PDA

View Full Version : anybody that did the Morgan Hill, CA contest - question on Ranchers Reserve

Stoke&Smoke
05-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Did anybody participate in the Ranchers Reserve portion of this comp?? Sure would like some info on how they did it.

Were they limited to KCBS garnishes? Any other info? Trying to decide if we want to do this, or just eat the damn steak in 2 weeks.

huminie
05-13-2011, 10:44 AM
I did it in Morgan Hill...not very well, but I did it. The rules will likely change as it moves along so you will need to check with your promoter/rep to find out what they will be looking for.

But for us it was open garnish...basically anything goes with the exception of anything ridiculously large. I think they said 18"x18" to keep it manageable. You could use whatever you want and be creative. The whole presentation was used to score appearance. From there the judges were instructed to only taste the meat and base taste/tenderness on the meat alone. So, if you wrapped the steak in lobsters tails and made it look great, you would get 9s on appearance, but the judge would not taste the lobster for the other scores...just the meat.

I have heard they may change that and encourage teams to create a recipe using the meat since RR is looking for "new ideas" for using their products. If it changes to that then it will be anything goes and judges will taste it all.

Scottie
05-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Dann, Westmont is treating it as a 5th category. So KCBS turn-in a 9x9. Parsley and lettuce only.

Id eat it on Saturday night and don't forget to invite me!!!!! ;)

huminie
05-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Harry Soo placed second with some sort of presentation that included martini glasses on a tray...I think he has a pic on his blog.

Scottie
05-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Westmont for sure didn't want that. We had discussed that at the BBQ Committee meeting. They want it simple so more folks will do it and not feel intimidated.

huminie
05-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Morgan Hill had 17 turn ins...out of 65 teams. You have a valid concern.

BearCat
05-13-2011, 03:15 PM
The Email from Jim, friday last week had the team letter attached that said "Ranchers Reserve is back again this year. However, they have changed the contest and will be doing a Top Sirloin steak cook off this year as a fifth turn in. See KCBS website for more info on Ranchers Reserve . You must register on-line and also let me know that you plan to participate. Once you acquire the Top Sirloin from the Dominick’s store listed you MUST present to me the receipt showing purchase from that store. When I do the meat inspection I will also do the Ranchers Reserve requirements. What is neat about this program is that you can cook the top sirloin any way you want. As a steak, as a stew, as a stroganoff, or whatever. The prizes are $900 for 1st; $700 for 2nd; & $500 for 3rd. Call or email me if you have any questions. See attached letter from Ranchers. I think this is going to be an exciting contest for you to enter. So let your creative juices flow."
Has this changed? can we get an email verifing the change, I like the idea of a Martini sirloin

Stoke&Smoke
05-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Still have some of those from chili comps Joe? :-D

I remember seeing Jims letter too....seems like they just keep vaguing it up. I think I'll come with a few plans, and figure it out Saturday. Seems to me if it's a Ranchers Reserve promotion, they should set the same rules to be followed for each and every event. Otherwise it's a crapshoot....well hell...they're all crapshoots anyway!