PDA

View Full Version : Any So-Cal folks been to Phil's BBQ in San Diego?

Saiko
06-09-2011, 07:06 PM
My little sister who lives in San Diego sent me some Phil's BBQ sauce a while back that has been sitting in my pantry for a while.
I was re-heating some ribs tonight and thought I was throw some on. It was actually pretty good for a commercial sauce. Was wondering how the actual que was there. Anybody been?

coach52
06-11-2011, 10:43 AM
I am no expert but I though it wasn't bad alot of sauce but I enjoyed it. It's can be tougher to get good BBQ out in CA.

bbq.tom
06-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Anytime I'm in SD I have to stop in at Phil's!!! BBQ-Chicken is my favorite there, but his beef ribs are HUGE and tasty too!

Good stuff and well worth the time and trouble to find either location.

ALLENY
06-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Phil's barbeque is great. My son went to san diego state and anytime i went to visit him we had to go to phil's. They have an awesome brisket or pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw on top that is amazing. They also have super cold beer on tap in the bar area . I highly recommend phil's.

Big Ace
06-24-2011, 05:17 PM
I use their sauce, it's good stuff, you can get 2 packs at Costco cheaper than buying at the restaurant. Their BBQ is pretty good too, especially their chicken.

sandiegobbq
06-24-2011, 09:42 PM
About 11 years ago I started to throw these outdoor BBQ parties with people that glorified Phil's. I told them that Phil's is just average BBQ and that I can make his taste like dog food!

They didn't believe me but when they came to my parties and tried my BBQ they
apologized and said that I was right.

Phil's is not slow smoked like we do in our backyards, it has to be done differently to serve the thousands of people that come in there.

Phil's is making a fortune right now because San Diego does have not much good BBQ.

His stuff is more grilled than actually smoked.

Some like his sauce others can't stand it.

I guy I know that is from Texas and his brother is a BBQ judge said that there is a new
sheriff in town that is cooking some very good BBQ in Lemon Grove much better than Phil's. http://coopsbbq.com/

I would bet that 90% of the people in this forum can do a much better job than Phil's.

Not a fan as you can tell. lol

Bigmista
06-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Hang on...Brazen BBQ is coming. They will be the new sheriff.

georgeamer
06-27-2011, 01:18 PM
It's the best q' in So. Cal.!