PDA

View Full Version : Freezing competition meat

paydabill
04-27-2011, 08:17 PM
I am going to ask - sorry.

Who freezes what competition meats. I am usually at the mindset that you do not freeze competition meat. With prices being high buying in bulk is cheaper.

What about you?

big brother smoke
04-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Ideally, I wet age briskies for a month or so and into the deep freezer and out to the fridge 6 days before a comp.

JD McGee
04-27-2011, 08:53 PM
I prefer to buy fresh...but if I have to buy a case lot to save some big bucks I have no problems freezing everything...:thumb:

Ken V
04-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Wet age briskets and freeze, freeze ribs do not freeze butts or chicken.

jbrink01
04-27-2011, 10:14 PM
I buy chicken by the case and freeze it. I buy briskets, butts and ribs every week for catering and sort out what I want. The briskets are on a 40 day rotation........the ribs and butts go fresh, not frozen.

warren.miller
04-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Ken V,
I am curious why you don't freeze chicken or butts? Does freezing ribs help?

Thanks,
Warren

INmitch
04-27-2011, 11:14 PM
1 ribs come frozen. Buy a case for every comp. The leftover get used for Jason catering or for bussiness cooks.
2 Buy fresh CK n prep n freeze
3 fresh butts
4 Try to get briskets 10-20 days befor comp. Previously frozen!!

Jeff_in_KC
04-27-2011, 11:18 PM
I prefer a brisket that's been frozen after wet aging for about 50 to 55 days. Ribs, yeah, freezing is ok. Pork, I prefer frsh but I'm sure at some point, some stuff we buy has been previously frozen. Chicken, no way no how... EVER frozen!

AZScott
04-28-2011, 12:12 AM
I'll freeze everything but pork butts and the only reason for that is that it's easy to find a pork butt with a good mm. Ribs I buy as I practice and trim and vacuum seal the ones that stand out. Brisket is wet aged then frozen in cryo. Chicken is trimmed, vacuumed and frozen. I freeze out of convenience.

Ken V
04-28-2011, 01:01 AM
Warren, I normally buy briskets and ribs by the case from IBP, the chicken and butts I buy the week of the contest.

Ken

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

paydabill
04-28-2011, 10:03 AM
great responses - wet aged?

I assume keep in the cryo vac for some time, is there a refriderated temp you are looking for?

CBQ
04-28-2011, 10:31 AM
great responses - wet aged?

I assume keep in the cryo vac for some time, is there a refriderated temp you are looking for?

In cryo vac, and undisturbed. Don't wet age in your kitchen fridge.

35 to 36 is a good target temp. Wet aged brisket will have a rich, deep aroma to it. It will NOT smell rancid. If it seems rancid, it is. Don't use it.

As a previous poster noted, around 50 days is good. This is 50 days from the kill date, not 50 days from when you bought it.

Divemaster
04-28-2011, 11:36 AM
I freeze it all and haven't had a problem.

The fact that I can get the trimming done on my time frame is a HUGE plus. In fact, we are looking at adding a second freezer to hold all of the meats.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

The Virginian
04-28-2011, 01:23 PM
I usually prep ribs ahead and freeze. I keep an eye out for meaty ribs every time I go to the store, and when I find them I prep, vacuum pack, and freeze for the next contest.

I occasionally prep and freeze chicken, like the convenience and don't think it hurts anything. I don't freeze pork butts, Adam Perry Lang says its not good for the pork texture.

Brett

Fatback Joe
04-28-2011, 01:45 PM
I will freeze it all, but especially briskets and ribs. I have a hard time finding any I like, so when I do I grab them..........if it has to go in the freezer I am fine with it.