PDA

View Full Version : Bricks and Mortar? (Long)

jbrink01
04-07-2011, 04:27 PM
You guys know we cater a bunch. We have a couple of expansion opportunities and I'd like your feedback..........you may have no idea where Washington MO is, so comments on the concept only are great. The Labadie / Biker thing is LITERALLY turn key. All I have to bring is my smoker and the place is mine for $1,000 a month with a full kitchen and bar. There is a powerplant nearby and a THRIVING fine dining place. My buddies wife had a wine bar in it that failed.

Will people get tired of BBQ if they get it regularly near my current every other week vending spot? Would it be more of a treat for them to drive 20 minutes to a quaint spot or out of a trailer on a lot like we do now?

Ashmont
04-07-2011, 05:00 PM
I need to ponder this and I do know where Washington Missouri is located... hehe

landarc
04-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I think if there is a difference in the experience, there is definitely a possibility that you will get both old and new customers. I assume you are talking sit down, nice ambiance, some table service etc...

My experience that a lot of people do not get tired of a consistent menu with food that they like a lot. I think BBQ fits into that concept quite nicely. It can take time though.

jbrink01
04-07-2011, 07:02 PM
I think if there is a difference in the experience, there is definitely a possibility that you will get both old and new customers. I assume you are talking sit down, nice ambiance, some table service etc...

My experience that a lot of people do not get tired of a consistent menu with food that they like a lot. I think BBQ fits into that concept quite nicely. It can take time though.

Turn of the century building, wraparound porch, big deck, indoor seating for 30, galley kitchen with convection oven, fridge, freezer, panini press, pizza oven, sinks, plates, glasses, tables, chairs, parking for 16 cars plus a bank across the street, whole deal. Place to park one of my pits near the kitchen door and have it visible to the lot. Paved lot. Beer cooler, all appliances top quality and new. Folks that re-habbed it have money and went first class. Hardwood floors, exposed beams, subtle colors. A dream come true if you ask me, and they will do a 6 month lease to see if it takes off. 30 minutes from St. Louis, on a scenic 2 lane, near several antique shops. Owner of antique shop says we will kill (we cater for her, so she may be biased). I put a note out to my "people" to see how hard it will be to fill our work schedule and maintain our catering activity.

landarc
04-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Man, that does sound good, especially the 6 month lease

jbrink01
04-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Man, that does sound good, especially the 6 month lease

It's hard not to say yes at this point......I'm gonna go look at it again tomorrow.

worthsmokin
04-07-2011, 09:59 PM
It sounds good, especially with the 6 month lease. If you think the traffic is there from the powerplant and the road, which it sounds like it is with the thriving restaurant and you think you can make it work go for it. I hope it all works out for you.

Trucky1008
04-08-2011, 12:06 AM
I think it sounds like a great opportunity! As long as it doesn't prevent you from having your BBQ/Catering Class this year... :-P

jestridge
04-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Actually it might help your catering business. But on the other side of the coin lot of restruants don't make it.

timzcardz
04-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Why did the wine bar fail?

And is that reason at all applicable to your business?

Ashmont
04-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Any pics of the site?

jbrink01
04-08-2011, 10:11 AM
http://www.trulia.com/property/3033421600-105-Front-1000-Lease-St-Labadie-MO-63055

Here is the listing. The wine bar gift thing was a hobby place for my friends wife after she lost her job. She got another job.

ThomEmery
04-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Interesting deal
Where will the smoker go?

Malarkey
04-08-2011, 11:20 AM
we were in Mexico Mo yesterday at lunch time and the small Bbq place there was fairly busy, meaning the parking lot was full and the restaurant was 2/3 full. I know Washington is a lot bigger than Mexico but I would think that unless there is another BBQ place there that seems like an awfully tempting offer.
Good luck on your decision and let us know what you decide, we travel that way quite a bit and are always looking for a new place to eat, especially good barbecue.

jbrink01
04-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Interesting deal
Where will the smoker go?
There is a set of stairs off the porch next to the kitchen door. Out there.

jbrink01
04-08-2011, 11:34 AM
we were in Mexico Mo yesterday at lunch time and the small Bbq place there was fairly busy, meaning the parking lot was full and the restaurant was 2/3 full. I know Washington is a lot bigger than Mexico but I would think that unless there is another BBQ place there that seems like an awfully tempting offer.
Good luck on your decision and let us know what you decide, we travel that way quite a bit and are always looking for a new place to eat, especially good barbecue.

We have a Bandanas, and it SUCKS. Not very busy. I do more on a Saturday vending then they do in 2 Saturdays.

Ashmont
04-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Ambiance is for winner! There is a Place in Kirkwood that is a Highend resturant that is run out of a house. Cant remember the name off hand. Oh Wait Citizen Kane's I would think you could run catering out of there as well. I think I would not limit to BBQ but it be on the main for front. Big enough for private parties too... Are youi going to sell Liquor?

jbrink01
04-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Ash - Beer and wine.

