PDA

View Full Version : Contest Help Needed

Big Mike's BBQ
04-11-2011, 12:12 PM
I am looking for some pig cooking help for some friends in Greenville, NC. It is for an apartment complex under the same management company that I work and they have been invited to participate in a pig picking contest at East Carolina State. They have some grilling experiance but could use some help doing the whole hog. I tried to get my boss to fly me out there for the good of the company but did not get very far with that. I am looking for someone local that might be able to give them some pointers and even a liitle help the day of the contest. Oh, and the contest is this weekend, so time is a big factor. TIA

Big Mike

HBMTN
04-11-2011, 03:46 PM
When is the competition? Oh I see never mind, I did not see the part at the end. I am at another competition or I would do it. I am about two hours away.

weatherman
04-11-2011, 11:50 PM
What competition is at ECU? Go Pirates lol

weatherman
04-11-2011, 11:52 PM
And what day this weekend?

smokeyw
04-12-2011, 07:44 AM
It is a NC Pork Council sanctioned event. It will be an all night Friday night cook with judging Saturday morning. Almost all will be cooking with gas and it is crucial that the skin is crispy when done. The pig will be judged on appearance, brownness, skin crispiness, moisture, meat and sauce taste, and completeness. Completeness refers to cook site and cook cleanliness, and required items for the judging: 4 knives, 4 sauce bowls, 4 glasses of water, 2 meat thermometers, and towels for the judges to wipe their hands (paper or cloth). The judging will be on-site. Some contests also do a blind taste. I'm not sure about this one. Here is their website http://www.ecupirates.com/ot/pig-out.html
This is what a NCPC contest pig should look like:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/smokeyws/IMG_1551.jpg

Big Mike's BBQ
04-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks smokeyw, that is a lot of help. I am trying to pass along as much info to them as I can. Hopfully they will put some money in the budget for me to go out there next year to help.

Big Mike

smoke-n-my-i's
04-12-2011, 07:34 PM
this weekend is also a KCBS event in Kings Mountain. Myself and lots of others are heading that way on Friday.... sounds like fun though.

Big Mike's BBQ
04-16-2011, 07:41 PM
wanted to let you know that they took 2nd in the showmanship and 5th in their division which had 21 teams, might have some future BBQers in the making here.
Thanks for the help.

Big Mike

Smokin Mike
04-17-2011, 12:54 AM
WOW! after seeing what smokeyw posted what is expected and how they place. Congrats!

(I will not complain about KCBS boxes,,,,ever, after seeing that)

smokeyw
04-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Congratulations to the team!! I had friends competing in this contest and they said everyone had a great time and got packed up and headed out before the weather got bad. I compete in quite a few contests in NC. It sounds like your co-workers may have been bitten by the competition bug. Let me know if they sign up for another one and I will look them up. There is actually one in Kinston NC the first weekend in May that also has a "backyard division" they can get into or they can enter the Pro Division if they feel they are ready.

wanted to let you know that they took 2nd in the showmanship and 5th in their division which had 21 teams, might have some future BBQers in the making here.
Thanks for the help.

Big Mike

Big Mike's BBQ
04-18-2011, 02:04 PM
I am not sure if they want to do any more contests right now. They were mainly doing this one for exposure for the apartment complex they work at. The real funny thing is that the cheif cook claims she is a vegatarian, although she likes bacon. but then again who doesnt like bacon. They also had some help from the team next door.
Thanks again for the help.

Big Mike

lcbateman3
04-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Hey Big Mike,

I would've loved to help, but I was already tied up that weekend. If they decided they want to do another and you can't get down let me know.