PDA

View Full Version : Watsonville, Monterey or Santa Cruz CA

Smoothsmoke
06-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Any good Q joints around here?

landarc
06-05-2011, 05:49 PM
You're screwed. It's all either fancy food or blah stuff.

JiveTurkey
06-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Forget BBQ, get the seafood. If you're between Monterey and Santa Cruz check out Phil's Fish Market in Moss Landing. Not Q but I always make sure to stop there for a bite if I'm the area. Monterey is hoity toity and touristy, Santa Cruz is pretty ghetto, not much other than mexican food joints in Watsonville. Get the Chioppino at Phil's, he beat Bobby Flay in a throwdown.

Smoothsmoke
06-05-2011, 06:11 PM
I've been to Phils a dozen times. I actually work in the seafood industry, the reason I'm up here. I didn't know he had a throwdown with Bobby Flay, way cool! I'm up to my ears with fish, gotta get some Q.

I'm going to try a place called Aptos St. BBQ. It seems to get good reviews online, and they do smoke their meats. Wish me luck!

Thanks guys!!

JiveTurkey
06-06-2011, 07:30 PM
If you have time cruise on up to Pacifica and check out the orange train car bbq place, not sure of the name but from what I hear is you can't miss it. How was Aptos St BBQ?

BBQ Grail
06-06-2011, 07:39 PM
If you have time cruise on up to Pacifica and check out the orange train car bbq place, not sure of the name but from what I hear is you can't miss it. How was Aptos St BBQ?

It's called Gorilla BBQ and is well worth the trip to Pacifica.

Smoothsmoke
06-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks guys!

Aptos St. BBQ was actually really good. Only disappointment was that they didn't have brisket on the menu. I picked up the triple item plate which is a choice of 3 meats, 2 sides and garlic bread. I chose ribs, tri-tip and pulled pork. Everything was smoked real well. They do their smoking on a Yoder trailer pit . I'll will definitely be going back, maybe tomorrow or Thursday. Great selection of beers too. :thumb:

basuraman
06-14-2011, 10:21 AM
I will be in Aptos for a wedding this year. I will have to swing by and check it out. Oh and as Slug alumus I agree about Phil's..

basuraman
09-19-2011, 01:24 PM
I went by Aptos St. BBQ and got a Pulled Pork Sammie. It was very tasty. When I pulled up they had two bigger smokers (One was a Yodder?) in the parking lot putting out great smelling smoke. I walk in and see them cutting up some Tri-tip for a big pick order. If I am back in the area I will try and take a bunch of folks to test out more of the menu.