL!!

luckyduk
06-10-2011, 01:35 PM
^^^^^All of the above

One of the things that p!sses me off more than anything is when a team dumps there ash without a worry that the wind is blowing into your camp!!!

cmcadams
06-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Cool:
supplying the liquid for the 8 am toast
having an extra 6 pack or so for unexpected visitors
encouraging new teams instead of smack talking them
sitting around all night talking to other brethren instead of sleeping

Uncool:
telling dirty jokes to my wife
only sharing rot gut beer and keeping the good stuff for yourself
telling others that their rig is inferior because it's not a stick burner, FE, whatever
letting your dog piss on a competitors stock of wood (yes, seen it happen)

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-10-2011, 01:41 PM
or talking someone off the ledge whos about to have a meltdown, and helping a tweaked and exhausted fat guy build parsley boxes at midnight before he passes out face down on a prep table.

thanks Gnome! COOL!!

any time!! it may be a competition but that doesnt mean you cant help out a brother in need...and at some point we all can use a little help from a friend,,

jbrink01
06-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Cool;
Getting invited for breakfast (Thanks TrueQue)!
Not Cool;
Dumping your ash when the wind is blowing into my area....

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
06-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Not Cool:
Sending a little girl around with a camera to photo everything in your campsite while you are trying to prepare turn-ins!!!

Organizers who put up signs asking the general public not to disturb teams during turn-ins. Seems someone should post some rules of etiquette for the public visiting competitions.

Not Cool:
Asking people to bucket their water in to a site at a National Competition qualifier!

Telling a team in a tent in 90+F weather not to plug their fan in because it might trip the breaker running the air conditioners on the line of RV's.

TN_BBQ
06-10-2011, 05:10 PM

Hopefully folks carry a Y connector with them. Heck...if for no other reason than to make sure you don't have to hunt for the hose only to find somebody is already using it.

Ashmont
06-10-2011, 05:15 PM
un-cool Dont push over the Johnny on spot with someone in it Nope didn't do it but would have been fun

TN_BBQ
06-10-2011, 05:23 PM
un-cool Dont push over the Johnny on spot with someone in it Nope didn't do it but would have been fun

I probably would get to use my pocket knife if that ever happened to me (and I don't necessarily mean to cut myself out of the porta potty)

ClayHill
06-10-2011, 11:07 PM
not cool....

During windy events, lighting a charcoal chimney starter with newspaper, while up wind of a fellow competitor.

Newspaper ashes suck when trying to prep meat...

TN_BBQ
06-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Blocking the driveway during load in/load out is un-cool. Get organized before you park the truck...and stay with the truck.

bdodd444
06-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Cool....

Strangers mentoring a new father/daughter team in the Backyard Event and convincing them to try a KCBS competition.

Very Cool...

3EYZ

JD McGee
06-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Good morning Brethren...we had us an "un-cool" last night...team next to us was partying very loudly all night...lucky for me we slept in the comp trailer...and I brought ear plugs! Then the wind kicked up and blew their chit every where...justice served! Lol!

bmanMA
06-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Oh man. We are still tenting it. Would have drived me nuts.
I am thinking that I would send my teammate over there to absorb all of their libations and put an end to it all. Eh?

ssbbqguy
06-11-2011, 10:34 AM
That's why I've been known to cut the cords of the offender.A few years back, a very large team thought it would be cool to show projection movies, with surround sound all night long. They said that to many when asked about quiet time.The speakers used that evening were good enough to class as a mini PA sytem. This was a KCBS contest and it was stated very clearly about quiet time.But after enough liquid courage these guys kept getting louder and louder. After the reps. and cops talked to them and left they again lit it up. By now my neighborly approach has lessened significantly. Around 1:30am, enough was enough and the guys were told either quiet down and show some respect or the power goes off. Ignoring me isn't wise. Ten minutes or so later they're all wondering why it's so dark and not one of the seven had enough nads to say any more until the next morning. Then they tried expalning a long overdue party and more disrespectful jibberish. Bottom line is I came home with a broken eardrum because of the noise, could barely drive, couldn't work for several weeks and had the worst contest finish I'd had in years. After hundreds of comps., these clowns set the bar for ignorance. No one has ever come close. I go to comps to do my best, have fun seeing friends and promote my products or services. Not to be disrespected from anyone. Not there for that. Steve.

Muzzlebrake
06-11-2011, 11:37 AM
That's why I've been known to cut the cords of the offender.A few years back, a very large team thought it would be cool to show projection movies, with surround sound all night long. They said that to many when asked about quiet time.The speakers used that evening were good enough to class as a mini PA sytem. This was a KCBS contest and it was stated very clearly about quiet time.But after enough liquid courage these guys kept getting louder and louder. After the reps. and cops talked to them and left they again lit it up. By now my neighborly approach has lessened significantly. Around 1:30am, enough was enough and the guys were told either quiet down and show some respect or the power goes off. Ignoring me isn't wise. Ten minutes or so later they're all wondering why it's so dark and not one of the seven had enough nads to say any more until the next morning. Then they tried expalning a long overdue party and more disrespectful jibberish. Bottom line is I came home with a broken eardrum because of the noise, could barely drive, couldn't work for several weeks and had the worst contest finish I'd had in years. After hundreds of comps., these clowns set the bar for ignorance. No one has ever come close. I go to comps to do my best, have fun seeing friends and promote my products or services. Not to be disrespected from anyone. Not there for that. Steve.

wow! their system broke you eardrum??:shocked:

ssbbqguy
06-11-2011, 12:27 PM
That's what the doctor told me. No kidding.That's why I'm more sensitive to my hearing loss.Steve.

Gowan
06-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Lots of good stuff in this thread already, here are a few I didn't see yet...

:cool: Cool!
Supplying swag to add to the contest's goodie bags
Offering to share a fresh pot of coffee with your neighbors in the wee hours
Thanking the organizers for their hospitality
Patronizing the local sponsors of the contest

:sad: Uncool.
Using tobacco in another team's camp without asking if it is okay first
Sleeping in your truck with the diesel engine running all night
Badmouthing other teams or judges
Putting unbagged trash in the cans or leaving over-weight bags of trash for the volunteers to wrangle

Muzzlebrake
06-11-2011, 09:49 PM
That's what the doctor told me. No kidding.That's why I'm more sensitive to my hearing loss.Steve.

man thats loud! I would have been PO'ed too!

NorthwestBBQ
06-11-2011, 09:50 PM
man thats loud! I would have been PO'ed too!

I would sue.

Rookie'48
06-12-2011, 01:49 AM
A few times water was shut off when a team decided to take their Y connector and leave everyone downstream disconnected.

Or the jackass that took MY connector when he left :mad2:.

FamilyManBBQ
06-12-2011, 02:01 AM
Cool....

Strangers mentoring a new father/daughter team in the Backyard Event and convincing them to try a KCBS competition.

Very Cool...

3EYZ

That sounds kinda familiar!! Very cool indeed!! :cool::cool::cool:

tmcmaster
06-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Something I forgot to mention int he COOL side:

Usually R-rated conversation by neighboring teams turning into G-rated conversation when kids arrive. I can't tell you how much that means to a parent of small kids!!!

As well as letting me borrow an oven thermometer to verify that my mounted thermometer is off by about 40 degrees (Thanks Poobah!!). Totally awesome!

zzque
06-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Helping run a water chain with everyone's hoses including yours and spliiters when the only source of water is over 200 ft away.

Dr_KY
06-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Not cool-
Shigging then making the excuses that you were invited into the camp so that covers your a~~ on the issue.

Being so far up an organizers back side you can't see daylight simply because you have a co-dependent need to be a part of something and that warm place will do nicely.

Not even considering the thought of being clean let alone looking it when dealing with food.

Serious chest/ back sweat and dripping sweat from every orifice around anyone's food even your own if turning in or handing out.

Cool-
Helping those that genuinely need it.

Pigs on Fire
06-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Not cool

Screaming like you just won the lottery when you get a call. New teams are excused from this .if you have had many calls previously it's a bit tacky.

Sorry, but I vehemently disagree. It's a lot of work and effort to even show up to a comp, cook all four meats and turn them on time. If your name gets called, you have every right to make a little noise. You've accomplished something.

Sure, maybe jumping up and down and screaming if you get called 4 (or 5) times is a little much, even rubbing it in, but giving a little hoot or holler and slapping some high fives is perfectly acceptable in my book.

This is a good thread. At the same time, it shows the severe degeneration of this country. All of these "un-cool" things go on in everyday life...especially on the roads. There's just a general lack of respect for humankind nowadays.

Greendriver
06-13-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm just glad that I have experienced so many of the "cool" things and not so many of the "uncool" ones. Oh...and sorry I have been quilty on a few of the "uncool" ones, but I strive to do better each time I go and maybe if I keep going I'll be totally COOL one day.

Sledneck
06-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Sorry, but I vehemently disagree. It's a lot of work and effort to even show up to a comp, cook all four meats and turn them on time. If your name gets called, you have every right to make a little noise. You've accomplished something.

Sure, maybe jumping up and down and screaming if you get called 4 (or 5) times is a little much, even rubbing it in, but giving a little hoot or holler and slapping some high fives is perfectly acceptable in my book.

This is a good thread. At the same time, it shows the severe degeneration of this country. All of these "un-cool" things go on in everyday life...especially on the roads. There's just a general lack of respect for humankind nowadays.
You vehemently disagree then go on to say a "little noise" and "little hoot and holler" Thats not where i was going with my comment. Jumping & screaming is none of those things. I see nothing wrong with a little yell . fist pump or whatever people do. I have seen a few teams , one specifically who i was gearing this toward. This team has many many GC's Is not and member here and no i wont say who it is. Many have PM'd me and guessed the team and they were right so im not the only one thinking it. Even when its beyond obvious that they are gonna get the GC they jump up and scream in a ridiculous fashion.Its beyond rubbing it in and seems very fake and very unsportsmanlike.

RangerJ
06-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Cool - Every team that has ever given me advice or pointers or provided a piece of kit I left behind during a comp when they did not have to.

Uncool - The first time competitor who needed to go to his hotel room to prep his chicken leaving me to try and save his EZ UP multiple times before finally letting it launch across the Sams Parking lot. Seems he did not feel it was necessary to heed our advice about the water buckets.

FamilyManBBQ
06-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Good morning Brethren...we had us an "un-cool" last night...team next to us was partying very loudly all night...lucky for me we slept in the comp trailer...and I brought ear plugs! Then the wind kicked up and blew their chit every where...justice served! Lol!

I bet they were just tryin' to prevent the third consecutive GC for Wine Country Q...too bad it didn't work!! :becky: Congrats, my friend!!

INmitch
06-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Uncool and I mean VERY uncool:
Going to WI Dells last year befor getting an RV (Wife says I'll go if you get a private porta potty and paying $80 extra) . Then everyone using it & the douchbag next to us trying to make me feel like a prick for not letting him & his crew use it!!!
COOL!!!
Being set up by THE PERRY BROS at our 1st real comp & being made to feel welcome there. Dale P & Matt you guys Rock!:thumb:

Rookie'48
06-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Uncool - The first time competitor who needed to go to his hotel room to prep his chicken .....

What the Fark?!?! You're telling me that after his meat was inspected he left the contest area & took his comp meat with him??? I'm not sure if this is a violation, but if it ain't then it should be! :mad2:

rksylves
06-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Cool
Helping out another team or making an offer to help when it is obviously needed but being sure not to be a pest.
Lending an extension cord, water hose, thermometer, etc.
Offering a beer, a cup of joe, a taste of the product, word of encouragement, a congratulations.
Bigger/More successful teams giving honest tips to up & comers.

Most cool of all:
A mentor/teacher who gives a complete noob a chance by inviting him into his kitchen during a comp and answering all of my really stupid questions and giving me priceless advice (you know who you are). Then being a very good friend and occasional teammate.

Uncool
Bringing a sound/lighting system big enough for a rock concert (complete with trusses and bubble machine) and making me listen to crap music the whole comp with the speakers pointed right at me 10 yards away that goes on until the wee hours.
A non-team member letting themselves into my trailer un-invited and un-announced before I can put away stuff that I don't want you to see.

Russ

watg?
06-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Cool-

Helping, sharing, and mentoring anyone. This can be said for new teams as well as established teams, while some teams will go out of their way to try to shig or learn by deception, it isn’t a bad thing to answer a guys question correctly if all he is looking for is a little guidance. I have also witnessed nearby teams join together to help a late arriving team get set up quickly. Good stuff.

Friendships made that will last a lifetime. The BBQ circuit reminds me of a high school reunion, you don’t see these folks but for a few times a year, and for a few minutes a time. But, after exchanging a hearty greeting, the conversation is like one you would have with a buddy you see every day or the kid you sat next to in History class 30 years ago. Amazing.

Good vibes times ten. I know of some teams that welcome visitors (in the off times). Their sites have become habitual happy hour stops particularly on Thursday evening before the contest gets into gear. The guys are hospitable and welcome everyone. It is good mojo and I am sure one of many the reasons they do so well on Saturday afternoon. Good vibes.

Not cool-

Leaving a spot-a-pot in a way that NO ONE would be able to use the unit after you. (enough said)

Taking a position and watching with a smug look on your face while the team just arriving struggles to jostle their rig into the spot next to you. This is done without making even the smallest effort to assist or move your easy-up post or trash can which would allow the arriving team to cut 15-20 minutes off of their parking maneuver. This same principle applies to departing teams as well.

Leaving your hose, with no connection washer, to spray and leak all weekend causing the entire area around the hose junction to become very swamp-like. This includes the site located directly adjacent to the previously mentioned hose junction.

Commentary-

This is a great post and to agree with some of the previous brothers, most of what we are talking about here is common sense. I also agree that the lack of common sense is not limited to BBQ cooks at contests; it is everywhere and seems to be getting worse by the minute.

I will also say that as a group, the BBQ teams and cooks that I have met in my short time being involved in this game have, for the most part, fallen under the “cool” distinction. The run-ins with the not cool have been limited and would, in my opinion be considered very rare.

This being said, I make a motion to the floor: I motion that everyone add a section to their contest checklist to do something positive at least once to another cook or team at each and every contest. While many of you already have this covered, by making it a requirement, it may be contagious. Perhaps, by seeing an increase in common sense based activity, those that might be inclined to make a deliberate move in the not cool direction might, and I say again might, be persuaded to re-think their activity before hand, thereby making the entire contest experience more enjoyable and less aggravating for everyone.

Perhaps this new way of thinking, less selfish, more considerate, less drama, more willing to help their neighbor, would carry out even further than the BBQ circuit and in to the great world beyond, making the big blue ball we live on a better place for all…….then again, maybe not.:laugh:

bigjonsBBQ
06-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Leaving your hose, with no connection washer, to spray and leak all weekend causing the entire area around the hose junction to become very swamp-like. This includes the site located directly adjacent to the previously mentioned hose junction.

George,
I need to say thanks to your team for coming through with that washer for my hose in Middletown! It was a brand new hose and came with such a crummy washer. I would have unhooked it if it didnt stop. I owe you guys one!