Big Sticky
04-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Give me the number I'll do it. Just kiddin. I think you ought to do it. You going to give up your job?
Washington is bigger than Troy I get a lot if repeat business. Lots of traffic through Washington also. Lots of up side.

meatinc
04-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Sounds like your initial concern was "will people get tired of BBQ if they already get it from me every other week".

Seems like this is an opportunity to create a different menu / style using the same base ingredients that has already made you a hit. You don't have to stray too far out of your comfort zone to modify portions of the menu to add some change while still keeping the basic BBQ that is already a hit.

I see bbq pizza and panini's in the future as an example. This might be a little too left coast for your area but you get the idea.

A store front like this is also an opportunity to start selling your sauce and rub. The commercial kitchen on site will allow for bottling that stuff up without the cost of using a commercial kitchen off site. If it goes good, then you can get it co-packed and you have another revenue stream. It will also get it off the ground where you might not be thinking of it vending - then it adds to the vending business as well.

Plus the vending will drive business to the store and the store will drive business to catering.

jbrink01
04-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Meat - I like the way you think. We've been toying with menu options, and we do think it will open up some catering opportunities, as the building is 20 miles away and serves a different / new market!

Hoosier Chef
04-09-2011, 02:18 AM
That is a great opportunity. I'd jump on it, especially with a six month lease. If it fails, you won't be out a ton. It is one of those deals that if you don't take it, you'll always wonder if it would have worked. I don't know about you, but I don't walk away from stuff like that. I hate regret. If you do it, I'd love to read about your experience. Start a thread.

Jeff Hughes
04-09-2011, 10:33 AM
What happens to the rent rate after 6 mos?

jbrink01
04-09-2011, 06:22 PM
What happens to the rent rate after 6 mos?

I can lock the rate in, but I'll need to commit to 2 1/2 years.

Mo-Dave
04-09-2011, 07:56 PM
I really like Washington, my youngest daughter is a music teacher and Labadie is one of the 3 schools she teaches at. So if you do this thing and it sounds like you mite, I will be looking forward to stopping in sense we always go out to eat when there. Next time were up I will try to find your roadside place if the timing is right and you don't have this place going yet, good luck.
Dave

Mo-Dave
04-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Just talked to my daughter and she said there is a trailer rig selling bbq by Aldies, would that be you by chance?
Dave

jbrink01
04-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Just talked to my daughter and she said there is a trailer rig selling bbq by Aldies, would that be you by chance?
Dave
No, that guy is not good. We set up just west of town by the industrial park. Bluff Rd. and Hwy 100. There is a ZX station there.

Cook
04-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Couple of questions that have been skipped so far in the thread:

1) Are the Missouri and local health officials ok with you using your pit for regular bbq service at a restaurant? I don't know that's why I'm asking.

2) Are the Missouri and local health officials ok with you cooking bbq "outside the back door"...with your pit just sitting out there in the open? Again, I don't know...that's why I'm asking.

The rent and 6mos. sounds great. Gives you an exit strategy.

jbrink01
04-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Couple of questions that have been skipped so far in the thread:

1) Are the Missouri and local health officials ok with you using your pit for regular bbq service at a restaurant? I don't know that's why I'm asking.

2) Are the Missouri and local health officials ok with you cooking bbq "outside the back door"...with your pit just sitting out there in the open? Again, I don't know...that's why I'm asking.

The rent and 6mos. sounds great. Gives you an exit strategy.
Yes and Yes. We are HD compliant now, and my pit is UL / NSF.

thetazzbot
04-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Speaking from experience, running a brick and mortar is far different than a hobby.

Wife and I had a business, and drowned in the never ending paperwork, insurance, bills, utilities, vendors, A/c breaking down, etc.

FYI everything in that building, on that building, or attached to it is your responsibility when it breaks.

And forget about vacations. And I hope you like working 5am to 11pm :) Cuz brother it sucked!

sorry for the downer tone of my post, but reality is reality. don't get blinded by the promise of profit.

jbrink01
04-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Been catering for years, I get the hard work thing. Signed the lease this week. Open May 21.

PCDoctor_1979
04-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Congrats!! I wish you all the best.

Big_Alvin
04-22-2011, 07:40 PM
congrats Jbrink01 - best of luck in your new venture.

gsmith
04-22-2011, 08:23 PM
good luck to you on your new venture - I hope it all works out for you

parrdist
04-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Congrats on your new adventure, I'll be one of your first customers

jbrink01
04-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks Guys!!!!

worthsmokin
04-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Good luck, they will be ready to try that GC product :clap2:

nthole
04-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Good luck Jeff! I'll be in Denver that weekend, or would come for the opening! Hopefully we can come by the following week and check it out.