PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment People's Choice Rib Cook Off - Hickville, NY - September 17th, 2011

Pages : [1] 2

Anchors Smokeshop
05-01-2011, 11:56 AM
The Hicksville Fire Department is holding it's first annual Rib Cook Off and 1950's Car Show on Saturday, September 17th, 2011 at the Hicksville Fire House Station 3 on West John Street in Hicksville, LI, NY.
The entry fee is $100 per team and each team will be provided 2 cases of pork spareribs, ice, water, electricity and a 20' x 20' site in the parking lot.
Teams may arrive to setup on Friday night after 7:00PM or Saturday morning at 6:00AM.
Ribs will be provided to each team by 7:00AM.
The Buck-A-Bone Rib Cookoff will be from 1:00PM to 4:00PM with an award ceremony at 5:00PM.
The Buck-A-Bone Rib Cookoff will be the same format as the one at the Battle of the BBQ Brethren in Holtsville last year where the public will buy tickets for $5 and receive 5 tasting tickets and 1 voting ticket. The team with the most voting tickets wins.
Trophies and $1000 worth of prizes will be awarded to the top 5 teams.

An ancillary grilling event is also being discussed for this event and I am open to any and all ideas.

A website is currently being developed for this event, but if you have any questions, feel free to send me a private message or email me at thesmokenbarrel@gmail.com if you have any questions.

A flyer, application and mailing address will also be added in the near future.

Sawdustguy
05-01-2011, 04:32 PM
The Hicksville Fire Department is holding it's first annual Rib Cook Off and 1950's Car Show on Saturday, September 17th, 2011 at the Hicksville Fire House Station 3 on West John Street in Hicksville, LI, NY.
The entry fee is $100 per team and each team will be provided 2 cases of pork spareribs, ice, water, electricity and a 20' x 20' site in the parking lot.
Teams may arrive to setup on Friday night after 7:00PM or Saturday morning at 6:00AM.
The Buck-A-Bone Rib Cookoff will be from 1:00PM to 4:00PM with an award ceremony at 5:00PM.
The Buck-A-Bone Rib Cookoff will be the same format as the one at the Battle of the BBQ Brethren in Holtsville last year where the public will buy tickets for $5 and receive 5 tasting tickets and 1 voting ticket. The team with the most voting tickets wins.

An ancillary grilling event is also being discussed for this event and I am open to any and all ideas.

A website is currently being developed for this event, but if you have any questions, feel free to send me a private message or email me at thesmokenbarrel@gmail.com if you have any questions.

A flyer, application and mailing address will also be added in the near future.

We just may do this contest for chits and giggles. I used to be a Hicksville Firemen in Engine Company 7 many moons ago. Sounds like a fun one day event being most of our family lives in Hicksville.

HolySmoke
05-01-2011, 06:06 PM
looks great, grew up down the road in Levittown what a good time to be had!!!

speedrcer1
05-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Any judged portion?

Anchors Smokeshop
05-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Any judged portion?

Not for the rib cook-off. If there's a grilling contest the members of the firehouse will most likely judge.
I think it is time for you to form your own team and compete in this event.

speedrcer1
05-01-2011, 08:47 PM
After my ribs won me $1,700 in a poorly judged entry yesterday, you want me in?:becky:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105506

Maybe. Sounds like fun. Easy to do.

Anchors Smokeshop
05-01-2011, 08:57 PM
After my ribs won me $1,700 in a poorly judged entry yesterday, you want me in?:becky:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105506

Maybe. Sounds like fun. Easy to do.

You may have good negotiating skills, but do you have good rib cooking skills? Come and prove it!

Anchors Smokeshop
05-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Anyone have any interest in this event? I know its early but I'm trying to get a gauge on teams interest.

trohrs123
05-02-2011, 12:47 PM
interested!!

scm1226
05-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Count on us as well.

motoeric
05-02-2011, 04:54 PM
The Grill Scouts are interested.

rbsnwngs
05-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Queer eye is in

tugbone
05-03-2011, 12:29 PM
grillbillies might be in for this

Anchors Smokeshop
05-07-2011, 10:16 AM
I have attached the flyer for the event as well as a registration form.
I am also working on putting together a cooks information packet with all of the event information and will post that soon.

Let me know what you think of the flyer and send me your feedback.

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
05-07-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't think using copyrighted characters/catchphrases to promote something ever worked out well for anyone...just my $.02

Anchors Smokeshop
05-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't think using copyrighted characters/catchphrases to promote something ever worked out well for anyone...just my $.02

What are the copyrighted characters/catchphrases?

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
05-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Porky Pig/"That's All Folks"

speedrcer1
05-08-2011, 08:55 PM
This sounds like it could be a fun, local, low key comp.
Sounds like a good time.
We are interested.
Team Pit Stop BBQ getting dusted off?

motoeric
05-27-2011, 10:28 PM
James, any news on this? Sounds like fun!

Eric

Anchors Smokeshop
05-28-2011, 03:46 PM
James, any news on this? Sounds like fun!

Eric

This event is definitely still on!
There hasn't been much thread activity. I'm guessing because it is quite a bit away.
Get those applications in!

Smokenstein & monster crew
06-20-2011, 06:45 PM
The documents are not working for me.......little help ??

Mat
06-22-2011, 07:47 PM
considering I grew up in hicksville for 27 years and now patrol hicksville (south of OCR), I'm definitely in.

Anchors Smokeshop
06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Try one of the new attached files.

DragonZim
06-24-2011, 01:45 PM
A buddy of mine and myself are forming a team and are looking forward to this being our very first competition!

Are they going to be full sized spare ribs or baby backs?

06-24-2011, 06:35 PM
A buddy of mine and myself are forming a team and are looking forward to this being our very first competition!

This looks like a good first comp, entry fee and all &
one thing to cook................good luck

see ya there

Anchors Smokeshop
06-24-2011, 08:12 PM

I'm not positive, but I will find out and get back to you.

DragonZim
07-05-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm not positive, but I will find out and get back to you.

Any word on this?

Thanks!

Anchors Smokeshop
07-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Any word on this?

Thanks!

I haven't gotten an answer yet because it will probably come down to what the vendor has a surplus of when it get's close to the event.
I'm willing to bet that they will be St Louis style spare ribs though.
Once I have a definitive answer, I will let you know.

Anchors Smokeshop
07-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Has anyone sent in their application yet?
Let's get 'er done!!!

Mat
07-05-2011, 07:56 PM
hey bud,

so the ribs will be supplied to us? how many rack will we have to make? since its a public voting event will the amount be a lot? because if you run out you wont get any more votes.

I'm going to send my app in. Are you guys going to wait to cash the checks until we get closer to the event?

motoeric
07-05-2011, 10:14 PM
I think that you will be getting a bunch of local teams jumping on board after the Battle of the BBQ Brethren.

Eric

Anchors Smokeshop
07-06-2011, 11:24 AM
hey bud,

so the ribs will be supplied to us? how many rack will we have to make? since its a public voting event will the amount be a lot? because if you run out you wont get any more votes.

I'm going to send my app in. Are you guys going to wait to cash the checks until we get closer to the event?

The Hicksville FD is going to provide each team with 2 cases of ribs. There are 12 racks of ribs in each case, so every team will have 24 racks of ribs.
As far as cashing your check, i'm not sure, but i will find out and get back to you.

Anchors Smokeshop
07-06-2011, 11:31 AM
I think that you will be getting a bunch of local teams jumping on board after the Battle of the BBQ Brethren.

Eric

I agree. Some of the members of the Hicksville FD will be at BOTB introducing themselves to all of the teams, handing out flyers, answering questions and trying to boost teams enrollment in this event.

DragonZim
07-06-2011, 05:06 PM
My application went out today!

07-06-2011, 08:44 PM
My application went out today!
good luck

DragonZim
07-07-2011, 11:10 AM
good luck

Thanks! My buddy and I will be there as team EZCue. We were considering Bad Back BBQ since we've both had back surgeries, but liked EZCue better as it is our initials.

07-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks! My buddy and I will be there as team EZCue. We were considering Bad Back BBQ since we've both had back surgeries, but liked EZCue better as it is our initials.

I will be there, have not sent app in...will be at the battle of the brethren are you attending that ? to have a look at what goes on ?

I like the bad back bbq....

Smokin' Aces
07-08-2011, 04:03 PM
sending out my app on monday

Mat
07-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I need to get another smoker to be able to enter

Sent from my DROIDX

Anchors Smokeshop
08-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Just wanted to resurrect this thread and let everyone know that a few of the firefighters from the Hicksville FD will be at BOTBB this Saturday going around to each of the teams to introduce themselves and drum up some interest in this event.

Anchors Smokeshop
08-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Did most of you get to meet a few of the Hicksville firemen at BOTB this past weekend?
They told me that there are a lot of intetested teams looking to enter, so if you haven't sent in your app yet, do it soon.
We are limiting this event to 15 teams and we have about 10 already so don't wait.

Joe Zukes
08-09-2011, 08:58 AM
This looks like a great event, could be a blast. Met a couple of the Hicksville firemen at the BOTB over the weekend, seemed like real cool folks.

SmokeInDaEye
08-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Sounds like an awesome time! I'm flying to Chicago and driving to Wisconsin this weekend but wish I could do it. Good smoking luck!

scm1226
08-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Who signed up? Smokin Irish will be there. Does anyone know what the.prizes will be?

tugbone
08-11-2011, 02:07 PM
James app mailed out today Babylon Grillbillies will be there.

NS Mike D
08-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Going to take a try at our first comp,
sent in the app today

we're going to go with the name: Mike's Backyard

which pretty much sums it up

SmokeInDaEye
08-12-2011, 12:11 PM
For some reason I thought the contest was this weekend and not a month from now. I might do this one for fun.

08-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Going to take a try at our first comp,
sent in the app today

we're going to go with the name: Mike's Backyard

which pretty much sums it up
Easy first contest... ITS PEOPLES CHOICE, not kcbs judging
so pretty easy squeezy.....so enjoy, though a case and a half is a whole lotta ribs to be made in a short time............:becky:

08-12-2011, 02:24 PM
For some reason I thought the contest was this weekend and not a month from now. I might do this one for fun.

That would be cool, We are doing it for the fun...PEOPLES CHOICE
one day, quick set up clean up, boom..
WE ARE IN, CHECK & APP SENT,
clint if your in, send it in...not to many spots left supposively

NS Mike D
08-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Easy first contest... ITS PEOPLES CHOICE, not kcbs judging
so pretty easy squeezy.....so enjoy, though a case and a half is a whole lotta ribs to be made in a short time............:becky:

yup, a man's gotta know his limitations.

(just figuring out if that many ribs are within a wsm, a brinkiman vertical and a webber kettle limitations)

08-13-2011, 10:55 AM
i am not sure, i cook on a 55 gallon drum smoker...
you may need rib racks and cook them vertical...
i am somebeody will chime in on how many, i dont use wsm's

tugbone
08-15-2011, 07:14 AM
We get 6 rack flat on a wsm at comps but we wrap some bricks in foil
and put another grill grate down in the middle works pretty good just need some extra hands to move stuff around and some good hot gloves.

yup, a man's gotta know his limitations.

(just figuring out if that many ribs are within a wsm, a brinkiman vertical and a webber kettle limitations)

Mat
08-16-2011, 07:25 PM
sending in my application tomorrow.

Entering as Deja Que.

08-18-2011, 09:29 AM
do we have a team count ?
list of names ?

Mat
08-18-2011, 10:07 AM
yea i'd like to know a little more about the contest. I see it starts at 10am, what time are we arriving for setup? What time we starting to cook? Will electric outlets be at each site or will we have to run extensive extension cords? Same question for water? What type of ribs? How many racks? What required equipment to we need? I know we're at a firehouse, but fire extinguisher minimum size?

Any other questions I'm leaving out?

SmokeInDaEye
08-18-2011, 10:50 AM
I won't be able to cook this one due to my crazy schedule but may come out or lend a hand if anyone needs one.

08-18-2011, 02:28 PM
yea i'd like to know a little more about the contest. I see it starts at 10am, what time are we arriving for setup? What time we starting to cook? Will electric outlets be at each site or will we have to run extensive extension cords? Same question for water? What type of ribs? How many racks? What required equipment to we need? I know we're at a firehouse, but fire extinguisher minimum size?

Any other questions I'm leaving out?

I think your over thinking it, or i could be wrong ???
...its early morning set up (i heard 7 am), bring a 3 gallon jug of water with spicket(there all the water you need for the day, small generator if you need electric (could probably do contest without power(during day & keep it to minumum. It was stated earlier ( i think) there providing a case and a half of ribs, need a smoker or big bbq ( thats a lot of ribbies to cook, lots of rub & sauce.......wham bam get the ribs on HAVE FUN

NS Mike D
08-18-2011, 02:42 PM
The Hicksville FD is going to provide each team with 2 cases of ribs. There are 12 racks of ribs in each case, so every team will have 24 racks of ribs.
As far as cashing your check, i'm not sure, but i will find out and get back to you.

answer about the ribs

Mat
08-18-2011, 04:44 PM
I think your over thinking it, or i could be wrong ???
...its early morning set up (i heard 7 am), bring a 3 gallon jug of water with spicket(there all the water you need for the day, small generator if you need electric (could probably do contest without power(during day & keep it to minumum. It was stated earlier ( i think) there providing a case and a half of ribs, need a smoker or big bbq ( thats a lot of ribbies to cook, lots of rub & sauce.......wham bam get the ribs on HAVE FUN

Its mentioned im the application water and electric. I don't have a need for electric really but would be nice to have my a radio.

Plus start time says 10am. That mean people are gonna want ribs around 11?

Not overthinking just trying to get info so I can plan accordingly. I mean don't your ribs take 4-5 hours?

Thanks NS, thought he never answered me.

Sent from my DROIDX

Sledneck
08-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Will the fire dept themselves be competing?

boogiesnap
08-18-2011, 05:59 PM
did i miss the prize pool?

is it full?

i could be up for another rigamarol.

scm1226
08-19-2011, 06:37 AM
Speaking to the guys at the firehouse (through email). Doesn't seem like there will be $$$ as a prize. But they have got some good prizes that include items like Wsm, ez up canopies, thermopens, coolers, all things that would be utilized during competitions . And of course trophies and things. I did ask for a team list and was not provided one, think he read over that question.

Anchors Smokeshop
08-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Sorry guys, I haven't been on the forum for a few days and I haven't spoken to the guys from the firehouse since Manorville either, so I will do my best to answer most of your questions and will get the rest of the answers this weekend.
This is from my original post:
The entry fee is $100 per team and each team will be provided 2 cases of pork spareribs, ice, water, electricity and a 20' x 20' site in the parking lot. (2 cases if 15 teams, 1 1/2 cases if 20 teams).

The ribs will be spare ribs.
Electric and water will be provided, but please bring 100' of garden hose and extension cord.
Requirements are bleach, fire extinguisher (any size), gloves (latex/nylon) for serving ribs to public.
The people's choice begins at 1pm, ribs are provided at 7am, which gives teams 6 hours to prep and cook the ribs.
The fire department will NOT be competing. The only teams that are competing are brethren teams from this forum.
There are no cash prizes, but there will be items and trophies for the top 5 teams.

I am going away this weekend and I will speak to the FD guys on Monday and get back to all of you with the current team list.
Please let me know if you have any other questions that I need to speak to them about.

motoeric
08-19-2011, 12:48 PM
I am going away this weekend and I will speak to the FD guys on Monday and get back to all of you with the current team list.
Please let me know if you have any other questions that I need to speak to them about.

James,

Please check your email.

Eric

Smokin' Aces
08-22-2011, 09:25 AM
are you still excepting entries

Anchors Smokeshop
08-22-2011, 04:08 PM
I spoke to the Hicksville FD today and here's an update:
They have received payment from about 10 teams. They are going to email me a list of the confirmed teams tonight and I will post it tomorrow.
They are also working on a judged event where each team will turn in one rib to be judged and scored to determine a non-people's choice winner.

If you are still interested, get your applications in soon. We would like to hold this to 15 teams, but will go up to 20 teams if we still have teams that want to compete.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

08-22-2011, 08:35 PM
wonder whose the 10????????

Mat
08-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Mailed my check monday

Sent from my DROIDX

tugbone
08-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Anyone get some sort of conformation, sent app in still no
word on this yet.

Mat
08-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Nope. Nothing yet.

Sent from my DROIDX

scm1226
08-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Is this thing On???
Part of me wants to cancel the check and pull out of this.

Does anyone have a team list?

Joe Zukes
08-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Is it just me, or is anyone nor receiving any response to emails for this event?

Sledneck
08-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Maybe he has no power or maybe he is an idiot. I'm going with choice two

tugbone
08-30-2011, 10:54 AM
lol we still have heard nothing also is this still going to happen.

Joe Zukes
08-30-2011, 12:50 PM
No power today I can maybe understand, but I sent emails in 10 days ago.
Shame, this looked like a cool deal for sure.

Sledneck
08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Shake n bake!!!

Mat
08-31-2011, 04:17 AM
Im two days from stopping payment on the check. I felt this way before and asked a lot of questions. One being when would the check be cashed. Was anyones check cashed?

Sent from my DROIDX

tugbone
08-31-2011, 07:02 AM
anyone hear from james on this.

Smokin' Aces
08-31-2011, 08:13 AM
i have been trying to contact him via facebook and have not recieved anything back yet either

motoeric
08-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Here is the phone # for the Chief, who I was told was the right person to call. Unfortunately, it's pretty late, so I just his machine.

I'm still out of power, meaning no phone or internet. If someone could give them a call tomorrow, it would be appreciated.

I'd like to sign up if this is actually happening.

516 933 6445 ext. 101

Eric

tugbone
09-01-2011, 06:41 AM
Got a email from james he said this is still on and will be posting the teams
list friday.

Joe Zukes
09-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Heard from one of the guys last night. Seems like a go.

Anchors Smokeshop
09-01-2011, 12:13 PM
I apologize for any frustration that you may be feeling but i can assure you this event is still on.
I am also getting frustrated with the FD because i am waiting for them to email me the list of teams that paid. I will make ANOTHER phone call to them today and press them for the list and post it here as soon as i have it.

Anchors Smokeshop
09-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Maybe he has no power or maybe he is an idiot. I'm going with choice two

Good choice!

scm1226
09-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Good to hear. thanks James.

Smokin' Aces
09-02-2011, 09:03 AM
my **** just went into the mail yesterday they should hav eit today

scm1226
09-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Google the cook off and there is other websites that says it's on September 24th. Anyone know how many ribs we are going to be cooking? Any word on the teams? There is no advertising for this event. When I google it it says the wrong date.

Very frustrating.

Mat
09-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Im going to back out. I would be taking 3 days off work for this because I work midnights.

Doesn't seem to be a seriously run event and I don't want to get turned off to contests by entering the wrong first event.

PM sent about cancelling check.

Sent from my DROIDX

motoeric
09-05-2011, 06:16 PM
I just spoke to one of the organizers (Sal). He was responding to my email.

They seem very eager, but very new. I think that they may be a bit overwhelmed, but it seems that they have their ducks in a row.

As James had mentioned, there's going to be a judged aspect to the contest utilizing the ribs they give us. They will be using regular BBQ judges, not celebrities or the public.

They are looking to build this into a full blown KCBS style event for next year, so I'm looking forward to supporting their efforts as much as possible. It'd be great to have another full event that's local.

I'm not sure about the date confusion, but I'm confident that it's the 17th.

I'm looking forward to the event and I hope to see everyone there.

Eric

09-05-2011, 07:14 PM
just got back from long vacation,
missed irene's cluster**** to read all the posts about this cluster****
hope it gets someone who wants to steer the ship, because we are all about to bail
& the FD will sit there with an empty lot, with lots of raw ribbies
smokenstein has spoken, want to go back on vaca & miss this mess

Skip
09-05-2011, 07:45 PM
I met the guys at Manorville. It seems they have what they need just don't understand the dyer need to keep in touch with those doing the cook. I begged and pleaded with them to join the site. When they told me they had James doing it I told them they better do it themselves not because James can't but because the cooks would want to hear from them. When asked what was the most important thing to do i said they needed to be involved and stay in tune and contact with the cooks. They were told by myself and many more. I think they are for real and are a little overwhelmed but aren't on here listening to know they are overwhelmed and dropping the ball.

Mat
09-05-2011, 09:26 PM
I just can't commit to taking the needed time off to participate in something I have a bad feeling about. Im sure it will work out just fine and all will have a good time. I sent in the check in good faith but being in the dark is something that irks me.

I just need to save the days for things like my honeymoon. I just hope they do the right thing and either mail the check back ir let me come get it.

Good luck to those that enter. Maybe ill swing by before work.

Mat

Sent from my DROIDX

Anchors Smokeshop
09-06-2011, 05:24 AM
Guys, don't bail! This event is still on and will be a good time.
I'll admit, I was tasked with steering this ship and haven't done a great job. I've been swamped with work, school and life.
The fireman that has the list of paid teams is also an electrician and he has been swamped with work since the hurricane.
I spoke to the guy twice over the weekend and he told me he would email me the list, but he hasn't.
I will call him again today and tell him that if I don't get a list today, we're all bailing.
But for now, sit tight. The event is the 17th, not the 24th.

Anchors Smokeshop
09-06-2011, 05:46 AM
After writing my last post I went through my email and found that they sent me the list of paid teams.
Here they are:
The Smoke 'N Barrel
EZ Que
Smokenstein & the Monster Crew
Babylon Grillbillies
Smoking Irish
Mikes Backyard
Deja Que

Smokin Aces and The Grill Scouts are also in but haven't paid yet.
That brings the team count to 9 (if no one bails).
In the beginning of this thread the following teams showed interest. It would be nice if we could get a few more teams and get the count to 15.
Where are:
Two Fat Polocks
Out of the Ashes
T'N'T
Queer Eye
Smokers Lounge
Smoke In Da Eye
Swamp Pit
R2-BQ
Blazzin Butts
Chubby Hubby
Rx-ellent Q
Big Barry Q
and the rest of the LI brethren teams?

tugbone
09-06-2011, 07:21 AM
sweet

scm1226
09-06-2011, 10:20 AM
The big thing is the amount of racks we are cooking. We run off WSM's UDS and kettles. If we need to break out the ole gasser to fit the racks let us know(We hate to do that).
Just trying to be prepared with all the accessories that go with making ribs as well. RUBS, sauce, glaze, how much Jameson are we suppossed to bring, you know the important stuff. (Jameson is not an spice on our ribs it is a MUST HAVE for the cooks!!)

Sawdustguy
09-06-2011, 11:57 AM
After writing my last post I went through my email and found that they sent me the list of paid teams.
Here they are:
The Smoke 'N Barrel
EZ Que
Babylon Grillbillies
Smoking Irish
Mikes Backyard
Deja Que

In the beginning of this thread the following teams showed interest. It would be nice if we could get a few more teams and get the count to 15.
Where are:
Two Fat Polocks
Out of the Ashes
T'N'T
Queer Eye
Smokers Lounge
Smoke In Da Eye
Swamp Pit
R2-BQ
Blazzin Butts
Chubby Hubby
Rx-ellent Q
Big Barry Q

Two Fat Polocks Have Paid.

Sledneck
09-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Here they are:
The Smoke 'N Barrel
EZ Que
Babylon Grillbillies
Smoking Irish
Mikes Backyard
Deja Que

Where are:
Two Fat Polocks
Out of the Ashes
T'N'T
Queer Eye
Smokers Lounge
Smoke In Da Eye
Swamp Pit
R2-BQ
Blazzin Butts
Chubby Hubby
Rx-ellent Q
Big Barry Q
r2-BQ def out. I really have no interest in doing it.Besides the following weekend I'm doing demos at blues view and BBQ in Westport(shameless plug)

BBQ-brethren.com brothers in smoke team not listed above. Phil said he really wants to do this but with his big fancy trailer would draw to much of the public giving him and unfair advantage

Smokeindaeye said that not enough media coverage for him to do it

Blazin butts said since its not a grilling contest he won't do it

Queer eye can't do it cause Freds eye only points to mineola not Hicksville

Westexbbq
09-06-2011, 12:49 PM
AND Ma's Que Crew didn't even make the no-show list!!!

motoeric
09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi,

I just got a phone call from Greg at the FD in response to my email last Friday.

So, that's two responses to 1 email in the past two days from two different members of the FD. It seems that if they weren't totally on the ball up till now, that may have changed.

They seem very eager to have the event run properly and to address any issues that teams may have.

I'm looking forward to a good event and having it be something that can be built upon for the future.

Eric

Mat
09-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I know im in the paid list but im definitely out. Deja Que

Sorry man. Got an email that someone was calling today at some point and hour ago

Sent from my DROIDX

BlazinSS934
09-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Guys how's it going this is Sal from hose co 4 in Hicksville, we are organizing the event.. If you have any questions please email us at co4cookoff@optonline.net

As of 7 pm 9/6 teams paid and registered

Smoking barrel
EZ que
Smokenstein and monster
Babylon grillbillies
Smokin Irish
Mikes backyard
2 fat pollacks
Smoking aces

Grill scouts still waiting for your app
TreeCue boys are interested

If you have registered please email us so we have a record of your email address some forms came back without email address

BlazinSS934
09-06-2011, 06:31 PM
We still have room for teams we would like to get the teams finalized. We met a bunch of teams at the Manorville event and many expressed an interest in a judge portion. We are going to have a rib turn in and it will be judged. We will contact all all registered teams a week before the event to answer any last minute questions and to go over the logistics for the event.

motoeric
09-06-2011, 07:16 PM
The app was in today's mail.

Looking forward to this!

Eric
for the Grill Scouts

Anchors Smokeshop
09-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Guys how's it going this is Sal from hose co 4 in Hicksville, we are organizing the event.. If you have any questions please email us at co4cookoff@optonline.net

As of 7 pm 9/6 teams paid and registered

Smoking barrel
EZ que
Smokenstein and monster
Babylon grillbillies
Smokin Irish
Mikes backyard
2 fat pollacks
Smoking aces

Grill scouts still waiting for your app
TreeCue boys are interested

If you have registered please email us so we have a record of your email address some forms came back without email address

Hey Sal, I'm happy you joined!

BlazinSS934
09-07-2011, 12:57 PM
James

I have been a lurker on the Bretheren for a long time

Sal

SmokeInDaEye
09-07-2011, 01:06 PM
I unfortunately have a boy scout campout that day/night and need to also load the trailer for Seaside Heights the following weekend so I'm out. Good luck to all!

NS Mike D
09-07-2011, 04:57 PM
I unfortunately have a boy scout campout that day/night and need to also load the trailer for Seaside Heights the following weekend so I'm out. Good luck to all!

Enjoy the campout, I have two sons in Troop 113 in Centerport and our nephew made Eagle two weeks ago.

trohrs123
09-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Is there a deadline for the application...would like to participate but have to finalize work schedule changes

BlazinSS934
09-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Just spoke with chuck from TreeCue boys they are in as well

In regards to quantity of ribs we are shooting for a case and a half per team

BlazinSS934
09-07-2011, 09:00 PM
The deadline was the 5th but we still have openings the more the merrier

Anchors Smokeshop
09-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Are any of the teams going there to set up and stay over on Friday night?

Mornin' Wood
09-08-2011, 08:26 AM
First time, looking forward to it. Figuring I can grill a rack on my hibachi every 22 minutes or so...so I should get a case and a half or ribs done just in time. I was thinking a teriyaki-hoisin glaze. If you don't think that'll work, maybe i need to hit the library and read up on this BBQ stuff.

-Chuck

P.S. Probably not staying overnight.

Smokin' Aces
09-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Are any of the teams going there to set up and stay over on Friday night?

we may be staying over friday night but deff coming to drop of my equipment

BlazinSS934
09-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Anybody who is looking to set up Friday night and or do an over nighter please drop me an email at co4cookoff@optonline.net i would need to know approximately what time you will be arriving so we have security meet u there to show u where to park

All registered teams should look for an email from us on 9/12 Monday if u don't receive anything please email us we will be discussion the rib/voting tickets directions timeline for day etc

Sal

Mornin' Wood
09-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Sounds good, Sal. BTW, check went out this morning.

Chuck

Anchors Smokeshop
09-08-2011, 11:47 AM
First time, looking forward to it. Figuring I can grill a rack on my hibachi every 22 minutes or so...so I should get a case and a half or ribs done just in time. I was thinking a teriyaki-hoisin glaze. If you don't think that'll work, maybe i need to hit the library and read up on this BBQ stuff.

-Chuck

P.S. Probably not staying overnight.

Chuck, welcome to the club!
My suggestion would be to stick with a traditional bbq sauce. But then again, if 9 teams are using bbq sauce and you're using something different and better, you might run away with it.
As far as reading up on bbq, everything you want to know can be found right here on this forum. The best bbq cooks in the world are on here sharing their knowledge with each other. Everything I know about bbq and competing I learned right here.
Good luck at the comp and let me know if you have any questions.

Anchors Smokeshop
09-09-2011, 09:47 AM
As of today, we are at 10 teams:
The Smoke 'N Barrel
EZ Que
Babylon Grillbillies
Smoking Irish
Mikes Backyard
Smokin Aces
The Grill Scouts
Two Fat Polocks
Tree Cue Boys

There's still room for more teams and there's still time to sign up if any teams want to jump in last minute.
Now that Norwalk is cancelled this weekend, come on out to Hicksville next weekend.

Mornin' Wood
09-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Thanks, James.
I was a little tongue-in-cheek about the teriyaki on the hibachi, but it's a neat idea.

Name is no longer Tree Cue Boys - now officially known as Mornin' Wood.

-Chuck

BlazinSS934
09-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Last call we still have spots open we would like to finalize teams by Tuesday the latest.

Sal

NS Mike D
09-11-2011, 09:42 PM
are side dishes allowed?

will there be a judged entry? KCBS rules?

motoeric
09-11-2011, 09:50 PM
I'd also like to know about the side dishes.

I believe, but don't know for sure, that there will be a judged portion. I believe that it will be no garnish, minimum of three ribs, blind judging with CBJ's. Taste, visuals and toughness, w/ taste being the most heavily weighted.

Eric

Anchors Smokeshop
09-12-2011, 07:55 AM
I'd also like to know about the side dishes.

I believe, but don't know for sure, that there will be a judged portion. I believe that it will be no garnish, minimum of three ribs, blind judging with CBJ's. Taste, visuals and toughness, w/ taste being the most heavily weighted.

Eric

I'm not sure about sides yet. Maybe Sal will chime in on here and answer this question. If not, I will call him later to find out. I'm all for sides, but we'll see.

As far as the judged ribs, we will be giving each team a standard 9x9 styrofoam turn in box. Each team will put 3 ribs in the box for a 1:00pm turn-in. The window is from 1:00 to 1:10. We have not designated an official turn in location yet, but we will let the teams know at the 7:00am team meeting. NO GARNISH!

Mornin' Wood
09-12-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure about sides yet. Maybe Sal will chime in on here and answer this question. If not, I will call him later to find out. I'm all for sides, but we'll see.

As far as the judged ribs, we will be giving each team a standard 9x9 styrofoam turn in box. Each team will put 3 ribs in the box for a 1:00pm turn-in. The window is from 1:00 to 1:10. We have not designated an official turn in location yet, but we will let the teams know at the 7:00am team meeting. NO GARNISH!

I hope it's ok to make sides.

No garnish.....so do I understand correctly that we are looking at three ribs sliding around in an otherwise empty box? I don't want to fark it up!

Chuck

Anchors Smokeshop
09-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Let's have a vote on garnish. Will the competing teams please reply with GARNISH or NO GARNISH?
If we go with garnish, it will be either parsley or leafy lettuce. If we go with no garnish you can put a piece of aluminum foil in the box or nothing at all.

motoeric
09-12-2011, 10:46 AM
I hope it's ok to make sides.

No garnish.....so do I understand correctly that we are looking at three ribs sliding around in an otherwise empty box? I don't want to fark it up!

Chuck

I believe that it's a minimum of three ribs.

If that's going to change, I certainly hope that it's open garnish for new teams.

Eric

scm1226
09-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Garnish is stupid!!!!! We cook meat not make salads!!!

tugbone
09-12-2011, 11:21 AM
no garnish

Smokin' Aces
09-12-2011, 01:07 PM
foil thats it

motoeric
09-12-2011, 01:52 PM
I just spoke with Sal (one of the organizers) and here is his take on the side dishes.

There will be people there aside from us that are vending food, including the fire department themselves.

If we give away food, it has to be a small amount. Something akin to a toothpick with some chicken or a one ounce serving cup.

Has anyone thought about having a potluck team breakfast?

Eric

Anchors Smokeshop
09-12-2011, 02:52 PM
I just spoke with Sal (one of the organizers) and here is his take on the side dishes.

There will be people there aside from us that are vending food, including the fire department themselves.

If we give away food, it has to be a small amount. Something akin to a toothpick with some chicken or a one ounce serving cup.

Has anyone thought about having a potluck team breakfast?

Eric

I had a feeling that was what he was going to say about the sides. They are trying to raise money for the FD, so if we are giving food away that means less people will be buying food from them and less money raised.
It seems like they are ok with the teams giving away a small sample with the ribs, so please keep it to one small sample.
Restaurant Depot sells a sleeve of 2 oz plastic sauce cups, which are the perfect size for free samples (see image below).
As far as a pot luck breakfast, my new team: Jesus Loves Dunkin Donuts (formerly known as The Smoke 'N Barrel) will be bringing Cutty Sark and Smokin Irish will be bringing Jameson. If anyone else wants to bring a bottle of their choice, it will be the best pot luck breakfast ever!

Anchors Smokeshop
09-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Oh, one more thing.... it has been decided: NO GARNISH!
If a team chooses to, they can put a piece of tin foil in the turn in box for the judged portion of the contest.

scm1226
09-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I like they way you think! we definitely WILL BRING the JAMESON

BlazinSS934
09-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Just as a FYI an email will be going out tomorrow afternoon to all registered teams with all the details for saturday if you don't receive it please please email me at co4cookoff@optonline.net

we still have room for a few more teams I need to know by Wednesday morning the latest

BlazinSS934
09-12-2011, 10:34 PM
BBQchef33 havent heard back from you via PM about your application

motoeric
09-12-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm probably making armadillo eggs but with stuffing of hard boiled eggs and hash browns instead of jalapenos and cheese.

Stop by when they smell done cause I'll be making a bunch.

Eric

Joe Zukes
09-13-2011, 06:05 AM
Looking forward to this event, sounds like a darn fun day for sure!

Anchors Smokeshop
09-13-2011, 12:34 PM
As of now, the weather looks beautiful for Saturday. Sunny and cool, high of only 68.
It will be a nice change from the cold and rain at Willie-Palooza and the heat and rain at The Battle of the BBQ Brethren.
Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new friends that day.

motoeric
09-13-2011, 03:18 PM
What are you people handing out the ribs on? Paper plates?

Eric

DragonZim
09-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Can't wait! Looking forward to my first competition!

Gary from EZCue

BlazinSS934
09-13-2011, 04:26 PM
small 6" paper cake plates will work

scm1226
09-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Are the plates being provided to us?

motoeric
09-13-2011, 08:14 PM

I don't think so. To be honest, I'm just heading down to the dollar store and picking up a bunch.

Eric

09-13-2011, 08:28 PM
when we did buck a bone at the brethren, did'nt we have to sign an agreement.
health wise, because we are serving to public. Dont want to get anyone sick for the first timers. First timers ( if there any), THINK THIS
you know latex gloves, keeping the ribs warm, water. rinse sani & anything else i am missing (chime in peeps)

I see paper plates & handing out a napkin would be good.
Oh yeah, hope the RIBS ARE NOT FROZEN, like last time, but i am thinking yes
should be a few laughs, quick jam, rub, cook, eat & drink

Anchors Smokeshop
09-13-2011, 08:30 PM

No. Please bring your own plates, napkins, paper towels, wet naps, sterno racks, sterno trays, sternos, serving utensils, etc.

Anchors Smokeshop
09-13-2011, 08:36 PM
No. Please bring your own plates, napkins, paper towels, wet naps, sterno racks, sterno trays, sternos, serving utensils, etc.

Also forgot latex or nylon gloves and wash/rinse/sani buckets.
I'm not sure but i think each team will have to sign something from the Board of Health when we get there.

nosmo
09-13-2011, 08:55 PM
early reply from the HFD, all we need to do is the three wash setup {wash,rinse,sanitize].They said that this was approved by the board of health. Remember this is Nassau co. not Brookhaven,Suffolk.Different Rules

BlazinSS934
09-13-2011, 11:24 PM
I will call the board of health in the AM for a clarification on what is needed. They have been stretched a little thing after the hurricane so their response time is a little slow. Any other question that I need to ask them?

Sal

BBQchef33
09-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Unless the FD made a deal, nassau board of health still requires a handwash station aside from wash, rinse, sanitize.

a water source with locking spigot(like a 3$ water container, coffe urn, or igloo 5 gallon cooler with spigot), and a catch basin(5 gallon bucket) will do. Hand soap and paper towels.

serving area needs to be covered also, so server UNDER your ez-up.

Anchors Smokeshop
09-14-2011, 05:38 AM
I will call the board of health in the AM for a clarification on what is needed. They have been stretched a little thing after the hurricane so their response time is a little slow. Any other question that I need to ask them?

Sal

Sal, did you email the teams with all of the info yet?

Sledneck
09-14-2011, 07:37 AM
What are you people handing out the ribs on? Paper plates?

Eric

small 6" paper cake plates will work

I don't think so. To be honest, I'm just heading down to the dollar store and picking up a bunch.

EricPaper boats are better

Anchors Smokeshop
09-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Did anyone get an email from the Hicksville FD?

tugbone
09-14-2011, 09:50 AM
My team mate got a phone call from them gates are open at 4am cooks meeting at 6am and 2 cases of ribs handed out thats all i got from my team mate.
ray

NS Mike D
09-14-2011, 10:35 AM
My team mate got a phone call from them gates are open at 4am cooks meeting at 6am and 2 cases of ribs handed out thats all i got from my team mate.
ray

same here plus captain's meeting at the 6am food distribution

1 pm food service to the public

2 pm turn in for judging

4:30 - 5 judging

Anchors Smokeshop
09-14-2011, 10:57 AM
I've been texting with Sal and he told me he called all the teams instead of emailing them.
Just so there's no confusion, if you're using gps, the address is 100 West Barclay St, Hicksville. The parking lot is on the South side of the street and West of the building for this address.

NS Mike D
09-14-2011, 12:23 PM
thanks for that update

I was just speaking to Sal and here is a little clarification on the side dishes.

They will be selling plates with the the traditional sides:

cole slaw
baked beans, and
cornbread

So please don't provide those sides with your ribs. Their idea was if you were queing or grilling something other than a side, like pulled pork or ABTs, by all means, give a sample to the folks either by toothpick or the small soufle cup.

I am not sure this was clear on this site, it will be 1 1/2 cases of ribs, but they are not sure if they will be the full spares or St Louis cut.

so

4-6 am arrive (they will be there friday night of you need to set up then)

6am capt's meeting and meat distribution

1 pm open to public

2pm turn in for judging

4:30 - 5:30 (depending on how fast the ribs are moving) awards

You may want to have a side/appertizer available just in case your ribs go too fast in the day and want to interact with the public. Again, exercise judgement to balance with not interfering with the vendors, but also making it a pleasant experience for the public, since this is to help the FD.

They will have the Town of Oyster Bay grandstand trailor for the judging and awards area.

motoeric
09-14-2011, 01:34 PM
If you are competing at this event and would like to be mentioned in Newsday, PLEASE post your team name and what town your team is from (just list one town).

And please do so quickly, this is a sort of crunch time thing.

Thanks,

Eric

scm1226
09-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Smokin' Irish BBQ - bay shore

speedrcer1
09-14-2011, 02:30 PM
From James:
The Smoke 'N Barrel, Seaford

Anchors Smokeshop
09-14-2011, 02:33 PM
The Smoke 'N Barrel - Seaford, NY

NS Mike D
09-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Mike's Backyard: Huntington

Anchors Smokeshop
09-14-2011, 04:01 PM
I just spoke to Sal and here is all of the latest information:

Teams can set up Friday night between 8pm and 10pm or Saturday morning after 4am.
There will be a team meeting at 6am to go over the timeline, details, etc. At this time we will also be given a case and a half of ribs. (Still don't know if they are spares or baby backs.)
We are trying to arrange a potluck breakfast for 9am at a team's site. If a team wants to volunteer to hold the breakfast at their site, that would be great. Also, if teams want to volunteer to bring a breakfast item or two, please post it here so we can keep track of who's bringing what.
The event opens to the public and the car show begins at 10am.
The people's choice window is from 1pm to 4pm, but may go a little longer if teams still have ribs.
The judged portion of the ribs turn in is at 2pm. The window for turn in is from 2:00 to 2:10pm. The turn in will be at the Town of Oyster Bay grandstand trailer.
The judged portion of the ribs will consist of 3 ribs in a standard 9"x9" styrofoam container that will be provided at the team meeting. NO GARNISH!! If a team chooses to do so, they can line the box with a sheet of tin foil.
The award ceremony is scheduled for 5:30pm at the TOB grandstand trailer.
The GPS address of the event is 100 West Barclay St, Hicksville, NY.

The required materials each team must have are:
- Water container with a spigot for washing hands, a bucket to catch the running water, hand soap and paper towels.
- Wash/ Rinse/ Sanitize buckets and bleach.
- Fire exinguisher
- Latex or nylon disposable gloves
- Tongs for serving ribs to public
- Paper plates, napkins, plastic utensils (if serving a side), etc...
- If I forgot something, feel free to chime in.

As far as sides, we are allowed to serve a side with our ribs. The FD will be selling baked beans, cole slaw and corn bread, so please don't give away those items as a side. Some acceptable sides are: mac & cheese, pulled pork, ABT's, moink balls, etc. Please keep the sides to a small portion. The 2 oz plastic cups I posted a picture of earlier are perfect.

If I forgot something, please let me know.
I hope everyone is looking forward to this event. It should be a lot of fun!
Make sure you tell all of your family and friends to come down and support your team!

tugbone
09-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Babylon Grillbillies Babylon n.y

09-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Smokenstein and The Monster Crew, Selden

P.S Now i know what Clint feels like, I am going to be famous :grin:

09-14-2011, 06:03 PM
NO BEER TRUCK, This is the FD :shock:

Mornin' Wood
09-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Mornin' Wood, Riverhead, NY

BlazinSS934
09-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Smokenstein

This a family event lol

Sal

Red solo cups are your friend

Ruka
09-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Two Fat Polocks, Hicksville

motoeric
09-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Hey! Cool, the Polocks are in.

It seems like no one was interested in the communal breakfast, so instead I'm just going to make scrambled eggs and hash browns. Feel free to stop by if you're hungry.

Eric

Sledneck
09-14-2011, 10:03 PM
same here plus captain's meeting at the 6am food distribution

1 pm food service to the public

2 pm turn in for judging

4:30 - 5 judging

Wow those ar gonna be some cold ribs judged since they will be in a box from 2. To 430:twisted:

Anchors Smokeshop
09-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Wow those ar gonna be some cold ribs judged since they will be in a box from 2. To 430:twisted:

Why are you chiming in? I thought this event was too shake and bake for you! :shocked:

NS Mike D
09-15-2011, 07:15 AM

Why are you chiming in? I thought this event was too shake and bake for you! :shocked:

exactly

:becky:

Sal said judging, I assume he meant tallying the peoples choice and awards

Sledneck
09-15-2011, 07:15 AM

No after hanging out with sal the other night I see the event is totally legit, I'm not coming because I can't stand to be in the same area as you

DragonZim
09-15-2011, 07:17 AM
EZCue - Shirley, NY

DragonZim
09-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Is a hose with a nozzle OK to use instead of a water container with a spigot for washing? We were told earlier that there would be running water on site as long as we brought our own 100' hose.

scm1226
09-15-2011, 07:46 AM
Buy one of those poland spring water jugs that are square and have an empty bucket to catch the water.

Anchors Smokeshop
09-15-2011, 09:08 AM
No after hanging out with sal the other night I see the event is totally legit, I'm not coming because I can't stand to be in the same area as you

You should come by. Your buddy Adam Richman will be there working with my team. :wink:

DragonZim
09-15-2011, 09:17 AM
You should come by. Your buddy Adam Richman will be there working with my team. :wink:

Man Vs Food, Adam Richman? For real?!?

Smokin' Aces
09-15-2011, 09:23 AM
smokin' aces wantagh

Mat
09-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Hey Guys

Just an update......I've had no problem getting my entry fee refunded by these guys and got multiple phone calls regarding it. Obviously being two days before the event they are extremely busy....in addition to doing the job they VOLUNTEER to do when they arent working their regular 9-5.

Have some patience. I know I got a bit on edge but it was mostly due to the fact I wasnt able to get answers I needed in time to get the time off work. But I can assure you I will be in it next year......if they decide to put up with us again. haha

good luck to all
Mat

09-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Smokenstein

This a family event lol

Sal

Red solo cups are your friend

So i guess the fireworks are out, cancel the Hooter girls, & i had
my concrete anchors ready to install the brass pole....

Signs that may be seen at this event:
Mustache rides are on the house (tom selleck like)
FREE JAMESON SHOTS THIS WAY , compliments Smokin Irish
Big Barry Paying all admission fees to public ( up to 3$) :icon_blush:
Garnish--SHeesh who needs it
MEDIA ...Sorry hes not here
Any complaints, please contact Phil :shocked: , Somehow you may get a call :becky:
Ribs, with a side of eggs & hash Browns

SmokeInDaEye
09-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Man Vs Food, Adam Richman? For real?!?

Yeah, he's going to try eating James' ribs without getting sick.

BlazinSS934
09-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Just spoke with my pork supplier. He is providing us with full spare ribs NOT St Louis cut. Please be prepared to do some trimming

Also forgot to mention gloves are needed as per NC DOH

Salb

speedrcer1
09-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah, he's going to try eating James' ribs without getting sick.
I'll cook 'em, I ain't eatin 'em!
:doh:

scm1226
09-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Are we going to know the breakdown of the prizes at the cooks meeting? I want to make sure i have room in my truck for the prizes for first place.

Hahaha

BlazinSS934
09-15-2011, 03:32 PM
In case it got lost in earlier posts.

People choice
1st place 22.5" weber smokey mountain
2nd place 10x10 professional grade pop up by eZ-Up
3rd place. Large cooler
4 th place smaller cooler
5th place BBQ tool set

Also get trophies 1-5

Judged comp
1st place trophy and free entry into next years event
2nd-5th place shout outs

Sal

motoeric
09-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Sounds like it's going to be a great time and a nice day (weather wise).

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

Eric

nosmo
09-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Is the spigot bucket official if so is the BoH going to testing the temp of the meat ,as per holtsville,
Let's be sure that if we are going to be inspected that we know ALL therules before...even if it is late now....do we need certificates of approval from the Board of health to sell,tickets, the ribs

BlazinSS934
09-15-2011, 05:48 PM
All of the teams are listed on the app for the BoH under our application so no additional paperwork is needed. as for the temp of the meat, I can't say if they will or will not be there because I don't know. The ribs are refrigerated so if you have a cooler we can provide ice to keep the ribs below 40 till u finish prep on them. As for final cooking temp and holding temp, I am sure everyone has a wide array of thermometers to monitor

Sal

If any one has done a nassau county comp please feel free to chime in

nosmo
09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
thanks see all you Sat before the Sun rises

09-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Just spoke with my pork supplier. He is providing us with full spare ribs NOT St Louis cut. Please be prepared to do some trimming

Also forgot to mention gloves are needed as per NC DOH

Salb

Thats a whole lotta trimming.......

BBQchef33
09-15-2011, 10:29 PM
some BOH input from experience.

BOH requires mechanical refrigeration for keeping meats cold. Not Ice.

Holding temps must be 145 or better.

Serving area must be covered.

A spigot bucket is official...

u can use any one of these

http://www.wegmans.com/prodimg/805/200/082657500805.jpg

http://www.cooler-store.com/images_products/igloo_water_cooler_5_gallon_b6.jpg

http://bronxchairrental.com/img/100cupurn.jpg

Anchors Smokeshop
09-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Heading over there in a little while to start setting up.

scm1226
09-16-2011, 05:35 PM
See you guys on the flip side.

09-16-2011, 08:27 PM
The night before the big shamoo, everybody reading , nobody posting

09-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Oh yeah, since you guys suggested sides, I am doing
Stuffed lobster tails with butter poached lump crabmeat,
a merlot reduction stuffed portabella & gorgonzola filet mignon garlic bread :-P

NS Mike D
09-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Oh yeah, since you guys suggested sides, I am doing
Stuffed lobster tails with butter poached lump crabmeat,
a merlot reduction stuffed portabella & gorgonzola filet mignon garlic bread :-P

naturally seasoned with truffles and saffron

BlazinSS934
09-17-2011, 02:20 AM
Well guys big day is here just grabbing a cup of Joe. Remember captains meeting at 6 am

Joe Zukes
09-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Looks to be shaping up to be a great day!

motoeric
09-17-2011, 05:52 PM
I didn't go to the awards ceremony. Does anyone know who came in the top five or so in judged and people's choice?

Thanks!

Eric

DragonZim
09-17-2011, 06:11 PM
EZQue took first in People's Choice. To be honest, I dont remember anything after putting that shiny new smoker and trophy in the back of our truck! Thanks everyone! We'll definitely see you all around at upcoming events.

Gary
Team EZCue

BlazinSS934
09-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks to everyone who participated today. Our event was a success thanks to the supported the Bretheren. I am exhausted and will have the scores posted up tomorrow.

Thank you all so much

Sal
Hicksville FD Volunteer Hose Co 4

NS Mike D
09-17-2011, 09:04 PM
EZQue took first in People's Choice. To be honest, I dont remember anything after putting that shiny new smoker and trophy in the back of our truck! Thanks everyone! We'll definitely see you all around at upcoming events.

Gary
Team EZCue

congrats. Your euphoric fist pumps and leaps into the air at the announcement said it all.

Mat
09-18-2011, 03:52 AM
Someone just drove past me on hempstead tpke in a black suburban with smoker in tow. Moving a little fast eh? Shoulda pulled you over and asked your brethren username ha

Sent from my DROIDX

Mornin' Wood
09-18-2011, 06:14 AM
We had a great time. The weather was perfect!
The company was great, too.
WE want to thank Sal and the rest of the guys from Hicksville Fire Department for putting on a great event. We hope you (and we) do it again next year.
We also wanted to congratulate all of the winners! The ribs were fantastic!

And...to whoever took two rolls of aluminum foil from our site when we were out socializing with the other teams...you didn't need to help yourself to it. We would have given it to you, all you needed to do was ask.

We hope to see you all again, soon!

-Chuck

snarky
09-18-2011, 10:04 AM
It was a great day! Finally an event with no rain! Thank you to the grillbillies for once again being a good neighbor and for saving us when we ran out of red cups! ;-)

~Grill scouts

Anchors Smokeshop
09-18-2011, 11:55 AM
I just wanted to thank Sal and all of the guys from the Hicksville FD for putting together a great event.
I also want to thank all of the teams that competed in this event.
I hope this is an event that we can build on and grow into an annual competition.

Congrats to Smokin Aces on the Grand Champion of the judged portion.
Congrats to EZ Cue on their 1st place in the People Choice portion.

NS Mike D
09-18-2011, 12:13 PM
here is the newsday link

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/towns/long-island-now-1.1732330/grill-teams-compete-for-best-bbq-in-hicksville-1.3178792

Anchors Smokeshop
09-18-2011, 12:17 PM
here is the newsday link

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/towns/long-island-now-1.1732330/grill-teams-compete-for-best-bbq-in-hicksville-1.3178792

Can you copy and paste the text from the article onto here please?
I have Fios and can't access Newsday.com. F Cablevision!
Thanks

NS Mike D
09-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Can you copy and paste the text from the article onto here please?
I have Fios and can't access Newsday.com. F Cablevision!
Thanks

will try. the link is down again. It wasn't working most of the morning. I'll check it again in a while.

Sledneck
09-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Grill teams compete for best BBQ in Hicksville
Saturday September 17, 2011 5:51 PM By T.C. McCarthy
The Hicksville Fire Department Volunteer Hose Co. No. 4 held its first annual barbecue competition and car show at the Hicksville Fire Department Station 3 on West John Street, with a portion of the proceeds benefitting the Nassau County Fire Fighters Burn Center. Videojournalist: T.C. McCarthy (Sept. 17, 2011)
Frank Pascuzzi moved his glasses to the tip of his nose so he could read the digital display on his meat thermometer. Perfect -- 168 degrees.
The 52-year-old Copaigue man’s red suspenders and snow-white hair rested on his shoulders as he cut the fat from a rack of ribs. He worked fiercely to get the next rack basted so that*he could throw it on the grill. Then he handed cookies to the line of children that kept forming at the helm.
“For years Mrs. Claus and I have been barbecuing up at the North Pole,” he said. “I figured I would come down and share a little bit of North Pole barbecue.”
More: newsday.com/hicksville
On Twitter: @tc_mccarthy | @LI_Now
The year-round professional Santa Claus volunteered with the Grillscouts, one of 12 grill teams competing in the Hicksville Fire Department Volunteer Hose Co. No. 4’s inaugural BBQ Cook-Off and Car Show. Pascuzzi showcased his new North Pole-styled ribs, which he described as sweet while the meat stays on the bone.
Huntington’s Michael Diaz, of Mike’s Backyard grill team, was also on hand cooking up his traditional ribs.
“We’re all about community and giving back,” Diaz said. “When we heard about this, we thought, ‘What better way [to] help out the community.’”
The event was organized by Greg Doerflein and Brian Quinn of the Hicksville Fire Department’s Volunteer Hose Co. No. 4. Proceeds from the cook-off will go to the fire company; donations from the car show will go to the Nassau County Fire Fighters Burn Center.
“We wanted to do something to get the community together and just have a great Saturday afternoon,” Doerflein said.
He and Quinn worked for about 10 months on the event. The crowd of about 150 people offered compliments for all of the grill teams. The contest was divided into two categories -- crowd favorite and the professional judge’s favorite. Shirley's EZQ took top honors as the crowd's favorite, while the judges'*favorite was*Wantaugh's Smokin' Aces.
“What’s more American than a good old-fashioned classic car show?” Doerflein asked.
Photo: Frank Pascuzzi, a year-round professional Santa Claus from Copaigue,*grills meat at the Hicksville Fire Department Volunteer Hose Co. No. 4’s inaugural cook-off and car show. (Sept. 17, 2011)

Sledneck
09-18-2011, 01:59 PM
http://media.newsday.com/mpeg4/091711matt-hicksville-fd-car-show-mccarthy_ipad.mp4

SmokeInDaEye
09-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Congrats all! Beats a freezing cold boy scout campout!

DragonZim
09-19-2011, 07:14 AM
So, what are the judges looking for in the rib events? We wanted to make sure we gave them "perfect" ribs so we pulled 3 from one of the first racks we took off the smoker that looked perfect but I think that since we had to serve them to the judges about an hour later they may have gotten a little dried out when we threw them back on the grill to warm up before turning them in.

motoeric
09-19-2011, 11:32 AM
In this contest they were looking for Taste, Texture and Visuals. The ribs were given a score in each, the scores were totaled and a tie breaker of a 1-100 overall opinion was used if necessary (which I don't think it was).

If you're asking in a larger sense, like what do judges like, it's pretty much the same as any other contest.

Eric

Sledneck
09-19-2011, 11:45 AM
So, what are the judges looking for in the rib events? We wanted to make sure we gave them "perfect" ribs so we pulled 3 from one of the first racks we took off the smoker that looked perfect but I think that since we had to serve them to the judges about an hour later they may have gotten a little dried out when we threw them back on the grill to warm up before turning them in.

According to jacked up they are looking for a wasabi glaze

motoeric
09-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Hey, I need some quick info for Newday. I need to find out who came in 2nd and 3rd in the people's choice and I need someone to confirm the positions of the judged.

Thanks!

Peoples Choice

1st EZ Cue

Judged

1st Smokin' Aces
2nd Babylon Grillbillies
3rd Grill Scouts

Anchors Smokeshop
09-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Hey, I need some quick info for Newday. I need to find out who came in 2nd and 3rd in the people's choice and I need someone to confirm the positions of the judged.

Thanks!

Peoples Choice

1st EZ Cue

Judged

1st Smokin' Aces
2nd Babylon Grillbillies
3rd Grill Scouts

The Smoke 'N Barrel came in 2nd in people's choice.
I think Smokin Irish came in 3rd, but not positive.

NS Mike D
09-19-2011, 12:23 PM
The Smoke 'N Barrel came in 2nd in people's choice.
I think Smokin Irish came in 3rd, but not positive.

:wave:

Smoking Irish and Mike's Backyard tied -

the luck of the Irish ran out in with the drawing of straws.

While we took the trophy and prize, I am more that happy if Newsday reported both teams as tied for third.

Westexbbq
09-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Congrats to all who competed and all who got called as well. Glad it was a success.
Kudos to the Hicksville FD for all their efforts.

scm1226
09-19-2011, 03:40 PM
:wave:

Smoking Irish and Mike's Backyard tied -

the luck of the Irish ran out in with the drawing of straws.

While we took the trophy and prize, I am more that happy if Newsday reported both teams as tied for third.

Na it was because we ran out of Jameson! Glad we got 4th luggin that coffin cooler would be the death of us. We got the one wheels. Good job to All! Had a blast. Ez cue and mikes backyard better show up to willies in April ! A full contest is 4x the fun!

Mornin' Wood
09-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Mornin' Wood tied for second place in the judged portion!

Chuck

Mornin' Wood
09-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Ez cue and mikes backyard better show up to willies in April ! A full contest is 4x the fun!

You don't want Mornin' Wood at Willies? Did we offend you in some way?

Chuck

scm1226
09-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Chuck

You guys too!!

Sledneck
09-19-2011, 08:03 PM

Chuck Well if you are into that sort of thing more power to you NTTATWWT . I want nothing to do with morning wood, especially if it involves Willie.......

09-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Well if you are into that sort of thing more power to you NTTATWWT . I want nothing to do with morning wood, especially if it involves Willie.......

now thats funny shi*

DragonZim
09-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Hey, anyone know of a good local (LI Based) supplier for whole briskets? Need to start practicing for WilliPalooza!

tugbone
09-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Babylon Grillbillies tied with morning wood for second place judges portion.
This was a fun cook to end the season sal want to make it bigger next year
hope it works out we need a few more comps on the island.

scm1226
09-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Hey, anyone know of a good local (LI Based) supplier for whole briskets? Need to start practicing for WilliPalooza!
Resturant Depot in Bohemia

hwy hawk
09-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Is there anymore compititions on long island this year?

hwy hawk
09-20-2011, 07:42 PM
also were can I get a list for next year? I'd like to try entering some. I was going to do hicksville but couldn't get it together in time.

09-20-2011, 08:37 PM
williepalloza,(Brentwood) usually early spring (aprilish)
Battle of the brethren (which would be number 6 this coming year)(Manorville ? we hope)
Tanger Outlets = if they do it again???
you have Grilling on the Bay( March/april) in Brooklyn i believe
& now Hicksville FD...rib off

I dont think i am missing any

09-20-2011, 08:38 PM

I would work with flats, instead of the whole enchilada
until you get your taste/ time/ & everthing else on point
then go whole if you want, less $

BBQchef33
09-20-2011, 09:39 PM
There may be a contest on Oct 22. I will post info as it comes up.

Plans for next year.

L.I. Williepolozza mid April

L.I. Contest XYZ in discussion :becky: booked for weekend before memorial Day weekend

L.I. Contest ABC In Discussion, End of June

Leaving July for Troy

L.I. Manorville First week in August

Ribfest last week in August

L.I. Hicksville in Sept

L.I. Closeout in Oct (this one we are working on for Oct 22).

09-21-2011, 05:29 PM
L.I. Closeout in Oct (this one we are working on for Oct 22).

Sayville- The rise of the stormiest BBQ battle yet :laugh: (those neighbors have to miss us :becky:
Or Holtsville- Revenge of the groundskeeper (he has to miss us :becky:

09-21-2011, 07:06 PM
enjoy

scm1226
09-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Nice pics!!

DragonZim
09-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Great pics!

Mornin' Wood
09-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Great photos! Thanks for sharing.

Chuck
Mornin' Wood

Smokin' Aces
09-23-2011, 03:54 PM
thank you for a great event, hopefully next year it will be a lot bigger ( more teams and vendors)

hwy hawk
09-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the list of events. I should have my s#*t together by then. maybe even october? The hardest part is coming up with a team name and convincing my wife to let me buy a small trailer for the smoker. I already have an inclosed 24' car trailer taking up room in the driveway.

DragonZim
09-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Since pretty much everyone on this thread is local, anyone know of a reliable place to get beef back ribs? My local Pathmark had some last week and I picked up a rack to try out. They came out amazing and would love to get more, but that was the only time I've ever seen them around and they dont have anymore.

HolySmoke
09-26-2011, 05:55 AM
main street meats/farmingdale meat market for beef back ribs...

hwy hawk
09-28-2011, 06:15 PM
try resturant depot or western beef in mineola.

Smokin' Aces
10-20-2011, 08:02 AM
so im guessing i dont get my 5th place trophy for this contest

10-20-2011, 08:19 AM

you have to go to fifthplacetrophy.com (they have them there)

scm1226
10-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Should have done better!! Then you would be in this situation. You can always turn those crappy spatula's into a trophy, or you can put a post it on the Judged (1st place) trophy that says 5th place peoples choice!!!

You sell that thing yet?? Where are the pics of the new monster??

Smokin' Aces
10-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Should have done better!! Then you would be in this situation. You can always turn those crappy spatula's into a trophy, or you can put a post it on the Judged (1st place) trophy that says 5th place peoples choice!!!

You sell that thing yet?? Where are the pics of the new monster??

no they all feel threw i actually had a guy from Rhode Island and jersey but still hjave it and cant build one till the other is gone , so im in a pickle

Smokin' Aces
10-20-2011, 10:06 AM
you have to go to fifthplacetrophy.com (they have them there)

i tried that link but for some reason all that comes up is a video of smokin irsh greatest achivements and they took 5th out of 4 teams competing, very strange

SmokeInDaEye
10-20-2011, 05:15 PM
try resturant depot or western beef in mineola.

Yeah, I actually bought some at that Western Beef last weekend. Not as hard to store in the freezer as the three rack packs from Restaurant Depot. Also, my guys at Pelligrini Prime Meats on Covert Ave. can hook you up with quality stuff.