PDA

View Full Version : I think it will happen this year!

HBMTN
04-07-2011, 01:42 PM
HARD RAIN at a competition for me for the 1st time :sick: I have been pretty lucky thus far with no rain at a competition so I'd like to see your competition rain pictures and stories to prepare myself.

luckyduk
04-07-2011, 01:49 PM
No rain.....not sure what that is like. About every contest in Iowa I went to last year had some sort of rain/wind/storm.....Marshalltown sticks in mind as one of the worst, imagine small lakes in some of the sites. Then there was the one where my tables were getting washed along the curb from the downpour.

I learned a good trick from Ron L., buy some cheap tarps and cover the ground where you walk (by tables,cookers,etc....) saves a muddy mess and you can toss when done if want.

Ron_L
04-07-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm hoping for a couple of competitions without hard rain :-D

Tarps on the ground do help, but they can create puddles, so a broom to sweep the water off of the tarp is a good idea.

We've been through torrential rains, floods, gale force winds and at lest a couple of tornado warnings. So far no serious damage to us or our stuff. i think the worst was Elk Grove Village, IL a couple of years ago. It rained hard for a couple of hours during setup, then stopped. The water drained and everyone set up. Then the creek nearby came over it's bank and a lot of teams were forced to move. All of the vendors were flooded out. The story and pictures are in this thread, starting on page 5.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62509&highlight=elk+grove&page=5

ammoore
04-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Last year at Glasgow MO was the WORST.

Vexter has some pics on his H*QUE web site.
Look at the pics with the pop up camper.
That unfortunate SOB is none other than me.....

http://hque.us/hque/?page_id=3&album=SmokinOnTheRiver

rip
04-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I would highly recommend one of these rv mats. I use mine in all weather. They are light weight and wash off easily at home. They let the rain go through. Now if you are in a muddy area you might want some tarps. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/reversible-checkered-racing-patio-mat-with-bonus-door-mat/36070

Ron_L
04-07-2011, 02:32 PM
We picked up one of those on Sunday, Rip. Not checkerboard, but the same mat.

Sawdustguy
04-07-2011, 03:40 PM
HARD RAIN at a competition for me for the 1st time :sick: I have been pretty lucky thus far with no rain at a competition so I'd like to see your competition rain pictures and stories to prepare myself.

At the Merrimac Rock and Ribfest one year it rained so hard they had to get some rigs out with tow trucks. The worst I have seen it was at one of the Battle of the BBQ Brethren contests at Sayville. I also understand there were a host of canopies and sites damaged at New Paltz one year. If it rains that hard the only thing you can do is pray it stops.

Southern Home Boy
04-07-2011, 03:43 PM
No pictures, but last year at Hazelwood we had tornado sirens going off while we were turning in Brisket.

Apparently, a tornado went through the area just a few miles south of the comp. Besides the tornado, though, it rained off and on all Friday evening and night.

At Wildwood in September last year, it rained all night too.

Come to think of it... I've only cooked one competition that it DIDN'T rain...:rolleyes:

Todd Ras
04-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I remember Raytown from last year when we had 3" of water in our WSM and couldn't get chicken done on time. I have never seen rain come straight from the side like that. We had guys with umbrellas and rain gear trying to keep the smokers dry. I don't think we had a totally dry contest at all last year.

crd26a
04-07-2011, 05:50 PM
I remember Raytown from last year when we had 3" of water in our WSM and couldn't get chicken done on time. I have never seen rain come straight from the side like that. We had guys with umbrellas and rain gear trying to keep the smokers dry. I don't think we had a totally dry contest at all last year.

That was a fun one, esp as we had the drain running through our site. We had a team hook into our generator as power went out and they had a trager they were trying to get turnins done.

Rain's the #1 reason I'm thrilled I went with a insulated cooker. The big thing on setup is always ask yourself what will need to come down in a hurry if the sh*t hits the fan. With a trailer, we reevaluated how often we'd put up a EZUP. It's pretty rare I've got it up now.

Coz
04-07-2011, 06:11 PM
It has rained so much since we built our last cooker she has been named Rainmaker ! Our first contest there tornados all around, seems when we are anywhere near home it pours down rain.

Ford
04-07-2011, 06:47 PM
2008 q for the kids outside terre haute IN. 10.5 inches between 5 pm Friday and 7 am Saturday. Lots of tractors to pull people out. I70 closed eastbound Saturday. A lot of us camped out Saturday night. Great party.

jbrink01
04-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Bought a toyhauler due to all the rain last year...........

Dan - 3eyzbbq
04-07-2011, 07:55 PM
My favorite was when I had to dig a trench with a shovel to drain my site at 1:30am in Upper Marlboro. Thanks to Sal for the shovel and George from WATG for the broken broom :icon_blush:

Or at my first comp at Salisbury where we had 4" of rain and I had 1 leaky 10x10 with no sides. It was like chinese water torture!

Or at New Holland 2 years ago when I "borrowed" wood chips from the playground to fill my site up with.

Or........

Just too many stories :-P

CBQ
04-07-2011, 09:58 PM
The worst I have seen it was at one of the Battle of the BBQ Brethren contests at Sayville.

Just one, or every one? :becky:

Sayville 2008: Cold front came through at night. 40 degrees, 50mph winds, rain going sideways, power out, 6 inches of water deep in most sites.

Sayville 2009: Less wind, still all sites flooded, 110 power down to 32 volts. Hooked up 6 teams to my RV generator.

Got calls both times, so can't complain. :icon_shy

The 2008 aftermath:

Contracted Cookers
04-07-2011, 10:07 PM
big creek have some great photos of first year at jeff city

Lion Bout The Q
04-08-2011, 08:18 AM
We were at Glassgow last year, but were on top of the hill, so we were ok. The one that sticks out for me was taylorville 3 or 4 years ago. tornados on both sides of us, everyone held up in a fair grounds building for 3 hours..

Ceedubya
04-08-2011, 05:34 PM
We survived the monsoon at the first Mesquite Nevada in '09. That was the one on the first episode, first season of Pitmasters. We lost both of our canopies, while saving our neighbors. everything was soaked, zero sleep, and it left as fast as it came.

HBMTN
04-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Anyone remember that old movie with Morgan Freeman in it? I think the name of it may have even been "Hard Rain". I just have this feeling I'm in for something like that at a competition, they bring a boat by and pick me up and row to the turn in table.

jrbBBQ
04-09-2011, 08:14 PM
My first year competing, my second contest and we had quarter size hail and I watched a few ez-ups get destroyed at about 6 am this morning in Sikeston, Mo. I guess that means I'm offcially a competitive BBQ'er.

paydabill
04-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Ok - if you do not to be in a competition with rain you need to stay away from our team. Ever since Brian joined my team, nothing but rain.

However the worse - Sedalia 2005, I beleive it rained all night, a down pour. Everything was flodded. Then at 6:30 came what was claased as a strait wind of 50 mph came through. EZ ups were destroyed, cookers knocked over, even main poles on tents were twisted and bent. Cried for about 1/2 hour after fishing one of my pork butts out of the river, and then put my ribs on.