PDA

View Full Version : Ribs turn in box looking or critic ..thanks .

SmokinGuitarPlayer
04-06-2011, 05:27 PM
We're getting ready for the competition season and we're thinking of cooking spares this year ...always did babybacks before ... here is box from today's practice session. Perhaps I can get some comments as to the look of the meat and the box in total. All criticism and comments appreciated...thanks in advance.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m532/patkline9999/PICS%20POSTED%20TO%20FORUMS/RIBBOX4-6-11.jpg

carlyle
04-06-2011, 05:40 PM
I would sure look forward to tasting these.

Basically I like what I see here.

Suggestions:
Sauce, rub, glaze looks uneven to me . It does detract from appearance.

Arrangement of ribs in the box looks kind of awkward. I wonder if partially overlapping double rows of ribs might work better. Either horizontal or vertical? It looks like they are low in the box, so there may be room to do this without smearing the lid of the box when you close it.

Of course we can only evaluate appearance with a picture.

Just my opinion.

SmokinGuitarPlayer
04-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks ...they were not low in the box ...they were THICK and I was afraid they were gonna hit the lid ... I squashed the garnish as best I could...no way I could put 2 layers .. I even had a couple of more good looking ribs to put in for the table captain etc. but no where to put them ...

that being said ...does SIZE of the "servings" matter? In other words, I could have sliced them "tighter" with less meat and gotten more "servings" in the box ... which is better? (extra "servings" or bigger pieces)

the "blotchy" glaze ... I think that is the meat / fat under the glaze ..is that what you are talking about? the different colored areas?

Can anybody tell me how to avoid this ....the meat on top of the ribs just sort of split. They were not overdone ..actually they were friggin perfect I WISH I could nail them at a comp like I did today ...

anyway ..any more comments / critiques appreciated.

Arlin_MacRae
04-06-2011, 06:13 PM
The new judge sez:

I don't like the different colors and that yellow just looks unappetizing...

Sorry to be blunt, and your mileage may vary!

Arlin

SmokinGuitarPlayer
04-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I do not mind "blunt" ...thanks for the good comments..
FB

Southern Home Boy
04-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Funny, I thought the color and glaze were perfect.

I agree that the arrangement looks a little awkward, but the very full box almost makes up for it.

Did you STL trim the spares or are they full bone and tip? If they're full, I'd trim 'em down. That would allow you to do two over-lapping layers of three or four.

Appearance-wise, I'd score it a really strong 8 - maybe a 9 depending on what else I'd seen.

SmokinGuitarPlayer
04-06-2011, 06:34 PM
They were trimmed to St. Louis cut. They were not overly long ...very average I think ... perhaps my practice boxes are too small ..... anyone have inside dimensions of the box ..say on the bottom or at the edge?
FB/SGP

HawgNationBBQ
04-06-2011, 06:50 PM
They look great and would love to taste them. So if I had to find something out of place, I would say:

To me the ribs look jammed in the box. I would go three and three or four and two.
It looks like you have a hanger on the front rib.

AZScott
04-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Typically it's a 9x9 box.

ClayHill
04-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Ill throw my 2cents in....

The fat really takes my eyes off the meat, try triming that heavy layer down next time. It could also be the yellow color thats doing it, could be the picture as well, I dont know what sauce or glaze your using but it does little to tone it down.

I know this shouldnt matter(but it does), think of your garnish as a picture frame for your meat, try to arange it so there's an even border of garnish around the meat

Capn Kev
04-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Bluntly speaking...

Color is unappealing. Reminds me of curried ribs. The "tiger" pattern on some of the ribs is also not going to score you points. It looks like some of those ribs have "shiners" (exposed bone in the middle). Those will be the last ribs picked from the box. Find others if you can even if you can't get them from the same rack. I'd give them a 7 in presentation.

CBQ
04-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Too much exposed fat on the 3 left ribs, makes the ribs look uneven in appearance. The one in front seems to be shorter and wider than the others.

Meatier ribs are probably better than more ribs, but you have to make them look alike.

Smokenstein & monster crew
04-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Bluntly speaking...

Color is unappealing. Reminds me of curried ribs. The "tiger" pattern on some of the ribs is also not going to score you points. It looks like some of those ribs have "shiners" (exposed bone in the middle). Those will be the last ribs picked from the box. Find others if you can even if you can't get them from the same rack. I'd give them a 7 in presentation.

I have to agree with the captain above me here, Need some work...They should be more uniformed in appearence, size, garnish is to enhance
If you have your taste down, then the hard parts over...Bring in the rest of the package & you got something, if your taste is not your masterpiece, well ... try & try again, good luck...we all need it

SmokinGuitarPlayer
04-06-2011, 10:16 PM
thanks everybody ... great comments ...

rxcellentq
04-06-2011, 10:49 PM
does everybody display the tops? does anyone try to angle the ribs so you can see the profile (smoke ring etc)

mobow
04-06-2011, 11:19 PM
I think the amount of meat on your ribs is good. The bottom single rib does look a little out of place with it's shape being a little off from the otherrs. Your cuts look nice and clean. But the blotchy color is going to cost you. I would give you a 6. Sorry. keith

Torch
04-07-2011, 01:51 AM
Excellent point! I always see everyones box meat up and I have always done it that way. But seeing a glazed top with a smoke ringed aujus side seems appetizing to me! Anyone done it this way with success? That will offer it up?

Meat Burner
04-07-2011, 02:24 AM
Funny, I thought the color and glaze were perfect.

I agree that the arrangement looks a little awkward, but the very full box almost makes up for it.

Did you STL trim the spares or are they full bone and tip? If they're full, I'd trim 'em down. That would allow you to do two over-lapping layers of three or four.

Appearance-wise, I'd score it a really strong 8 - maybe a 9 depending on what else I'd seen.

:confused::confused::confused: This is just about appearance scores. That would be a 5 - 6 in appearance IMO.