PDA

View Full Version : Well Doesn't This Just Suck!!!

Q-Dat
05-24-2011, 06:49 PM
I got on the waiting list for the Sam's Club event in Baton Rouge, and didn't think enough teams would ever drop out for me to get in. Well this afternoon I get an email telling me that there is a spot available. I hurry up and make arrangements to be able to handle the financial end of things only to find out that my boss isn't going to give me the weekend off. Even though the schedule isn't made!

I have until noon tomorrow to work something out but it doesn't look good. This bites!!!

HarleyEarl
05-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Blue Flu? But I guess he already knows what your plans are so that might not work.

Q-Dat
05-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Yeah, plus if he schedules me and I don't show up that screws over the other guys I work with.

This is like losing a puppy, accepting that it is gone, then two months later the puppy comes home and the same day gets run over by a truck!!!

Ok so maybe not exactly like that, but you get the idea.

Brauma
05-24-2011, 07:02 PM
<cough cough> Time for a convenient case of pneumonia. Do you need a note from Eptein's mother?

Jacked UP BBQ
05-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Yeah, plus if he schedules me and I don't show up that screws over the other guys I work with.

This is like losing a puppy, accepting that it is gone, then two months later the puppy comes home and the same day gets run over by a truck!!!

Ok so maybe not exactly like that, but you get the idea.

As a business owner, I thank you for those words and wish there were more dedicated people out there like you.

Muzzlebrake
05-24-2011, 07:46 PM

So then seeing as the schedule isn't even made out yet, your boss might want to think about that.........at my job we have personal days for when they say no

do you usually have to work weekends? I just transferred out of a position that I was scheduled to work 3 out 4 Saturdays. It sucked I hated it.

I feel your pain bro!

whskyrnnr322
05-24-2011, 07:58 PM
I smell what your cookin' brother! I requested two seperate fridays off for upcoming comps and was denied. I'll have to figure something out.

Sawdustguy
05-24-2011, 08:00 PM
I feel for you. Please do not do anything to put your job in jepordy. In the grand scheme of thing it's just a BBQ Contest and your job is how you support yourself and you family. There are a lot of people out there who are unemployed.

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
05-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Q-dat, I'd be begging some coworkers to cover for me...

Q-Dat
05-24-2011, 09:10 PM
So then seeing as the schedule isn't even made out yet, your boss might want to think about that.........at my job we have personal days for when they say no

do you usually have to work weekends? I just transferred out of a position that I was scheduled to work 3 out 4 Saturdays. It sucked I hated it.

I feel your pain bro!

Unfortunately I work in the Seafood department of a Supermarket and Friday and Saturday are the two busiest days of the week. I really cant complain about my boss. He gives me Sundays off to go to Church and already gave me time off for two comps a couple of months ago.

If the opening had happened a week ago he probably could have worked it out for me.

Just bad timing ;(

Q-Dat
05-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Q-dat, I'd be begging some coworkers to cover for me...

Been racking my brain for the last few hours trying to think of someone who could bail me out, but there is just nobody in the store who could.

I'm just gonna call KCBS in the morning and let them know I'm out.

boogiesnap
05-24-2011, 10:35 PM
there's gotta be a way to make everyone happy.

i understand you're dedication to your job and coworkers cuz

i missed the 1st patriots superbowl parade cuz i had to work.
i missed the 2nd patriots superbowl parade cuz i had to work.
i missed the red sox world championship parade cuz i had to work AND
i missed the patriots 3rd superbowl parade cuz i had to work.

unfortunately, i was the only one at my company who could do my job and they relied on me. i couldn't let them and our clients down. maybe you are in the same boat?

but, i still wish, i took 1 of those days off.

1 man, 1 day, in the corporate world won't make a darn of difference.

but 1 man 1 day enjoying his passion could change his life...

don't risk your family support structure, but good luck brother, SOMEBODY will cover the hours i hope!

if i could get there i'd do it in a heartbeat!

Q-Dat
05-24-2011, 11:03 PM
there's gotta be a way to make everyone happy.

i understand you're dedication to your job and coworkers cuz

i missed the 1st patriots superbowl parade cuz i had to work.
i missed the 2nd patriots superbowl parade cuz i had to work.
i missed the red sox world championship parade cuz i had to work AND
i missed the patriots 3rd superbowl parade cuz i had to work.

unfortunately, i was the only one at my company who could do my job and they relied on me. i couldn't let them and our clients down. maybe you are in the same boat?

but, i still wish, i took 1 of those days off.

1 man, 1 day, in the corporate world won't make a darn of difference.

but 1 man 1 day enjoying his passion could change his life...

don't risk your family support structure, but good luck brother, SOMEBODY will cover the hours i hope!

if i could get there i'd do it in a heartbeat!

Well I also found out that my Comp Podnuh wouldn't be able to make it anyway. I would be trying to drive two hours and haul everything in a Ford Ranger. I would also be restricted to using two cookers instead of four like we practice.

I think this one just wasn't meant to be. One thing I have learned is when doors keep closing on you at every turn its best not to try and force them open. It just might be the Good Lord keeping you out of trouble.

boogiesnap
05-24-2011, 11:12 PM
i'm on board with that.
but, it might be someone asking just how much do want it???
best of luck either way.

Bentley
05-25-2011, 01:18 AM
Any way giving him all your leftover BBQ after competition might get you any play...

redneck cooker
05-25-2011, 08:52 AM
:confused:You got no vacaton days to use???:wink:

Q-Dat
05-25-2011, 09:16 AM
As much as I hate it I'm probably better off. I really can't afford the expense right now, but I would have made an exception for this one because if the massive amount of prize money. Normally the prize money has little to do with wanting to compete for me, but this time its alot!

05-25-2011, 09:31 AM
I see Smokin N the Dark is on the waiting list ready to get that spot.
Sorry you can't make it. Some may not think so by not knowing some of the IBCA/local teams, but there are some really good, solid teams in this one in addition to the KCBS heavy hitters. (excluding me of course...hey, every comp needs its donor teams.)

QansasjayhawQ
05-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Any way giving him all your leftover BBQ after competition might get you any play...
That's what I was thinking - bribes of BBQ seem to go a long way towards tipping the scales in your favor -

Q-Dat
05-25-2011, 09:45 AM
I see Smokin N the Dark is on the waiting list ready to get that spot.
Sorry you can't make it. Some may not think so by not knowing some of the IBCA/local teams, but there are some really good, solid teams in this one in addition to the KCBS heavy hitters. (excluding me of course...hey, every comp needs its donor teams.)

Actually I have met Smokin in the Dark at the other two contests I did this year. They are good folks. I'll be glad to see them get the spot.

05-25-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't know them personally but have heard nothing but good things about them and have witnessed them taking quite a few walks in the short cooking time i've been cooking.

BearCat
05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
One thing I have learned is when doors keep closing on you at every turn its best not to try and force them open.

When I find doors closing on me at every turn I look for a window :thumb: