PDA

View Full Version : Barbecue in Tampa

Aebs
02-22-2005, 02:29 PM
Saiko and I are going to be in Tampa next week for a little work, a little non-work. Do any of y'all have suggstions for some barbecue there? Another thread here suggested Tony Romas. Any others? We arrive Monday, leave Friday.

Thank you.

Mike

parrothead
02-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Tony Roma's is horrible.

Aebs
02-22-2005, 02:44 PM
The one in Milwaukee isn't the best, either. I was hoping it was a local problem. Thanks for letting us dodge that bullet.

chad
02-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Depends on how far you want to drive.

Smokeybones is pretty good - there's one at Clearwater Mall - take 275 towards the airport and then SR60 over the causeway. The mall is just before US19 in Clearwater.

Fred Fleming's will do in a pinch - there's one on Dale Mabry and one in Palm Harbor, just north of Clearwater on US19 at Nebraska.

Go to The Columbia for some Cuban food or maybe LaTerrisita. Charley's has outstanding steaks - $$$$.

Drive to Auburndale for some real BBQ joint food at Peeble's on Old Dixie Highway - only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I-4 East to the Polk Parkway (exit 27)and get off at exit 18 - turn right on Old Dixie Hwy and go about .7 mile to the shack on your right! :D Take toll money!

Pit Boss BBQ isn't too bad - there's one on US19 north of Clearwater.

Aebs
02-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Thanks for that complete list, David. Our hotel is actually in Clearwater, so Smokeybones looks like Option #1. If time and the rest of our group permit, we'll try some others.

Thanks for your help.

JohnMcD348
03-01-2005, 06:09 AM
If you're going to be in Tampa, there is a Smokey Bones in Brandon that may be a little closer drive for ya. It's on Hwy60 outside the Brandon Town Center. A big mall in the area. If you wanna drive I'd go with DF's idea of Peeples.

Aebs
03-06-2005, 03:48 PM
We ended up going to the Smokey Bones in Clearwater. We would have branched farther afield if our jobs and our group had been more accomodating. Saiko is a SB veteran, but this was my first time. Even though it is not on the menu, you can get a ribs and brisket platter. Ask for a Number 3, and ask to sub in brisket for pork.