PDA

View Full Version : if you aint wrapping you aint winning

boogiesnap
04-21-2011, 06:11 PM
in regards to ribs, and foiling, is there any merit in this?

i suggest no.

Q-Dat
04-21-2011, 06:26 PM

i suggest no.

If I can find a way to keep the color on my ribs from getting too dark, I will probably never foil again. I just think they taste better without it.

Bentley
04-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I just like the way they come out using foil, personal choice.

whskyrnnr322
04-21-2011, 07:42 PM
For me, foiling ribs is a must, 45 minutes tops.

boogiesnap
04-21-2011, 08:28 PM
For me, foiling ribs is a must, 45 minutes tops.

why?

Podge
04-21-2011, 09:57 PM
why?

Why not? There's lots of advantages to foiling.

JD McGee
04-21-2011, 10:13 PM

Nope...:becky: Not if you cook 'em right...:boxing::thumb::cool::twisted:

boogiesnap
04-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Why not? There's lots of advantages to foiling.

sure, but that doesn't further the question at hand my friend.

let's not get all neitzsche.

Dallas Dan
04-21-2011, 10:32 PM
IMHO, it's all in the technique which you smoke/cook the ribs. There are merits for both sides. I've smoked/cooked them both ways with much success. But it took a lot of failures to find what works best.

boogiesnap
04-21-2011, 10:35 PM
thats along the lines of what i was thinking. thanks.:thumb:

IMHO, it's all in the technique which you cook them. There are merits for both sides.

Smokedelic
04-21-2011, 10:42 PM
If you're happy with how your ribs place at contests, why does it matter?

I bet there's as many different ways to cook ribs as there is chicken, pork butt, or brisket. The only way that really matters is the way that works for you.

Although...the fact that you ask the question leads me to think that you feel like your ribs could be better.

MilitantSquatter
04-21-2011, 10:43 PM
another option to consider that is somewhere in the middle is to make an open foil boat...

This allows you to put the meat side down in some pool of sugar/honey/juice/butter concoction that is the new flavor of the month... you get the benefit of a braise with less direct heat exposure for the full duration but also allows you to see/feel the ribs quicker if/when you open the pit to avoid them getting crushed and overcooked. Then at some point when ready to glaze you can flip in the open foil boat or remove foil from bottom altogether...

Meat Burner
04-22-2011, 12:19 AM
boog, why did you title this tread that way? Just curious what you know about foil or no foil for winning competitions. Nice question though.

TooSaucedToPork
04-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Tis the eternal question you are posting...
It always sparks an arguement amongst the BBQ Brethren

To Foil, or not to Foil, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to Foil
The Ribs and Butts to try and win fortune,
Or to take chance against a grill of troubles,
And by no foil end them? To foil, no foil,
No more; and by the foil to say we end
The heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks
That pig flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To foil, not to foil;
To foil, perchance to win – ay, there's the rub

Thank you...Thank you...
The 7:30 show is completely different than the 9:30 show!

Neil
Too Sauced To Pork BBQ

ammoore
04-22-2011, 08:56 AM
I agree...it is whatever works for you in the smoker you are using.
Do I like them without foil...Yes.....do I feel I can do that in my BWS without them getting too dark....NO.

Back when I was judging MBN contests I was doing a rib on-site and had a team tell me "Everyone out here foils, if they tell you they aren't they are lying." I think it is very prevelant in comps but I wouldn't go as far as to say "everyone" does it or that you can't win without it.

boogiesnap
04-22-2011, 09:02 AM
smokedelic- i'm not sure they could be better, really(at least practicing at home!)but rather different. and i don't foil.

vinnie-i realize the parkay/brown sugar/honey bath is FOTM, but is it now mandatory to
success(similar to cooking the thigh)?

neil-yes, it is the eternal question on here, BUT, it's not as broad and open a question as it usually comes up. i'm asking about foil in a specific situation for a particular result.

meatburner-i know nothing at all about foiling or not and winning competitions. i just wandered across a comp teams website and the statement was made by them.

personally, i don't foil at home or comp. i cook st. louis spares @ 300* for 3.5 hours on a wsm. the results at home are very satisfactory, unfortunately i haven't been able to recreate on-site so i can't truly evaluate my process in competition.

i just don't want to run out another recipe(like the wing)that while done well has little chance of success.

anyway, i'm just trying to compress my learning curve.
thanks for all the help!

i wouldn't even be able to muster middle of the pack if it wasn't for all y'alls help.
d.

Jacked UP BBQ
04-22-2011, 09:20 AM
We dont do the flavor of the month on our ribs. They come out just fine.

Q-Dat
04-22-2011, 09:39 AM
I think I remember hearing Mike Wozniak say on Greg Rempe's show that the only thing he cooks in foil anymore is Brisket. And as soon as he figures a way to consistently cook that without it he will stop using it on Brisket.

Ford
04-22-2011, 09:41 AM
For competition it helps. If you take the top 25 in ribs last year I'd bet 20+ foil. Now some cook slow and low and some hot and fast s time in foil varies.

I personally prefer no foil, misting with apple juice and no sauce but I know it doesn't win much.

Kosmo's Q
04-22-2011, 09:49 AM
another option to consider that is somewhere in the middle is to make an open foil boat...

This allows you to put the meat side down in some pool of sugar/honey/juice/butter concoction that is the new flavor of the month... you get the benefit of a braise with less direct heat exposure for the full duration but also allows you to see/feel the ribs quicker if/when you open the pit to avoid them getting crushed and overcooked. Then at some point when ready to glaze you can flip in the open foil boat or remove foil from bottom altogether...

Bingo, we have a winner! :eusa_clap

riblette
04-22-2011, 11:16 AM

To foil, perchance to win – ay, there's the rub

Thank you...Thank you...

Neil
Too Sauced To Pork BBQ

Ahhh...HAM-let

ique
04-22-2011, 11:21 AM

That sounds like an interesting method

Southern Home Boy
04-22-2011, 12:53 PM
I can cook good ribs w/o foil, but at a competition, I'm trying to eliminate as many variables as possible. With foil, I get more consistent cook times and results and I get to reserve the juices that would otherwise be sacrificed to the Fire Gods. I mix those juices with the glazing sauce for a little extra flavor kick.

But take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm hit and miss with Rib scores anyway.

rocksbarbque
04-22-2011, 01:17 PM
I think when you foil you have a little bigger window to work with as far as done ness. When you don't foil your ribs you have to be more diligent and get them off at the right time.

riblette
04-22-2011, 01:22 PM
I think when you foil you have a little bigger window to work with as far as done ness. When you don't foil your ribs you have to be more diligent and get them off at the right time.

What he said. He's dang near a genius, ya know.

For us, we'll do it if we have to. Then again, we are the masters of random precision. Our ribs are like snow flakes...no two are alike, and they are best cold.

Interesting topic! Thanks!

luckyduk
04-22-2011, 01:38 PM

But you must know your cooking times/temps in foil or they are overcooked very easily!!
I believe foil allows you to "time" your ribs a little better. I never foiled ribs in the past much, but had problems with correct doneness at times. I believe each rack of ribs cook differently.

Podge
04-22-2011, 03:13 PM
sure, but that doesn't further the question at hand my friend.

let's not get all neitzsche.

Well there's my big word for the day !!..

I reckon to further answer, what I mean is, is that with foiling,there are even more options. You can get extra flavors in there, and to be used to speed up the cook if you are behind. Do I think you HAVE to foil to win? No. But as another tool, to help you win, why be quick to disregard it? I foil everything for various reasons. I am in no hurry to get rid of it.

I kind of get the feeling there are people out there that think it's wrong to foil, and pride themselves in not foiling. Oh well, good for them, I guess. If they like their product without it, and win without it, more power to them. Not me, I foil the hell out of stuff.

Divemaster
04-22-2011, 03:24 PM

I reckon to further answer, what I mean is, is that with foiling,there are even more options. You can get extra flavors in there, and to be used to speed up the cook if you are behind. Do I think you HAVE to foil to win? No. But as another tool, to help you win, why be quick to disregard it? I foil everything for various reasons. I am in no hurry to get rid of it.

I kind of get the feeling there are people out there that think it's wrong to foil, and pride themselves in not foiling. Oh well, good for them, I guess. If they like their product without it, and win without it, more power to them. Not me, I foil the hell out of stuff.

