PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Hilo Bay BBQ Competition, Hilo, Hawaii, July 2nd and 3rd, 2011

Crash
05-07-2011, 03:23 AM
To my knowledge, this is the state of Hawaii's 1st sanctioned BBQ event. It is sanctioned by IBCA and is held within a stones throw of Hilo Bay. I seriously couldn't imagine a better place to hold a competition than on the beach in Hawaii.

I do not know the prize fund for this event or if it will draw the appropriate number of teams and the Governor's Proclamation to make it a Jack Draw. Still, cooking a comp in Hawaii doesnt suck at all.

I'll post up more details as I receive them from the organizer.

Ron_L
05-07-2011, 09:47 AM
I hope it is well received!

If my Hawaiian geography is right, You're on Oahu and the comp is on the Big Island, right? How do you get your stuff to the comp and what does that cost?

Crash
05-07-2011, 06:54 PM
I hope it is well received!

If my Hawaiian geography is right, You're on Oahu and the comp is on the Big Island, right? How do you get your stuff to the comp and what does that cost?
Your geography is correct. We will have to float our stuff over on a barge. Cost is around $600, roundtrip.

goodbuddiesbbq
05-08-2011, 08:48 AM
I wish I could float my stuff over there for $600...and sleep on the beach. This might become one of those...I have to do it just once...kind of events.

Keep the details posted as they come in.

RangerJ
05-08-2011, 12:26 PM
$800 per, round trip out of Houston.

I'm giving it some serious thought, a once in a lifetime deal, like that mexico event last year I missed.

but thats a steep price to get your pits over there, Crash. $1200.. Even if I split it with you, seems a bit insane.

Crash
05-08-2011, 11:52 PM
$800 per, round trip out of Houston.

I'm giving it some serious thought, a once in a lifetime deal, like that mexico event last year I missed.

but thats a steep price to get your pits over there, Crash. $1200.. Even if I split it with you, seems a bit insane.

We also ran the #'s and I think we came up with $2K to fly over, ship stuff roundtrip, entry fees meat, truck rental, etc.....and we live in the freaking state!

It's still on the radar and we are trying to figure out how to make it work.

Crash
05-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Here's also a thought for mainland teams. There's a Home Depot in Hilo that sells smokers, Charbroils I think. Teams could buy a pair, cook on them and then sell them to a local at a reduced cost.

It's a thought, even though I hate those Charbroil offsets.

Stoneman
05-09-2011, 01:25 AM
Good luck with this contest there! If times were better I would be there in a second. Good luck and have fun.

R&R BBQ Team

Crash
05-11-2011, 06:20 AM
$75 entry fee
$125 competition if you want to serve food. You'll need a permit for this.
http://www.ibcabbq.org/flyers2011/hilo2.pdf

That's all I know for now.

Big Ugly's BBQ
05-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Hmmmm, lets see..

Surfboard's still in Kapolei, if I could get the braddahs together, would love me some big island time. Be a challenge getting an 11' board on an island jumper though. I know there is at least one Backwoods Fatboy out there in the islands.

Crash
05-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Rumor has it a TX team just signed up for this event. Talk about travelling distance.:clap2:

Crash
06-18-2011, 06:00 AM
This event officially received a Governor's Proclamation yesterday. 15 teams and it's a Jack draw.

goodbuddiesbbq
06-18-2011, 08:17 PM
ouch.

Crash
06-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Tough prize fund, but keep in mind this is Hawaii's 1st ever sanctioned event.....or is that the price to fly out on that weekend? :-P

goodbuddiesbbq
06-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Tough prize fund, but keep in mind this is Hawaii's 1st ever sanctioned event.....or is that the price to fly out on that weekend? :-P

Cleveland to Hilo

Bentley
06-19-2011, 01:39 PM
It is a contest like this that makes me wish I was independently wealthy, or had studied more in school!

Crash
06-20-2011, 01:09 AM
It is a contest like this that makes me wish I was independently wealthy, or had studied more in school!
I hear you dude. It's still too rich for my blood, and I live in the state. Inter-island shipping is brutal and inter-island flights on July 4th weekend arent exactly cheap either.

But if it gets to 15 teams........

Bentley
06-20-2011, 11:50 AM
This event officially received a Governor's Proclamation yesterday. 15 teams and it's a Jack draw.

A draw or an automatic? Are there any other contests in the Islands?

Crash
06-20-2011, 01:41 PM
A draw or an automatic? Are there any other contests in the Islands?
Auto. There are no other events out here scheduled for this year.

Bentley
06-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Auto. There are no other events out here scheduled for this year.

I would think a few teams in the 48 would look hard at that if they had a Chubby to get to the Jack once in their Competition career!

Crash
06-21-2011, 01:53 AM
I would think you are correct. I know that there are a few mainland teams eyeballing this event to see if it can get to 15 teams.

If we didn't have a cater on the same day, the wife and I would split into 2 separate teams to cook if it would help get to 15 teams. As it stands now, if it does get to 15...one of us will most likely be flying over to compete.

Crash
07-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Congrats to Cafe Pesto for their GC and Maona's BBQ Team for their RGC this past weekend. This event is in the books and had 11 teams enter.

Looks like the folks at the Jack have elected to make this event a qualifier for the Jack. It will be an auto since there are no other competitions out here in Hawaii before the draw.

It really would have been nice to know about the Jack's exception to the rules for this event prior to the competition. I know of 2 teams that would have made the trip from the outer islands.

Good luck at the Jack this year Chris. We'll be rooting Cafe Pesto on for sure.