PDA

View Full Version : Competition Tool Rack

Southern Home Boy
05-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Last weekend I did something new: I organized my tools...:shock:

I had been trying to think of a way to do this at a comp and not take up table or floor space.

All I have a 10X20 canopy with no walls and no overhang.

I have a 3X6 vinyl banner that has my team logo that I usually hang from bungee cords from the roof cross member and two legs.

But then I saw some concrete reinforcer grid (sorry... I don't know what you actually call it) and came up with this idea:
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/southernhomeboy/2011%20competitions/Cookoffkickoff2011004.jpg
I steched my banner around it, attached it with some black zip ties and duct tape then hung the whole thing from the cross beam. Then I zip tied two magnetic knife holders to the grid and used "S" hooks for holding my other tools.

Here's how it looked from the front:
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/southernhomeboy/2011%20competitions/Cookoffkickoff2011003-1.jpg

It worked AWESOME!

This may not be a new idea, but it was to me and it worked so well I thought I'd toss it out there in case somebody else might want to try it.

AZScott
05-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Great idea! I'm going to have to copy that idea.

BearCat
05-03-2011, 03:41 PM
I like it, I think I will get mine together before it gets a patent and costs $69.95

roksmith
05-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Ooooh. Don't trip and fall into that wall :wacko:
Somebody from my group would surely have a finger missing after tumbling into that!
Nice idea though.. we keep our sharp stuff closed up in a drawer... bunch 'a klutzes :)

mcbrew13
05-03-2011, 04:21 PM
But then I saw some concrete reinforcer grid (sorry... I don't know what you actually call it)

It is called welded wire fabric (or WWF) if anyone wants to know. I like the idea. May come in handy. On second thought...That thing would have been whipping tools everywhere with the wind we had in Loveland last weekend. Maybe better for calm days. Thanks.

SmokinGuitarPlayer
05-03-2011, 06:10 PM
lOOKIN gOOD!

big brother smoke
05-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Very ingenious. My only concern would be the wind that seems to happen quite often at comps. Or some drunken fool...

The Pigman
05-03-2011, 07:36 PM
It looks good nice idea but i would be concerned if it was to rain your top does cover it it doesent come to edge of framework so all would get the water off top

ModelMaker
05-03-2011, 07:52 PM
You always see and hear of teams canopys taking flight during a wind gust.
Now that there thing would be mighty scary airborne across the cooks areas!!
Ed

Muzzlebrake
05-03-2011, 08:22 PM
I would at least go with pointy ends down.......(been known to be one or two of those drunken fools around our tent late at night)

Southern Home Boy
05-04-2011, 12:28 AM
It is called welded wire fabric (or WWF) if anyone wants to know. I like the idea. May come in handy. On second thought...That thing would have been whipping tools everywhere with the wind we had in Loveland last weekend. Maybe better for calm days. Thanks.

We had some pretty strong winds on Saturday and while it flapped around a bit, I didn't lose anything except a church key. The magnets are pretty strong and the WWF (thanks for that by the way) is anchored all across the top and (in this case anyway) to at least one leg.

I will admit though that our canopy was VERY solidly anchored on that end. The support legs were actually driven into the soil in the island about six inches so that the canopy itself was level. You can see here how windy it was by the flags and the table skirt:

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/southernhomeboy/2011%20competitions/Cookoffkickoff2011003-1-1.jpg

But your points are well taken. It would have been a pain if it'd been raining and if the wind was any stronger, I'm sure a few of the larger, heavier knives like the cleaver would have hit the deck.

I've got a different canopy cover and walls on my Father's Day list.:-D

Crash
05-04-2011, 03:59 AM
Great idea, thanks for sharing. Guaranteed you'll be seeing this suggestion being used at future competitions.