Jon

COOL
I have to agree with everyone on the cool stuff. I am still pretty much a newb, and appreciate all the tips and things like that. I do try and offer help whenever I can to other teams, knowing how much I got at my 1st comp when I knew almost nothing last year.

UNCOOL

Organizers need to let it be known that general public can not cut through competitors areas to get to the beer tent, This past weekend, myself and friend's team had to put a plastic chain up so they would stop cutting through. I almost saw someone fall face first into my smoke box, when I was on the other end of my site. :doh:

Sledneck
06-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Cool-

Helping, sharing, and mentoring anyone. This can be said for new teams as well as established teams, while some teams will go out of their way to try to shig or learn by deception, it isnít a bad thing to answer a guys question correctly if all he is looking for is a little guidance. I have also witnessed nearby teams join together to help a late arriving team get set up quickly. Good stuff.

]VERY VERY COOL: Trimming 3 packages of another teams chicken at 2AM :becky:

watg?
06-14-2011, 09:20 AM
VERY VERY COOL: Trimming 3 packages of another teams chicken at 2AM :becky:

I heard this was performed after copious amounts of Crown and without loosing a digit or even a drop of blood, a miracle for sure, good thing your knifes weren't sharp. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

RangerJ
06-14-2011, 09:48 AM
What the Fark?!?! You're telling me that after his meat was inspected he left the contest area & took his comp meat with him??? I'm not sure if this is a violation, but if it ain't then it should be! :mad2:

Not sure if it is, seems the same as disppearing in the RV?

What should have been a violation was showing up at your first comp with a custom painted Jambo J3!

ique
06-14-2011, 09:49 AM

They should of been DQ'd

Big Ugly's BBQ
06-14-2011, 12:40 PM
With you and Chris there?:shocked::wink:

Usually the death stare is good enough, but there have been times, where the Dumba$$ had to be "escorted" out.......

timzcardz
06-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Uncool - The first time competitor who needed to go to his hotel room to prep his chicken leaving me to try and save his EZ UP multiple times before finally letting it launch across the Sams Parking lot. Seems he did not feel it was necessary to heed our advice about the water buckets.

They should of been DQ'd

Here is the rule:

7) All competition meats shall be inspected by the Official
Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest
organizer but not prior to the day before judging. Once the
competition meat has been inspected, it shall not leave the
contest site. . . . .

RangerJ
06-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Not to thread hijack. But I guess that violation of the rules should have been reported. And I believe he was a long time judge as well.

If two people bow out of the Conroe local, he will advance to the Regional.

NOW..its possible his meat was not inspected. However, he arrived about the same time I did, myself and some folks around were "cool" helped him with his EZ Up ( it was straight out of the box), then went about our business. Judges came by and inspected our area, but I can't verify they did his.

As I was prepping meat, he told me he needed to go to the hotel to prep his chicken, something about his "meticulous trimming needed to be done in the AC."

He returned just in time for the cooks meeting to find his new EZ UP rendered worthless after it sailed across the parking lot. Which as mentioned was "uncool".

JD McGee
06-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Cool...
Letting teams know the space sizes and if we can park our comp trailers in our space ahead of time...

Un-cool...
Telling me when I get on site that the spaces are smaller and I can't park my comp trailer in it. Also...saying this in front of the sponsor and making up some lame excuse to save face making me look like a jerk when I call you on it...

Cool...the sponsor finding us a spot anyway!!!

FamilyManBBQ
06-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Cool...
Letting teams know the space sizes and if we can park our comp trailers in our space ahead of time...

Un-cool...
Telling me when I get on site that the spaces are smaller and I can't park my comp trailer in it. Also...saying this in front of the sponsor and making me look like a jerk when I call the organizer on it...

Trouble-Maker!! :twisted:

GQue
06-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Cool - When folks offer you drinks either alocholic or not and start talking to you

Not Cool - When folks dump their waste out of their section and it rolls into yours and they "sorry bout that" but make no attempt to stop or help and you know they really are not sorry about anything or else they would not have done it.

The Giggler
06-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Great thread.

Cool:

-Teams that bring an organizer a token of their appreciation, and thank them for all their hard work organizing a competition on their way in to set up - Thank You Tim Brown from Can't Stop Grillin' for the Big Bottle of Gentleman Jack last year! - That goes down as one of the most classy displays I have ever witnessed in Q.
- Veteran teams who really reach out to newer teams
- Paying it forward when you become a veteran team
- Organizers and teams helping other organizers build great events
- Letting another team know there is a problem at their site when they are either socializing or sleeping. Example: Smokinit (Kevin) of Purple Pork Meisters came to my site where KC and the Smoke Stack Band was socializing after turn ins to let him know that the water pan in his new Fat Boy was empty, and that the pit was on fire on the inside. Nice gesture, Kevin!

Uncool:

- Not being honest about your own performance after a poor showing
- Inappropriate behavior and language around young families
- Disrespectful treatment of Contest Reps who are there to enforce the rules
- Emcees on the mic at an awards ceremony who love to hear themselves talk

TN_BBQ
06-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Cool...

Un-cool...
Telling me when I get on site that the spaces are smaller and I can't park my comp trailer in it. Also...saying this in front of the sponsor and making me look like a jerk when I call the organizer on it...

I agree.

Similarly UNCOOL: buying a 20 foot space and parking a 28 foot trailer across the back of your spot and your neighbor's (mine). Their RV gave the impression to all their guests that their spot was 28 feet wide and we had to shoo more than one of em away after midnight. I don't really blame the drunken idiots (or the RV owner)...and it ain't like they can do much about it once the RV is in place. It was just UNCOOL.

JD McGee
06-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Trouble-Maker!! :twisted:

Me???!!! Only to those that talk out both sides of their faces...

Big Ugly's BBQ
06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
But I have to complain about the other side of that, uncool, organizers telling you the sites are 20x20, and they are short by a couple of feet on both measurements. Makes for some "creative" parking of the trailer.........

CBQ
06-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Similarly UNCOOL: buying a 20 foot space and parking a 28 foot trailer across the back of your spot and your neighbor's (mine).

Yes, UNCOOL. I use an RV now, but I always buy the largest spot they offer and I tell the organizers that I am bringing a motorhome. Some of them will save me a flat spot that is easy to pull in to, which qualfies as COOL.

UNCOOL: Going into a team's site uninvited, with a plate and a fork, and scooping stuff off their cutting board and eating it while they are trying to box it for turn ins. Yes, this really happened to us. :evil: Amazing the chit some people will try.

Almost Not Cool: Having a BBQ event with no BBQ vendors, so the general public feels entitled to start begging the teams for BBQ.

I do have to say that most teams and the general public are very cool. While you will run into the occasional jerk, in my experience they are far outnumbered by people willing to lend a hand.

FamilyManBBQ
06-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Me???!!! Only to those that talk out both sides of their faces...

Right on brother!! Haven't seen full results yet...but, congrats. You two are on a roll!! And that must be VERY cool!!:cool:

TN_BBQ
06-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Almost Not Cool: Having a BBQ event with no BBQ vendors, so the general public feels entitled to start begging the teams for BBQ.

I agree.

Joe Q Public expects to eat BBQ (and who can blame em?). They either need to have a BBQ vendor or let me sell mine.

Smoke & Beers
06-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Uncool: Talking with a veteran competitor over a few drinks on a Friday night about past comps and him complaining about how he got screwed around by the judges at a certain contest and some newbie with very little experience got lucky and won such and such category.

Cool: Telling veteran competitor that you were the "Lucky" newbie

Even cooler: Placing above said veteran competitor again the next day.

Seriously though...great thread and I can agree with all the "cools" and "uncools" posted :thumb:

redneck cooker
06-14-2011, 06:16 PM
If two people bow out of the Conroe local, he will advance to the Regional.

As I was prepping meat, he told me he needed to go to the hotel to prep his chicken, something about his "meticulous trimming needed to be done in the AC."

".

Wes sounds like if he gets to regional, he wont get passed it...:crazy:..and ive never heard trimming thighs called "meticulous"!!:becky::roll:

Slamdunkpro
06-14-2011, 06:30 PM
I agree.

Joe Q Public expects to eat BBQ (and who can blame em?). They either need to have a BBQ vendor or let me sell mine.

Building on this.....

Uncool

Organizers or promoters that run ads for paid attendance events that mislead the public into thinking that their admission to the event gets them free BBQ.

Radio ad
"Come on down to the BBQ cookoff and taste championship BBQ from over 25 teams, only $10 admission ....yada yada yada."

At the event

J Q Public
I want some BBQ
Us
We aren't allowed to give out samples, but you can buy it at the vendors right over there....
J Q Public
What the hell did I pay $10 to get in here for?

monty3777
06-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Really cool: All the folks who have picked up stuff from Hawgeyes and brought it to a comp to save me shipping costs. (Pat, from Dirty Pig, I'm looking at you!)

I have also greatly benefited from teams loaning me things that I simply forget to bring (but should have remembered).

I also think it's cool that I've broken a lot of those "uncool" rules by accident, or without thinking, and I've never had anybody be a jerk about it. This is especially true about hanging out with folks and having that appear to be shigging. I think I inadvertantly did that more than once. I'm to the point where I stay away from teams because I don't want to accidentally wear out my welcome. Now I try and stay back a bit and I wave when walking by. If the team invites me over, I love to hang out, if not I take that as a sign to keep moving.

Also cool: when people are patient with teams that bring kids.

Slamdunkpro
06-14-2011, 07:59 PM
VERY VERY COOL: Trimming 3 packages of another teams chicken at 2AM :becky:

Was this a KCBS event?
Doesn't this violate KCBS rule#2?

2) Each team shall consist of a chief cook and as many assistants as the chief cook deems necessary.
A team shall not compete in more than one contest under the same team name, on the same date.
Chief cooks and/or assistant cooks may only cook for their designated team at the contest they are attending.

ssbbqguy
06-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Cook is key word, not prep.Steve.

NorthwestBBQ
06-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Cook is key word, not prep.Steve.

I totally agree.

redneck cooker
06-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Also cool: when people are patient with teams that bring kids.

