PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping and keeping butts and brisket

Bbqin fool
04-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Ok so I don't want to sound naive but is wrapping considered crucial for butts and brisket? And if so when should I wrap? Also when they are done at the competition what's the best way to keep them so they stay moist and warm?

Lake Dogs
04-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Some teams foil; some dont. Those that do foil at different times. As far as staying hot and moist, wrap them and place them in a cambro (coolers work fine). They'll keep for hours like this, especially if you pack towels around them for warmth.

We foil when the exterior of the meats meets our color preference and leave them foiled for the remainder of the cook.

Ford
04-29-2011, 09:41 PM
I once took foiled butts that were at about 200F and put them in a sealed carlisle. I'll never do that again. I doubt my dogs would have eaten it and the judges sure let me know that.

Brisket - well that's another story. I'd suggest you try a class or else just find a quality team that would let you hang out for a weekend and take some notes.

Bottom line is wander around and see where people put their meat. I've seen them sitting on top of FE's wrapped and in a pan for a period of time, in a cooler, on a counter, in a cambro, there's really no one answer. First question would be how long do you hold and that would determine how you hold it and if it goes back in the smoker again.

Best advice for competition is take a quality class. Rod told me what I already knew about a sealed cambro with foiled butts.

boogiesnap
04-29-2011, 10:06 PM
for keeping moist and warm. let the meat vent off for a bit to arrest carryover. wrap in your choice of the following: foil, butcher paper, high temp safe plastic wrap. place in cambro or good quality cooler with some towels. it'll still be too hot to touch 6 hours later.

wrapping during the cook is purely subjective.

use the search feature...there are decades of knowledge at your fingertips.