PDA

View Full Version : Meat Inspection - Technical Question

HawgNationBBQ
04-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Need a technical question answered. I am heading to a large competition this weekend and half my team bailed on me. I am going to be cooking 3 of the 4 KCBS categories.

The question is this – am I able to prepare my meat (pork, brisket and chicken) prior to meat inspection? Specifically, can I trim the brisket and pork including skin prep and trimming of chicken thighs? I have no intention of injecting, marinating, brining or any of that. I just want to clean it early to relieve a little pressure on Friday. Thanks, Michael

smoke-n-my-i's
04-13-2011, 05:22 PM
yes, you can trim.... no injections, marinading, etc.... just trim.

HawgNationBBQ
04-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks smoke. Thats what i figured.

worthsmokin
04-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Why not do the 4th category?

HawgNationBBQ
04-13-2011, 07:06 PM
We are doing all four; my one remaining team mate will be taking care of the 4th.

Podge
04-13-2011, 07:32 PM
There are a lot of us, A LOT of us who do this pretty much by ourselves. Just sit down, get a game plan and don't worry about it. For the exception of my wife putting together the boxes on saturday morning, everything else is on me.. everything from going to 4 different stores, setting up the toy hauler, and even trimming/prepping meat (4 hours) on friday. It doesn't take a "Team" to do well at a contest, just a good game plan !

Hub
04-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Friday night is hectic enough without worrying about carving meat. In my experience, most teams do at least some trim before arriving at the site. In meat inspection we look only for quality, good storage and no spicing.

Also, there are lots of one and two person teams and they do very well if they are organized. Do a back-timed list of everything necessary in 30 minute intervals and follow it.

MoGreen
04-14-2011, 09:47 AM
The only thing hectic about Friday night is running out of beer. Trim in advance, party like hell, and light your fire about 4AM. Good luck.

HawgNationBBQ
04-14-2011, 11:55 AM
The only thing hectic about Friday night is running out of beer. Trim in advance, party like hell, and light your fire about 4AM. Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I’m good now. My big dilemma was where to fit in all of my drinking time on Friday. I got it covered. I had to make one big adjustment to my schedule -- im going with Jack instead of beer.

smoke-n-my-i's
04-14-2011, 08:08 PM
I usually trim mine on Thursday after I get home from work. All the rest is pretty much done before then, so just trim meat, package up, put in fridge.
Then Friday morning, put in cooler, ice down, throw in truck, make a big breakfast, coffee, and grab the last minute stuff and head out..... :thumb:

Smokenstein & monster crew
04-14-2011, 09:34 PM
There are a lot of us, A LOT of us who do this pretty much by ourselves. Just sit down, get a game plan and don't worry about it. For the exception of my wife putting together the boxes on saturday morning, everything else is on me.. everything from going to 4 different stores, setting up the toy hauler, and even trimming/prepping meat (4 hours) on friday. It doesn't take a "Team" to do well at a contest, just a good game plan !

I do all the work, Wife takes all the credit:becky: