PDA

View Full Version : Oregon, Willamette Valley

QN
05-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Headed to Oregon for an extended weekend next week. Planning to visit some wineries in the Willamette Valley area and drive to the coast to visit a brewery in Newport. Then back up to the Columbia River Gorge. Anyone familiar with this area?
Thanks.

Arlin_MacRae
05-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Rogue Brewery in Newport. Excellent choice. :) Do you know they have a bed & breakfast there at the public house? Whether you need a room or not I recommend you stop there for food. GOOD.

TIme for some folks who are still locals to chime in here. I'm a bit rusty on things Oregonian...

bigdogphin
05-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Yes, are you looking for suggentions? Full Sail brewery in Hood River is good. What area of the willamette valley? The Yamhill area for wineries is a must (Sokol Blosser). Do you have a planned trip or just wingin it? You can drive thru Newberg and Dundee on your way to Newport and stop at several tasting rooms.

PitRow
05-25-2011, 05:44 PM
You can drive thru Newberg and Dundee on your way to Newport and stop at several tasting rooms.

plan on some extra time if you're going through dundee, traffic there sucks no matter the time or the day. Newberg isn't much better during rush hour. However, there are plenty of wineries in that area to stop and taste. On your way to Newport, make sure you stop in Depot Bay (in between Lincoln City and Newport). There's a couple wine tasting places right on the main strip there that have excellent wines. Depot Bay Winery has a cool little "Wine Cave" there, and some of my favorite wines. Their Blackberry wine is an awesome dessert wine.

In Newport, Rogue brewery is a must, but can be very crowded. Their "restaurant" is pretty small and plenty popular. The historic bay-front district can be lots of fun, but is a little "touristy". A lot of people will tell you to stop in Mo's for their famous clam chowder. I'm not a fan myself, but most people rave over it.

As far as Q-joints, if you're looking for that, you're kinda S.O.L. aren't too many of them around these parts.

martyleach
05-28-2011, 01:12 AM
One of my very good longtime friends owns Naked Winery in Hood River. His name is David Barringer and you would have a blast at his winery tasting room. It is definitely a theme winery.... Hugh Hefner had his wines at his 80th birthday party, nuf said.
If you are interested, please PM me and I will set it up.

QN
05-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Here is what we have planned so far...

Thursday, June 2, fly to Portland; stay at airport hotel; we get there late.

Friday, June 3; pick up rental car and head toward McMinnville in Yamhill county; planning to take our time and visit some wineries along the way; ADEA, Domaine Serene, R. Stewart, Argyle, and possibly others. Staying at the Hotel Oregon in McMinnville.

Saturday, June 4; driving to Newport; planning to take the slow/scenic route to the coast and then down Hwy 101 to Newport; Rogue is definitely on the list; staying at the Embarcadero on the bay.

Sunday, June 5; driving to Gresham via Corvallis and Albany. Staying at hotel in Gresham.

Monday, June 6; Columbia River gorge; planning to take an all day outing up to Hood River and make a big loop around Mt. Hood back to Portland airport.

bigdogphin
05-30-2011, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=QN;1658279]Here is what we have planned so far...

Sunday, June 5; driving to Gresham via Corvallis and Albany. Staying at hotel in Gresham.

QUOTE]

On sunday if you hit it right stop by the Portland Rose Festival on the waterfront in Portland. The final day of the Pacific Northwest BBQ Championship will be happening. turn ins are from 11 to 2 and awards at 5. Come by and say hello.

timmy7649
05-31-2011, 05:41 PM
if your by chance in mcminville the 5th come by my brothers consecion at his new location at the south end of town past alf's ice cream and have lunch. it's called bert's chuckwagon. i taught him every thing i know about bbq. have a great trip.

bassbuster33
05-31-2011, 11:42 PM
plan on some extra time if you're going through dundee, traffic there sucks no matter the time or the day. Newberg isn't much better during rush hour. However, there are plenty of wineries in that area to stop and taste. On your way to Newport, make sure you stop in Depot Bay (in between Lincoln City and Newport). There's a couple wine tasting places right on the main strip there that have excellent wines. Depot Bay Winery has a cool little "Wine Cave" there, and some of my favorite wines. Their Blackberry wine is an awesome dessert wine.

In Newport, Rogue brewery is a must, but can be very crowded. Their "restaurant" is pretty small and plenty popular. The historic bay-front district can be lots of fun, but is a little "touristy". A lot of people will tell you to stop in Mo's for their famous clam chowder. I'm not a fan myself, but most people rave over it.

As far as Q-joints, if you're looking for that, you're kinda S.O.L. aren't too many of them around these parts.

I would recommend Gracie's Sea Hag in Depot Bay for chowder and plenty of other great seafood fare.

Mo's is overrated. I am not sure where the reputation came from.

Rogue at Newport is great. We go to Newport a lot and the Rogue brewery (not the bar on the old waterfront) is always on the list. You'll like the Embarcadero, we stay there quite often.

I would recommend a stop by McMenamin's Edgefield in Troutdale while you are in that part of the Portland area if you can squeeze it in. It is a really neat place with lot's of great wine, beer and spirits made on premises.

Podnah's Pit in Portland is is great for 'Q. Not a big fan of Reo's, but we do like some menu items at Russell Street BBQ.

QN
06-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks to all for the input and suggestions. We had a great trip. Tidal Raves Seafood Grill in Depoe Bay was good for the food and view. Local Ocean Seafood restaurant in Newport was very good.