PDA

View Full Version : Brisk Fat Question???

Q-Dat
06-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Ok my current Brisket technique involves separating the point and flat prior to cooking. I trim the fat cap down on the flat very thin. So thin that by the time it is done it is well rendered and very tender. It actually tastes fantastic if you leave it on, but I have been raking it off because I was afraid the judges might not like it, no matter how good it tastes.

Should I consider leaving it on as long as it isn't rubbery or too noticeable?

RangerJ
06-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Perhaps just semantics, but when I hear you says "raking" it off, I think of quite a bit of fat.

Personally, a quick slice with a sharp knife once sliced, takes care of any fat issues I might have and I take almost all of it off.

But I tanked brisket in my last competition, so take that with a grain of salt.

huminie
06-07-2011, 08:04 PM
How does it taste when it is cold? Is it still fantastic? I would bet not, and that is how it will be by the time the judges get to it. Leaving fat on is a mistake IMO.

RobKC
06-07-2011, 09:37 PM
How does it taste when it is cold? Is it still fantastic? I would bet not, and that is how it will be by the time the judges get to it. Leaving fat on is a mistake IMO.

^^^^this^^^^

rookiedad
06-07-2011, 09:43 PM
the best brisket placing i ever got was when i did not seperate the flat from the point and turned in slices that had the flat on top connected to the piont with a thick layer of fat. that was hidden by the other slices and by burnt ends on the first one. fourth place. :becky:

Rub
06-07-2011, 10:04 PM
I'd vote to take it off. There's a lot of people who are turned off by a bite of fat. Five judges may love it, but it only takes one or two who don't. You lose.

Q-Dat
06-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I'm gonna experiment with this. I will see what happens when the fat cools off.

Just so we are clear other than the intense flavor this veeeeeeeerry thin layer of cooked fat is almost undetectable. I'll see if it stays that way after cooling off.

cbagby64
06-07-2011, 10:12 PM
post some pics...

Sledneck
06-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Fat is flavor

Still Smokin
06-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I scrape mine off, got an 8th (of 26) and a 3rd (of 62) on my only 2 comps this year

JD McGee
06-07-2011, 11:04 PM
I separate as well...down to bare meat on the top (get rid of all the silver skin)...1/4 or so fat on the bottom (it renders out)...1st place briskie in Langley, BC...:becky:

INmitch
06-08-2011, 12:18 AM
I seperate the piont and flat when I trim. I trim ALL fat off the middle of the flat. I inject n apply rub on the flat. I think there's enough marbling & coligen (sp) in the flat to keep it plenty moist. That way ya got an awsome smoke ring around all your slices. (of course they don't judge on that) Use those in the front of your box and slice towards the fat weather it be the front or the back of your flat. Whatever is best. If that makes sense.

roksmith
06-08-2011, 06:42 AM
I'll leave a quarter inch or so on the flat. If it renders, great.. if not, I don't mind trimming the fat off the slices prior to boxing either.

Lake Dogs
06-08-2011, 09:37 AM
I'd vote to take it off. There's a lot of people who are turned off by a bite of fat. Five judges may love it, but it only takes one or two who don't. You lose.

Q-Dat, I'll speak from the one judge at the table who happens to HATE fat; I find it fairly disgusting. The problem simply is that it's not up to the judge to remove the fat before taking a bite. At home I'd just pinch-off the fat and go on, no big deal. At a comp I'm required to eat it. Sorry, you'd take a 9 right down to a 6 in texture and possibly a 5 or 6 in taste. I really REALLY despise beef fat. Mind you, if it's been rendered (ala. its now gone), that's fine. I'd scrape any remnants off before turn-in. Actually, we (as a team) DO (scrape the bottom).

One of the main keys in competitions judged like this is trying not to piss off any judge; dont offend them. That's why it should never be too spicy, or too bland, or too sweet, or too salty, or have any fat on it whatsoever.

bover
06-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Warm beef fat is all well and good, but at room temperature it is just gross. Since you only have so much control over the temp of the product by the time the judge takes that bite, I'd strongly recommend getting rid of it. If you do leave it on, I'd recommend putting the slices in the box fat side down. It's just not visually appealing to see it on the top.

Lake Dogs
06-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Warm beef fat is all well and good, but at room temperature it is just gross. Since you only have so much control over the temp of the product by the time the judge takes that bite, I'd strongly recommend getting rid of it. If you do leave it on, I'd recommend putting the slices in the box fat side down. It's just not visually appealing to see it on the top.

Some people find the texture of warm/hot fat gross, and the taste is different from beef (meat), so even if it is flavorful it's not going to help...

I wouldn't hesitate; remove it. Before cook or after, remove it before it goes in the box. JMHO.

bbq.tom
06-08-2011, 05:38 PM
As a judge, I'd much prefer NOT to have fat on the brisket! By the time I get to the piece and start pulling it apart the fat usually has cooled and while the meat may pull apart fairly easily the fat will sometimes be like rubber and NOT pull apart easily. It doesn't gross me out or anything, and I usually don't mind the flavor, but it drops the texture down a point or three. Just my $.02.