PDA

View Full Version : Comp Meats

motoeric
04-08-2011, 12:32 AM
How long can you leave your pork butts and brisket in the fridge prior to a comp? 1 day? 3? A week?

Eric

Q-Dat
04-08-2011, 12:59 AM
Brisket should be fine for a long time as long as its in the cryo pack.

With pork and chicken you want to go by the dates strictly.

Fatback Joe
04-08-2011, 08:43 AM
I usually pull from the stock pile in the basement freezer and give them close to a week to thaw in the fridge.

early mornin' smokin'
04-08-2011, 09:27 AM
I try for the freshest butts I can find, and the brisket I like to get 3-4 weeks ahead of time and keep it in the basement fridge.

Capn Kev
04-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Brisket can age for up to 30 days in the cryopac, chicken and pork I like to cook it as close to the kill date as possible. Fresher = better with pork and chicken. :thumb:

Rub
04-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Like the others have said, brisket can go for a while (3 weeks +) as long as the cryovac is not broken. My butcher says IBP guarantees freshness for 21 days past the pack date on the case, but the fresher the better IMO.

Jeff_in_KC
04-08-2011, 03:21 PM
As long as my cryovac is sealed, I usually get 45 to 50 days on my briskets. Pork, I like to be about a full week from kill date before I cook it to allow for the rigor to reduce to relax the muscles. Was told by a butcher it takes about four to five days to get pork to it's best condition to cook. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea. So I just go that route anyway to be sure.

Big Sticky
04-08-2011, 03:29 PM
As long as my cryovac is sealed, I usually get 45 to 50 days on my briskets. Pork, I like to be about a full week from kill date before I cook it to allow for the rigor to reduce to relax the muscles. Was told by a butcher it takes about four to five days to get pork to it's best condition to cook. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea. So I just go that route anyway to be sure.

I agree I've kept lots of brisket 50 days. They are not slimy or smelly.

jbrink01
04-08-2011, 03:41 PM
A little stinky is good. It's OK on briskets too.........:icon_blush:

worthsmokin
04-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Pork I buy for comps a few days before. Brisket you can wet age up to 45 days then freeze. If you wet age you need to know the kill date (pack date) and the only way get that is on the case it came from.

If you wet age put it in a fridge that don't get used much. Need to maintain a fridge temp of 36-38 degrees