PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Club Regional open spots

Bigmista
04-24-2011, 02:15 PM
It seems that some people who qualified for the regional are dropping out. Also, some teams are competing in more than one local event, creating extra spots in the regional, should qualify in both local events.

How do YOU think the extra spots should be filled? Highest overall scores across all of the local events in that region? Next highest place at that local event?

Let's hear your ideas.

Red Valley BBQ
04-24-2011, 02:26 PM
From the rules of the Sam's Club Championship:

9. If a team qualifies for a Regional or the National and cannot attend the event, the opening will be announced and made available to the next highest point qualifier from the Local or Regional event where the nonparticipating qualifying team came from. The team itself can NOT transfer the qualified entry to another team in any way, form or fashion. As for a Local event where a confirmed team chooses not to participate, or simply can’t participate, then the next registered team for the event will be given a chance to make payment and confirm their participation into that Local event.

http://www.kcbs.us/sams-club-series-rules.php

Bigmista
04-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks!

Red Valley BBQ
04-24-2011, 02:41 PM
You're welcome!:thumb:

Bigmista
04-24-2011, 02:54 PM
What about teams with 2 qualifiers in the same region. I didn't see that in the rules.

huminie
04-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Only the wild card spots take into account scores from other events. It makes sense to ensure there are 7 teams from each local, going down the list until you get 7 teams. Since different judges are used this is the only fair way to do it.

For teams in more than one local, I don't see that in the rules. If it were me I would put that team in from the local where they placed the highest, and then open up a spot at the other local event. So say 1 team placed 2nd in one local and 6th in another. I would say they get to the regional based on the 2nd place and then the 6th place would get scrubbed leaving an opening at that local for the 8th place team.

Coz
04-24-2011, 03:14 PM
I thought I read somwhere that once they qualify thats where they are any additional entries are for money only.

Red Valley BBQ
04-24-2011, 03:33 PM
I thought I read somwhere that once they qualify thats where they are any additional entries are for money only.

If openings occur that allow teams to enter more than one local contest, teams will be allowed to compete in multiple regional contests. However, once a team wins at a regional, they will have only ONE (1) entry into the National Contest. Any subsequent wins at a regional contest by that team will be for prize money only.

benjet
04-24-2011, 03:38 PM

That's what was announced in Santa Fe. Once you are in, you are in.

Here 7 & 8 overall already qualified so the team who was 9 (overall) will go from Santa Fe.

Red Valley BBQ
04-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Only the wild card spots take into account scores from other events. It makes sense to ensure there are 7 teams from each local, going down the list until you get 7 teams. Since different judges are used this is the only fair way to do it.

For teams in more than one local, I don't see that in the rules. If it were me I would put that team in from the local where they placed the highest, and then open up a spot at the other local event. So say 1 team placed 2nd in one local and 6th in another. I would say they get to the regional based on the 2nd place and then the 6th place would get scrubbed leaving an opening at that local for the 8th place team.

I guess this all would depend on if a team is in more than one local contest within the same region. Giving a quick glance over the list goodbuddiesbbq has posted for the fantasy league I didn't see any teams that fell into this category. I did see at least one team that was in multiple local contests, but each local was in a different region.

Red Valley BBQ
04-24-2011, 03:41 PM
That's what was announced in Santa Fe. Once you are in, you are in.

Here 7 & 8 overall already qualified so the team who was 9 (overall) will go from Santa Fe.

Soooooo totally missed that one. :doh:

Thanks for the clarification.

Bigmista
04-24-2011, 03:48 PM
IAB 30 qualified in Gilbert and Santa Fe.

Sylvie
04-24-2011, 03:54 PM
I wonder what happens when a teams qualifies in a regional event and none other but chooses NOT to go to the regional final for whatever reason. Will the next team down on the local event that team qualified for go to the regional final?

Since the Las Vegas regional final is only two weeks away, has KCBS set a confirmation date for the qualifiers to respond yes or no (will/will not attend) so that teams who were 8, 9, or 10th at the local event can be notified and prepare to attend the regional final?

glenntm
04-24-2011, 04:07 PM

With Steel City taking Harry's spot that puts you and Little Miss on the bubble for the Wild Cards spots. The next in line from Santa Fe is the #10 team, and they scored 628 yesterday. Nothing will be final until after Colorado next weekend. Sacramento scores are way to low for wild cards.

Scottie
04-24-2011, 04:18 PM
So why wouldn't teams go? Skeered?

huminie
04-24-2011, 04:37 PM
I won't go even if I am "invited", and it is definitely possible they would get down to me since I was 11th and I know of 3 teams ahead of me that are not going, and one of the the 8/9/10 teams is probably going to pass.

For me the decision is easy. There is another contest that same weekend that is in the next town over for me. It is shaping up to be the largest contest in California competitive BBQ history, and is a CBBQA ToY event. With the way the points system works for ToY this is a "can't miss" event. On top of that I will be doing PC sales and already have product on order to sell, and volunteers lined up to help out. This is the same contest Harry and others are choosing over Las Vegas.

glenntm
04-24-2011, 04:40 PM

They appear to wanna compete the same weekend as Vegas in the Morgan Hill event. It has about 70 teams already signed up. Not really sure. I think there are 4 that qualified in Sacramento that are not going.

huminie
04-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Morgan Hill is a big contest. They have room for 75 teams, and will be huge for CBBQA ToY points.

Muzzlebrake
04-24-2011, 05:39 PM
I won't go even if I am "invited", and it is definitely possible they would get down to me since I was 11th and I know of 3 teams ahead of me that are not going, and one of the the 8/9/10 teams is probably going to pass.

For me the decision is easy. There is another contest that same weekend that is in the next town over for me. It is shaping up to be the largest contest in California competitive BBQ history, and is a CBBQA ToY event. With the way the points system works for ToY this is a "can't miss" event. On top of that I will be doing PC sales and already have product on order to sell, and volunteers lined up to help out. This is the same contest Harry and others are choosing over Las Vegas.

so teams took a spot in a local contest that had a waitlist and with no intentions of going to the regional level?

Rich Parker
04-24-2011, 05:49 PM
What is the prize purse for the Morgan Hill event? Just wondering if it is the cash keeping them out of Vegas or loyalty to CBBQA events.

huminie
04-24-2011, 06:56 PM
so teams took a spot in a local contest that had a waitlist and with no intentions of going to the regional level?

Can't speak for other teams, but for me it was going to be a "I'll cross that bridge if I come to it" sort of thing. If I had done well enough I likely would have gone to Vegas. But after finishing 11th I have now made more solid plans for Morgan Hill.

huminie
04-24-2011, 06:59 PM
What is the prize purse for the Morgan Hill event? Just wondering if it is the cash keeping them out of Vegas or loyalty to CBBQA events.

The purse is $13k, and with it likely to be a 75 team event, there will be a lot of points up for grabs. Any team hoping to have a shot at ToY or Rookie ToY will have to be there.

glenntm
04-24-2011, 07:26 PM
The purse is $13k, and with it likely to be a 75 team event, there will be a lot of points up for grabs. Any team hoping to have a shot at ToY or Rookie ToY will have to be there.

13K for Morgan Hill and 20K for Vegas.....

Red Valley BBQ
04-24-2011, 07:35 PM
So teams would rather go to a comp with 75 teams with a $13k purse over a comp with 30 teams and a $20k purse?? I understand the cost of transportation is rising, but I would think most teams would go with the better odds.

Muzzlebrake, I am with you. Why enter a competition such as this if you aren't going to follow through with it? Our team is in it to win it. We have a semi-local comp the weekend of nationals, but if it comes down to it, I'm headed to Bentonville. I'll take that 16 hour drive for a shot at the $35k GC over a local comp. TOY points be danged.

Bentley
04-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Yeah, but Morgan Hill has a lot of dispo$$$$iable income and as usually only about 1/3 of the teams vend, a team can make 2-$4000 in one day vending...Which odds do you like? A shot at $500 or a $1000 or a $3000 sure thing?

Red Valley BBQ
04-24-2011, 07:40 PM
I can understand if a team is vending. The business portion of BBQ would trump the sport side of it any day. But for someone that's not vending, it doesn't make much sense to me.

goodbuddiesbbq
04-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Unless you think that there is a "really good chance" that you could be the California Team of the Year or Rookie of the Year, I would get my butt to Vegas.

The way that its going...30 will sign up and 28 will show up...and that's for 20k. I order all qualified teams to report to Las Vegas immediately:evil:.

Mista...are you gonna back door into this thing?

huminie
04-24-2011, 08:24 PM
So teams would rather go to a comp with 75 teams with a $13k purse over a comp with 30 teams and a $20k purse?? I understand the cost of transportation is rising, but I would think most teams would go with the better odds.

Muzzlebrake, I am with you. Why enter a competition such as this if you aren't going to follow through with it? Our team is in it to win it. We have a semi-local comp the weekend of nationals, but if it comes down to it, I'm headed to Bentonville. I'll take that 16 hour drive for a shot at the $35k GC over a local comp. TOY points be danged.

The odds aren't as lopsided as you might think. Of the 75 teams probably half of them are local teams that don't compete much...in some cases this may be their only competition of the year. So that cuts the field to almost the Vegas level. Factor in that Vegas will have 100% teams that did very well in the local and it is probably a wash. For teams in NorCal the difference in driving is significant. At $4.20/gal for gas and closer to $4.50/gal of diesel the 8-10 hour drive to Vegas may be too much for some. For me it would be a 9 hour drive and $500 in fuel driving my F-350.

And a lot of teams do this for their own sense of pride rather than just the chance to win money. A team that knows they won't be able to drive out to Arkansas from California in October may just decide taking a run at ToY instead.

Again, I can't speak for anyone but myself and as of right now I am not eligible for Vegas. I have 200lbs of tri-tip ordered and will make a couple grand in Morgan Hill from that, so that is where I will be. I am also looking forward to seeing a lot of friends and family who will be coming out to cheer me on in my first ever "home town" event. Should be a blast! :thumb:

Scottie
04-24-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't get it. Califonia wants all this respect and then folks back out of going head to head with other regions? All I have to say is CA TOY of year must be one hell of a payout if folks are passing on a chance at sams $$... folks should have stayed home for the first round then.

huminie
04-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Well, you will have to ask teams that have backed out as I don't know all their reasoning. If I had finished well enough I likely would have been going. But after finishing 11th I had to move on and look forward. I am gonna try to take a run at Rookie Team of the Year, but unfortunately I am already behind in that area and I haven't even competed in one ToY event.

I know my buddies at Big B's Down and Dirty BBQ will be chasing their dream to Vegas and I wish them all the best!

Bigmista
04-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Unless you think that there is a "really good chance" that you could be the California Team of the Year or Rookie of the Year, I would get my butt to Vegas.

The way that its going...30 will sign up and 28 will show up...and that's for 20k. I order all qualified teams to report to Las Vegas immediately:evil:.

From everything I've heard and the scores I've seen, I am the second wild card right now. All depends on Loveland.

Some people aren't doing the regional because it isn't a TOY or Jack Qualifier.

Muzzlebrake
04-24-2011, 08:54 PM
I don't get it, seems like a dick move to me. I'm sure that there was a waitlist for these contests, just like the rest of them have and someone got farked. A team may be denied a shot a competing for a national championship because a team that made the registration wants to compete in a 75 team contest for a local association's ToY/Rookie of the Year points?

Are you kidding me? That makes as much sense as being a Met's fan..........:crazy:

I think that the people I know who have entered are in in for the long haul. In fact the majority are PLANNING on being at thier respective Regional. Hell, try being in the East, where our Regional is the same weekend as The Royal. I don't think that you are going to see many teams that quailfy for Medford and The Royal in KC.

big matt
04-24-2011, 08:57 PM
I don't get it. Califonia wants all this respect and then folks back out of going head to head with other regions? All I have to say is CA TOY of year must be one hell of a payout if folks are passing on a chance at sams $$... folks should have stayed home for the first round then.
I hear ya Scottie!..If we would have made it we would have been there for sure but now it's Morgan Hill..this comp is at 67 teams as of today so as far as points go out here it's almost worth 2 comps points wise..our point system is flawed in that it's all about team count..example if you finished 3rd in a 30 team comp or 20 something in a 50 team comp it's almost the same points wise..and there is no payout for Toy or Roy just a trophy..California is so big that travel is a MUST if your going to try for either one..if your not willing to go up and down the state someone else will!

huminie
04-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Well, I don't know what else to say I guess you will have to find a team that qualified and is backing out and ask them why.

CoBeth
04-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Scotty, just my .02 cents on the "Why would a team that qualified not go" question. We took 3rd overall in Santa Fe and had 3 calls, which was great, but didn't pay very well! The contest payout is so top-heavy with no depth. Unless your calls are top 5 (we had 6th, 9th, 7th, 12th) or take GC or RGC, you come home with no prize money.

Theoretically, a team could come in 3rd at a local event, 3rd at a regional, and 3rd in Bentonville and not win a dime. I heard that mentioned several times over the weekend, but it really hit home after the awards! : )

huminie
04-24-2011, 09:04 PM
I hear ya Scottie!..If we would have made it we would have been there for sure but now it's Morgan Hill..this comp is at 67 teams as of today so as far as points go out here it's almost worth 2 comps points wise..our point system is flawed in that it's all about team count..example if you finished 3rd in a 30 team comp or 20 something in a 50 team comp it's almost the same points wise..and there is no payout for Toy or Roy just a trophy..California is so big that travel is a MUST if your going to try for either one..if your not willing to go up and down the state someone else will!

Looking forward to meeting you in a couple weeks Matt!

Bigmista
04-24-2011, 09:05 PM

Just remembered, I was supposed to put you on ignore.

goodbuddiesbbq
04-24-2011, 09:06 PM
{Insert your favorite coach voice here:}
I'm standing here in this overheated parking lot looking at a bunch of people that don't want to go Vegas because of some vending at the Catalina Wine Mixer. The Cata freaking lina Wine Mixer...I know it's the single largest helicopter leasing date of the year (tell Iowa Smokey D's), but ladies and gentlemen...I could have stayed home and let my wife kick me in the nuggs and we could have save a lot of time and energy and just included the south, midwest and northeast. We didn't and now we got folks that don't want to get on the bus because they think that they are gonna get stepped on. I got 7 starters and 4 of them are telling me they don't want to play for a National Championship (this is what Im calling the sams club...its like the college championship not the Jack, but big), but I say NOT UP IN HERE (ECHO IN THE ROOM) NOT UP IN HERE (REPEATED)!

Then I got my next folks(alternates) that are sitting on the sidelines that would rather cook the Catalina Wine Mixer than play for the National Championship. I do not accept your logic and instead replace it with my own. You are all going to go to your wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands and tell them that for a second you thought about starting to urinate sitting down, but you caught a second win and you are ready to prove to them that you have TIGER BLOOD AND ARE WINNING.

Everybody out there thinks that California BBQ Cooks are the kinda cooks that out of towners can swoop in on and take their titles...I say NO! That is how they do us in Florida, but NOT UP IN HERE (ECHO IN THE ROOM) NOT UP IN HERE (REPEATED)! SO boys and girls we're gonna play that game where we pull our heads out of our ashes and push back.

So I don't care if you're on the California Team Bus or not, but we're going to Vegas and we are gonna leave it all out there...Lets go Cali!!!:mad2:

Yes...Allen...what do you have

{Insert Allen Iverson voice here:} We're talking about gas...we're talking about gas! Not the fact that you have a shot to cook for barbecue glory, but about gas!

So if we have to rent a 24 footer from Uhaul and throw all the gear for 7 teams in there to save the dollars, you're all gonna be on that bus. So Cali...I as your official spokeperson I'm telling the following players:

Bigmista
Huminie
Left Coast Q

Keep that smoke rolling because we may need you to swoop on Las Vegas and :boxing: them out!

It's On!!!!!!!!!!

huminie
04-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Scotty, just my .02 cents on the "Why would a team that qualified not go" question. We took 3rd overall in Santa Fe and had 3 calls, which was great, but didn't pay very well! The contest payout is so top-heavy with no depth. Unless your calls are top 5 (we had 6th, 9th, 7th, 12th) or take GC or RGC, you come home with no prize money.

Theoretically, a team could come in 3rd at a local event, 3rd at a regional, and 3rd in Bentonville and not win a dime. I heard that mentioned several times over the weekend, but it really hit home after the awards! : )

That is a good point. I got 3rd in brisket which allowed me to earn the registration fee back, but it still cost another $400-$500 to be there that weekend. And there were people who finished much higher than me that got nothing, so I was pretty lucky to get that much. And the trophy with the cow is priceless. :becky:

Bigmista
04-24-2011, 09:15 PM
I don't get it, seems like a dick move to me. I'm sure that there was a waitlist for these contests, just like the rest of them have and someone got farked. A team may be denied a shot a competing for a national championship because a team that made the registration wants to compete in a 75 team contest for a local association's ToY/Rookie of the Year points?

Are you kidding me? That makes as much sense as being a Met's fan..........:crazy:

I think that the people I know who have entered are in in for the long haul. In fact the majority are PLANNING on being at thier respective Regional. Hell, try being in the East, where our Regional is the same weekend as The Royal. I don't think that you are going to see many teams that quailfy for Medford and The Royal in KC.

I agree with you on that. If you weren't serious you shouldn't have taken a spot from someone who wanted to try to go all the way.

big matt
04-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Looking forward to meeting you in a couple weeks Matt!You too!

big matt
04-24-2011, 09:25 PM
{Insert your favorite coach voice here:}
I'm standing here in this overheated parking lot looking at a bunch of people that don't want to go Vegas because of some vending at the Catalina Wine Mixer. The Cata freaking lina Wine Mixer...I know it's the single largest helicopter leasing date of the year (tell Iowa Smokey D's), but ladies and gentlemen...I could have stayed home and let my wife kick me in the nuggs and we could have save a lot of time and energy and just included the south, midwest and northeast. We didn't and now we got folks that don't want to get on the bus because they think that they are gonna get stepped on. I got 7 starters and 4 of them are telling me they don't want to play for a National Championship (this is what Im calling the sams club...its like the college championship not the Jack, but big), but I say NOT UP IN HERE (ECHO IN THE ROOM) NOT UP IN HERE (REPEATED)!

Then I got my next folks(alternates) that are sitting on the sidelines that would rather cook the Catalina Wine Mixer than play for the National Championship. I do not accept your logic and instead replace it with my own. You are all going to go to your wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands and tell them that for a second you thought about starting to urinate sitting down, but you caught a second win and you are ready to prove to them that you have TIGER BLOOD AND ARE WINNING.

Everybody out there thinks that California BBQ Cooks are the kinda cooks that out of towners can swoop in on and take their titles...I say NO! That is how they do us in Florida, but NOT UP IN HERE (ECHO IN THE ROOM) NOT UP IN HERE (REPEATED)! SO boys and girls we're gonna play that game where we pull our heads out of our ashes and push back.

So I don't care if you're on the California Team Bus or not, but we're going to Vegas and we are gonna leave it all out there...Lets go Cali!!!:mad2:

Yes...Allen...what do you have

{Insert Allen Iverson voice here:} We're talking about gas...we're talking about gas! Not the fact that you have a shot to cook for barbecue glory, but about gas!

So if we have to rent a 24 footer from Uhaul and throw all the gear for 7 teams in there to save the dollars, you're all gonna be on that bus. So Cali...I as your official spokeperson I'm telling the following players:

Bigmista
Huminie
Left Coast Q

Keep that smoke rolling because we may need you to swoop on Las Vegas and :boxing: them out!

It's On!!!!!!!!!!
Great post!..Trust me I wish we would have made it and we would have taken it all the way to Arkansas..like you said it's about BBQ glory and we sure wanted to take it to that level but it wasn't our day in Gilbert..and of course this event trumps anything in California!

glenntm
04-24-2011, 09:30 PM

I think Mista will be in Vegas....

huminie
04-24-2011, 09:32 PM
I would have loved my second ever contest to be the regional in Vegas...how cool would that have been?

Bigmista
04-24-2011, 09:42 PM
I think Mista will be in Vegas....

If I get in as a wildcard I will definitely be there.

U2CANQUE
04-24-2011, 09:53 PM
know of one who has dropped in the NV regional

Bentley
04-24-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't get it. Califonia wants all this respect

Can I ask who is saying this? As I see it, respect is earned, and even then some folks have Trouble giving it...

I don't get it, seems like a dick move to me. I'm sure that there was a waitlist for these contests, just like the rest of them have and someone got farked.

I will agree that if you werent gonna move on it was fairly Richardish...But I don't get why Sams allowed teams in more then one contest, that makes no sense, unless you could not fill the region, maybe that was the case...Pretty sure that if the Sams events go off next year, the Walton laywers will have that kink worked out...

If I get in as a wildcard I will definitely be there.

Good thoughts for ya Buddy!

Red Valley BBQ
04-24-2011, 10:07 PM

That is a good point. I got 3rd in brisket which allowed me to earn the registration fee back, but it still cost another $400-$500 to be there that weekend. And there were people who finished much higher than me that got nothing, so I was pretty lucky to get that much. And the trophy with the cow is priceless. :becky:

The nationals are paying top 5 overall:

The National Championship will have a $100,000 prize purse as follows:
$35,000 for Grand Champion
$15,000 for Reserve Grand Champion
$6,000 for 3rd Place overall
$3,000 for 4th Place overall
$1,000 for 5th Place overall

So a 3rd at nationals would cover costs for all three comps for most of us.

I doubt there are many competitors out there that make enough at a contest on a regular basis to cover thier costs. I know our team doesn't...for now. But that surely isn't going to stop us from giving everything we have to take that GC in Bentonville, even if we don't win a dime along the way.

CoBeth
04-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Very true, Red Valley.

The thought of having teams group together to absord costs...ie: California, is fantastic! Thanks, "Coach". Will have to see if their are other RMBBQA teams who are "in". Depends a lot on results from Loveland.

We didn't expect to cover costs...by any means! However, coming in 3rd with no check, no trophy, no ribbon, was a bummer. Hey, but we got a can cozy!

AZScott
04-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Neil, I would pack your bags and be ready. I know we (Little Miss BBQ) are definitely in it if called and will be telling our bosses this week that there may be a wild chance that we will be the wild card in Vegas. We don't know what will happen in Loveland but it can't hurt to be ready. It would be great to see you out there so we can discuss, once again, how weird it is to only hear crickets at a contest at 10:30 pm. If we don't, ah well, we'll have everything we need for a final practice cook before the Orleans. Best of luck!

Bigmista
04-25-2011, 01:42 AM
I'm definitely going to be prepared. The question is, if you qualify do you pay your entry fee when you get there? We won't know if we're in for sure until the week of the regional.

benjet
04-25-2011, 03:21 AM

No, they (& R&Q) qualified in Gilbert. They cannot re-qualify.

benjet
04-25-2011, 03:28 AM
I wonder what happens when a teams qualifies in a regional event and none other but chooses NOT to go to the regional final for whatever reason. Will the next team down on the local event that team qualified for go to the regional final?

Since the Las Vegas regional final is only two weeks away, has KCBS set a confirmation date for the qualifiers to respond yes or no (will/will not attend) so that teams who were 8, 9, or 10th at the local event can be notified and prepare to attend the regional final?

7 will go from each local (not incl. wildcards).

They have a process in place, on "what happens next". With regards to the locals - both Sac and Santa Fe had ~5 team changes in the last few days leading up to each event (change could mean: replaced, dropped, etc.). Both ended up not having full fields which was not known ~24 hours before contest day. That said if there were more teams on the list they would have gotten the call to show up Fri AM. From what I heard this also happened in Gilbert and they got someone to show up within an hour.

I told one team - have everything packed and ready to go but your perishables, the moment you get the call, you can say heck ya I'm in (and they did).

big brother smoke
04-25-2011, 10:12 AM
I think a lot of teams were in a "cross that bridge when you get there" mode.

Muzzlebrake
04-25-2011, 10:52 AM
I think a lot of teams were in a "cross that bridge when you get there" mode.

I think that is majorly farked up! This whole competition from the start was going to be multi levels. If a team wasn't committed to that they should have stepped aside and let one of the waitlisted teams get in. If I didn't get in and someone that qualified dropped out for other than an emergency I'd be pissed.

I dont think you would want to be my neighbor at the next comp we were at together.

Bigmista
04-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Don't think I would want to be around Sean if he was pissed.

Jorge
04-25-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm definitely going to be prepared. The question is, if you qualify do you pay your entry fee when you get there? We won't know if we're in for sure until the week of the regional.

I'd email the event director, and ask them.:becky:

Scottie
04-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Just so I have this straight and some folks don't get their panties in a knot....

So competiting for the CBBQA ToY is more important/prestigious than winning a NATIONAL TITLE. The chance to win a $13k contest and 'maybe' make money vending is better than a series that will be offering over $150k.taking spots away from teams that wanted to ACTUALLY compete is Kosher.

You are right. What's so hard to understand.....

ique
04-25-2011, 11:35 AM
respect is earned, and even then some folks have Trouble giving it...

No better way to earn that respect than winning a National Championship

smalls65
04-25-2011, 12:15 PM
All I gotta say is, if the good Lord lets us make to the regionals and beyond...We'll farkin' be there even if I gotta empty out my savings and get a loan!!!!!!! I'd give my left nut to be able to have a chance to tee it off against the best in the game (In hopes of shocking the world!!)!!!!! But hey, I'm just a no-name in this sport!!!!! :thumb: Lookin forward to our local event in Greensboro, NC this September!!!! Good luck to all the teams that are in it for the long haul!!! :boxing:

goodbuddiesbbq
04-25-2011, 12:20 PM
No better way to earn that respect than winning a National Championship

That is exactly right!!! Don't let us win this event because it will take all of our winnings in legal fees to undo what might happen next.

Again...let us remember the big picture here...you got folks like Sams Club putting up a $400,000 tournament!!! You've got folks like Ramblin Ronnie Cates putting up $125,000 tournaments and probably over $1,00,000 in purse in the last two years!!!

You've gotta support these folks...these are the people that are going to allow a lot of people an opportunity to make money at a hobby, attract more sponsors for bigger/better payouts, and offer closer/more events!

I know that the Catalina Wine Mixer is big and so is the TOY...I truly do get that, but at the end of the day...you gotta support the folks that are making BBQ the next BASS Fishing Circuit!

The other side to this coin is if you keep the big tournaments going strong...the other smaller/local (no disrespect at all intended) will adjust their schedules to make this good for everybody!

I'm going on southwest.com right now and checking all 21 teams in early for their flights. Tell Sam Walton IX all of the west coast (I think Swine Assassins is officially west coast now) will be in Vegas.

There it is it's out there...lets get some of that Cali Pride out there!

huminie
04-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Just so I have this straight and some folks don't get their panties in a knot....

So competiting for the CBBQA ToY is more important/prestigious than winning a NATIONAL TITLE. The chance to win a $13k contest and 'maybe' make money vending is better than a series that will be offering over $150k.taking spots away from teams that wanted to ACTUALLY compete is Kosher.

You are right. What's so hard to understand.....

You will have to ask some of the teams who qualified and are dropping out. Not sure that any of them have been posting on this thread. I was just trying to provide some possible reasoning. Look at the top 7 from Gilbert and Sac and then compare with the MH team list. (Although keep in mind a few teams may have signed up for MH to get early bird pricing and may be going to Vegas...Big B's is an example.)

goodbuddiesbbq
04-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Can somebody PM me his phone number? I can't let a local qualifier winner miss out on this...I'm gonna show up at his house Bobby Bowden style and promise his mom and dad that we're gonna make him a champion on the next level.

He's gotta be there...is he on this site?

DawgPhan
04-25-2011, 12:27 PM
I think that is majorly farked up! This whole competition from the start was going to be multi levels. If a team wasn't committed to that they should have stepped aside and let one of the waitlisted teams get in. If I didn't get in and someone that qualified dropped out for other than an emergency I'd be pissed.

I dont think you would want to be my neighbor at the next comp we were at together.

If you didn't get into one of these events, you only have yourself to blame. They announced it and everyone had a chance to enter.

huminie
04-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Can somebody PM me his phone number? I can't let a local qualifier winner miss out on this...I'm gonna show up at his house Bobby Bowden style and promise his mom and dad that we're gonna make him a champion on the next level.

He's gotta be there...is he on this site?

Big B's IS going to Vegas. They are on the MH list because they signed up for that contest early, but after winning the Sac GC, they have said they are going to Vegas "to chase the dream".

big brother smoke
04-25-2011, 12:59 PM

Yea, I don't get it either, cuz I was going one way or another if I made the cut!:thumb:

Divemaster
04-25-2011, 01:27 PM

Yea, I don't get it either, cuz I was going one way or another if I made the cut!:thumb:

I know that feeling bro! Not to sound egotistical, but with the way vacations are figured here I had to get in early for the weekends I wanted. Hell, I'm al set through Bentonville and you can toss in the AR and the Jack as well! I figure for me its easier to cancel them than try and get them in the first place.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

goodbuddiesbbq
04-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Big B's IS going to Vegas. They are on the MH list because they signed up for that contest early, but after winning the Sac GC, they have said they are going to Vegas "to chase the dream".

Big B's the longest long shot of them all....comes out and takes one down and has his bags packed for Vegas....ata boy!!!!!

:boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing:

Muzzlebrake
04-25-2011, 02:57 PM
If you didn't get into one of these events, you only have yourself to blame. They announced it and everyone had a chance to enter.

I made sure I was in. I also plan on being in for every step of the way I quailify for.

Not everyone however had the chance to enter. I believe that all the local contest had waitlists. All the one's now on the the KCBS site have a waitlist. I'm not sure about the West Regional, but I think in the East there were some teams that did not in at all and possibly one or two that got into another local during the second registration period. Pittsburgh I think filled up in less than a day and possibly whithin hours of registration opening if I remember correctly.

Ron, I'll see you and the SmokeHouse Bandits in Greensboro! Come on by for a beverage!

smalls65
04-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Ron, I'll see you and the SmokeHouse Bandits in Greensboro! Come on by for a beverage!

No doubt...I sure will...I don't drink but I'll damn sure partake of an Ice cold H2O with you!!!! LOL Good Luck to you this season anD see ya in September!!!! :thumb:

Bentley
04-25-2011, 06:51 PM
You've gotta support these folks...these are the people that are going to allow a lot of people an opportunity to make money at a hobby, attract more sponsors for bigger/better payouts, and offer closer/more events!

The other side to this coin is if you keep the big tournaments going strong...the other smaller/local (no disrespect at all intended) will adjust their schedules to make this good for everybody!

There it is it's out there...lets get some of that Cali Pride out there!

I drive my Caravan and fish on the weekend, that does not mean I am gonna get to drive in NASCAR events or have the funding to fish on the Bass circuit!

We have to support what people, the promoters that come in and schedule an event the same weekend as local established event, which benefits a local charity I might add, or the promoter that has it on a Sunday to circumvent and get it passed through KCBS...I would much prefer to support my local event and let those that have the talent, money and time go for the Money, Power & Respect you speak of...

Cali is a city in Colombia by the way.

Muzzlebrake
04-25-2011, 11:28 PM
You will have to ask some of the teams who qualified and are dropping out. Not sure that any of them have been posting on this thread.

sorry about that, I understand your circumstances are different. We don't mean to shoot the messenger

oh yes you would have! I would have shamed you into it

No doubt...I sure will...I don't drink but I'll damn sure partake of an Ice cold H2O with you!!!! LOL Good Luck to you this season anD see ya in September!!!! :thumb:

I have been know to enjoy some of that southern sweet tea.........

I drive my Caravan and fish on the weekend, that does not mean I am gonna get to drive in NASCAR events or have the funding to fish on the Bass circuit!

you don't enter BASS or NASCAR events do you? This is more like someone qualifying for Talladega then backing out to go earn local dirt track points

Capn Kev
04-26-2011, 08:40 AM
It's not just California, I've heard two of the Santa Fe qualifying teams are already considering backing out of the Las Vegas regional. They simply cannot afford to spend $700-$800 on gas, another $250 entry fee, and all of the other comp expenses that come along.

I agree that the teams that entered the local qualifiers should have thought of that before they entered, instead of taking a spot from another team.

The aforementioned reasoning is exactly why we didn't enter our local contest. We did not want to haul our stuff up and down the mountains to get to Vegas if we managed to qualify. Plus, there was a local contest the same weekend as the Vegas regional that has a nice payout.

CoBeth
04-26-2011, 01:00 PM
No spots were taken from "other teams" in Santa Fe. They only had 28 teams show and no wait list. If we choose to not go to Las Vegas, it will only be because of the cost involved.

Bentley
04-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Bentley http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1621840#post1621840)

you don't enter BASS or NASCAR events do you? This is more like someone qualifying for Talladega then backing out to go earn local dirt track points

Not sure what I was getting at there, you accutally make a much better analogy of the situation...

DawgPhan
04-26-2011, 01:32 PM
No spots were taken from "other teams" in Santa Fe. They only had 28 teams show and no wait list. If we choose to not go to Las Vegas, it will only be because of the cost involved.

I am guessing that if they do this again next year, they wont be showing the west coast love they did this year. I doubt they will have this problem in some of the other regions. Can't fill local contests and then teams backing out of the regional contests, I would imagine Sam's will just have more contests in Kansas/Texas/Georgia regions.

Sylvie
04-26-2011, 01:45 PM
I am guessing that if they do this again next year, they wont be showing the west coast love they did this year. I doubt they will have this problem in some of the other regions. Can't fill local contests and then teams backing out of the regional contests, I would imagine Sam's will just have more contests in Kansas/Texas/Georgia regions.
Time will tell. Only Region 1 comps so far. Many more regions to go.

Jorge
04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
If somebody wanted in bad enough, they'd be in. I was sitting on the laptop, backing up two different teams for two different local contests when the registration window opened. Only a couple of the contests filled within minutes. If you planned accordingly and were ready to go when the window opened you got in. I had a friend, twisting my arm for weeks to go cook Santa Fe myself, because it remained open for a long time. At the end of the day, the folks that made the effort to make sure that they got in are the same folks that have the opportunity to advance whether they scored in the top 7 or via a pass down. That's the way it should be. The folks that planned, and entered day one actually cooked. Those that didn't, and may have been shut out have nobody to blame but themselves.

AZScott
04-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Yea, the rest of the country never has teams that drop out. They are committed unlike those of us in the southwest. /heavy sarcasm/ You are going to see comps with less than 30 teams in the other regions and you are going to see teams that pass up regional competitions. Life happens and everyone has their own priorities. You can't stop that.

Capn Kev
04-26-2011, 04:37 PM

Beth,

I wasn't specifically referring to Santa Fe. I was referring to the California comp where the list was full. Sorry, I should have clarified.

Kev

huminie
04-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Well, I just got the email. I have officially qualified for Vegas. Unfortunately, after placing 11th I figured this would never happen and I have $1500 in product ordered for vending in Morgan Hill. I have 12 volunteers lined up to help and most of them are from out of town. I also have dozens of local friends and family that have made plans to come out to our local contest and cheer us on (I live 15 mins away in the next town.) If I had been one of the original 7, I would be there. If Morgan Hill wasn't our "home" contest and the only time we will vend this year, I would be there. But will all things factored in, I will need to decline.

I am going to take a moment to savor the fact that I qualified for such a prestigious contest in my very first sanctioned event. Even though it is somewhat tainted, I consider it to be an honor and I am proud of my team's accomplishments.

I hope folks here will understand my decision.

riblette
04-26-2011, 06:57 PM
I’ll try to add a little perspective…this isn’t an attempt to defend anyone’s decision, just to add a little more insight from someone on the ground in Northern California, with a few contests under their belt...
People were not necessarily crawling over one another to get signed up for the Sacramento Sam’s event. It did fill up on the first day, but not in the first hour or so. There were teams that signed up on the waitlist a few days later that made it in. This takes a little air out of the “you jags stole my spot and then didn’t go” argument.

You guys know what happens early in the season with the first few events. Everybody wants to knock the rust off and everyone is anxious to compete. I seem to remember a couple a weeks back a lot of our brothers and sisters in the mid-west were bent out of shape by the NKC event, which seems to have a not-so-brilliant legacy all its own...I was there, and I can testyify. Nonetheless , it drew 104 teams…because it was the first event of the year for many of those teams. When the Sam’s event came up, we jumped on it…the first gig of the year up here, and dammit, we signed up. I don’t think a lot of thought was given to people in other regions feelings getting hurt because we may eventually turn down the opportunity to go to the next level.

People are not necessarily backing out of Las Vegas simply because they don’t wanna go. The Morgan Hill event is the big driver here. Here’s why:
It will probably be the biggest event in California this year. Certainly the largest in Northern California.

Morgan Hill is within 3 hours drive for the vast majority of the 75 or so teams who will be competing there…probably within 90 minutes of more than half the teams…Las Vegas is closer to a 10-12 hour drive.

Although the purse in Morgan Hill is only 65% of the Sam’s purse the Las Vegas expense is far higher. For example, for us, had we qualified (we got crushed) we would have been in for an additional $2k over the Morgan Hill expense, plus a couple missed days of work X4 people. Yeah, we might have gotten some of that back but that’s a hard decision to make.

But the big driver for the Morgan Hill event is really the California Team of the Year Points chase. Here’s why:
The California Team of the Year structure, by the admissions of the folks that run the program, “needs to be reevaluated”. If you ask the teams they would probably tell you that’s being kind. Personally I’m not sure it could be more farked up if we tried. And believe me, we’re trying. I won’t go into the details, but let’s say if we asked Congress to work with TSA and Charlie Sheen to come up with a TOY program it would probably be better than what we have now. I’m not kidding. This system, and the BS politics surrounding it, is so mucked up it has driven the two top Northern California promoters out of the biz, as of earlier today.

Promoters and others are taking advantage of the fact the TOY program is a joke (and I’m NOT talking about the Morgan Hill promoters). For example, last year a promoter scheduled back-to-back events on New Year’s eve and New Year’s day, and teams were forced to give up their holidays to have a shot at TOY. Basically, if you miss one big event you have NO CHANCE at TOY. For the folks in Northern California, if we miss Morgan Hill we have virtually no shot to finish in the top 10 in TOY without travelling to Southern California (because there are a lot more TOY events down there)…and we’re a big state, Brothers. It’s not unusual for teams to have to travel 400 miles to compete in our own state. It’s a lot easier for a lot of teams from Arizona to compete in the Southern California events than it is for some Northern teams to make the trek.

In all honesty, over the past couple years, and the trend continue this year, there are only a few teams that have a shot at coming in 1st in TOY. Naturally, if those teams compete in the Sam’s events in AZ or California, they have a good chance of qualifying for the regionals. If one of those teams decides to skip Las Vegas there is a domino effect…and that’s what has happened.

The California BBQ Association has recently denied a key Northern California event TOY status, because it is occurring on the same weekend as another event over 250 miles away (don’t wanna damage the California TOY “brand” as one of the BOD members explained), which in effect further reduces the chances of a high TOY finish for many of us, and thus increases the importance of the Morgan Hill event.

Dang...that’s a much longer explanation than intended. Thanks for listening…..fire when ready.

Grand Poobah: I’m still pretty new here. Can I get a credit for extra posts since this one is so long??? :becky:

huminie
04-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Well said David. Thank you!

I will admit, as a new team who has been training to compete since last June, I was chomping at the bit to start competing this year. The first contest on the schedule in Northern California was set for May (Morgan Hill). As a brand new team I didn't feel comfortable traveling hundreds of miles to compete down south in my first contest. But when the Sam's Club contest was announced for Sacramento my eyes lit up! It was a chance to try my hand at a sanctioned pure KCBS contest (normal times, 4 meat only and no PC), before Morgan Hill. With Morgan Hill being so close to home I knew I was going to be under a lot of pressure. Friends and family will be coming out...lots of distractions...and I was afraid to have that be my first ever contest. Sam's seemed like a good way to get my feet wet, shake off the jitters and work out the kinks in my schedule. Little did I know that the BBQ Czar would put the pressure right back on by ranking a competition virgin at number 5! LOL

So ya, a lot of teams were just excited to get out there and start competing. And the ToY domino effect is spot on. Teams invest a lot to chase that title and missing MH would put them out of contention very early in the year.

Like David, not excuses, just insight into people's thinking on the subject.

Hopefully next year the Sam's events (if they do them) will take into account some of the local contests to avoid some of this. Probably not, but you can always dream.

sitnfat
04-26-2011, 07:49 PM
We don't have a Tennessee BBQ association, that I am aware of, nor a ToY here but I did check to make sure that the other dates of the Sams club series did not interfere with other comps we plan on attending. I think that is what bothers some of the members is that by taking a spot in the locals and then dropping out if you make it to regionals shows you were not 100% dedicated and took the spot from someone else that would make the sacrifice to travel that far on a weekend of another big comp. I will take a trip to the second round however I can get it I hope if I ain't one of the teams to make the cut others drop out so I can go :-D

DawgPhan
04-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Yea, the rest of the country never has teams that drop out. They are committed unlike those of us in the southwest. /heavy sarcasm/ You are going to see comps with less than 30 teams in the other regions and you are going to see teams that pass up regional competitions. Life happens and everyone has their own priorities. You can't stop that.

I fell pretty safe in saving that an 11th place team from region 2 or 3 will not be making it to the regional event...much less turning it down.

huminie
04-26-2011, 08:28 PM
I fell pretty safe in saving that an 11th place team from region 2 or 3 will not be making it to the regional event...much less turning it down.

Are you saying I am a trail blazer? :becky:

luckyduk
04-26-2011, 08:46 PM
All I can say is:
I did not enter any Sam's event because when/if I made it to the regionals I may not be able to go(wife is due 7-27).
Anyone who enters should be thinking that they would move on? Correct? Why enter if cannot go to the next round?
Plus there is a comp an hour away if I were able to compete that weekend :thumb:
Why enter?
Maybe a stupid thought on my part :crazy:

Muzzlebrake
04-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Huminie....I get it bro I understand why made your desicion, you finished well out of the money and planned accordingly. Here the top 10 go, so 11th takes on a different meaning.

Jorge.....your post makes several very good points. I wasn't sure about the waitlists situation for that region. I think the late openings and your actions when registration opened highlight the difference in the emphasis placed on this event across the country.

jzqh3v......no offense, but you aren't swaying anyone with that argument. Now you are telling me that teams are not willing to compete for a National Championship because they want to compete in a State ToY points chase that "I’m not sure it could be more farked up if we tried?"

None of the people I have spoken to have thought about this as just another contest to come shake off the rust at. They viewed it as I did as a long term commitment to a first of its kind multi level national playoff.

AZScott.......I'm willing to bet every contest in the East is full. Our waitlists are 10 deep. You are right things do happen, and adjusting for unforseen circumstances are understandable. However, I'm also willing to bet that you aren't going to see anyone skipping a regional for a State Championship here or the other regions.

JD McGee
04-26-2011, 09:38 PM
:pop2:

riblette
04-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Huminie
None of the people I have spoken to have thought about this as just another contest to come shake off the rust at. They viewed it as I did as a long term commitment to a first of its kind multi level national playoff.

No offense taken. Remember the Sacramento contest was in mid April, not later in the year as it is back east...thus the "shaking off the rust" metaphor. This was our first contest within 400 miles since last October 1st.

Speaking for myself, I have zero chance of winning a Nation Title....we don't have the chops or experience and I know that. I also know I love to compete, and competing against the best teams is a good way to get better...so let's say I have a chance to compete in maybe 8 events a year, and there a contest 6 miles from my house with a max of 30 teams, and a payout of $10k. Why should I pass on that???

huminie
04-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Huminie....I get it bro I understand why made your desicion, you finished well out of the money and planned accordingly. Here the top 10 go, so 11th takes on a different meaning.

Well, hold on a second...I did place 3rd in Brisket and earn $250! I was in the money! LOL But ya, as 11th place I didn't really think I would get an invite, and I wasn't holding my breath for one. And at this point...I couldn't crack the top 10 of the local, why would I think I could crack it at the regional? It would be nice, and maybe a more experienced team with other wins under their belt who finished below me will like their chances better, but I just don't know.

Now I have to work on my game plan for Morgan Hill as this will be an even bigger challenge for this rookie team!

big brother smoke
04-27-2011, 02:22 AM
You know, I am not from California, and this place is a whole different animal (beyond BBQ), say what you want, but unless you live here or play here, you have absolutely no clue. I love California, but it has taken this mid-westerner years to understand it, and to that end, it is where I want and need to be!
You are not going to get an understanding of California over the interwebs!

YMMV! :thumb:

Bigmista
04-27-2011, 10:59 AM
You know, I am not from California, and this place is a whole different animal (beyond BBQ), say what you want, but unless you live here or play here, you have absolutely no clue. I love California, but it has taken this mid-westerner years to understand it, and to that end, it is where I want and need to be!
You are not going to get an understanding of California over the interwebs!

YMMV! :thumb:

You're still country though. With a California twist.

rocksbarbque
04-27-2011, 11:43 AM

We qualified but it would require us to close our business foe at least 2 extra days to go to LV. We were gonna go if we won (would of had the bankroll to close for a couple days) but that was a real real longshot.

Scottie
04-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Can't take Chi-town out of the man...

Muzzlebrake
04-27-2011, 12:35 PM
You're still country though. With a California twist.

you outed him, we saw the pics!

Scottie
04-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Trust me, I understand. When I had originally posted, I didn't realize that half the teams were backing out. Other info has come up as well. But i guess i just dont understand why teams didnt pull out their crystal ball to see the future. I chose my region because it fiy my dates and the final also fit my calendat. Will i make it? I hope so, but i made sure i didnt have a conflict. I also couldnt cook the contest that is 20 miles from my house because of work commitments. So I will have to drive5+ hours. I do thos for a shot at being called the National Champion. I can understand cost as being a reason. But then to say in the next sentence that I am cooking for the CBBQA TOY, which also doesn't pay a dime. That reason for not cooking the Sam's series looks weak.

Anyway it works. If I qualify, you can guarantee seeing cancersuckschicago.cim will be there.

We qualified but it would require us to close our business foe at least 2 extra days to go to LV. We were gonna go if we won (would of had the bankroll to close for a couple days) but that was a real real longshot.

riblette
04-27-2011, 12:45 PM
If I qualify, you can guarantee seeing cancersuckschicago.cim will be there.

Good luck, Scottie...go get 'em! :thumb:

rocksbarbque
04-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Trust me, I understand. When I had originally posted, I didn't realize that half the teams were backing out. Other info has come up as well. But i guess i just dont understand why teams didnt pull out their crystal ball to see the future. I chose my region because it fiy my dates and the final also fit my calendat. Will i make it? I hope so, but i made sure i didnt have a conflict. I also couldnt cook the contest that is 20 miles from my house because of work commitments. So I will have to drive5+ hours. I do thos for a shot at being called the National Champion. I can understand cost as being a reason. But then to say in the next sentence that I am cooking for the CBBQA TOY, which also doesn't pay a dime. That reason for not cooking the Sam's series looks weak.

Anyway it works. If I qualify, you can guarantee seeing cancersuckschicago.cim will be there.
The CBBQA TOY has nothing to do with our decision. We choose to compete in individual contests that we can compete in. We do not have any planned ambitions other then that. I do not underestimate what it takes to be a top level competitor it is just one of my ambitions. We go out cook the best we can, and have some fun. I constantly take heat from my friends that are more serious competitors for my level of commitment. I do love bbq and I am very lucky to be in the business. I need to do other things I enjoy also.

peace

RangerJ
04-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Money would be nice, no doubt, but I can get quite a bit of mileage ( and already have) out of saying, "I'm one of 30 teams entered in the local Sams BBQ Challenge" or "I'm one of 7 who advanced to Regionals" which I believe will equate to dollars in the long run. YMMV

So, you can rest assured I'll be there with a Pit I've competed on 3 times, hoping to produce my best product and hopefully place higher than I ever have in a KCBS competition, 7th. Should all the stars line up and that happens, I'll certainly be hooked up and headed to the regional.

Though, I will say a 4 hour drive is a bit more managable than some of the others, but I'd be hooked up and travelling no matter where it was. Hell, I'd even floated the idea past Jorge about Santa Fe as well when they had spots open.

Fishiest1
04-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Sadly, this thread reminds me of the rise and fall of the FLW redfish and kingfish tours.

Muzzlebrake
04-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Sadly, this thread reminds me of the rise and fall of the FLW redfish and kingfish tours.

can you fill in those of us that are unfamiliar?

Fishiest1
04-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Muzzlebrake,

These cookoffs seem to be structured in quite a simular way ie top heavy and there was a lot of travel involved. The first couple years of the FLWs there were also other sponsors ie if you had a yamaha and finished in the top 20 then they would also cut you a check. Then the economy went sour and gas prices went through the roof and these events that started out limiting the field at 150 teams in 2 years had a third as many. Yamaha and the other boat sponsors would only pay you contingency if you had a unit less than 2 years old.

Even though we were a sponsored team it was impossible in that market to flip a boat without taking it in the shorts so we ended up keeping the one we had. I think it was in 2005 we got 2nd in the redfish tour and we didn't even break even after Prefishing, hotels, gear, food etc.

So pretty much they both disolved back in 2008.

It would be nice if Stumps, Lang, Weber, BWS etc also added extra incentives to the teams who are willing to make the trip and place well. I mean its really not a lot for these guys to jump on board and throw something to the teams that are willing to take their product to a national event and compete with it. Some cash or discount on new product might go a long way. At that level the cooking teams should be teamed with their cookers builder and the builder should be able to do something for them if they make it high on the national stage.

JMO.

G$
04-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Honest question that I do not know the answer to:

Approximately when did KCBS competition cooking become "about the money or breaking even"? I know you'll have to generalize to answer. And heck, maybe the answer is "day 1".

Jorge
04-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Honest question that I do not know the answer to:

Approximately when did KCBS competition cooking become "about the money or breaking even"? I know you'll have to generalize to answer. And heck, maybe the answer is "day 1".

I think your answer varies from team to team. For the teams that do a couple of local events, and view it as a social event it's not that big of a deal. For a team that's willing to travel, and has made a larger investment it can be a lot more important.

If a team is looking at 10+ events, and some travel involved with those events, I can completely understand the desire or need to break even or come close to it. Costs for everything are up.... fuel, meat, disposable items.... It's not unusual to drop $1k or more for a contest, so you are looking at $10k plus for a 10 event season. If you start the season with less than $10k in the BBQ account, you are screwed if you don't bring something back in. And then there are the unforeseen events. Blown tires, destroyed canopies, dead generators. Those things can wipe out winnings, or disposable income for a lot of teams.

The fun tends to end for me, in any hobby, if I'm bleeding money to the point that it threatens my standard of living:icon_blush:

G$
04-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Do you think that previously, the average distance travelled to the average contest was shorter?

timzcardz
04-28-2011, 11:35 AM
The fun tends to end for me, in any hobby, if I'm bleeding money to the point that it threatens my standard of living:icon_blush:

Wife . . . . Check.

House . . . Check.

Kids . . . Check.

Kids' cars . . . Check.

Kids' college . . . .Check.

Sports cards and memorabilia . . . Check.

BBQ . . . . Check.

BLEEDING MONEY IS MY STANDARD OF LIVING! :thumb:

Fishiest1
04-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Kids' cars . . . Check.

Kids' college . . . .Check.

Now, that's gonna leave a mark!

Jorge
04-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Muzzlebrake,

These cookoffs seem to be structured in quite a simular way ie top heavy and there was a lot of travel involved. The first couple years of the FLWs there were also other sponsors ie if you had a yamaha and finished in the top 20 then they would also cut you a check. Then the economy went sour and gas prices went through the roof and these events that started out limiting the field at 150 teams in 2 years had a third as many. Yamaha and the other boat sponsors would only pay you contingency if you had a unit less than 2 years old.

Even though we were a sponsored team it was impossible in that market to flip a boat without taking it in the shorts so we ended up keeping the one we had. I think it was in 2005 we got 2nd in the redfish tour and we didn't even break even after Prefishing, hotels, gear, food etc.

So pretty much they both disolved back in 2008.

It would be nice if Stumps, Lang, Weber, BWS etc also added extra incentives to the teams who are willing to make the trip and place well. I mean its really not a lot for these guys to jump on board and throw something to the teams that are willing to take their product to a national event and compete with it. Some cash or discount on new product might go a long way. At that level the cooking teams should be teamed with their cookers builder and the builder should be able to do something for them if they make it high on the national stage.

JMO.

A good friend of mine says that when competition BBQ is more expensive than owning a boat, he'll buy a boat:becky: Having owned a boat myself, I tend to agree:wink:

Fishiest1
04-28-2011, 01:05 PM
A good friend of mine says that when competition BBQ is more expensive than owning a boat, he'll buy a boat:becky: Having owned a boat myself, I tend to agree:wink:

I hear ya! Have a boat, smokers, 5 kids, 2 chesapeake bay retrievers and a very patient wife! The fishing tournaments here in Florida started hurting and drying up at the same time I had done them for years already and was burnt out. My kids were starting to get older and we just had our twins so I really didn't have the time or inclination to go prefish a couple evenings a week and be gone all weekend. Now, I can just sit in the backyard, fire up the cookers, watch the kids in the pool, drink a cold one with the wifey and not miss a thing! Sorry about the derail!

Muzzlebrake
05-04-2011, 10:43 AM
so how many qualifiers wound up dropping out of the Regional?
How did they go about replacing those teams?

AZScott
05-04-2011, 10:59 AM
I don't know how many decided not to go to the regionals.

If a team decides not to go to the regional, an invite is extended to the next highest placing team from that local contest. I believe we have seen a few instances where the 11th - 13th place team has made it.

Muzzlebrake
05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
I don't know how many decided not to go to the regionals.

If a team decides not to go to the regional, an invite is extended to the next highest placing team from that local contest. I believe we have seen a few instances where the 11th - 13th place team has made it.

Thanks. I was looking at the results and thought that might have been the case. It looks like invites got to at least the 10th place team from all the Locals and 11th, 12th and 13th in 3 of them. Thats has to be a good feeling, thinking you are out then you are back in.

Good luck to everyone!

Bigmista
05-04-2011, 01:16 PM
You got that right!

fishinchef
05-04-2011, 01:38 PM

My boat has not left the garage since I started this BBQ journey, I can't afford 3 hobbies (including chasing women as I'm single!!!)

AZScott
05-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks. I was looking at the results and thought that might have been the case. It looks like invites got to at least the 10th place team from all the Locals and 11th, 12th and 13th in 3 of them. Thats has to be a good feeling, thinking you are out then you are back in.

Good luck to everyone!

Yep. Gilbert was the only one that only had one team drop so that made it to 8th place. The 9th and 10 place Gilbert finishers were lucky enough to get the wild card invitations. There's a lot of stress knowing you're on the bubble. You want to go so freaking bad but it's not a sure thing until they have ran your credit card.

Bigmista
05-04-2011, 03:19 PM
*thinking about leaving now and just sitting in the parking lot*

MrSmoker
05-04-2011, 05:08 PM
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

huminie
05-04-2011, 05:15 PM
I just want to say that I am really disappointed that I had to miss out on this. I would have loved nothing more than to be going toe to toe with this group of cooks. :boxing: What an honor that would have been.

Hopefully next year I will do better and not have the date conflict!

big brother smoke
05-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Go get them Mista!

Bentley
05-04-2011, 08:57 PM
*thinking about leaving now and just sitting in the parking lot*

I just got in this afternoon...Come on over there is room here at the house....:becky: