PDA

View Full Version : Joplin help

barnburner
05-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Everyone.... I live in Joplin and we are fine. I would love to help with a food relief effort here. Anyone and I mean anyone that can help please find it in your heart to do so. I would love to help organize a event where everyone who can come to help feed the first responders. This will be a monumental task. Anyone that can come, please bring your cookers, food, anything! If you want to ship me pre-cooked food email me, if you want me to do anything just get a hold of me. I want to help and I can help here. The southern half of this entire town is completely gone.

Please email me at richie.allen03@gmail.com if I can help.

Just Pulin' Pork
05-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Richie I know there is a group organized and will be coming down to cook. They set up a Facebook page that has all the info on it. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-BBQ-Relief-for-Joplin/166140806782807

barnburner
05-24-2011, 11:26 AM
I am not on facebook but anyone can email me or call me directly at 479-295-5816.

Just Pulin' Pork
05-24-2011, 12:04 PM
I emailed the details from what Jeff Stith posted on FB.

Jeff Hughes
05-24-2011, 01:02 PM
By friday we will have a large crew of comp cooks turning out food.

The comp community is coming together big for this, Cookshack is providing us with an FEC 300. When I called Stuart, he just said sure, come pick it up. Others are being equally generous...

crd26a
05-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Jeff - If you have the logistics, any chance you can post? Not sure if I can get away to help, but if so, would be able to help however needed, just looking for organized info

Divemaster
05-24-2011, 03:45 PM
I wish I could be there to help out and well if it’s after the next couple of weeks…

I’ve dropped a couple of emails to some of our sponsors from my NASCAR days and am hoping that they can help us out with some raw product.

Best of luck and I’m glad you all came through it OK!

Jeff Hughes
05-24-2011, 04:27 PM
The best info is on the facebook page set up by Jeff Stith--Operation BBQ Relief For Joplin(link is above)

smknwhlswife
05-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Operation BBQ Relief in Joplin
by Jeff Stith on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 12:54am

Update on feeding folks in Joplin - We have four or five large capacity smokers. Should be enough. Can use some FEs to hold food once done. Again, we will be in the mall parking lot at 7th and Rangeline with the Farmers Insurance command center. You can MapQuest the location of the intersection. I plan to be in Joplin by noon on Tuesday. Stan is already in the area. If you are stopped by National Guard, let them know you are with the KCBS/Kookers Kare people working with Farmers Insurance to cook BBQ for displaced families and rescue workers. Looks like we have both pork and chicken donated and probably buns, water and single serving chips. Will verify that in the morning. Kookers Kare will be helping with other items. Have plenty of hickory donated per Tim Gray. May need charcoal. Pork may arrive sometime Tuesday. Chicken (50,000 pounds from OK Foods) arrives on Wednesday. Will feed any displaced families and rescue workers who come to our location. We will also obtain the locations/addresses of all temporary shelters set up in area churches, schools, etc. and deliver meals to those locations each day at lunch and dinner. Plan is to have 5 to 10 people there each day, Tuesday through Monday of next week. We can rotate out in shifts depending on when you can be there. Please post on the BBQ Relief page I will create here on Facebook and invite you to join when you can be there. I will be able to check as we will have WiFi through the Farmers Insurance satellite. My cell is (816) 590-5057 but I may or may not be able to take calls depending on what we're doing or if we even will have good cell coverage as towers are down.

PLEASE - we can use as many ServSafe Certified people as possible to avoid problems with the health department!!! If you are not certified through ServSafe, go to www.ServSafe.com and purchase the online class. Mine for Missouri was only $15 and I completed the course, took the test and printed my certificate in less than 90 minutes! I think all of us arriving on Tuesday have done this. If you are coming later, there should be plenty of time! Don't forget to print your certificate after you take the test and bring a couple of copies with you just in case.

What should you bring? Some suggestions:

* ServSafe Certificate (couple of copies)

* Snacks and drinks for yourself

* Coolers

* Cambro / Carlisle

* Thermapen

* Single use gloves (preferably nitrile)

* Any rubs and/or sauces you wish to donate!!!

* Pillow / blanket / chair (some sleeping in their car - limited space for RVs)

* Rain gear (it's supposed to rain from time to time)

* If you have them and wish to contribute, full size aluminum pans and foil/lids

* Change of clothes or two and comfortable shoes

* Bus tubs

*Full size sheet pans

* Coleman Hot water heaters

* water storage containers (FILLED AT HOME!!! There is a boil order in Joplin!)

* Generators (bring plenty of gasoline)

* Camera (I plan to take some photos - I fully expect seeing things that will remain with me the rest of my life)

Safe travels to you all and thank you for your support of the citizens of Joplin.

Jeff Hughes
05-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all you are doing for this effort Kim...

bbq ron
05-24-2011, 06:49 PM
let me know if you need help over the memorial weekend. just shoot me a pm and i will see what i can do.
Ron

HarleyEarl
05-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Kim, I posted on FB as requested, but forgot to add that I will be able to do deliveries to the shelters if needed. Thank you for doing this.

Meat Burner
05-24-2011, 07:07 PM
barnburner, our Springfield Sertoma has smokers set up at Magoos on Kentucky and 7th. I took 150 lbs of butts and 400 lbs of charcoal to them today. Jim and Jeff are cooking and they are a competition team as well. Stop by and say I to them if you can. Glad you are okay brother>

smknwhlswife
05-24-2011, 07:56 PM
FYI....

Anyone wanting to donate money by check please Make your check out to Kookers Kare Inc. and mail it to Kookers Kare Inc. 7162 Highway O Odessa, MO 64076-7285.

More info will be available soon as to being able to make a donation using a credit card. Thank You Gerry Kookers Kare Treasurer

barnburner
05-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Kim, I posted on FB as requested, but forgot to add that I will be able to do deliveries to the shelters if needed. Thank you for doing this.

Marc... If you can get here and help, please do!! We need help!

Richie Allen

barnburner
05-24-2011, 09:11 PM
barnburner, our Springfield Sertoma has smokers set up at Magoos on Kentucky and 7th. I took 150 lbs of butts and 400 lbs of charcoal to them today. Jim and Jeff are cooking and they are a competition team as well. Stop by and say I to them if you can. Glad you are okay brother>

Thank you for donating! God bless. I'll be out in the area starting promptly tomorrow morning and plan on helping until until I drop from exhaustion. Anyone that needs anything, I live here and can provide shelter, shower, whatever. Please email me at my above post. God bless everyone that is helping, we desperately need it.

barnburner
05-24-2011, 09:36 PM
If anyone wants to mail, FedEx, or UPS rubs, sauces, anything the cooks might need, please send it to me and I will make sure it gets to the cookers here in Joplin. Email me and I will provide my home address for shipping info.

Meat Burner
05-24-2011, 09:38 PM
May God bless you brother.

Knothead
05-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Stith we are available all weekend (servsafe certified) send me a pm if you need us or when you need us

bmanMA
05-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Brethren Bump.
I cant make the trip but plan to send some stuff. I hope the rest of the comp farkers can as well.

KC_Bobby
05-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Barnburner, are mail and other delivery services making deliveries?

smknwhlswife
05-24-2011, 11:25 PM
PayPal Donations!

Kookers Kare can now accept donations to help the people of Joplin thru
PayPal.com. If you have a paypal account make your donation to...
donations@kookerskare.com or you can go to our website, www.kookerskare.com and use a credit card.Thank You, Gerry Kookers Kare Treasure

Jeff Hughes
05-24-2011, 11:27 PM

If not, pm me, I'll give you a Tulsa address and make sure things get delivered...

ThomEmery
05-24-2011, 11:46 PM
PayPal Donations!

Kookers Kare can now accept donations to help the people of Joplin thru
PayPal.com. If you have a paypal account make your donation to...
donations@kookerskare.com or you can go to our website, www.kookerskare.com and use a credit card.Thank You, Gerry Kookers Kare Treasure

Thanks

Fat Woody
05-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks to everyone who has worked to put this together and get the word out. Can't be there, but am sending a donation to Kookers Kare via PayPal. Be careful if you're traveling to Joplin and stay safe.

barnburner
05-25-2011, 12:31 AM

No mail service in Joplin but I live in Webb City where mail is running. PM or email me for my address.

This Is How We Que It
05-25-2011, 07:51 AM
I have been here since Monday morning as a first responder, I've seen UPS and mail trucks making deliveries. Thanks for coming down and cooking, a hot meal really helps morale. Stay safe everyone.

Big George's BBQ
05-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Donation sent

ThomEmery
05-25-2011, 09:10 AM
http://www.kookerskare.com/

Our Brothers and Sisters in smoke need some help serving the folks in Joplin Mo

barnburner
05-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Wanted to give everyone an update... Things are running fairly smoothly down here in Joplin.The cookers have been awesome. We have 50,000 lbs of chicken to cook and are feeding about ~1,000 people a day. Thanks to everyone who has called and either donated products, their time, or hard earned money. Whoever comes to help will truly see it is all worth every penny. The devastation down here is simply disturbing. Even the hardest SOB's down here have fought back tears.

I could share so many stories from today but, I will end with this one. An elderly lady came up to our site today and said she lost everything, her house, all her possessions, and she only had $8 on her and her ID. She said she was hungry and lost everything but would pay money out of her $8 to get a meal. I know several people who were fighting back the tears. At least she ate well when she was in our care and we told her to come back every meal, everyday, and she would be fed for free.

HarleyEarl
05-25-2011, 10:57 PM
I'll be heading down to Joplin Friday afternoon and am willing to take any supplies people wish to donate. I could meet you in Kansas City around noon Friday. If interested, please PM me with contact information.

Richie (barnburner) since you have "feet on the ground", could you provide a list of items that are needed?

barnburner
05-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Richie (barnburner) since you have "feet on the ground", could you provide a list of items that are needed?

It would be best if everyone got a hold of Jeff Stith to see what is needed and Mike @ Oakridge BBQ in KC because he is coordinating help, scheduling people, and supplies.

barnburner
05-26-2011, 03:30 PM
A little miscalculation yesterday. We fed about 3,000 people and are feeding about ~7,000 people today.

bbqbull
05-26-2011, 08:16 PM
I just hit Paypal for Kookers Kare!

Meat Burner
05-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Our Sertoma Club has been there since Monday trying to help and feed the volunteers or whomever needs food. The people in Joplin are so tough and determined to overcome this and are amazing folk. They are our neighbors and proud that they are.

Smokin' Hicks
05-26-2011, 10:09 PM
sounds like everyone is really coming together......cant wait to give you guys a hand.....we will be down there with our smoker, cases of coffee, cases of small bags of chips, and 200 lbs of pork butt......if anyone needs anything else just let me know, we are leaving sunday night around 8 pm from st louis so we should get there about midnight or so

timzcardz
05-26-2011, 10:10 PM
I am truly honored to be able to help such a great bunch of people so selflessly help another bunch of people that are in such great need.

PayPal donation sent.

Thank you.

Smokin Mike
05-27-2011, 03:23 PM
I was down there for 3 days helping, I had to leave this morning, but I do know alot of people was asking for a coke, Pepsi, or "something sweet" ,,, chips are hard to keep up with demand too,,

Jeff_in_KC
05-28-2011, 01:00 AM
I had to come back and let Stan, Lee and Will (Sticks n Chicks) run the show cuz we have a catering job we committed to. Four days in Joplin and I'm beat. By the time I left this afternoon, we had served approximately 18,000 meals in 72 hours, a credit to the dedicated cookers who responded to our call for help! Can't believe yet what Stan and I discussed early Monday morning turned into an operation complete with three semi trucks, a fork lift, pallets and pallets full of supplies and food, over 60,000 pounds of meat and countless volunteers and donors! You are all fantastic folks! Thank you for what you've done! I cannot begin to put into words the things we saw, the stories we heard and the first hand life experiences from survivors. No human being should ever have to witness what we and everyone else in Joplin saw. Coming home tonight felt like we came home from another planet. It's completely surreal. Imagine what you've seen on TV and multiply it by 20 or 30 and you're close to actuality.

bbqbull
05-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Thank you to Jeff, Stan, Lee, Will and all the rest of the folks who undertook such a huge job.
I am sure every hungry victim is so thankful for all the hard work you all did for making sure folks had food to eat.
Thank you again from the bottom of my heart!
God Bless you all.

smknwhlswife
05-29-2011, 07:46 AM
In 5 days we have served over 110,000 plates!!!

HarleyEarl
05-29-2011, 08:24 PM
I heard we did 21,000 meals yesterday and would love to know what we did today - felt like more. I also heard that someone is going to set up a photo bucket account to post & view photos. I'll post the link when I get it.

Jeff Hughes
05-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Man, that was a life changing experience for me(along with everyone else)...

Operation BBQ Relief is going to become a major part of disaster relief from now on...

A long term organization is in the works...

Jeff Hughes
05-30-2011, 12:01 AM
I heard we did 21,000 meals yesterday and would love to know what we did today - felt like more

Yesterday was wild...

How did things go today?

HarleyEarl
05-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Jeff, we seemed to have everything under control since Randy was keeping track of requests for food and had plenty of meat in the smokers/cambros. Then all of a sudden the requests tripled. We started filling every square inch of all the smokers and cooked frantically. Thankfully two more smokers pull into the lot and they were lit immediately. I had to leave about 2:00 so don't know how everything panned out and felt bad about having to turn over 12 full pans of chicken in the Caveman Cuisine's smoker over to another cook, but I hit the proverbial brick wall and just couldn't go anymore emotionally, mentally & physically - I was just shot. I don't know how the folks that have been there since Tuesday can do it - they must be Supermen and Superwomen disguised as BBQers.

I'll post more thoughts and photos later once I have a chance to put them together.

Big George's BBQ
05-30-2011, 08:13 AM
You guys are amazing Thank you so much

ThomEmery
05-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Man, that was a life changing experience for me(along with everyone else)...

Operation BBQ Relief is going to become a major part of disaster relief from now on...

A long term organization is in the works...

I would like to know about the long term organization

Muzzlebrake
05-30-2011, 02:26 PM
BIG BIG props to all of you doing this!!

Kim was keeping us updated all weekend, the stories are heartbeaking, the pictures are mind boggling and the amount of people that you have helped is absolutely amazing!

You all should be very proud of yourselves, we are all proud to call you our friends!

HarleyEarl
05-30-2011, 04:15 PM
I would like to throw out a public THANK YOU to Richie Allen (barnburner) for all he has done the Operation BBQ Relief for Joplin. He is a local resident and a member of our BBQ family (he has cooked with at least two teams and is a Master CBJ). He has been on site helping out since day one, putting in at least 12 hours a day doing anything and everything asked of him. Not only does he live minutes away from the storm damage, his wife, Sara, works at one of the business that was destroyed by the tornado (thankfully she was not at work that day). They gave me a place to stay along with a much needed and appreciated shower while I was down there and he has offered the same to others. Richie and Sara are a wonderful and humble couple and would never ask for recognition, but deserve it none the less. I canít believe how open and caring these two are in the face of the devastation they are living with, but thatís just Richie and Sara Ė two truly great people! While others are getting much deserved praise for their tireless work, Richie is one of our unsung heroes.

So Richie, yet once again THANK YOU!!!

Jeff Hughes
05-30-2011, 04:50 PM
There are many heros out of this deal(including Richie), but the big one is Will Cleaver from Sticks and Chicks. He was the ramrod of the operation on the ground. He worked tirelessly from tuesday on, and as far as i know is still there.

The people of Joplin are very lucky to have had Will leading us on the ground. I only hope I can do the same if in a similar situation.

If you ever see Sticks and Chicks at a comp, go shake his hand and buy him a drink. He deserves that and a lot more.

HarleyEarl
05-30-2011, 07:41 PM
I just finished up-loading some photos from my weekend in Joplin.

The link to the album is at Operation BBQ Relief for Joplin (http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/a418/Marc_Matthews/Operation%20BBQ%20Relief%20for%20Joplin/)

Please note that this is just an album of my photos, not the official album. When that one is up and running, I will share the link.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a418/Marc_Matthews/Operation%20BBQ%20Relief%20for%20Joplin/Joplin2011-05-2814-PeoplearrivingonsiteforaBBQmeal.jpg

Please keep the people in your thoughts and prayers!

barnburner
05-31-2011, 12:18 PM
There are so many incredible people to thank over the last week now. I'll leave it to just a short list but please do not be offended if not mentioned. There are (were) just so many superstars there helping.

Will Cleaver... I had never met the man before but he is truly amazing. He came and absolutely kicked ass. Will was there over a week literally going non-stop. I can't remember a time ever seeing him sitting down taking a break and only remember seeing him just a few times even drinking some water. Thank you Will!! You deserve a round of drinks from the entire BBQ community. If anyone ever sees Will, please go and shake his hand, tell him thank you for what he did because it was truly amazing.

Randy from HalfSauced BBQ. If anyone is ever within 250 miles of his restaurant in Osage Beach, MO, hell within the entire state of MO, please stop in and patronize his business. Randy truly deserves it. Randy showed up on Tuesday and was still there yeserday (Monday) 7 days straight. I had also never met Randy before but the guy is an absolute machine. Randy is another man that in 7 days, I really never seen him sitting down, eating anything, or drinking any water at all. All I ever seen Randy doing was busting his ass, non-stop. At the very least, Randy deserves and ice cold beer, a hand-shake, and a manly hug telling him how much he was appreciated down here.

Stan Hayes and Jeff Stith are also at the very top of the list. Both of these guys busted their asses too working non-stop trying to feed people.

Lee- This guy has the heart of a lion. Lee, much like Will and Randy just never stopped and never quit. Lee was here about 7 days too and he truly did an amazing job.

Walt from Dead Pigs- Walt worked and worked and worked non-stop and I really enjoyed meeting him. Walt is a great guy and deserves a cold beer with a thank you. Anyone who sees him, please recognize the blood, sweat, and tears he and his wife put into this effort.

Tim Gray- Tim got 50,000 lbs of chicken donated and then turned around and got another 50,000 lbs. Tim worked his ass off, went home and worked his regular job and then came back and worked here and did this for the better part of a week. Thank you Tim!!

Michelle Higgins- She showed up and busted her ass taking food non-stop all over this town time and time again. Michelle is a great asset to the BBQ community and if you see her, please tell her thanks for all she did.

Jon- Also from Chicks N Sticks. Jon showed up and never stopped from the time he got here. Jon worked and worked and, I commend him. Much like all the rest, I really never seen Jon sitting down taking a break. Jon was always busting his ass for someone.

Marc Matthews- FunnyFarmBBQ. Marc came down on a Friday evening and left Sunday around 2 pm. In that time, Marc maybe slept 8 hours total. When Will was looking for someone to stay up all night tending to a smoker that wasn't even his to provide food for the next day, Marc volunteered. Marc was here about 45 hours and worked non-stop about 40 of those 45. I know Marc will be at the contest in Lee's Summit this weekend, please go shake his hand and tell him thanks for all he did.

There are many, many, others and I wish I could remember them all to recognize them because each and every one of them deserve it. I want to personally thank each individual that came because we really KICKED ASS and made a difference!