PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Smokin' at The Ballpark Old Orchard Beach, ME

Lakeside Smoker
06-03-2011, 03:13 PM
June 24-25. Here's the web site for info:
http://smokinbbqmaine.com/

-Mike

ique
06-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Any word on how many teams they have?

Meat@Slim's
06-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Slim's is in! Can't find any other info anywhere.

Lakeside Smoker
06-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Any word on how many teams they have?

I'm not sure. But a $200 entry fee and $7500 in prize money, I'm sure they were expecting a lot of teams.

Also, the application says: no motor homes. I emailed them and they said that we could bring motor homes.

-Mike

B C BBQ
06-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Must be nice to Have a motor home...

CallMeThree
06-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Meat and Three will be there. :wink:

Just for the sake of curiosity there's a 5th category where the organizer is supplying a lobster (I'm assuming a live one). What kinds of things do teams do with lobsters? Anything to watch out for?

Lakeside Smoker
06-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Just for the sake of curiosity there's a 5th category where the organizer is supplying a lobster (I'm assuming a live one). What kinds of things do teams do with lobsters? Anything to watch out for?

Just don't smoke it! :-D

ique
06-09-2011, 04:02 PM
I just sent in my entry form.... see ya there

ique
06-13-2011, 01:46 PM
bump, teams needed. $200, $7500 prize money. 15 teams needed for the event to happen.

CarolinaQue
06-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Yep...they're still short about 7 teams as of now. So if you're interested, get those apps in. From what I understand, they're going to give it until Friday before they call it.

Just remember, the less teams, the better chance of getting a call, but we need 15 teams just to do the contest!

Lakeside Smoker
06-13-2011, 04:40 PM
I can't believe a comp with a $200 entry fee and has $7500 in prize money is having a hard time getting teams. :confused: Also, the sites are 30' X 40'.

-Mike

Sledneck
06-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Yep...they're still short about 7 teams as of now. So if you're interested, get those apps in. From what I understand, they're going to give it until Friday before they call it.

Just remember, the less teams, the better chance of getting a call, but we need 15 teams just to do the contest!

Is this contest for professionals or amateurs or both? :roll: All kidding aside its a very slim chance but im trying to make this

CarolinaQue
06-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Is this contest for professionals or amateurs or both? :roll: All kidding aside its a very slim chance but im trying to make this

Sled,

It would be great to see you there! And yes, this contest is open to "ALL" teams, there is no designation any where in the aplication or on the website to indicate otherwise!!!

CarolinaQue
06-13-2011, 05:00 PM
I can't believe a comp with a $200 entry fee and has $7500 in prize money is having a hard time getting teams. :confused: Also, the sites are 30' X 40'.

-Mike

I agree!

boogiesnap
06-13-2011, 09:41 PM
tell me more about how the lobster fits in, please.

it's far for me, but am raring to go.

troy is a long time away!

Frank Sacco
06-13-2011, 10:30 PM

IT'S MAINE!!!! Nuff said :becky:

Lakeside Smoker
06-14-2011, 06:19 AM

it's far for me, but am raring to go.

troy is a long time away!

It's a fifth category. It's optional, but they give you the lobster free to cook.

Call the organizer right away if you are coming!

-Mike

Lakeside Smoker
06-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Still looking for teams. $7500

Scottie
06-16-2011, 09:52 PM
man, i wish i could come out...

boogiesnap
06-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Still looking for teams. $7500

i'm still working on it! i'm packed, supplied, and ready to cook.

i've got 1 more trick up my sleeve i'll propose tomorrow...

CarolinaQue
06-17-2011, 12:19 AM
i'm still working on it! i'm packed, supplied, and ready to cook.

i've got 1 more trick up my sleeve i'll propose tomorrow...

What do you need to help convince or commit?

boogiesnap
06-17-2011, 12:28 AM
to be honest. it's financial. :mad2:

when i say supplied, i mean everything needed except meat and entry fee.

which adds up to @ $500, as y'all know.

Lakeside Smoker
06-17-2011, 07:11 AM

It's an investment man! You'll make that money back at the comp.

CarolinaQue
06-17-2011, 07:34 AM

I know what you mean. I'm a family of 4 on a single income!

boogiesnap
06-17-2011, 08:30 PM
last ditch effort. unsuccessful.

i'm sorry guys, i tried.

Frank Sacco
06-18-2011, 06:03 PM
I spoke to DennyMike this morning. He stated the contest will go on. The kicker is if he does not have 15 teams it will not be a state qualifier. Followed by he's very optimistic that he would get the 15 teams.

We'll see you all next weekend!

Lakeside Smoker
06-20-2011, 06:26 PM
We've recruited a few more teams this weekend at NH! I know the team count is approaching 15. A few more couldn't hurt!

-Mike

Sweet Breathe BBQ
06-22-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm trying to swing it....rest of team can't make it so I'd have to go solo. Right now it's just a matter of logistics....trying to fit family and enough gear into one vehicle. Turn ins are on Sat correct?

Lakeside Smoker
06-22-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm trying to swing it....rest of team can't make it so I'd have to go solo. Right now it's just a matter of logistics....trying to fit family and enough gear into one vehicle. Turn ins are on Sat correct?

Yes, Saturday turn ins. I'll be solo setting up and possibly breaking down solo too. Kris has to work Thursday night and Saturday night. Hope to see you there!

-Mike

Smokin Hoggz
06-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Hey Mike, we're all signed up and ready to rock it. Al will be up there around noon if you need a hand setting up, Shaune and I won't be there until after work, probably around 5-6. see you then.

Sweet Breathe BBQ
06-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Alright this is probably going to be a train wreck, but when we heard we would be team # 15 so that the competition could be a state championship we couldn't pass it up. I'll be cooking solo and arriving late....it doesn't get much better than this. Damn addiction!

CarolinaQue
06-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Alright this is probably going to be a train wreck, but when we heard we would be team # 15 so that the competition could be a state championship we couldn't pass it up. I'll be cooking solo and arriving late....it doesn't get much better than this. Damn addiction!

Good to hear!!! I feel your pain about flying solo though! I cooked the Cabela's contest in Scarborough, ME solo last weekend. I was a hurtin' unit after that. But glad you stepped up to help make this a state championship!!! We'll see you there!

Tim
East Meats West BBQ

ique
06-23-2011, 04:05 PM

Cool, me too. I personally prefer to cook solo... fewer distractions!

Lakeside Smoker
06-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Nice!! See you tomorrow!

-Mike

Sweet Breathe BBQ
06-23-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm up for the challenge of cooking solo (luckily wife will be there to help with organization)....the real challenge is the fact that we can't leave Burlington vt until somewhere between 2-5pm tomorrow going to be a real tight window to get the meats prepped and on the smoker.

Meat@Slim's
06-23-2011, 11:23 PM
We are lucky enough to get half the team up early tomorrow. Gonna cook off two dozen or so sausages and have buns to wrap around em.

All are welcome. Who's in?

BasicPatrick
06-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Just saw this thread as I've been off the hook crazy busy getting ready for this weekend. The Basic BBQ Team will break our cherry this weekend in Old Orchard Beach. Actually, it's me and the wife as a few other can not make it on the short notice I gave them.

I made my lists and checked em twice. I went from having a few items to being pretty much geared up in six days. The credit card is burning hot!!! I rented a trailer and it is packed and behind the motorhome. I am almost done with my timeline. WEa re heading off Cape Cod around 12"30 and should be on the field by 3:30. I'm excited, afraid, confident and anxious all at once. I love it. As long as it's not DAL then I'll be good.

Looking forward to seeing all this weekend.

PS....I'm pissed my Banner Didn;t get done in time!!!! Hopefully I'll have it for Harpoon...lol

Meat@Slim's
06-24-2011, 06:02 AM
Just saw this thread as I've been off the hook crazy busy getting ready for this weekend. The Basic BBQ Team will break our cherry this weekend in Old Orchard Beach. Actually, it's me and the wife as a few other can not make it on the short notice I gave them.

I made my lists and checked em twice. I went from having a few items to being pretty much geared up in six days. The credit card is burning hot!!! I rented a trailer and it is packed and behind the motorhome. I am almost done with my timeline. WEa re heading off Cape Cod around 12"30 and should be on the field by 3:30. I'm excited, afraid, confident and anxious all at once. I love it. As long as it's not DAL then I'll be good.

Looking forward to seeing all this weekend.

PS....I'm pissed my Banner Didn;t get done in time!!!! Hopefully I'll have it for Harpoon...lol

Sounds like a formula for a good show at awards to me!

boogiesnap
06-24-2011, 09:12 AM
best of luck everyone!

glad to hear the event wasn't canceled and even got the 15 teams. :thumb:

have a great time!

CallMeThree
06-24-2011, 09:33 AM
I just traded email with "Meat" a little while ago -- I think we'll be rolling in sometime around 2pm today. See y'all there.