PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Battle of the BBQ Brethren PA -BBQ @ The Beach, Heston, PA Sept. 17-18th 2011

Smokin Turkey
05-06-2011, 12:56 PM
PENNSYLVANIA STATE
CHAMPIONSHIP PROCLAMATION
Past Governor Edward G. Rendell has proclaimed Barbeque at the Beach, Raystown Lake to be a Pennsylvania state championship barbeque event. September 17, 18, 2011 at Raystown Lake in Huntingdon County PA!

Last year was our first year with 22 KCBS teams - This year our goal is 42! We are again giving the teams a lake cruise friday night, the open grilling event (hamburger, Pizza, and dessert) People's choice pulled pork to benefit many non profit charities, kids events, RV & Boat show, Car show, vendors, 3 bands, and a one of a kind awards event!

Water, electricity, and ice provided

http://raystown.org/barbeque.html

and

www.facebook.com/RaystownBBQ

AS OF THIS POST - WE HAVE 13 TEAMS REGISTERED!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189747_168063313242885_106207189428498_340438_1444 320_n.jpg

Smokin Turkey
05-06-2011, 01:00 PM
All of last year's photos I have access to are posted on the Facebook Fanpage.

HawgNationBBQ
05-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Already signed up.

begolf25
05-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Slumpbuster BBQ is in! We had a blast last year. Can't wait to get back.

Smokin Turkey
05-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Sweet! I am still looking into what I am going to offer as a GC prize besides the $$. Last year's prize was never claimed after repeated attempts to contact the winner.

This year you will have something to leave with if it's a gift cert or a physical prize.

I'm excited!!!

Slamdunkpro
05-06-2011, 09:25 PM
We're in, maybe this time I'll make the cruise!

Smokin Turkey
05-07-2011, 08:37 AM
I hope so!! We had a great time! I havent checked the calendar for the moon phase but it was pretty dark last year. We just heard the motor and a few spashes as we cruised around. It was fun but dark as the inside of my firebox!

Smokin Turkey
05-19-2011, 11:30 AM
I have a question to put out to the teams coming and considering coming.

First of all we know some of you have comps in the area over the next few weeks before and after our event so we've been trying to arrange for trailer storage to ease your transportation burden especially for the teams traveling great distances.

We have a fenced in 24/hr security manned area available to us for $50/night/vehicle and it's next to the competition area. I put this out as soon as it was made known to me and I immediately heard feedback that it may be a high price.

I did some more searching and I am working on securing another site with no security, possibly fenced in, for $5/night/vehicle and it's about 10 min drive from competition area back to US-22 (Which for most will be the return ride home).

I know I'm burning $4.25/Gal and getting 9-16mpg with trailer connected. You all may be doing worse mileage with gassers. Thoughts anyone?

Dan - 3eyzbbq
05-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Sweet! I am still looking into what I am going to offer as a GC prize besides the $$. Last year's prize was never claimed after repeated attempts to contact the winner.

I'm excited!!!

Well, heck, we are #2 in line. Can I claim it?

Smokin Turkey
05-19-2011, 08:00 PM
I'd love to Dan but I'd have to talk with a few people to see if that would be something we could do. I guess that is what the RGC is for right?

tmcmaster
05-20-2011, 08:35 AM
We are planning to make that part of our vacation this year!!!

Smokin Turkey
06-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Bump! :tumbleweed:

Cue's Your Daddy
06-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Going to try to do this contest.. In talks right now with the team as well as the wife. Only heard good things

Smokin Turkey
06-22-2011, 12:09 PM
We now have 15 teams signed up!

Smokin Turkey
06-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Also this just in from our press release:

New at Barbeque at the Beach 9/17-9/18: People's Choice Charity Fundraiser (Saturday): category - Pulled Pork. Teams will be assigned to heats of up to 6 teams, paired with a participating charity. Cash prizes will be awarded to the winner from each heat, a reserve grand champion, and a grand champion.

Big Ugly's BBQ
06-22-2011, 12:47 PM
If you have the ability, I highly recommend this comp!!! Bring the family, friends, or anyone who wants to have a great time, well worth the trip and the view is spectacular

Skip
06-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Wow Pittsburgh Sams Club and this with the regional the week after. This makes for a really tough month. But this contest is top notch with a great venue.

Red Valley BBQ
06-22-2011, 10:31 PM
How's the judging situation? The wife and I would be willing to judge if you are still looking for judges. We are both CBJ's.

Ponderosa BBQ
06-22-2011, 11:55 PM
I would like to do it because it's a week before my sams club contest in Pittsburgh I might fly out there if I could round up some cookers,table,cooler...

Smokin Turkey
06-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks guys for talkin' us up! I personally feel we have a great venue for the scenery and the teams we bring in. I wanted to bring a comp to my area and just make a competition that people wanted to come to and have fun with the whole family and we are building on that this year with expanded kids area, bands, vendors, and stuff for the adults like beer and wine tasting, the lake cruises, and all that stuff.

As far as judges, we can always use judges! We need reliable judges who will commit to attending. I know last year we had 100% CBJ on our lists but the day came and some didn't show. (they will not be asked to attend again). Give Ed a call at 1-888-Raystown x-11 to get on the list.

:clap2:

Smokin Turkey
07-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Just checking in - Any other teams considering this one? We are up to 16 now with about 70 days out. We are cutting it off at 42 and plan to get close to it by the end of August.

Im only checking in as our next meeting for the comp is tomorrow and id like to get a report.

Anything you'd like me to answer or bring up at the meeting?

Really excited! We will be looking at the designs for the custom awards and making a decision on those also.

:thumb:

Slamdunkpro
07-10-2011, 08:10 PM
I'll know by the 25th whether my business conflict is resolved.

tmcmaster
07-11-2011, 09:04 AM
This is an awesome comp!!! And the scenery is like a screen saver!!!

Smokin Turkey
07-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I'll know by the 25th whether my business conflict is resolved.

I had no idea you were having a potential conflict! I really hope it works out. You were great having last year!! (loved the deep dish)

Slamdunkpro
07-11-2011, 06:28 PM
I had no idea you were having a potential conflict! I really hope it works out. You were great having last year!! (loved the deep dish)

Yeah, this came up recently. Pesky customers......:cool:

Red Valley BBQ
07-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I would like to do it because it's a week before my sams club contest in Pittsburgh I might fly out there if I could round up some cookers,table,cooler...

What kind of cooker are you looking for? I have an Oklahoma Joe stick burner I could loan you along with some basic necessities, ie: tables, ezup, etc. Essentially a basic comp setup.

Smokin Turkey
07-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Just cooked for the BBQ @ the Beach preview over at the visitors center. Was a decent turn out. Cooked a case of wings (just over 300) and they went in under an hour so there ya go! People here are excited and looking forward to a bigger and better year.

Red Valley BBQ
07-17-2011, 09:43 PM
As far as judges, we can always use judges! We need reliable judges who will commit to attending. I know last year we had 100% CBJ on our lists but the day came and some didn't show. (they will not be asked to attend again). Give Ed a call at 1-888-Raystown x-11 to get on the list.

Called and left a voicemail and also sent an email. Did Ed go on vacation and not tell anybody? :shock: Hope to hear from him soon, would like to plan a weekend getaway camping at the lake.

Smokin Turkey
07-18-2011, 12:52 PM
I can possibly help you with what you need. Also, I called his office and he is out until 8am tomorrow. He has been working on a bunch of events at the Lake and I know he needed some time off to recoup.

Smokin Turkey
07-18-2011, 01:02 PM
I just got a call from Ed. He has been in business meetings for his job Fri and today all over the state. He sends his apologies for not responding. If you have an email and or voice mail into him, he sail he will get back to you as soon as he gets back.

Thanks!

Smokin Turkey
07-19-2011, 07:54 AM
we now have 19 teams registered for BBQ @ The Beach 2011. As of today...

2011 TEAM LIST 7/18/2011:
Little Dickee Q, Stevens PA
Swamp Pit BBQ, Wantagh NY
2 Little Piggys BBQ, Levittown PA
Doans Bones Barbecue, McAlevy's Fort PA
Flavor File BBQ, Green Lane PA
PA Midnite Smokers, Willow Street PA
Lo -N- Slo BBQ, New Providence PA
Sun Of A Beach, Lewes DE
Big Dee's BBQ, Exton PA
Big Kev's BBQ, Kauneonga Lake NY
Slumpbuster BBQ, Hanover PA
Smokin' Koby's Hilltop BBQ, Temple PA
Eddie's BarBQ, Shippensburg PA
4:20 Q, Clear Spring MD
Smoke Screen, Downingtown PA
Appleway BBQ, Saint Thomas PA
HAWG Nation BBQ, Pheonixville PA
Wilburs Revenge, Collegeville PA
3 Eyz BBQ, Owings Mills MD

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:: clap2::clap2:

Slamdunkpro
07-19-2011, 09:57 AM
I thought PA Midnite Smoker had to drop out.

Smokin Turkey
07-19-2011, 11:41 AM
I thought PA Midnite Smoker had to drop out.

Not sure? This is the list I just received as of this morning from Ed. I know we have had some changes recently of teams who were coming, then werent, now are again. :roll:

Mike - CSBBBQ
07-19-2011, 03:31 PM
We got the entry at the banquet and will be back for sure! It is a great location :-D

Smokin Turkey
07-19-2011, 09:22 PM
We got the entry at the banquet and will be back for sure! It is a great location :-D

Kick @$$!! I have something for you. Could you give me a call this week? 814-506-1328. Thanks!

Smokin Turkey
07-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Just a reminder - the discounted rate for returning teams expires on July 30th so if you want to lock yourself into the lower rate, get your apps in now!

http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=sbfpzwcab&oeidk=a07e3b0zwq6987af245

New teams can use this link...

http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=sbfpzwcab&oeidk=a07e3etoxwbfd21c0f1

Thanks!

Smokin Turkey
07-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Another update - 22 teams are now locked in!

Updated list as of today...

2 Little Piggys BBQ, Levittown PA
3 Eyz BBQ, Owings Mills MD
4:20 Q, Clear Spring MD
Appleway BBQ, Saint Thomas PA
Big Dee's BBQ, Exton PA
Big Kev's BBQ, Kauneonga Lake NY
Chix, Swine & Bovine, Bbq., MD
Doans Bones Barbecue, McAlevy's Fort PA
Eddie's BarBQ, Shippensburg PA
Flavor File BBQ, Green Lane PA
G. Rickey & Co., State College PA
HAWG Nation BBQ, Phoenixville PA
Little Dickee Q, Stevens PA
Lo -N- Slo BBQ, New Providence PA
PA Midnite Smokers, Willow Street PA
Red Lion Spicy Foods, Red Lion PA
Slumpbuster BBQ, Hanover PA
Smoke Screen, Downingtown PA
Smokin' Koby's Hilltop BBQ, Temple PA
Sun Of A Beach, Lewes DE
Swamp Pit BBQ, Wantagh NY
Wilburs Revenge, Collegeville PA

Smokin Turkey
07-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Just a reminder - the discounted rate for returning teams expires on July 30th so if you want to lock yourself into the lower rate, get your apps in now!

http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=sbfpzwcab&oeidk=a07e3b0zwq6987af245

New teams can use this link...

http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=sbfpzwcab&oeidk=a07e3etoxwbfd21c0f1

Thanks!

CORRECTION : Friday July 29th is the last day to accept the discounted returning teams apps. Sorry!

HawgNationBBQ
07-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Looks like all the heavy hitters will be there. Should be fun!

Slamdunkpro
07-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Just registered!

Smokin Turkey
08-05-2011, 09:16 AM
43 days and 15 minutes till time to Q!!!

See the official count down until the event opens to the public ---> http://raystown.org/barbeque.html

Red Valley BBQ
08-07-2011, 08:06 PM
The wife and I are offially signed up as judges. What info can you give about camping in one of the surrounding campgrounds. It seems to be a first come first served situation according to the website. Is getting a camp site that time of year a problem, or is it pretty open because it's out of season?

Smokin Turkey
08-07-2011, 08:18 PM
It is a first come first serve at the public campgrounds but this time of year, you could easily get a spot. You can find out all the info about the sites at the following link - http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/Camping/seven_points_camp.htm
You then need to head over to the following link to place the reservation or take your chances on the 1st come 1st serve spots. - http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Seven_Points_Pa_Pa/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73398&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

If you have problems, please feel free to give Matt or Ed a call 888-Raystown for more info!

Smokin Turkey
08-16-2011, 05:09 PM
OPEN GRILLING RULES ARE NEARING FINAL DRAFT>> WILL BE POSTED HERE AS SOON AS THEY ARE COMPLETED!!

We are now 31 days out from the event!