I agree with what he said!!! Plus, how you going to keep all of that liquid smoke on there after ya boil them?

Ok, going to my room now.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Lakeside Smoker
04-22-2011, 03:50 PM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/lakesidesmoker/IMG_3452.jpg

Foil?? Never! :-D

Muzzlebrake
04-22-2011, 04:28 PM

To foil, perchance to win ay, there's the rub

Thank you...Thank you...

Neil
Too Sauced To Pork BBQ

Neil you still feeling the effects of 4/20 or what?:becky:

boogiesnap
04-22-2011, 06:07 PM

ah, now see, there is a very important nugget of info in there. :thumb:

and for what it's worth, i DO use foil. just not with ribs currently. i'm not against it nor judge it.

Podge
04-22-2011, 07:48 PM
I agree with what he said!!! Plus, how you going to keep all of that liquid smoke on there after ya boil them?

Ok, going to my room now.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

yup, Those judges liked that liquid smoke when i was 2nd in ribs at the Jack .

whskyrnnr322
04-22-2011, 08:28 PM
I've cooked ribs with and with out foiling, I think they come out just a little bit better with foil.

Muzzlebrake
04-22-2011, 10:13 PM
yup, Those judges liked that liquid smoke when i was 2nd in ribs at the Jack .

that happens a lot at contests without 100% CBJ's
:becky:

TooSaucedToPork
04-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Ahhh...HAM-let

Thank God somebody got it:becky:

Sledneck
04-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Foil rules, on the rare occasion i cook at home I foil as well

Podge
04-23-2011, 10:36 AM
that happens a lot at contests without 100% CBJ's
:becky:

They are "100% CBJ's".. but a lot of them are trained a couple days earlier, and it's their first contest to judge. Sounds familiar don't it? Like a lot of other contests with CBJ classes before hand.

tyotrain
01-07-2013, 07:47 PM
I can cook good ribs w/o foil, but at a competition, I'm trying to eliminate as many variables as possible. With foil, I get more consistent cook times and results and I get to reserve the juices that would otherwise be sacrificed to the Fire Gods. I mix those juices with the glazing sauce for a little extra flavor kick.

But take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm hit and miss with Rib scores anyway.

X2

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Bunny
01-07-2013, 07:52 PM

i suggest no.

Rich didn't wrap his ribs at a contest and took a 180. :heh:

Pappy Q
01-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Funny how folks are more concerned with what someone is doing vs what they are doing

boogiesnap
01-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Funny how folks are more concerned with what someone is doing vs what they are doing

typically those interested aren't doing quite as well as others. thus the interest. i see no problem with that.

i think it's called learning.

Eggspert
01-07-2013, 08:24 PM

To foil, perchance to win ay, there's the rub

Thank you...Thank you...

Neil
Too Sauced To Pork BBQ

Funny and witty.

Eggspert
01-07-2013, 08:30 PM
What he said. He's dang near a genius, ya know.

For us, we'll do it if we have to. Then again, we are the masters of random precision. Our ribs are like snow flakes...no two are alike, and they are best cold.

Interesting topic! Thanks!

Where do you guys come up with this stuff. HILARIOUS!!!

boogiesnap
01-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Rich didn't wrap his ribs at a contest and took a 180. :heh:

as i've progressed through my cooking journey, i realize i am nowhere near good enough a cook to produce a product, without wrapping, on time, with good color, tenderness, and deep flavor, without wrapping.

BKBBQ
01-07-2013, 08:46 PM
I dont foil i see alot of cooks doing it with the same liquids as everyone else. I try to use that to my advantage and have a turn in thats a little different.works sometimes and other times it does not. Every now and then i get lucky and cook that perfect unwrapped rib and i take first. I also cook hot and fast on the top shelf of a lang and not many around here do that soI guess im a little different. Great comments here from all.

Cloudsmoker
01-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Just curious ... Anyone wrap with paper?

wlbr45
01-08-2013, 08:35 PM
I have tried both..I have recently went to a Backwoods..aka water pan hold 5 gallons water....anyone out there foil with that..I would assume to keep the ribs from getting too dark??