PDA

View Full Version : Covington La Comp = Humble Pie

Q-Dat
04-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Brethren this one did not go nearly as well as the Slidell comp two weeks ago. I went from scoring in the 170's on Brisket to the 140's!

We did take 7th overall, but that was 7th out of 12 teams. Nothing scored the way we thought it would. We did get a 3rd in chicken , but the score was actually a little lower than our previous chicken.

Yep, Humble Pie!

bigdogphin
04-16-2011, 11:51 PM
If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Enjoy the journey to improvment.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Different judges, different day. Lower scores doesn't necessary mean your turn-ins were worse.

Alexa RnQ
04-17-2011, 12:49 AM
It happens! We've done back-to-back competitions at the same location, been a hero one day and zero the next! Only you will know how that particular entry stacked up against what you usually turn in, and that's all part of learning consistency.

jrbBBQ
04-17-2011, 02:38 AM
yeah, but 12 teams and a $7800 prize purse... how often does that happen!?!

Q-Dat
04-17-2011, 11:52 AM
I know without doubt what caused the drop in my Brisket scores. I added one ingredient to the rub. It was actually one that I had forgotten to use two weeks ago in Slidell and scored great with.

My taste scores were bad. There was a 5, a 6, and a couple of 7's. One judge gave a comment card saying that it had an unnatural taste. By sheer luck I got to meet her and I asked her what she meant. She said that she bit into a grain of something in the rub that filled her mouth with an odd flavor that she couldn't identify.

I went and grabbed my bag of Cumin and asked her to smell it. When she did her eyes opened wide and she said thats it without a doubt!!!

No more Cumin for me guys, unless I'm in a Chili cookoff!!!

ModelMaker
04-17-2011, 12:26 PM
As a rule cumin is a very off putting taste. A little dab will do ya.
Ed

Q-Dat
04-17-2011, 01:05 PM
As a rule cumin is a very off putting taste. A little dab will do ya.
Ed

It was the least ingredient in my Brisket rub. Now it is out!!!

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
04-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Q-Dat,

I judged at Slidell and Covington. One difference that i noticed is that Slidell had judges from all over the country whereas I believe Covington consisted of more relatively local judges. Also there were a ton of master judges(over 30 contests judged and at least one cook with a pro team) at Slidell and i believe we had one Master Judge and one judge completing her 30th judging in Covington. If you don't mind me asking what were your scores for the competition in Covington? Do you feel that your meat was cooked equally as well as your Slidell cook?
If your are cooking consistently and happy with the product, it may just be that you hit a less that favorable table for your flavor profile....keep your head up and cook consistent. Good Luck!

smalls65
04-17-2011, 02:38 PM
It happens..just shake it off and move to the next comp!!! :thumb:

Q-Dat
04-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Q-Dat,

I judged at Slidell and Covington. One difference that i noticed is that Slidell had judges from all over the country whereas I believe Covington consisted of more relatively local judges. Also there were a ton of master judges(over 30 contests judged and at least one cook with a pro team) at Slidell and i believe we had one Master Judge and one judge completing her 30th judging in Covington. If you don't mind me asking what were your scores for the competition in Covington? Do you feel that your meat was cooked equally as well as your Slidell cook?
If your are cooking consistently and happy with the product, it may just be that you hit a less that favorable table for your flavor profile....keep your head up and cook consistent. Good Luck!

I don't have my scores with me right now, but I will post them as soon as I do.

But everything was lower across the board. Even the chicken that we got third with this time scored lower than our 9th place chicken from two weeks ago. Other than the cumin in the brisket rub and turning in what I believed was a more properly cooked pork butt everything was the same as Slidell.

Bayou Boogie BBQ
04-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Enjoy the highs and learn from the lows. It's still a great weekend when you get a call. Don't look at how you finished, look at the scores for each category. That'll help you improve. It was a pleasure meeting ya'll this weekend. See ya in a few weeks.