PDA

View Full Version : Driving Many Mile Across Texas this Weekend

The Smokin Texan
04-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Heading to Refugio for my wife's family Easter party and after that I got to make the drive out to Dallas for work. Ill be takin 183 through Goliad and Luling up to Austin and onto I-35 to Dallas. Any suggestions for BBQ along that route will be helpful.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Central Market in Luling is a must. If you haven't eaten in Lockhart yet. Do a crawl at Smitty's, Black's and Kreuz's. Franklin's is getting great reviews in Austin.

chambersuac
04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Central Market in Luling is a must. If you haven't eaten in Lockhart yet. Do a crawl at Smitty's, Black's and Kreuz's. Franklin's is getting great reviews in Austin.

+1 for Luling and Lockhart - not sure about Austin.

The Smokin Texan
04-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Sounds good I will be passing through Luling at lunch time I will check it out

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Sounds good I will be passing through Luling at lunch time I will check it out

Most, if not all of these joints are lunchtime joints. Black's may be open a bit later, but they are all in the old german butcher shop tradition of pay-by-the-pound, served in butcher paper until the meat runs out tradition. Not open on Sunday generally speaking.

You can just sample a little at each place, starting pretty early at City Market, then a short drive up to Lockhart to hit all three for an extended lunch.

Franklin's just moved into an actual building from their vending rig, so they may be open for dinner now. You need to check websites to work out your battle plan.

But, well worth the effort.