PDA

View Full Version : Sams Club Regional @Medford

pigmaker23
05-27-2011, 12:05 AM
KCBS has just broken the news that the Sams Club Regional for Region 5 has been moved from Medford NY to Laurel MD. There is going to be some very unhappy Long Island Judges! They give the reason as the store will be in a major remodel.

MilitantSquatter
05-27-2011, 12:11 AM
What's 273 miles if you really wanna judge ? That shows commitment.

:wink:

BBQchef33
05-27-2011, 12:23 AM
makes my life easier.. No more choosing.... Now I can definitely go to the Royal!

pigmaker23
05-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Seems like a slap in the face to NY/NE, once again like there are not 25 Sams Clubs Closer...

BBQchef33
05-27-2011, 12:52 AM
and......

youre surprised?

roksmith
05-27-2011, 08:23 AM
For us, it's great news!! Should we qualify, it cuts our drive in half.

YankeeBBQ
05-27-2011, 08:36 AM
For us, it's great news!! Should we qualify, it cuts our drive in half.

If we make it, it more than doubles our mileage, doubles our drive time and increases our gas cost by $150 bucks. KCBS is out of their F'n mind. I'm getting sick of this crap. Anyone who defends KCBS and says it's all Sams can kiss my .....:mad2:

It's time for Regional Representation

Anchors Smokeshop
05-27-2011, 08:46 AM
This is bull****! There might be a spot opening up in Pittsburgh.

Jorge
05-27-2011, 08:50 AM
If we make it, it more than doubles our mileage, doubles our drive time and increases our gas cost by $150 bucks. KCBS is out of their F'n mind. I'm getting sick of this crap. Anyone who defends KCBS and says it's all Sams can kiss my .....:mad2:

YankeeBBQ for President!

lcbateman3
05-27-2011, 09:10 AM
If I get lucky enough to qualify it cuts my drive off 200 miles....

pigmaker23
05-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Pretty Confident that you will be making that drive ?, LOL Have a great weekend ! You think that somebody might just check and see if the stores selected were going to remodeled at the time of the event.

Sawdustguy
05-27-2011, 10:04 AM
I agree with Poobah. Why am I not surprised.:tape:

Sledneck
05-27-2011, 10:06 AM
This f ing sucks!!! So if i make it all 3 rounds it will be 4,000 miles of driving in a one month span

Sawdustguy
05-27-2011, 10:15 AM
This f ing sucks!!! So if i make it all 3 rounds it will be 4,000 miles of driving in a one month span

It really sucks! If you made all three rounds, figure @ $4.00/Gal it will cost you about $1000.00 just to get there and and back home.

Sledneck
05-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Can we ban together and protest this?

Their are many more sams club locations up here

NelsonC
05-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm personally pretty happy about it. To me, if they are going to have a regional qualifer, it makes more sense that the contest is located centrally within the region instead of way up on one corner of it...

Sledneck
05-27-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm personally pretty happy about it. To me, if they are going to have a regional qualifer, it makes more sense that the contest is located centrally within the region instead of way up on one corner of it...

Easy for you to say cause its your region. So that means the northeast is not entitled to a region?

NelsonC
05-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Easy for you to say cause its your region. So that means the northeast is not entitled to a region?

It makes sense when you think about it that way - im not sure why but I was thinking this region was supposed to cover the same area as MABA. I know its not related but its weird how the mind works sometimes.

YankeeBBQ
05-27-2011, 11:17 AM

It might have made sense when they originally scheduled the events but to move it 250 miles now is total BS. I wouldn't have signed up for a local if that was the case. I'm seriously considering asking for a refund.

YankeeBBQ
05-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Can we ban together and protest this?

Their are many more sams club locations up here

I sent the following to the KCBS I suggest anyone else whose not happy with the situation send something similar.

I'm very upset with the venue change of the region 5 regional contest. If I'm lucky enough to qualify for this contest it will cost me 500 miles, 8 extra hours of driving time and approximately $200 in extra fuel cost . I will also need to book 2 hotel rooms because driving 8 hours then competing in a bbq contest all in the same day is not something I would do. I think you seriously need to reconsider the new location of the event and find a club closer to the original venue. If not I may be forced to withdraw from the local contest I signed up for.

Steve Farrin
I Smell Smoke !!!

redneck cooker
05-27-2011, 12:35 PM

Ill save yall all this money and time, just drop out and let me have a spot at bentonville:becky:, i dont mind the diesel or the mileage....:cool:

Scottie
05-27-2011, 02:30 PM
So they move the locale 275 miles bog deal when you consider 1- they hold 2 local contests in Texas that dont really have KCBS cooks and no CBJ's, 2 - hire insiders to be 'organizers' 3 - have a contest in a state that cant sell out the contest, 4 - hold it in a state that no one really wants to go to the region because state Team of Year points are worth too much.

So i mean.. what's the big deal? :doh:

Total BS.

Westexbbq
05-27-2011, 03:51 PM
RATS!
I was really looking forward to Medford and was supposed to judge.
Wonder when we will get an email notification?

DCFIREMANN
05-27-2011, 05:06 PM
I would guess that Sam's Club might of had something this. The store in Laurel is the top store in sales on the East Coast. So for them it would be a no brainer. It does have a large parking lot. So if the team I am cooking with in Pittsburg makes it then it will only be a 1 hour drive to Laurel. I am going to love this short drive pulling a 14k trailer!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

pigmaker23
05-28-2011, 02:13 AM
Dont hold your breath Wes....:-P

RATS!
I was really looking forward to Medford and was supposed to judge.
Wonder when we will get an email notification?

timzcardz
05-28-2011, 09:54 AM
and......

youre surprised?

Who could be surprised?

It was just another one of those Long Island Shake 'n Bakes.

Yakfishingfool
05-28-2011, 04:04 PM
makes my life easier.. No more choosing.... Now I can definitely go to the Royal!

Yup, gotta start looking at airline tickets.

Sledneck
06-01-2011, 11:03 AM
I sent the following to the KCBS I suggest anyone else whose not happy with the situation send something similar.

I'm very upset with the venue change of the region 5 regional contest. If I'm lucky enough to qualify for this contest it will cost me 500 miles, 8 extra hours of driving time and approximately $200 in extra fuel cost . I will also need to book 2 hotel rooms because driving 8 hours then competing in a bbq contest all in the same day is not something I would do. I think you seriously need to reconsider the new location of the event and find a club closer to the original venue. If not I may be forced to withdraw from the local contest I signed up for.

Steve Farrin
I Smell Smoke !!!
Did you receive at least an acknowledgement? I haven't since i sent mine. Guess some lucky guy on the waiting list will be happy cause im 99 percent gonna drop put now

YankeeBBQ
06-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Did you receive at least an acknowledgement? I haven't since i sent mine. Guess some lucky guy on the waiting list will be happy cause im 99 percent gonna drop put now

May 27, 2011 07:58:56 PM, dendrijaitis@kcbs.us wrote:
Steve,

I've forwarded your email to Troy Black, the Director of the Sam's Tour. He can better address your concern.

Thank you for contacting KCBS.

May 30, 2011 12:01:01 PM, learn2q@mac.com wrote:
Steve,I was forwarded your email regarding the venue change for the region 5. The decision to make the change was done in haste, nor was choosing the replacement site. There were a lot of factors that came in to play. Not all club locations are suitable for this event for various reasons. Choosing the locations for these events was more than geographical.

We certainly understand if you need to withdraw from the local qualifying event. Please review our refund policy which allows you to withdraw with a full refund up to 30 days prior to the event.

If I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me.

Troy Black
Series Director
Sam's Club National BBQ Tour

http://netmail.verizon.com/netmail/driver?nimlet=download&fn=INBOX&mid=11926&partIndex=1.1&disp=inline

May 31, 2011 07:05:21 AM, dendrijaitis@kcbs.us wrote:
Steve,

Please confirm that you want to be removed from the Pittsburgh, PA Sam's Club event.

Thank You,

YankeeBBQ
06-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I replied to Dawn that I would decide in August if I were coming or not. Maybe the price of gas will drop. Notice that Troy said the decision was done in haste.

MattCom
06-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Does everything about Walmart have to suck so badly?
Not a suitable venue?

Sledneck
06-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I replied to Dawn that I would decide in August if I were coming or not. Maybe the price of gas will drop. Notice that Troy said the decision was done in haste.

I guess they only reply to professional bbq people :heh:

ique
06-01-2011, 11:24 AM
That totally sucks

Westexbbq
06-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Steve,
I believe there was a typo and that he meant to use the word "not" per done in haste.
I can't imagine anyone at KCBS admitting that.
The way the paragraph reads is awkward without the word "not" and the following sentence "nor was choosing the replacement site."

Just my feeling but the whole thing still disappoints big time.

YankeeBBQ
06-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Steve,
I believe there was a typo and that he meant to use the word "not" per done in haste.
The way the paragraph reads is awkward without the word "not" and the following sentence nor

I know but I believe it was a Freudian Slip.

YankeeBBQ
06-01-2011, 11:33 AM
That totally sucks

I wonder if I can get a refund on my KCBS dues too. I only rejoined so I could cook the Sams Club events.

Sledneck
06-01-2011, 11:49 AM
I wonder if I can get a refund on my KCBS dues too. I only rejoined so I could cook the Sams Club events.

Same here

Dan - 3eyzbbq
06-01-2011, 11:55 AM
I can see the other side and that does suck. You guys planned for that location.

For me, its 13 miles from where I work, so IF we get there, I'm pretty happy.

Big Ugly's BBQ
06-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I can understand your frustration, but I really wasnt looking forward to back-to-back 600 mile roundtrips. For me the change is welcomed and hope to make the region final.

Muzzlebrake
06-01-2011, 04:19 PM
It does really kind of suck, them moving this thing. What i think sucks more is they haven't even bothered to send an e-mail to the registered teams to let them know. They sent me an e-mail about W-9's and signage requirements.

I don't blame any of you guys for being excited it got moved closer. I would have been pumped if they moved it to Sam's in Fishkill NY! Hey hopefully I am fortunate enough to make it, the drive was going to suck anyway, at least this way I might have a chance at actually moving when Im on the road instead of sitting in that big parking lot that is LI. lol

RangerJ
06-01-2011, 05:55 PM
They sent me an e-mail about W-9's and signage requirements.

A bit off topic but following Muzzlebrake here.

Funny thing about those W9's. After a few beers awaiting for the awards, I could not remember my BBQ Tax ID. So, I filled out the W9 with my SSN.

They handed my check to me made out to my team name and said "will your bank recognize this?" Well, because I've deposited some small checks previously, my bank will. I just wonder what would have happened if I said "no".

BBQchef33
06-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Let's see.

Announced 6 months out, organizer is no where to be found, moved the event witout notifying teams. No one in charge ever logged in to stroke egos. So wheres the shake n bakers? Huh huh huh?

Sent from my Droidx using tapatalk and thats probably why the typing is worse than usual.

Muzzlebrake
06-01-2011, 08:57 PM
So wheres the shake n bakers? Huh huh huh?

think most of them were in CT.......:twisted::cool:

or were they the movers and shakers?

Pickin' Porkers
06-01-2011, 09:10 PM
If we're lucky enough to make the regionals....I think the move is wonderful! I'd rather drive there than do the Royal.

White Dog BBQ
06-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Quite honestly, I think moving it to Laurel makes sense -- the Long Island location seemed like it was throwing a bone to the New England teams. Laurel is more centrally located between the 3 local contests.

The fact of the matter is that the New England teams got screwed in the whole thing.

Sledneck
06-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Quite honestly, I think moving it to Laurel makes sense -- the Long Island location seemed like it was throwing a bone to the New England teams. Laurel is more centrally located between the 3 local contests.

The fact of the matter is that the New England teams got screwed in the whole thing.

It was a real good cock tease for sure

Yakfishingfool
06-01-2011, 09:43 PM
This isn't about BBQ in the northeast, it's about KCBS. plain and simple. Screw you NE.

Sledneck
06-01-2011, 10:31 PM
This isn't about BBQ in the northeast, it's about KCBS. plain and simple. Screw you NE.

Not sure what to believe as who to point the finger at yet . I traded a few emails with troy black this evening. He is saying it was a corporate decision by Sams. As far as KCBS , to me it all falls back to having no representation around here. Nobody in our corner with a voice.

pigmaker23
06-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Who Exactly Decided that Troy Black should be in charge of this series? secondly, who decided how and whom would be chosen to be reps for these events? do they get paid by KCBS? If so why is KCBS looking for "volunteers" to help out with this series? if we can afford to pay for reps, why not compensate everyone? There are bigger questions here I think.

May 27, 2011 07:58:56 PM, dendrijaitis@kcbs.us wrote:
Steve,

I've forwarded your email to Troy Black, the Director of the Sam's Tour. He can better address your concern.

Thank you for contacting KCBS.

May 30, 2011 12:01:01 PM, learn2q@mac.com wrote:
Steve,I was forwarded your email regarding the venue change for the region 5. The decision to make the change was done in haste, nor was choosing the replacement site. There were a lot of factors that came in to play. Not all club locations are suitable for this event for various reasons. Choosing the locations for these events was more than geographical.

We certainly understand if you need to withdraw from the local qualifying event. Please review our refund policy which allows you to withdraw with a full refund up to 30 days prior to the event.

If I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me.

Troy Black
Series Director
Sam's Club National BBQ Tour

http://netmail.verizon.com/netmail/driver?nimlet=download&fn=INBOX&mid=11926&partIndex=1.1&disp=inline

May 31, 2011 07:05:21 AM, dendrijaitis@kcbs.us wrote:
Steve,

Please confirm that you want to be removed from the Pittsburgh, PA Sam's Club event.

Thank You,

Sledneck
06-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Who Exactly Decided that Troy Black should be in charge of this series? secondly, who decided how and whom would be chosen to be reps for these events? do they get paid by KCBS? If so why is KCBS looking for "volunteers" to help out with this series? if we can afford to pay for reps, why not compensate everyone? There are bigger questions here I think.

I am gonna blame SIDE for all of that, hes definitely behind it

YankeeBBQ
06-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Not sure what to believe as who to point the finger at yet . I traded a few emails with troy black this evening. He is saying it was a corporate decision by Sams. As far as KCBS , to me it all falls back to having no representation around here. Nobody in our corner with a voice.

I hope one of our LI friends will visit the Medford location that weekend and see if there really is a renovation. I smell a rat !!!

Muzzlebrake
06-01-2011, 11:35 PM

I think that Troy is the rep for Sam's not KCBS.

As for the reps, I don't know the answerto that one. There aren't "reps" assigned to the contests, there are "directors". The majority of but not all of the contest directors are members of the KCBS BOD.

Sledneck
06-02-2011, 08:23 AM
I hope one of our LI friends will visit the Medford location that weekend and see if there really is a renovation. I smell a rat !!!

My brother in law is about a mile from there, no problem

ique
06-02-2011, 09:14 AM
The decision to make the change was (not) done in haste, nor was choosing the replacement site.

But we completely forgot to inform any of the teams involved that we made this switch. :doh:

BBQchef33
06-02-2011, 10:19 AM

I heard thru a grapvine that each organizer is given a $3000 'stipend' to run each event. :doh: So the ones that have 4 events are getting $12k in 'stipends'. Again.. its grapevine chatter... unverified.

Muzzlebrake
06-03-2011, 10:54 AM
just got this e-mail this morning.....maybe they heard something we said.....

Sam's ClubŪ Region 5 Regional Event Moved

The Regional Event for Region 5 has been moved from Medford, N.Y. to Laurel, Md. The event will still take place on Sept. 30-Oct. 1.

The Sam's Club in Medford is undergoing a major renovation, which is why the Regional Event was moved.

The new location, Sam's Club #6434 is located at 3535 Russett Green East, Laurel, MD 20724.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause teams participating in this region. The Local Events will remain the same, as will the qualifying rules. Your event director will send more information.

goodbuddiesbbq
06-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I wasn't happy when that was originally scheduled, but if you gotta move locations....you might as well change the date a week.

No American Royal...and I already had a new brisket presentation that was going to get 11th place (thanks Bentley:-D), I guess I'll have to use that down in Maryland now.

I don't like sounding bitter, but a pint of bitter, please!

SmokeInDaEye
06-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I am gonna blame SIDE for all of that, hes definitely behind it

If I wasn't able to compete in Medford then I sure as hell wasn't going to let you all compete.