Sorry, :doh:to me not cool, i dont think a cook off is a place for small kids....there is gonna be drinkin, foul language(cant stop it all), and a lot of hot pits and cookers...IMHO its a bad idea to bring them with you, and i dont like them parked next to me....they are usually running all over with very little supervision, cause dad is to busy trying to cook comp...and they could get hurt or burned....:shock:

NorthwestBBQ
06-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Small children around hot smokers scare me. I don't like dogs at contests, either.

Alexa RnQ
06-14-2011, 09:35 PM
You're going to have an uphill job keeping the public out, then, because they usually bring both.

NorthwestBBQ
06-14-2011, 09:40 PM
You're going to have an uphill job keeping the public out, then, because they usually bring both.

Tell that to the health department. They do not go for that at all. It is up to the competitor to keep them away from the cooking area. Plastic tape, traffic cones, etc., usually work well. If it doesn't, you need to make a barricade that will. It would break my heart to see a small child get burned on a hot cooker.

nthole
06-14-2011, 10:13 PM
My kids (5 and 2) often show up to comps on the Saturday afternoon when things are almost done. My wife watches them, they don't run around and they really enjoy it, especially if there is a people's choice and they get to 'help', usually handing out sauce or just standing there thinking they are helping.

I don't think it's fair to say cookoffs are about drinking and foul language. Are we such knuckle draggers that we can't control ourselves? Why not rape all the women that walk by while we're at it. Maybe beat up some of the weaker guys and take their wallets; why not, we couldn't help ourselves?

I understand your point, but I think the 'cool' part about us being able to be both adults and act like adults when necessary is indeed cool. And I think it's very cool when my kids come out and support me.

Sledneck
06-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Was this a KCBS event?
Doesn't this violate KCBS rule#2?
Oh boy somebody call the bbq police

FamilyManBBQ
06-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Small children around hot smokers scare me. I don't like dogs at contests, either.

Say it ain't so, brother!! Katie will be very sad! :drama:

riblette
06-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Cool - Sharing the tasty concoctions, other than que, i.e Sticky Pickles, Cherry Bombs, ABTS, what have you

NOT Cool - Teams that incorrectly explain the rules to noobs. I've seen this happen a lot lately, and I know it's well intentioned. It would be horrible to see a team get DQ'd because of it. I always try to have a copy of the rules I can share/reference, even if i'm 99.9% sure, or I refer them to the reps.

Smokin Patriots
06-14-2011, 11:03 PM
After reading all this I have learned quite a bit. Are there any specific things etiquette wise (that have not been mentioned yet), that I should be aware of as I prepare for my first competition? I definately do not want to end up in the un cool category.

Plowboy
06-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Not cool
Having your pants fall down as you are slicing brisket and you just keep on slicing.

Plowboy
06-14-2011, 11:18 PM

Cool
Good luck pig cookies!!!!

riblette
06-14-2011, 11:47 PM
After reading all this I have learned quite a bit. Are there any specific things etiquette wise (that have not been mentioned yet), that I should be aware of as I prepare for my first competition? I definately do not want to end up in the un cool category.

The fact you care enough to be concerned is proabably enough to keep you on the "cool" side. :thumb: Just hang loose, keep a positive attitude, and follow the Golden Rule.

Welcome, and good luck!!!!

NorthwestBBQ
06-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Telling me when I get on site that the spaces are smaller and I can't park my comp trailer in it. Also...saying this in front of the sponsor and making up some lame excuse to save face making me look like a jerk when I call you on it...

Sounds personal, not cool.

Sledneck
06-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Uncool: Giving out samples to the public after turn ins when bbq vendors are available. I see many teams do this. They seem to love hearing the public tell them that its the the best food they ever had. Its free of course they are gonna tell you its the best doh!

NorthwestBBQ
06-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Uncool: Giving out samples to the public after turn ins when bbq vendors are available. I see many teams do this. They seem to love hearing the public tell them that its the the best food they ever had. Its free of course they are gonna tell you its the best doh!

Word.

NorthwestBBQ
06-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Say it ain't so, brother!! Katie will be very sad! :drama:

Chris, I'm talking about kids who are not BBQ savvy.

FamilyManBBQ
06-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Chris, I'm talking about kids who are not BBQ savvy.

For sure! With you on the dogs (Katie and Alex would like to see them banned from all public places)!!

FamilyManBBQ
06-15-2011, 12:25 AM
VERY COOL: the photographer who takes pictues at the event (teams, sites, judging, awards, spectators) and then shares them with everyone.

We've got a great one here in the PNWBA. I look forward to his pics...makes me relive the comps I was at, and makes me feel like I was at the comps I missed.

JD McGee
06-15-2011, 09:25 AM

Definitely...unfortunately it takes that turn sometimes when people don't take responsibilty for their own actions...:tsk:

MattG
06-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Not Cool
LOUD GENERATORS
Cussing like a sailor no matter who is around no matter what age
Acting better than everyone else
Dumping water so that in runs into another teams site
Cutting through another teams site
Using someone else sink without asking then filling up the gray tank.:tsk:

Cool
Sharing stories of past events
Helping out with teardown. (For a 1 man team it's hard to tear down a pop up):rolleyes:
Showing trailer set ups or comp set ups (Before cooking starts)

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
My kids (5 and 2) often show up to comps on the Saturday afternoon when things are almost done. My wife watches them, they don't run around and they really enjoy it, especially if there is a people's choice and they get to 'help', usually handing out sauce or just standing there thinking they are helping.

