PDA

View Full Version : I get a little worried when....

Rob Albach
05-13-2011, 06:59 PM
I hear a someone who is supposed to be judging a KCBS comp say something like this

"Is Pork (pulled\loin) missing from the meat category for the Sunday turn in."

statement was in reference to the pork turn in time being absent on the schedule

Bbq Bubba
05-13-2011, 07:04 PM
I give, wassup?

Rob Albach
05-13-2011, 08:02 PM
I think he accidently slipped in the word "loin" instead of "Butt"....

QansasjayhawQ
05-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Wow. Yeah - good question - what's up? Was this actually a judge? Sounds like maybe they were really drunk or something wacky like that - ???

Smokin' Hicks
05-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Just to throw my two cents in even though it is only worth 1 cent.....i seriously think there needs to be a whole lot more professionalism as judges at these comps....NOT ALL JUDGES....but it takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch....and i hear a horror story like this one at just about every other comp. its just sad......those few poor excuses for judges just ruin the whole impression of the judging process for everyone....i really think if the KCBS thins the heard for judges and doesnt just hand out the ability to be a judge to any joe shmoe that comes along this would seriously help....i know you need a good amount of them to do a comp so why not pay the judges a small stipend for judging if it increases the professionalism of the judging i would be willing to pay the extra money in a second

QansasjayhawQ
05-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Just to throw my two cents in even though it is only worth 1 cent.....i seriously think there needs to be a whole lot more professionalism as judges at these comps....NOT ALL JUDGES....but it takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch....and i hear a horror story like this one at just about every other comp. its just sad......those few poor excuses for judges just ruin the whole impression of the judging process for everyone....i really think if the KCBS thins the heard for judges and doesnt just hand out the ability to be a judge to any joe shmoe that comes along this would seriously help....i know you need a good amount of them to do a comp so why not pay the judges a small stipend for judging if it increases the professionalism of the judging i would be willing to pay the extra money in a second
That's an interesting thought - but in the end, it's all a big fund raiser anyway. No one really wins (as in being profitable) at these things. If you're competing simply to win the prize money, then you're not running a very good business. If you win and you parlay that into a BBQ sauce / rub / injection etc. business, then that makes sense.

To pay the judges to be better seems like you'd simply wind up with the same judges - but paid.

Besides, not everyone wants to be a true, professional BBQ judge.

You know what I've found? The judges that are 1) inexperienced and 2) highly opinionated - well, they don't seem to stick around long. That's because the rewards of judging are not simply in being able to eat outstanding BBQ. The true rewards are to know that you've done your small part to 1) help the teams, 2) make the competition possible and 3) ultimately help whatever charity the competition is benefiting.

I think that NOT paying the judges will keep only those judges who are dedicated to their 'profession' (even if they aren't paid) of judging BBQ and doing a great job at it. Just ask Rookie48 how many hours and how many gallons of fuel he's invested in to be able to judge over the last year . . .
:wink:

luckyduk
05-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Just ask Rookie48 how many hours and how many gallons of fuel he's invested in to be able to judge over the last year . . .
:wink:

Not counting the pounds of cheese and gallons of brown water!!!

If it were a paying deal you would get more people looking for a free meal and a check!!

INmitch
05-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Quite beating yourself up about judges. After 3 years of doing this ya gotta take your scores n move on. I studied last weeks scores and came up with all kind of scenerios.
If pork would have scored 1 higher taste point we would have won pork!
If brisket would have scored like the last few comps we would have won GC.
I'm embarrassed (sp) for the way I was b!tching after awards last week about my scores.
Take what you get n move on. Sometimes ya hit the right tables.
And of course sometimes you don't!!
Read your scores and try to learn from them cause there's always gonna be "them" judges.
We couldn't play this game without em.

QansasjayhawQ
05-14-2011, 12:00 AM
Quite beating yourself up about judges. After 3 years of doing this ya gotta take your scores n move on. I studied last weeks scores and came up with all kind of scenerios.
If pork would have scored 1 higher taste point we would have won pork!
If brisket would have scored like the last few comps we would have won GC.
I'm embarrassed (sp) for the way I was b!tching after awards last week about my scores.
Take what you get n move on. Sometimes ya hit the right tables.
And of course sometimes you don't!!
Read your scores and try to learn from them cause there's always gonna be "them" judges.
We couldn't play this game without em.
Fowl Butt? LOL in the extreme! Thank you! Great team name! LOL!

carlyle
05-14-2011, 01:22 PM
I think that paying judges is a really bad idea. It would add to the overhead for the contests. I do not think that it would improve the quality of the judging.

It seems to me to be more productive for organizers to be picky about who they choose to have come judge. Also let's hope KCBS follows through with judge tracking and continuing CBJ education.

Also while judging is happening, having table captains and reps observing and giving immediate feedback if a problem is detected also is very helpful.

The dedicated judges I have had good experience with makes the core group of judges for this year's contest.

With over 90 applicants from 6 states and Canada, I have the luxury of being able to pick and choose. The sad part is that the number of teams dictate the number of judges, and some good people will not be able to judge because of that.

INmitch
05-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Fowl Butt? LOL in the extreme! Thank you! Great team name! LOL!

Ya we get a lot of laughs when people see our banner! It was my teamate Jason's idea!:bow: