Ends: 07/22/2012
KCBS Reps: KATHIE DAKAI, KEN DAKAI

Contact Information:
Arthur Faria
Phone: 401-789-3902
budfaria@yahoo.com

Muzzlebrake
05-13-2011, 12:13 AM
sounds like an auto........thats going be a tough one, everyone will be there!

Mrs. McFrankenboo
05-13-2011, 12:28 AM
I am very excited for this one! I am Rhode Island born and raised and it will be great to get out there and compete so friends and family can finally understand what we do! LOL!!

Meat@Slim's
05-13-2011, 06:20 AM
sounds like an auto........thats going be a tough one, everyone will be there!

Same weekend as Harpoon.

BevBrother1
05-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Finally - a contest that is 10 minutes from my house!!!

ique
05-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Three New England contests the same weekend... why?

Scottie
05-13-2011, 09:21 AM
See you there.

Sledneck
05-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Same weekend as Harpoon.

harpoon fri -sat
rhode island- sat sun

3 hour drive

Sledneck
05-13-2011, 09:58 AM
This event is in conjunction with their annual hot air balloon festival

Muzzlebrake
05-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Same weekend as Harpoon.

not all of us have the SAT scores to get into Harpoon:icon_shy

Sledneck
05-13-2011, 02:58 PM

hahahhahaa now THAT is funny

ique
05-13-2011, 03:44 PM

Thats pretty clear :boxing:

Westexbbq
05-13-2011, 03:57 PM
^^^^^^^^
Gotta admit, that's a clever retort.
Nothing like the thrust and parry of witty repartee......

Muzzlebrake
05-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Thats pretty clear :boxing:

^^^^^^^^
Gotta admit, that's a clever retort.
Nothing like the thrust and parry of witty repartee......

huh? I don't get it?:confused:

all you academics, have fun in Harpoon, I'll be hanging with the smokers out back in RI. Us dumb kids always have better parties anyway

Meat@Slim's
05-13-2011, 05:43 PM
harpoon fri -sat
rhode island- sat sun

3 hour drive

Completely true. I'm guessing if you pull up stakes Saturday and leave a hole in the festival then you will be enrolled in RI Community College exclusively in 2013.

Pass me another Harpoon please.

Muzzlebrake
05-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Completely true. I'm guessing if you pull up stakes Saturday and leave a hole in the festival then you will be enrolled in RI Community College exclusively in 2013.

Pass me another Harpoon please.

RICC thats funny!

boogiesnap
05-13-2011, 07:55 PM

i started the app for harpoon, looked at the questionaire....:rolleyes:

Anchors Smokeshop
05-13-2011, 09:38 PM
This is 2011 and the title of the thread says 2012.

MilitantSquatter
05-13-2011, 09:41 PM

Correct.

CTSmokehouse
05-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Three New England contests the same wee kend... why?

Could you win a State Chmpionship in RI while the big guns are at Harpoon, VT? Isn't TOY at Harvard, Mass. this year?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

nancee
05-13-2011, 09:51 PM
because we are too stupid to schedule things on alternative weekends?
this does say 2012 so who knows???

pigmaker23
05-13-2011, 10:01 PM
It is 2012 . Not This Year.

The Anchorman
05-14-2011, 08:42 AM
The weekend in question has been a LOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNG standing weekend for the Rotary. The Balloon Festival has been there for over 30 years. I used to vend at this festival 20 years ago.
I think there will be a MAJOR problem for any Adult Beverages, because it is on the grounds of URI.
I may be helping in the planning of this organization.

Muzzlebrake
05-14-2011, 09:54 AM
I think there will be a MAJOR problem for any Adult Beverages, because it is on the grounds of URI.

and whoever heard of a drunk college kid?:becky: haven't we already established the smart kids will all be in VT? Hopefully there will be some hot summer school girls floating around..... this is sounding better and better all the time!

It will be good to see you Ray, its been a long time!

The Anchorman
05-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Well it is called You Are High "URI" for a reason. Having had two kids graduated from there I know from what I speak. But this is a well established Family Event. Personally I have tried to get this Rotary involved for the first RI contest but they had nothing to do with it. Now they are on board...
I do not know who they will address issues of electricity and water, I will try to find out every thing and post later.

Muzzlebrake
05-14-2011, 01:38 PM
U R High thats funny! In NY we have Stoneyonta

bmanMA
05-14-2011, 04:51 PM
plus maine? i know RI needs a comp, but man talk about a bad weekend.

Mrs. McFrankenboo
05-15-2011, 12:59 PM

Even with the new president it's still a dry campus?? I spent 3 years avoiding getting caught with their dry campus rule then, I think I can do it for one more weekend! :cool:

The Anchorman
05-15-2011, 01:40 PM
I have contacted the organizer, a Church friend . I will be meeting with the Rotary and him to discuss the contest. What cookers want and need and also how this will be tough to get teams to support a New Contest with two Already Established Contests on the same weekend.
Please any infor to aid in this meeting will be very helpful.
What would it take to attract teams to this contest, other than Bottom Feeding for a State Championship GC!
Please any help will be helpful!!!

Muzzlebrake
05-15-2011, 02:20 PM
What would it take to attract teams to this contest, other than Bottom Feeding for a State Championship GC!

No other contests in RI, keep it an automatic for the Jack and it will draw!
If its done on a date that doesn't clash with the long established contests, you will get all the NEBSland big teams there. I would think Harpoon would be a bad weekend but if they are tied to that date, it would suck for those guys that have long deep ties to that contest.

I think if its done right you could get a field as strong as any Sam's local. I don't know who could call that bottom feeding.

The Anchorman
05-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Sean, isn't Maine that weekend also?

Muzzlebrake
05-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Sean, isn't Maine that weekend also?

Yes. It's the first contest of the year in Maine, they now have more than one in that state too. Maryland also has a contest that weekend that might draw away some LI/NJ/PA teams. That's going too be a tough weekend

I think that RI is the only state left without multiple contests, so more than likely it is going to overlap something, somewhere. I think if you pick your spot though, you can draw a bunch of teams if its a Jack auto entry.

Its more than a year away, I bet you could generate some fly in buzz too if its a good date

Sledneck
05-15-2011, 08:52 PM
I have contacted the organizer, a Church friend . I will be meeting with the Rotary and him to discuss the contest. What cookers want and need and also how this will be tough to get teams to support a New Contest with two Already Established Contests on the same weekend.
Please any infor to aid in this meeting will be very helpful.
Why do you think it would be bottom feeding? things are always changing in bbq. I think you will be surprised at who might show up at this event no matter how many comps are going on the same weekend. If all these new events northeast are sustained it would be a good thing. In places like KS and MO their are many contests within close driving distance to each other. More options the better. The only time i see that something got really messed up is with CT. Westport was there and then all of the sudden the second CT contest gets added within the same two weeks and they are a mile apart.

Chipper
05-16-2011, 06:16 AM
Why do you think it would be bottom feeding? things are always changing in bbq. I think you will be surprised at who might show up at this event no matter how many comps are going on the same weekend. If all these new events northeast are sustained it would be a good thing. In places like KS and MO their are many contests within close driving distance to each other. More options the better. The only time i see that something got really messed up is with CT. Westport was there and then all of the sudden the second CT contest gets added within the same two weeks and they are a mile apart.

Good point, Sled. This past week-end a new event came on board that took some teams away from the one we attended. But we had 54 teams, which was a new high and the new one did very well too. BBQ is indeed growing.

ique
05-16-2011, 09:29 AM
The weekend in question has been a LOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNG standing weekend for the Rotary.

Then it looks like we will have three that weekend. If it changes you should consider the last weekend of August. RI being an Auto into the Jack would attract a lot of teams probably from all over the country for that last chance of qualifying the weekend before the draw.

Scottie
05-16-2011, 11:27 AM
I could care less if folks think I am bottom fewding. It's a new state for me and I'm going to cook it. I have come to a point in my bbq career where the Jack is not at the top of my list. I have sampled the air at the top of the mountain. I have new mountains to climb.

The Anchorman
05-16-2011, 01:07 PM
RICC thats funny!

Well here is the rundown on the State Higher Education of Rhode Island.

URI University of Rhode Island

RIC Rhode Island College

CCRI Community College of Rhode Island

Now you all know...

Nitrofly
05-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Yes. It's the first contest of the year in Maine, they now have more than one in that state too. Maryland also has a contest that weekend that might draw away some LI/NJ/PA teams. That's going too be a tough weekend

I think that RI is the only state left without multiple contests, so more than likely it is going to overlap something, somewhere. I think if you pick your spot though, you can draw a bunch of teams if its a Jack auto entry.

Its more than a year away, I bet you could generate some fly in buzz too if its a good date

Maine is going to have three state championships this year June, July & Aug

The Anchorman
05-16-2011, 04:06 PM
I could care less if folks think I am bottom fewding. It's a new state for me and I'm going to cook it. I have come to a point in my bbq career where the Jack is not at the top of my list. I have sampled the air at the top of the mountain. I have new mountains to climb.

Well the Highest point in Rhode Island is in our State Landfill, No not really there is a point at the Amazing Height of 812 ft above sea level. So no Mountains here to climb, but if you want to go for a swim http://cozybeach.com/ri-scarboroughbeach.shtml.

Scottie
05-16-2011, 05:05 PM
The state isn't big enough for mountains!!!!

Mrs. McFrankenboo
05-16-2011, 05:14 PM

Jim said it wasn't big enough for my ego either, that's why I had to leave :-D

Drinks are on me at the Mews Tavern, Scottie!!:wink::wink:

The Anchorman
05-16-2011, 07:43 PM

I'll meet you there!

Sledneck
05-16-2011, 09:25 PM
It might be, after all it is big enough to fit ray :tongue::tongue:

The Anchorman
05-17-2011, 12:46 AM
It might be, after all it is big enough to fit ray :tongue::tongue:

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Wow, Ouch!!!

Scottie
05-17-2011, 12:05 PM
LIKE... LIKE... LIKE...

what's the choice of beer? I mean. It sounds like it can't be Harpoon... ;)

I threw a couple 6packs of Harpoon in my rig. Assuming it can make it until you guys get:thumb: there...

ique
05-17-2011, 02:21 PM
LIKE... LIKE... LIKE...

I threw a couple 6packs of Harpoon in my rig. Assuming it can make it until you guys get:thumb: there...

When in RI the choice is Gansett Tallboys

The Anchorman
05-17-2011, 03:03 PM
When in RI the choice is Gansett Tallboys

and they are so good.

Hi Neighbor!

and this year they have a Summer Ale and it is Very Good! http://www.narragansettbeer.com/products/summer-ale

Mrs. McFrankenboo
05-17-2011, 03:08 PM
LIKE... LIKE... LIKE...

69 beers on draught...no crap on tap!!!

Muzzlebrake
05-17-2011, 04:02 PM
69 beers on draught...no crap on tap!!!

Who gives a chit if the state is big enough for mountains, I hope this bar is big enough for all of us:becky:

The Anchorman
05-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Who gives a chit if the state is big enough for mountains, I hope this bar is big enough for all of us:becky:

http://www.mewstavern.com/index.php

Good Watering Hole, but IMHO the food is Way Over Rated!

Scottie
05-17-2011, 04:57 PM

Oh... you're going? Maybe I might have to take a writing class... :becky:

BevBrother1
05-17-2011, 10:51 PM
For anyone interested in some Narragansett (maybe even the new summer) our team, Beverage Brothers have a loose sponsorship with the brewery (free beer for every comp). Stop by our site at ROC and have a tall boy on us!!

Meat@Slim's
05-17-2011, 11:05 PM
For anyone interested in some Narragansett (maybe even the new summer) our team, Beverage Brothers have a loose sponsorship with the brewery (free beer for every comp). Stop by our site at ROC and have a tall boy on us!!

Oh I see how it is. Don't post that info until after Lexington!

Muzzlebrake
05-17-2011, 11:06 PM

Im there!

Muzzlebrake
05-18-2011, 09:28 AM

Dear BBQ Buddy,

Me and my team would like to come to your contest. My friend Jimmy's brother told me he had fun there………:rockon:

CBQ
05-18-2011, 10:10 AM

See the prior post regarding SAT scores.

Will be nice to have a RI contest. Maybe some RI team suggested it to the balloon festival. (Hint: starts with a Z.) Yes, would be nice not to have it on Harpoon Weekend, but the balloon festival has has been around longer than the Harpoon event, so they weren't inclined to change it.

The Anchorman
05-18-2011, 12:42 PM
See the prior post regarding SAT scores.

Will be nice to have a RI contest. Maybe some RI team suggested it to the balloon festival. (Hint: starts with a Z.) Yes, would be nice not to have it on Harpoon Weekend, but the balloon festival has has been around longer than the Harpoon event, so they weren't inclined to change it.

Very Glad ZBQ will be there to represent :thumb:

Cue's Your Daddy
05-18-2011, 01:58 PM

You can just have your daughters write it for you...would probably be better for you

Scottie
05-18-2011, 03:22 PM
More than likely you are correct Paul.

Nitrofly
05-24-2011, 01:30 PM

It would sink if it had a mountain :icon_blush:

Scottie
05-24-2011, 02:05 PM
It would sink if it had a mountain :icon_blush:

Heck Sully. With the size of some of us bbqr's, the state might sink with us invading....

trohrs123
02-16-2012, 10:16 AM
sent in application and money today!!

boogiesnap
02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
see ya there fella!

CBQ
02-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Just to help "allayuz" learn the Rhode Island dialect in time for the contest:

http://www.quahog.org/factsfolklore/index.php?id=43

Three questions a barbecuer might ask or be asked that will be important you:

Beah?