PDA

View Full Version : Brisket and shoulder in pans

altomari8868
04-25-2011, 04:32 AM
Hi,
Most times during competiton cooks I cook brisket and shoulders right on the grates. Saw a copy of kick a$$ BBQ's thought on cooking these during the entire cook in aluminum pans. I was hoping to hear for anyone as to if this has any draw backs. I realize I would probably need to heep the drippings low but other than that does it hurt anything. I just lined the botttom of my offset with fire bricks and thought this would help?
Any advice from someone who has done well with this during comps would be huge for me. Also if there is anything I need to watch out for if I do this.
Thanks

Smokin' Hicks
04-25-2011, 06:45 AM
I just wanna know what you think the advantage to doing that may be....the disadvantage I can think of would be you would essentialy braise the bottom of the brisket in its own juices and the meat would crumble and be over cooked

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
04-25-2011, 09:45 AM
I just wanna know what you think the advantage to doing that may be....the disadvantage I can think of would be you would essentialy braise the bottom of the brisket in its own juices and the meat would crumble and be over cooked

If you leave the fat cap on the bottom I don't see that being a problem. You are going to cut that fat off the bottom of the flat before you make your slices anyway.

Lake Dogs
04-25-2011, 10:22 AM
I've recently began cooking them in fairly deep cookie sheets; fat cap down. This helps us move the meat around with no sticking to the grates, and it helps when we foil later, the drippings are right there and I'll pour them over the meats in the foil and keep them just that much more moist.

wormdrink67
04-25-2011, 09:00 PM
we're cooking on a cooling rack inside the foil pan, keeping the bottom of the meat braising.

Mister Bob
04-25-2011, 10:41 PM
I often cook my butts and briskets in shallow stainless pans on cooling racks. It makes it easy to move them around, allows the smoke to get all around, keeps them from braising and makes cleanup easier. Like this:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/Bobsarno/ButtsandBrisket800.jpg