PDA

View Full Version : So I am down to two choices

Bbqin fool
06-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Ok guys based on all of your input and all my homework I am down to two choices. The Lang60 and the Bubba Grill 250-R. My question is which is more important to all of you, the added storage space on the Lang or the slide out racks and propane starter of the Bubba? Also has anyone had the experience of cooking on both? Are there big differences? Thanks in advance!

Sawdustguy
06-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Since you are asking, I think sleep during an event is important and with either one of these you will be up feeding them all night. If I had to make a choice I would pick the lang. I have a lang but try not to use it during a comp. I want a good night sleep at a comp.

BBQ Bandit
06-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Another vote for Lang

There are techniques for longer stretches of power naps (3-4 hours)

bigjonsBBQ
06-07-2011, 01:44 PM
I have the Bubba grill with the whole side of storage space. It is about 2.5 by 7' wide. It also has the 2 burners with the 2 tank propane storage. I have had it for 6 months now and have used it a ton already. If you want to know any more info, feel free to PM me.

Of course your going to have guys with langs, say Langs, and guys with Bubba say Bubba.

Lake Dogs
06-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Ok guys based on all of your input and all my homework I am down to two choices. The Lang60 and the Bubba Grill 250-R. My question is which is more important to all of you, the added storage space on the Lang or the slide out racks and propane starter of the Bubba? Also has anyone had the experience of cooking on both? Are there big differences? Thanks in advance!

I have used both, actually. Even though I own a Lang 1160 (sorta between a 60 and an 84), I have more cooking experience on a Bubba. They're both great. The folks that use the starter on the Bubba love it. I never used it much, so it really was kinda extra noise if you will. The fire box on the Lang is bigger. It allowed me to make my own wood grate and set it up higher so that now the air intake are actually completely below the fire.

I purchased the Lang when I was looking for a Bubba, so it was kinda by accident really.

I like the handles (on the expanded steel) and closing mechanisms better on the Bubba, but I like the larger fire box of the Lang. I think the Bubba will have slightly more grill space than the current Lang 60's because of the top shelf. However, if you're going to do a small hog you wont be able to fit it through the 2 doors of the Bubba... You'll have PLENTY of space on both for KCBS, FBA, etc. With MBN you'll be hard pressed to do more than one category on either, particularly the Lang because of the slightly smaller shelf space on the top. We do ribs and shoulder in MBN on the Lang 1160 and we use every extra inch that this model gives us (it has the larger top shelf mounted with C slides) but overlap the top shelf a little using large cookie sheets...

They're so very similar, and they each have slight advantages over the other, it's really more a personal choice.

I love my Lang, and if I had to trade it in, for me, I'd get another Lang. However, Lonnie is a SUPERB guy. Oh, by the way, he won Memphis In May Ribs a few weeks back on one of his smokers....

Bbqin fool
06-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Ok guys. After talking with both Ben and Lonnie and talking it over with the wife I am going to get a bubba! I wanna thank everyone again for your valued input and all your help. Will be posting pictures when I get it!

RangerJ
06-07-2011, 08:06 PM
And you have guys on the site here you can contact if you have questions or issues.

Congratulations on a fine choice! Be sure and post the pictures.

Lake Dogs
06-07-2011, 08:15 PM
I'll give Lonnie grief next competition he whips my butt about a finders fee! :-P

No, seriously, I'm glad you're getting a SIGNIFICANTLY better smoker than you were looking at earlier. And, I'm glad Lonnie got the business. If you're not satisfied with that smoker, I'd be extremely surprised.

bigjonsBBQ
06-08-2011, 12:09 AM
I'll give Lonnie grief next competition he whips my butt about a finders fee! :-P

No, seriously, I'm glad you're getting a SIGNIFICANTLY better smoker than you were looking at earlier. And, I'm glad Lonnie got the business. If you're not satisfied with that smoker, I'd be extremely surprised.

I agree with Lake Dogs, great pit.

redneck cooker
06-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Good desicion, hope you enjoy it...:clap2:

BBQ Bandit
06-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Since you have made a decision, what qualities of the Bubba line made the decision easier for you?

Bbqin fool
06-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Since you have made a decision, what qualities of the Bubba line made the decision easier for you?

The slide out racks were a big factor for me. I don't plan on cooking whole hogs so that kind of narrowed the decision down for me. Plus the propane starter is a nice added bonus if I decide to use it. Also like the double doors and double temp gauges. And finally all the possible add ons.

bigjonsBBQ
06-08-2011, 07:21 PM
I think the Bubba will have slightly more grill space than the current Lang 60's because of the top shelf. However, if you're going to do a small hog you wont be able to fit it through the 2 doors of the Bubba...

I have a Bubba 250, and have not done a whole hog yet, but I am planning on one or 2 this summer. I was just wondering why I would not be able to fit it on my pit? Both doors open wide with the locking mechanism, and there is no center bar, so all I have to do is slide my top 2 racks out, then put porky on and go. The 2 doors overlap.

One other thing, I asked Lonnie to put one of the locking mechanisms on the left door to keep them secure while driving. I was just wondering if that has become standard now? I remember him telling me back in December that they didn't do it because the doors were heavy, but they don't have a lock like a Lang or Meadow Creek.

Can't wait to see some pics! :cool:

Rub
06-08-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm really enjoying my Lang, and I'm sure you'll love your Bubba Grill.
One thing, be very careful with the gas assist. I'm sure they're more safe now, but I 'bout blew myself up with my home built stickburner 7 years ago. :shock::oops::doh:

Bbqin fool
06-09-2011, 04:46 AM
I'm really enjoying my Lang, and I'm sure you'll love your Bubba Grill.
One thing, be very careful with the gas assist. I'm sure they're more safe now, but I 'bout blew myself up with my home built stickburner 7 years ago. :shock::oops::doh:

It's really just there for back up for me in case I'm running behind on starting my fire for some ungodly reason. Thanks for the heads up

bigjonsBBQ
06-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Are you heading down to GA. to pick it up or will you spend the weekend with Lonnie and the team?

Bbqin fool
06-09-2011, 09:19 AM
I haven't talked to Lonnie about that yet. I would prefer making a weekend out of it as it would be very beneficial & extremely fun!

bigjonsBBQ
06-09-2011, 09:44 AM
I think it would have been a great experience to be able to hang out with the team for the weekend and learn some new things. Hopefully, you get that opportunity.

Did you go with the 250R with the side storage space and 2 burners? Thats the one I ended up purchasing. The difference in pricing between the base and the extra storage was not that much.

Bbqin fool
06-09-2011, 04:54 PM
I am getting it with tax return unless I get a really good bonus soon lol. How much price difference between standard and added storage space? That may be a determining factor in my decision. If too much I will go with standard.