PDA

View Full Version : My first Call...

YokeUp
04-12-2011, 12:55 PM
hey, I got my first call this past weekend and it was a doosey... 2nd Chicken in DeQuincy, LA.... there were some great cooks there, so I was humbled by the call.

As a rookie, I have to tell ya'll it was a huge thrill to get my product to that level. I have so much to learn and work on, but, knowing that some things are working is very cool. I have a ton of respect for those of you out there getting it done every week and hitting the top group all the time.

And I have to thank the great group of guys that helped, and are continuing to help me, along the way... Brian Lipps, TWayne, Un-yawn (Ron), Zee man, Mr. Jim and many others ...

Thank you and God bless you all... Look forward to many more cooking experiences....

now I'm hunting that first Grand.... :-D

Southern Home Boy
04-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Congratulations on the call, man! I remember my first call. I was stunned. I couldn't believe they'd actually called MY name... Awesome feeling though.

Cheers, and here's to many more for you!

Lake Dogs
04-12-2011, 01:12 PM
CONGRATS!!! Bad news though; you're probably hooked.

Rich Parker
04-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Congrats!

INmitch
04-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Congrats! Is that the same Un-yawn that cooked with Motley Que (sp) Crew @ N Little Rock last year?

Fishiest1
04-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Congrats!

Meat in the Middle
04-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Hey, I was at that cookoff and got my first call as well. It was only a 10th in Ribs, but it was a call. In my 2nd year now, and I seem to be comprehending this competition scene a little bit better than I did last year. But that 2nd Place Chicken you got was awesome. Anyways, we love your videos, and we'll see you down the road, I'm sure!

FamilyManBBQ
04-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Congrats!! It's a great feeling!! We were fortunate enough to hear our name a few times last year...each felt as good as the first!

Stoke&Smoke
04-12-2011, 01:57 PM
congrats!

JD McGee
04-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Congrats! Cheers to many more!

monty3777
04-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Congrats!!

Ron_L
04-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Congrats!

YokeUp
04-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Congrats! Is that the same Un-yawn that cooked with Motley Que (sp) Crew @ N Little Rock last year?
yep that would be the same Un-yawn.... Ron has been incredibly helpful along with Brian Lipps (Jack Daniels World Champion) and T-Wayne Abeshire.... lots of people have been great helps to the process so far.

smalls65
04-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Congrats!!!! may that be the 1st of many!!! :thumb:

speedrcer1
04-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey Big Time Congrats! ENJOY!

Now start thinking where to put that shelf. Make it low enough.. for taller items!:thumb:

Q-Dat
04-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Excellent work Brother!

Are you going to Covington this weekend?

gmholler
04-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Congratulations, Jeff!! And a 10th in brisket as well! Great job! I know these are just the first of many for you!

Lynn H.

bbqbull
04-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Congrats!!!

Podge
04-12-2011, 04:20 PM
sorry to hear about your call !.. Now it's going to cost you thousands of dollars !

YokeUp
04-12-2011, 04:20 PM

Congratulations, Jeff!! And a 10th in brisket as well! Great job! I know these are just the first of many for you!

Lynn H.

Lynn, thank you and I will always treasure your response when you realized I got the chicken call... It made me cry... God bless ya

rxcellentq
04-12-2011, 08:13 PM
congrats , hope you have many more.

worthsmokin
04-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Congrats! Best of luck to you and your team!

INmitch
04-12-2011, 10:28 PM
YokeUp. Podge was right. That's the most expensive thing ya ever did.:thumb: We were set up next to them in NLR..had a riot He's one of a kind. Still remember clear as a bell "Ya gotta drink a shotta this here Jack & say UN-YAWN":crazy::-D

INmitch
04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
N another thing. Ya gotta quit that cryin thing! My wife n buddies make all kinds of fun of me when I call my kids & n get all choked up when I tell them about a good call or two.:redface:

bigjonsBBQ
04-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Congratulations on the call, man! I remember my first call. I was stunned. I couldn't believe they'd actually called MY name... Awesome feeling though.

Cheers, and here's to many more for you!

Same for my 1st call, 2nd in Chicken. My friends on another team nudged me and were like get up there and get your trophy!! :becky:

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
04-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Didn't get a chance to tell you at the contest but Congrats Jeff!
Two top ten finishes. Now i can finally say I know how you feel being i got my first top ten there also in brisket. Its been a long road but it was worth it to take that walk!!!

Oh, and thanks for the alligator sausage and venison sausage Friday evening.

Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of guys down the road and hopefully hearing our numbers called many more times!!!

Clint

nukenight
04-13-2011, 12:07 PM
It was a pleasure to pull your ticket for the first time! Now the fun begins!

YokeUp
04-13-2011, 12:43 PM
N another thing. Ya gotta quit that cryin thing! My wife n buddies make all kinds of fun of me when I call my kids & n get all choked up when I tell them about a good call or two.:redface:

Who would have ever thought that BBQ would bring me to tears.... I love it!:boxing:

YokeUp
04-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Didn't get a chance to tell you at the contest but Congrats Jeff!
Two top ten finishes. Now i can finally say I know how you feel being i got my first top ten there also in brisket. Its been a long road but it was worth it to take that walk!!!

Oh, and thanks for the alligator sausage and venison sausage Friday evening.

Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of guys down the road and hopefully hearing our numbers called many more times!!!

Clint

Clint, Congrats to you as well, it was great to meet you and I can tell that you are a great guy to hang out with... you do the research and give me the bullet points... I loved, and incorporated the AuJus jar thing and looking forward to learning more together and moving up the laddar together. God bless ya.

jeff

YokeUp
04-13-2011, 12:49 PM
It was a pleasure to pull your ticket for the first time! Now the fun begins!

Dr. H.... I can tell, the tone has changed, I'm not just that wacked out Jesus freek who is a nice guy anymore....uh ohhhhh he can cook too.... LOL, Thanks again for all you guys do for us out there.:thumb:

Southern Home Boy
04-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Same for my 1st call, 2nd in Chicken. My friends on another team nudged me and were like get up there and get your trophy!! :becky:

I know, right? The thought actually went through my head, "You better go grab that thing before they change their minds...":wink: