PDA

View Full Version : Going to Charlotte NC in May

SmokinCoyote
04-06-2011, 07:18 PM
My son got his Make-A-Wish trip finally granted. His wish was to meet Guy Fieri and we are going to be in Charlotte NC May 17th thru 19th to watch his road show on the 18th and hopefully get to meet him. We should get to. I doubt Make A Wish would send us all that way just to sit in an auditorium and watch him on stage.

Anyway, while there I would like to try a Q-joint that is a good representation of that region. We rarely get a chance to travel and this will probably be our only chance to be in that part of the country so I don't want to go to one of them big chain bbq places but would love to try a small smokey "real" place. Can anybody recommend a good old place for us to try?

SirPorkaLot
04-06-2011, 08:00 PM
First off congrats to the kid for his wish coming true.

I can recommend several different places depending on how much time you have there.

The best of the best is a little out of the way place outside of Lexington, NC called Cooks BBQ
(about an hour outside of charlotte)

For right inside Charlotte, Macs Speedshop is a good bet, and about 30 minutes west of Charlotte is Bridges BBQ in Shelby

Best of luck to you and yours!

Sammy_Shuford
04-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Congrats on the wish and safe travels.

wnkt
04-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Congrats on the trip, you all should have a blast. My niece got a trip to Paris ( not Texas....France :-D ) That is a great organization.

Mad About Que
04-07-2011, 07:57 PM
congrats.. PM me and i'll give you my number. i'll show you around some joints. If you want really good NC style bbq.. stay out of lexington! haha. in charlotte best "joint" is bill spoons. chopped whole hog. there are a few that are definite NO's. Macs (on a good day) is good... best "snooty bbq" is Jim and Nicks. Corporate pork, but real good.

hell, swing by the house and well throw some ribs on... better than you can get in town.. even up in lexington.. =)

SmokinCoyote
04-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will definatly look into the ones that were mentioned. I don't know our plans yet or what make a wish has in store for us yet but I am hoping we get a little time to try a place or two. I don't want to travel that far and not try something.

brownkw
04-09-2011, 01:11 PM
For joints in the immediate Charlotte area, I would definitely recommend Bill Spoon's (eastern Carolina style whole hog) as well as Mac's Speed Shop. I was terribly disappointed in the ribs at Jim 'n Nicks (dry, overcooked). If you're willing to venture out a bit, I also recommend Bridges' Barbecue Lodge in Shelby (30-45 minutes west).

DLR
04-19-2011, 06:50 PM
That is so cool for your son. Wish I could offer some suggestions on the Q joints here,but after living here 34 yrs I hate to admit that I have rarely eaten any of the Q. I have heard MACs is good and I have eaten at Spoons,but that was many years ago. According to a few articles I've read since the DNC is coming is that this really isn't a very good place for good bbq. I really need to get out more.