PDA

View Full Version : Cambro Question

RangerJ
04-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Purchased a Cambro off of Craigslist. Typically, Brisket and Pork would get wrapped with a towel, while in foil and into the cooler.

If I'm using a pan or sheet to hold with the cambro do I still need a towel or just foil over the top?

Thanks.

WhiskeyBentBBQ
04-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Just foil in. I don't see any need for a towel.

smoke-n-my-i's
04-10-2011, 04:31 PM
If it is a front load, we use a pan just so it doesn't leak into the bottom and leak out or have to be cleaned out.

If it is a top load, I always use a pan, for the same reason. I use a couple of towels if I use the top load, but don't really need it....

my $0.02 worth.

Dr_KY
04-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Pan no foil here.

thillin
04-10-2011, 05:52 PM
I use a pan and cover with foil.

woodwardbbq
04-10-2011, 09:09 PM
I used my new cambro for the first time and put a tray with two shoulder and a brisket in at nine am and at six pm they were still plenty hot and the pork was still as most as when I used meat at turn in time.No foil.

rxcellentq
04-10-2011, 09:15 PM
as a rule do you guys warm the cambo with hot water pan first or not?

Brewer
04-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Don't need a towel, Cambro's hold heat well. Rather than foil, I like regular butcher paper (red or white) on top of my steamer pans. It breaths a bit and helps maintain bark.

Brewer
04-10-2011, 10:40 PM
as a rule do you guys warm the cambo with hot water pan first or not?

I've used a steamer tray full of river rock brought up to temp in a kettle and covered in foil to pre-heat and hold temp. Works well.

Chipper
04-11-2011, 06:56 AM
If it's a cool morning, then yes a pan of hot water a 1/2 hour prior to adding meat. Once the butts and or brisket is in it stays hot. And we pan with foil only.

Dr_KY
04-11-2011, 06:59 AM
We have flat lids for the pans so if we have pre sliced for service we use them rather then foil, it looks nicer.

Jorge
04-11-2011, 09:03 AM
No towels, and if you are adding a couple of butts and a couple of briskets keep in mind that they can continue to cook with that much heat load in a small sealed area.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
04-11-2011, 10:38 AM
No towels, and if you are adding a couple of butts and a couple of briskets keep in mind that they can continue to cook with that much heat load in a small sealed area.

I leave the door cracked on mine for that reason.

riblette
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Wrapped and put in pans over here.

I have used a couple (foil wrapped) hot bricks to pre-heat but only if itís really cold out, and Iím not stuffing much meat in the thing.

A better use for your towel may be to cover the Cambro if itís sitting in the sunÖI left mine in the back of the truck one day (empty) and the exterior got so hot it buckled and almost cracked :redface:. Itís a black oneÖif I get another one Iíll try for a lighter color, for that reason.

Good luck!

luckyduk
04-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Foil meat and put in cambro here

A better use for your towel may be to cover the Cambro if itís sitting in the sunÖI left mine in the back of the truck one day (empty) and the exterior got so hot it buckled and almost cracked :redface:. Itís a black oneÖif I get another one Iíll try for a lighter color, for that reason.

Good luck!

I believe I may have had something similar happen to mine....the top and bottom of my doors are bent outwards and the middle is sucked in...bad enough to where the gaskets are not touching.....I noticed this at Pleasant Hill couple weekends ago!!!

Divemaster
04-12-2011, 11:14 AM
I use our as a cooler first (with ice on top) and once one is empty (we use two of the 400's) it gets warmed up with hot water to stor the meat when it's ready.

Oh, and yes, we foil.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

esselle
04-12-2011, 01:18 PM
This is probably why my last brisket was perfect coming off the cooker then over cooked after 2 hours in double foil and towelled in the cambro!

early mornin' smokin'
04-12-2011, 02:46 PM
If you're going to cambro your comp meat make sure you pull them at least 5 degrees less than what your final temp should be, the carry over cooking of a cambro is something you can't avoid.

esselle
04-12-2011, 02:58 PM
If you're going to cambro your comp meat make sure you pull them at least 5 degrees less than what your final temp should be, the carry over cooking of a cambro is something you can't avoid.

Not even if you vent it before you put it in the cambro?

early mornin' smokin'
04-12-2011, 03:47 PM
you can vent it all you want, but once you put the meat in there, unless you're leaving the door open, or opening it every 10 minutes the food's only going to lose a degree or 2 of temp an hour.

esselle
04-13-2011, 02:44 AM
But if you vent it will it still rise in the cambro?

Dr_KY
04-13-2011, 03:41 AM
Yes, that little cap on the door is to help give the steam somewhere to go.I suppose you could take the gasket off the door. Remember you should only be holding for a max of four hours.

For those gigs that are further away you are going to have to cool the meat down and reheat on site so just factor this into the price.
Vac suck it all, get it to cold storage temps, and place in the COLD /iced Cambro. Then bring your boiler ring, big pot and get it up to temp there then hold in HOT Cambro if you must.

Here is the temp chart from Cambro...

esselle
04-13-2011, 04:07 AM
Cheers Al ;)