PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Sandwich- Chopped or Sliced?

Trucky1008
05-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I started vending a few weeks back and so far things have gone well. It's a small venue which is fine since I'd rather take it slowly so I don't get overwhelmed. As part of my menu I serve a brisket sandwich. I've been slicing the brisket and then cutting the slices in thirds thinking it would be easier to pile on the bun. I find myself spending a lot of time trying to stack the pieces of brisket on the bun. I'm thinking there's got to be a better way, maybe serving it chopped.

If you vend brisket sandwiches are you serving it sliced or chopped? What do you feel are the advantages of serving chopped versus sliced? Also, I pre-cook my meat a day in advance and re-heat on site. How well does this work for chopped brisket? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jacked UP BBQ
05-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Chopped is the only way to go. Re heat with some broth covered tight and you will have a great product.

chachahut
05-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Agree with Jacked Up - chopped brisket sammies. Advantage is it looks WAY bigger for the same portion size.

Trucky1008
05-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback! Am I gonna need a cleaver to chop up brisket or can this be accomplished using a chef's knife?

Cook
05-06-2011, 10:22 AM
You can chop properly cooked pork and brisket with a knife. I use a cleaver, but that's just because I grew up with one. Either will work.

Trucky1008
05-06-2011, 10:38 AM
You can chop properly cooked pork and brisket with a knife. I use a cleaver, but that's just because I grew up with one. Either will work.

Thanks, I'll be chopping up some brisket today. I appreciate the feedback.

PorkQPine
05-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Chopped brisket or chopped beef? If it is chopped you might as well use a cheaper cut of meat and do chopped beef.

Paulie
05-06-2011, 04:15 PM
For what it's worth, as a consumer, I'd rather be getting sliced brisket when I order a brisket sandwich. If you're going to chop, use something cheaper and sell chopped or pulled beef as mentioned above.

Cook
05-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Beef isn't beef. Not all beef tastes like brisket.

When I've done "chopped brisket" in the past, I used select graded meat. Once chopped it was splashed with a little sauce for moisture and seasoning. Marketed as "BBQ Beef" it was a big seller.

Brisket worked fine for me...and was cheap.

BlueHowler
05-06-2011, 07:39 PM
For what it's worth, as a consumer, I'd rather be getting sliced brisket when I order a brisket sandwich. If you're going to chop, use something cheaper and sell chopped or pulled beef as mentioned above.

I feel the same way about brisket sandwiches. I want it to be sliced very thin not chopped. That said I have had some tasty chopped brisket sandwiches but I'd never serve one myself.

Learnin Querve
05-06-2011, 08:44 PM
My first question before ordering a brisket sandwich is "Is it sliced or chopped?" If it's chopped, I pass...

I think you're overthinking it with slicing it into thirds. fold it over and serve.

Chris

chachahut
05-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Curious as to why you prefer sliced over chopped brisket. We recently switched to chopping & have seen sales go up considerably. Could just be a bunch of yankees not knowing better.

HawgNationBBQ
05-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Always sliced.

chachahut
05-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Why always sliced, Michael?

Vince B
05-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Chopped or sliced I could really care less. I will agree with the reheating with some broth or steaming it so to speak. I don't know what it is but my brisket always seems dry when I reheat it. A few weeks ago I tried something new for reheating and it was awesome. I almost would have bet it was not my dry old brisket. For lunches I use a Tupperware style dish that has three sections. Its nice for reheating and keeping stuff separated. Well I decided after reading all this broth talk to try something new. I put a couple of splashes of water in the part of the container with the sliced/chopped brisket. Then reheated it in the microwave. I have to tell you it did something to my brisket that I was like....Damn that was good! The next time I make brisket at home for the family I think I'm going to use my steamer pot to warm it back up and see how it does!

Trucky1008
05-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I tried chopped for my vending gig today and it went fine, but I wasn't impressed. To be honest I really didn't chop it, it was more like cubed. For those of you that chop are you chopping it down to a shredded consistency like pulled pork, or is it more like cubed?

I think I'm going to do a combination of both chopped and sliced, chopped will go on the BBQ Nachos and sliced for the sammies. I appreciate all the feedback.

kurtsara
05-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I prefer sliced also, at least you can see that it is brisket

Bama Q
05-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Sliced, my hair might be gray.I still got teeth, I might go Chopped in a few Years

Learnin Querve
05-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Curious as to why you prefer sliced over chopped brisket. We recently switched to chopping & have seen sales go up considerably. Could just be a bunch of yankees not knowing better.

Two reasons: One is appearance. Opening a sandwich to lay on a pickle, or some thin sliced onion, or maybe a dab of sauce, and seeing those lovely slices satisfies the eye.

The other is texture. Chopped doesn't have the resistance or "bite through" for lack of a better term. Call it chew factor, mouth feel.

Ideally, IMO, a brisket sandwich is served with the brisket slices laid open face across 2 slices of white bread, with another single slice of bread on top and you eat it with a fork.

Chris

Dallas Dan
05-07-2011, 11:22 PM
When I home smoke and serve a brisket, I always slice the flat and chop the point.

Dr_KY
05-08-2011, 03:43 AM
Sliced here.Two sliced cut in half on a five inch bun.

chachahut
05-08-2011, 10:07 AM
When I home smoke and serve a brisket, I always slice the flat and chop the point.

This is what I do as well & perhaps that's the difference in my sammie.

I use the flat for plates & by the pound orders. I use the point for sammies.

TheMidnightSmoker
05-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Personally I like the look of a chopped Brisket sandwich over a sliced any day.

OL' Timer
05-18-2011, 04:53 PM
I vend 2 to 4 full packers a weekend and sliced is the way to go. Tried chopped points and no one liked it. I keep mine in a steamer like the deli's use, but instead of water for steam I use Aujus. Some people like the point and some like the flats. It don't take long to slice it and I slice 1/4" thick.

Little Bob's BBQ
05-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Always slice brisket. I have used both sliced and chopped. I always have chopped left over, and sellout of sliced brisket.

that's hot
05-18-2011, 07:35 PM
i prefer sliced

M

bloqbeta
05-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Sliced, reheated with reduced au jus

jbrink01
05-26-2011, 10:31 PM
We vend 24+ packers a weekend. Slice the flats and seperate the points. The points get tossed back in the pit and chopped for burnt ends at the end of the day.

Cook
05-27-2011, 05:44 PM
I tried chopped for my vending gig today and it went fine, but I wasn't impressed. To be honest I really didn't chop it, it was more like cubed. For those of you that chop are you chopping it down to a shredded consistency like pulled pork, or is it more like cubed?

To properly chop brisket you need to over cook it. When you do it'll fall into strands like pork. Also, don't trim the fat before cooking. You'll need to finely chop some of that in with the brisket for moisture (and great flavor).

I would be much more concerned about sales than you being impressed. As long as it sells it doesn't matter what we (as businesspeople) like. If it doesn't sell, pull it. If it sells, keep selling.

landarc
05-27-2011, 06:05 PM
I have had and enjoyed both. I tend to serve sliced, but, I do like chopped for the different texture. When I have bought from vendors, the guys chopping have had less tasty brisket. That being said, there are parts of the country where chopped brisket is the norm.

BBQ Grail
05-27-2011, 06:11 PM
I want my brisket sliced. I don't care if it's on a sandwich or on a plate. It's got to be sliced. The texture, IMO, is better when sliced.

SLICE IT! And messy is okay, it's a BBQ sandwich after all.

Bigmista
05-31-2011, 05:55 PM
We vend 24+ packers a weekend. Slice the flats and seperate the points. The points get tossed back in the pit and chopped for burnt ends at the end of the day.

I wanna grow up to cook like you!

Bbq Bubba
05-31-2011, 08:27 PM
I personally think your doing an injustice to a piece of meat you just spent hours trimming, rubbing and smoking to perfection.

Anybody can overcook & shred brisket :tsk:

chachahut
06-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Anybody can overcook & shred brisket :tsk:

Not sure if you're referring to me or not, but I never said anything about shredding any brisket.

As a professional cook - you surely know the difference between shredding & chopping right?

Bbq Bubba
06-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Chopped is the only way to go. Re heat with some broth covered tight and you will have a great product.

Vending Master mod.:-D

Not sure if you're referring to me or not, but I never said anything about shredding any brisket.

As a professional cook - you surely know the difference between shredding & chopping right?

Not you Frank, just my opinion. :thumb:

I also slice for plates and use the point for sammies but its more of a sliced product, still has the presentation of being sliced and not the mushy feel of chopped.
Now i will say if i was vending chopped is definetly the way to go as far as labor and food cost.

chachahut
06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I also slice for plates and use the point for sammies but its more of a sliced product, still has the presentation of being sliced and not the mushy feel of chopped.

Same for me. slice the point for sammies with a couple quick chops to make the point pieces a bit smaller. I also use what I call "sandwich flat" when the flat slices are too small.

On another note - I've never had thin sliced brisket that did not taste like roast beef & I've never had brisket that tasted like brisket that one could slice thin.

Perhaps as a Yankee I just don't know chit about brisket.

WeberMan317
06-01-2011, 10:47 PM
I prefer sliced brisket but that's just me. But if it is good, I'll eat it both ways :)

Dillo_Duster
06-03-2011, 01:43 AM

I feel the same way. The BBQ place I most frequent offers both chopped and sliced. I know another place that is also pretty good that uses sliced.