PDA

View Full Version : Will you please induldge me?

Bentley
06-03-2011, 12:41 AM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/2010RoyalandBeyond/IMG_1259.jpg

I would appreciate your score of this box. Make any comments you want, I am not looking for them or how to improve the box (I am sure some will be scratching their heads on that comment). There are 6 slices in the box.

I will explaine after a few folks have scored and explain why I am asking for scores and will then give scores...And this is my box.

I wanna see if I am wrong or the judges were...

Q-Dat
06-03-2011, 12:52 AM
Well unless my eyes deceive me I see five slices and six burnt ends.

I'm guessing one judge wasn't happy about not getting a slice.

It shouldn't matter I think. He or She should judge that burnt end for what it was worth. If someone cuts up a whole chicken and puts it in a box there are going to be pieces that every judge can't have.

But unfortunately from what I know about human nature it doesn't usually go that way.

big brother smoke
06-03-2011, 12:53 AM
I will bite, I am giving it a 7. Meat does not pop in appearance. Parsely distracts from burnt ends. Slices appear a tad dry and maybe appetizing.

Q-Dat
06-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Ok I just looked again I think I might have spotted the sixth slice.

Either way it all looks good to me.

Bentley
06-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Never even looked at that, thanks, believe it or not were 6 slices in the box, what would you score it?

Q-Dat
06-03-2011, 12:58 AM
I'll say 8

AZScott
06-03-2011, 01:04 AM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/2010RoyalandBeyond/IMG_1259.jpg

I would appreciate your score of this box. Make any comments you want, I am not looking for them or how to improve the box (I am sure some will be scratching their heads on that comment).

I will explaine after a few folks have scored and explain why I am asking for scores and will then give scores...And this is my box.

I wanna see if I am wrong or the judges were...

If I were a judge on said particular day, which I'm not, I'd go 7-8. Nothing is "off" with it but there are some minor details that I notice. The edges look rough. The slices look too wide in the box. There is sauce on the box. The real kicker is that there is only 5 slices BUT there are more than 6 pieces in the box. That's what I see.

In a competition you could get 9 9 7 5 6 8 from judges. Judges es muy loco. I've heard and read all sorts of crazy things from judges about scoring down for injections, down for Blues Hog, down if they think a box is from a certain team(s), down if they think it came off a pellet cooker, etc. As a competitor all you can do is hope that your food lands on a good table.

goodbuddiesbbq
06-03-2011, 01:17 AM
1. The slices aren't lined up very well.
2. I see the same unappetizing color on the slices (no ring at all)
3. The burnt ends are all different shapes and spread all over the box and put in the front, but you see green between them all. If you put it in front, make it pop out and those left a lot to be desired.
4. I'm gonna do it...the greenery is up and down all around the box.
5. Nothing shining or shimmering when I look at the overall picture.

Ok...I'm convinced it is a 6 or maybe a 7:tsk:

BBQchef33
06-03-2011, 01:27 AM
im with goodbuddies,,, and im a meanie...

7 would be generous.

meat looks dry, color is unappealing.. almost pot-roasty.
too big, untrimmed, not lined up, too long for box. (competitors should show good knife skills.)
Burnt ends are uneven and haphazard. look dry too.

sorry, thats my story and im stickin to it. :)

Brewer
06-03-2011, 01:55 AM
As a competitor all you can do is hope that your food lands on a good table.

Ain't that the truth...

Dale P
06-03-2011, 03:21 AM
5 maybe 6 is what im seeing. I am not mean either, just reporting what I see.

NRA4Life
06-03-2011, 06:16 AM
Probably a 7

Lake Dogs
06-03-2011, 07:16 AM
7, but barely

bignburlyman
06-03-2011, 07:44 AM
im with goodbuddies,,, and im a meanie...

7 would be generous.

meat looks dry, color is unappealing.. almost pot-roasty.
too big, untrimmed, not lined up, too long for box. (competitors should show good knife skills.)
Burnt ends are uneven and haphazard. look dry too.

sorry, thats my story and im stickin to it. :)

These would be almost my same exact comments. In the short time to score at the judging table I expect I would give a 7.

Sawdustguy
06-03-2011, 07:46 AM
I would rate it a 7.......I tried to look at it for the same amount of time I would get as if I were sitting at judges table.

Slamdunkpro
06-03-2011, 07:46 AM
5 maybe a 6 in person.

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
06-03-2011, 07:47 AM
I'd go with 6 based on the picture...but it may be a 7 if it were in front of me at the judging table.

Lake Dogs
06-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Bentley, what's up?

bmanMA
06-03-2011, 08:06 AM
6. For all the reasons stated above. +it looks like knife marks on the smaller end?

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-03-2011, 08:09 AM
I would probably go a 6 on the high side ( average box). triming the slices to fit a little more evenly may bump it up to a 7.

timzcardz
06-03-2011, 08:25 AM
I would go 6, no lower, but if it looked better in person maybe a 7.

It looks OK, but no real *POP* to it that makes me have to have it.

BBQ Bandit
06-03-2011, 08:31 AM
7 - nothing above average

ThomEmery
06-03-2011, 08:36 AM
But if it was cooked on a pellet mochine I would score it much higher

I am just teasin their folks

KC_Bobby
06-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Looks avg at best - 6-7 in the pic, for multiple reasons already listed.

Might score higher in person

mobow
06-03-2011, 08:55 AM
5 or 6 for reasons already stated. keith

Rub
06-03-2011, 08:55 AM
What everyone else said, and I'm hoping you don't come back and say it was all 9's.:pray:

NRA4Life
06-03-2011, 09:14 AM
So what's up Bentley? Looks like a bunch of 6's and 7's from this group...is this the result you were looking for?

ique
06-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Looks like pot roast, not bbq. 6 maybe 7.

Bentley
06-03-2011, 11:20 AM
What everyone else said, and I'm hoping you don't come back and say it was all 9's.:pray:

We have a winner!

2010 American Royal Open 11th Place Brisket

Judge #1 9-9-8

Judge #2 9-9-8

Judge #3 9-9-9

Judge #4 9-8-8

Judge #5 9-9-8

Judge #6 9-7-8

I was not aware that you could be a CBJ and be blind!

I think those that gave it 7-8's were very kind...Hell, I think those that gave it 6's were kind!

I was just curious if I was wrong or the judges were, it appears the judges that day were wrong, some type of mass delusion I guess.

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
06-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Wow!!!
I've heard of "make it taste like steak" but i never heard of "make it look like slow cooker pot roast". They must have sprinkled Crack on that thing.:crazy:

Scottie
06-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Very generous judging... we all wish to have judges that are that kind.

I'd sharpen your knife or quit using thay chainsaw to slice your brisket... :becky::heh:

Podge
06-03-2011, 11:44 AM
6, maybe a 7 in person in the proper lighting. To be honest, after seeing your scores, all 9's, I could only assume your alternate number had been messed up possibly.

mobow
06-03-2011, 11:55 AM
For the American Royal open they can not get enough CBJ's. You have a significant number of first time judges that have never had a class. Listen to the tape and go.

goodbuddiesbbq
06-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Maybe they thought you give it a presentation score reflective of how many pieces are in the box :confused:...I think you had about 9 pieces in there.

G$
06-03-2011, 12:59 PM
I find those scores to be so unbelieveable that I question their accuracy. Are we SURE those scores match that turn in box?

RangerJ
06-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Almost makes me want to find a new hobby.... I don't mean to offend, but at a 'que joint, I'd send that back.

Greendriver
06-03-2011, 02:11 PM
wow! I would have said 7 at best.

bignburlyman
06-03-2011, 04:19 PM
The picture must not have done it justice:tsk:. It evidently tasted pretty good and had good texture except to Judge #6.

Bentley
06-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah, when I win it seems like I am always told its luck or just a lucky table, when others win it is skill...I guess I will just have to keep relying on luck.

deepsouth
06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah, when I win it seems like I am always told its luck or just a lucky table, when others win it is skill...I guess I will just have to keep relying on luck.

often times, it's better to be lucky than good.

i'm in the "must have been better than the pictures" crowd.

cheers.

RangerJ
06-03-2011, 05:18 PM

Your a CBJ, you would have scored this box a what?

Not a realistic question, its your box. However, again, if that box is a 9 across the board, then I have no idea what I'm doing after two years.

Could it be it looked better in person? I suppose.

you even don't think it was 9, now that I re read the thread. What I would say is if your winning then who cares what the others are doing or how they get there?

Never cooked at the Royal is 11th place ( cue Charlie Sheen) "WINNING'? Like is that in the money?

Bentley
06-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Your a CBJ, you would have scored this box a what?

Not a realistic question, its your box. However, again, if that box is a 9 across the board, then I have no idea what I'm doing after two years.

Could it be it looked better in person? I suppose.

Do I think that turn in was a 9 for apperance, not looking at the picture and I don't remember it in person, not even close. 1st brisket in 9 years I have ever cooked that did not have a smoke ring...Did I Nut the Taste & Texture, yes I did, arguable the best brisket I have cook in 9 years of competing!

I guess my point is, are all 6 judges wrong and I am just lucky on apperance?

YankeeBBQ
06-03-2011, 05:26 PM
I think your messing with us. Looking at the left of the box it looks like a 9x9 with 3 compartments. You can see the foam separation.

Rub
06-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Maybe the reps/volunteers dropped the box, messed up the appearance, and instructed the judges to give it a 9 in appearance...

RangerJ
06-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Do I think that turn in was a 9 for apperance, not looking at the picture and I don't remember it in person, not even close. 1st brisket in 9 years I have ever cooked that did not have a smoke ring.

I'm a newbie at this, so perhaps 9 years and things run together but I was under the impression this American Royal thing is a big deal? Like 100's of competitors?

This brisket was 11th last year and you don't remember it?

Ryan Chester
06-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Call it what you want, chitty judges, luck, whatever. The taste and tenderness scores could be all 9's because it may have tasted like heaven but all 9's on appearance? Thats just crazy.

Thanks for posting Bently.

Podge
06-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I think your messing with us. Looking at the left of the box it looks like a 9x9 with 3 compartments. You can see the foam separation.

After I read this post, I went back and looked.. I 110% agree !.. and even looking closer, this brisket looks underdone and not tender... yeah, yeah, yeah... :hand: say what you will, but look closely how tight that meat looks !!.. I see signs that this brisket is not tender to deserve 8's or 9's. Also, no offense, but being a CBJ with at least a few contests under your belt, you know that this is not a pretty box !.. not to mention that the slice sides on the right would have had the crap mashed out of them once you closed the box..

Red Valley BBQ
06-03-2011, 07:26 PM
6. 7 tops, depending on what it looks like in person.

Bentley
06-03-2011, 07:29 PM

It was the Brisket turn-in for 2010 Royal Open for Team Pelletheads.com that I cooked, choose not to believe it if you like.

Lake Dogs
06-03-2011, 07:48 PM
I believe 'ya. Good tables happens, just as bad tables happen. Good for one is bad for another... It just does. No way that was a 9 in appearance, not even an 8. I'd figured bad photograph so I leaned it up to a 7 vs. the 6 that I thought it was...

I've had days where I put out absolutely great product and scored no better than middle of the pack, and I've had days where I thought most everything I put out was so-so at best and darned if I didnt place in all 4 with an RGC. Who knows?!? Mind you, I've also had good days where I though it was good, and bad days where I knew it....

Bentley
06-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Sorry I forgot my manner...Mesmerized at how bad that box really is...Thank you all for confriming what I though was correct.

I apperciate it!

DickQ
06-03-2011, 09:32 PM
My honest opinion:

-slices are to big for the box.(try trimming the brisket before smoking it, so it fits in the box)
-the cut on the slices looks uneven.( use a good sharp brisket slicing knife)
- remove the fat from the bottom of the brisket.
- a better smoke ring would bring better appearance scores in my opinion.
- i would like to see burnt ends more cut even and in a row.

This is just my opinion. Good Luck!!

Sledneck
06-03-2011, 09:44 PM

It was the Brisket turn-in for 2010 Royal Open for Team Pelletheads.com that I cooked, choose not to believe it if you like.

According to snopes its false.

JD McGee
06-03-2011, 10:27 PM
The box does look a bit suspicious...hmmm...:confused:

BBQchef33
06-03-2011, 10:52 PM

Good eye... I didn t even notice that divider in by the first piece, but thought the pieces were sitting high.. that makes lots of sense. :clap2:

Bentley
06-03-2011, 10:53 PM
- a better smoke ring would bring better appearance scores in my opinion.

This is just my opinion. Good Luck!!

Sometimes I am slow...Can you tell me how I do better then six 9's for apperance? :doh:

You guys really think I am trying to pull something here?

I guess it is time for me to bow out of this site...If folks really feel that way.

JD McGee
06-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Sometimes I am slow...Can you tell me how I do better then six 9's for apperance? :doh:

You guys really think I am trying to pull something here?

I guess it is time for me to bow out of this site...If folks really feel that way.

Whoa brother...the shading on the box looks a little funky...if you say it's Kosher we'll believe you...seriously! :thumb:

BBQchef33
06-04-2011, 02:08 AM
to get all 9's, i think you bribed the judges. Is that parsley garnish, or $100 bills??.. the picture can be misleading.

:):becky:

Dale P
06-04-2011, 06:32 AM
After as close of inspection that I can give I just am going to throw the truth out. The slices look bad to me. Undercooked to say the least. I have cooked bad briskets MANY times and probably turned in worse but my scores were always low. I am not lucky.

P.S.- The box looks funny to me too. :)

Podge
06-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Whoa brother...the shading on the box looks a little funky...if you say it's Kosher we'll believe you...seriously! :thumb:

Ok, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I still think the box's alternate number got mixed up.

G$
06-04-2011, 03:38 PM
I find those scores to be so unbelieveable that I question their accuracy. Are we SURE those scores match that turn in box?

Eh, just a gratuitous self bump.