PDA

View Full Version : Thanks!

lodemia
05-26-2011, 08:37 AM
I've been lurking on this forum for about a month and I finally decided to register last night. I have been grilling on Gas and charcoal for over 20 years, and was trained as a chef's apprentice at a steakhouse in college.

But...

I never quite got the hang of smoking. Maybe I am impatient, maybe I've had the wrong equipment, maybe (probably) user error, maybe a combination...

I live in outside of a small town of 3500, and the local grocery store started carrying Big Green Eggs. I'm in the middle of building our patio and grilling center and I decided to splurge and got a Large BGE after seeing a demonstration at the grocery store.

Since then, I have produced some really good Q. I've learned a big difference between briquettes and lump. I've learned to control my temperatures. I've learned to experiment with different rubs and spices, and I've learned that I am just addicted to smoking now. We even had pizzas this weekend done on the BGE. Is there anything that doesn't taste just a little better with a little smoke flavor?

I've fired it up almost every day, and each time, I'm getting amazing results, due to the dead-simple setup of the BGE and the wisdom and advice of this forum.

On the weekend menu is a pork butt and three racks of baby backs. I am officially a convert, and wake up in the morning wondering what I am going to smoke next.

Finally, I've learned what a fatty is and I throw one on every time I fire the BGE. What a tremendous idea.

Thanks for letting me join your community.

frognot
05-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Welcome aboard lodemia! Glad to meet another "convert'!

1FUNVET
05-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Welcome from cajun country. :clap2::clap2:

Westexbbq
05-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the camp,
lodemia.
Enjoy.

QansasjayhawQ
05-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I thought I was the only one who wakes up in the morning thinking about bbq. ;)

Welcome!

JMSetzler
05-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Greetings and welcome from Hickory, North Carolina :)

Those Eggs are quite nice. I hope to own one some day :)

Big George's BBQ
05-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Welcome

keale
05-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Welcome! Love any good grilled steak! Give us some pointers, and rub recipes!!
But I think you're cheating if you're grilling with a BGE!!!:-P (jealous mod.)

Rookie'48
05-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Welcome to our crazy little club house!

Ya mean there are some folks who don't wake up thinking about que???

gtr
05-28-2011, 01:18 AM
Welcome from SoCal! We're all addicted here - you already fit right in!

LMAJ
05-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Welcome to the party!
I know exactly what you mean about the Egg - we did the same thing when we first got ours. We cooked everything on it. We still cook on the Egg a few times a week. It is one of the best investments we have ever made.