I don't think it's fair to say cookoffs are about drinking and foul language. Are we such knuckle draggers that we can't control ourselves? Why not rape all the women that walk by while we're at it. Maybe beat up some of the weaker guys and take their wallets; why not, we couldn't help ourselves?

I understand your point, but I think the 'cool' part about us being able to be both adults and act like adults when necessary is indeed cool. And I think it's very cool when my kids come out and support me.

my 7 year old comes to all the comps for awards, she is well behaved and has made many bbq friends young and old and doggies..these are not adult only functions and most are built around family events. I 100% agree with you. If an adult cant maintain in a family environment maybe they should be the ones not allowed to attend.

ique
06-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Sorry, :doh:to me not cool, i dont think a cook off is a place for small kids....there is gonna be drinkin, foul language(cant stop it all), and a lot of hot pits and cookers...IMHO its a bad idea to bring them with you, and i dont like them parked next to me....they are usually running all over with very little supervision, cause dad is to busy trying to cook comp...and they could get hurt or burned....:shock:

Its not kids that are the problem... its bad parents that are the problem.

RangerJ
06-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Well perhaps we are heathens here in Texas but things are different and bigger.

I'd venture to say the average space is 40 x 40. Friday night is like a corporate party and I would venture to say that Jeff is correct, that roughly 90% of the sites are not kid friendly or appropriate places for them.

I have no issues with them as I can control myself, can't say the same for my 24 year old son when he attends, but the majority of the sites / teams are throwing down on Friday night and this can carry over through Saturday. You'd really have to see it to understand. It takes the "cooking teams" and "drinking teams" concept to another level.

If you really want to see knuckle dragging debauchery, head to the Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo cook off.:shock:

FamilyManBBQ
06-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Don't know if I'm a "cool" on "un-cool" parent...

My, now 9 year-old, daughter is the "Me" in "Daddy and Me BBQ." We don't do a lot of events...a handful of one-day events, and several two-day comps so far. For us, this is some quality father/daughter time. She's the only kid I know with a pink shelf in their room for their bbq trohpies/awards!!

She, too, has made many bbq friends both young and old. She's had a great time doing this...sometimes that means cooking, and sometimes that means hanging out with the other kids at the event. Overall, it's been nothing but a positive experience.

I've heard from several other teams that they cannot wait until their young ones are old enough to help...or, that they wish that their kids were interested in bbq. The general public often comments on our logo, and seems to appreciate our working together.

I know Katie has seen/heard things that she otherwise may not have...then again, she has two teenage brothers!! :becky: We've had other teams next to us with kids of their own, we've had teams that partied all night, and we've had teams that were very focused on their bbq...I don't think that any of the teams, including ours, have been negatively impacted at all.

Thinking about it, I am a "cool" parent for sure!!

JD McGee
06-15-2011, 11:40 AM
We do not mind kids at comps...for the most part they are well aware of hot things having been there done that before. Some of the language they may hear is probably no different than what they hear on the street or at home or at school...

redneck cooker
06-15-2011, 12:02 PM
If you really want to see knuckle dragging debauchery, head to the Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo cook off.:shock:

:becky:You sho right !!!!

monty3777
06-15-2011, 12:26 PM

I completely understand what you are saying, and I agree that uncontrollable children should not be allowed to disrupt other folks. That's why my 4 year old stays home (for now). As for the drinking and foul language, I suppose I can be a bit foul at times, anyone who knows me knows that, but I'm enough of a man to mellow out around children and others who don't know me, or who might be offended. If a person can't control his mouth or his alcohol then he shouldn't be allowed in public, let alone a BBQ comp. To me that's just part of being an adult. My kids have seen that crap and I use it as an opportunity to help them understand how to define the word "bum." Every moment can be a learning moment :heh::thumb:

Diva Q
06-15-2011, 01:04 PM

We have traveled thousands of km with our kids to contests from the Royal to Georgia and everywhere in between. Our kids have met tons of great ppl and made lots and lots of friends along the way. We take them to contests where we think they will have fun - where there are activities to have fun at. It is not the kids that are the problem it would be the parents who don't mind them properly.

Lucky for us we have even had a few Fairy BBQ godmothers and many others who have spoiled our kids and shared with us lots of fun times. If your kids understand the BBQ world understand how it all works and are minded its never a problem. As for the language our daughter has a swear jar for our comp site. If she is there and she catches you it costs a quarter. She has made out like a bandit at some contests and its all in good fun. Some of our best memories from summers past have been at competitions - Que & Cruz in Louisa Virginia next to Big Ugly and their family, Best of the BEst in Douglas Georgia spending time with the real Diva of BBQ Shannon and Bubbas daughter and many teams from the FBA, Roc City Ribfest where we had a compound of 3 teams all whom had kids - Julie & SKip, Andy & Kim and ours plus more, and Boston Hills where our kids have a blast !

BBQ is a social event and I want my family to share in that whenever feasible. To me its just camping with more meat when they are around. Its awesome to me to see folks bring their kids teaching them how to cook and to get to know folks from all over.

Sledneck
06-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Its not kids that are the problem... its bad parents that are the problem.

Ding ding ding ding folks we got a winner!!

Slamdunkpro
06-15-2011, 01:33 PM
As for the language our daughter has a swear jar for our comp site................Que & Cruz in Louisa Virginia next to Big Ugly and their family.........
So, you're saying her college is now fully paid for?:becky:

Fishiest1
06-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Lets be honest, the same folks that don't mind throwing f bombs around a 7 year old girl are probably guilty of other stuff listed as "uncool" on this thread, just saying. I mean it's not like the guy cursing infront of children is going to be all worried about being loud around quiet time. :)

JD McGee
06-15-2011, 02:12 PM
I think it is very important for kids to experience REAL life as opposed to being raised in a sheltered environment. A lot of GOOD stuff happens at comps...more so than the bad. Parents can use the bad stuff as an exampe of how NOT to be when you grow up.

Fishiest1
06-15-2011, 03:33 PM
I think it is very important for kids to experience REAL life as opposed to being raised in a sheltered environment. A lot of GOOD stuff happens at comps...more so than the bad. Parents can use the bad stuff as an exampe of how NOT to be when you grow up.

JD, that's all well and good but in the same breath then when you listed being loud, shigging, stealing, coming in uninvited, taking pics etc. could we not just say don't be sheltered this is "Real" life?

Is it somehow uncool to come in uninvited or be loud after hours but it's okay to curse infront of kids because cursing is "Real life" and the other things some how aren't?

Big Ugly's BBQ
06-15-2011, 03:54 PM
So, you're saying her college is now fully paid for?:becky:

Geezzz, thanks (I think)............:roll:

JD McGee
06-15-2011, 04:40 PM
JD, that's all well and good but in the same breath then when you listed being loud, shigging, stealing, coming in uninvited, taking pics etc. could we not just say don't be sheltered this is "Real" life?

Is it somehow uncool to come in uninvited or be loud after hours but it's okay to curse infront of kids because cursing is "Real life" and the other things some how aren't?

I said they were un-cool...not un-real. All that un-cool stuff really happens...that's the reality of it. To bring kids to comps expecting sunshine and daisies is unrealistic...bring them...don't bring them...no skin off my Ashtabula. Our camp isn't one of the ones creating problems...
Are we perfect? NO...I drop an "F" bomb on occasion when I fark something up. I also am very cognizant of small children in our area and make it a point to watch my language as much as possible...and NO...I do NOT think it is ok to curse around children...but it DOES happen in real life...all the time!

Dr_KY
06-15-2011, 05:41 PM
My kids are a part of my team and I HATE competing without them around.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2uptvmt.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/34hj4w3.jpg

boogiesnap
06-15-2011, 06:26 PM
^^^nice.

monty3777
06-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Cool
Good luck pig cookies!!!!

I wondered whether or not that guy in your trailer gave those to you :heh:

smokincracker
06-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Not cool:
A beer drinker showing up to a contest with no beer.
Teams with multiple members sending a 'goon' over to get a single man team inebriated.

Cool:
Loaning whatever anybody needs if you have it, including rub and sauce.
Being genuinely happy for your friends when they do well.
Keeping bets to a dollar a category and a dollar for the overall.

lol rollin on da flo........ruuuub thats funny

NorthwestBBQ
06-15-2011, 08:48 PM
VERY COOL: the photographer who takes pictues at the event (teams, sites, judging, awards, spectators) and then shares them with everyone.

We've got a great one here in the PNWBA. I look forward to his pics...makes me relive the comps I was at, and makes me feel like I was at the comps I missed.

I appreciate that, Chris.

JD McGee
06-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by JD McGee http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1673934#post1673934)

Agreed...I should have kept this to myself instead of airing it out in public...my apologies all. Thanks for calling me on it Michael...seriously...I was out of line here...:tsk:

bigdogphin
06-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by JD McGee http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1673934#post1673934)

Agreed...I should have kept this to myself instead of airing it out in public...my apologies all. Thanks for calling me on it Michael...seriously...I was out of line here...:tsk:

Except you are not the only one that this has happened to.

Crash
06-16-2011, 03:04 AM

No offense bro, but this could have been worded much better. The kids aren't the issue. As was said previoulsy, it's the parents.

Big George's BBQ
06-16-2011, 10:53 AM
COOL
Veteran teams helping you and and making you feel welcome. Happened at our first KCBS event Sal was Great and another team tried to help us salvage some disgusting brisket when they saw we had no idea what we were doing. Also at Dover when the tornado destroyed our site- Bob from Guru came and saved us.
Offering good unsolicted advice to help another team
relaxation time with people when set up and prep work is done

Uncool
loud neighbors both voice and music before and after quiet our
Telling you you can not plug into that electric receptacle because it may shut off their AC

Most people/teams that I have met are definately cool

FamilyManBBQ
06-16-2011, 11:57 AM
I appreciate that, Chris.

Meant every word!! Awesome job, brother!!

Now, about those Spring Training pics...:becky: