PDA

View Full Version : What do you want in a cutting board

martyleach
04-03-2011, 12:17 AM
I've been making some cutting boards for Brethren and wanted to know what the comp guys look for. I heard from one team that they would like to have a 9 X 9 inlaid box in the corner to prep their turn in. Here's a pic of a board I finished today. It is 28" wide and 18-1/2 deep with a 9X9 in the upper left.

I can make these any size. What size is best for you guys? Any other additions?

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa430/martyleach/cutting%20boards/040211_0292.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. It is my intention to make these available through Greenleaf BBQ.

Meat Burner
04-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Marty, I may be wrong but I think most comps do not allow wood cutting boards. No sure but just throwing this out.

big brother smoke
04-03-2011, 01:59 AM
Me likes the concept!

Dale P
04-03-2011, 08:01 AM
That looks real nice but Im sold on the throw away boards.

Smokesman
04-03-2011, 10:19 AM
As a fellow woodworker and bbq'er that is a thing of beauty! The deep trough is nice. How did you do the lines? We have been using a heavy wood carving board for slicing brisket at comps and have never been told not to. That however would never fly serving to the general public.

Rich Parker
04-03-2011, 10:30 AM
I have never heard of a rule saying you can't use wood cutting boards, but i think most teams use the throw away cutting boards because of their convenience.

That would be a nice board for the house!

Meat Burner
04-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Rich, it may be a regional thing about wooden cutting boards. The chili cook-off doesn't allow them either. Weird.
I know one thing, those boards Marty is making are a work of art. That big juice trough is a great idea.

Dr_KY
04-03-2011, 11:05 AM
I would ...
~like a cutting board that wont slip.
~prefer the 9X9 to be 8.5 X 8.5- easier for me to visualize with garnish.( perhaps both the 9 and 8.5 markings in the same section)
~insets on all four sides so it's easier to pick up
~thicker wall outside of the channel

ZILLA
04-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I love a wood board when I'm home but at comps I like the plastic lunch trays the best. No leaks onto the table and easy cleanup. At $3 a pop its a bargain and they last all season too.

Smokin Mike
04-03-2011, 11:28 AM
I love a wood board when I'm home but at comps I like the plastic lunch trays the best. No leaks onto the table and easy cleanup. At $3 a pop its a bargain and they last all season too.

:thumb:

easy to clean to, after washing, just bump them on your knee, and they are almost bone dry ready to use again.

Dale P
04-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Zilla that is a great idea.

JD McGee
04-03-2011, 11:46 AM
What do you want in a cutting board?

Disposable...and cheap please! :becky:

trekmstr
04-03-2011, 11:49 AM
yea same here. i get the larger size from rest depot i have a few wood laminate cutting board that fit nicely in the tray so the juice runs off but is still held in the tray.

ZILLA
04-03-2011, 11:58 AM
BTW Marty, that is a very nice board you're making there!

martyleach
04-03-2011, 12:15 PM
As a fellow woodworker and bbq'er that is a thing of beauty! The deep trough is nice. How did you do the lines? We have been using a heavy wood carving board for slicing brisket at comps and have never been told not to. That however would never fly serving to the general public.

The black lines are pieces of 1/8" wide ebony inlaid into the maple

Bentley
04-03-2011, 01:00 PM
A large surface area and a soft surface area that can be buffed out at times...

BChawg
04-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Actually if you made one that the disposable cutting boards would fit into that would be great. It would give it support and help keep them from sliding around and you could throw those away like a disposable liner keeping the board nice. The board would also work well as secondary containment in case the disposable leaked.

Clark

crd26a
04-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Thicker wall outside the channel. Overall I agree with the comments that I prefer the disposable to the wooden, but if you could figure out how to clamp a disposable on top to keep it from sliding, I'd be up for one of those to use at the site and at home.

FYI, the ebony lines are fantastic

Big George's BBQ
04-04-2011, 09:49 AM
That is really nice I like thje disposable ones. I see teams using wooden boards

rxcellentq
04-04-2011, 07:21 PM
that is one great looking board, your woodshop teacher must be real proud

Slamdunkpro
04-04-2011, 07:45 PM
I can make these any size. What size is best for you guys? Any other additions?

Thanks for the feedback. It is my intention to make these available through Greenleaf BBQ.

18 x 24 for me so I can get a whole export rib or a large brisket all the way on the board. Make the cutting surface higher than the sides of the trough so I don't drag my knuckles or my knife blade across the trough sides and I get a clean cut without having to angle the knife.

moocow
04-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Self cleaning!

Dallas Dan
04-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Marty, that is beautiful! I would love to have a cutting board like that as long as it's plenty thick (one inch or so). PM me with details if you'd like.

Will work for bbq
04-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Wow that is a mighty fine router you have there and I love the cutting board too. Is it possible to inlay a team logo?

bigdogphin
04-04-2011, 10:49 PM
On the middle horizontal line have marks every 1/4 inch for slicing.

Sammy_Shuford
04-05-2011, 01:20 AM
love to own one for home use!

BoneDaddy's
04-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Slow down everyone, folks are using lunch tray's....Is that made of the same stuff as a cutting board? What thorw aways are people using? this may make my life easier!

HawgNationBBQ
04-05-2011, 07:19 PM
We too use the disposable boards. So much easier than washing stuff. Cut it and toss it.

Big George's BBQ
04-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Slow down everyone, folks are using lunch tray's....Is that made of the same stuff as a cutting board? What thorw aways are people using? this may make my life easier!

google disposable cutting boards

huminie
04-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Marty...I would love a nice wooden board that I could fit my disposable cutting board into. They have fold up edges to prevent leaks, so just something sturdy, that won't move around and has nice firm edges would be good.

I will give you one of my disposable cutting boards if you let me buy the prototype off of you for cheap! :becky:

martyleach
04-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Marty...I would love a nice wooden board that I could fit my disposable cutting board into. They have fold up edges to prevent leaks, so just something sturdy, that won't move around and has nice firm edges would be good.

I will give you one of my disposable cutting boards if you let me buy the prototype off of you for cheap! :becky:

You got a deal! Get me what you use for a disposable and we can talk about what you want. I will make you one for my cost. PM me.

Myrdhyn
04-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Big. like half-sheet pan fits on it with room to spare big. That's what I like in my cutting board(s).

Yakfishingfool
04-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Hey Marty, do you have a plastic board that will hold a cup or two of liquid without issue? I could use this in many places! Turkeys at thanksgiving as well as comp times with all the au jus running around. I do like th eidea of a board that would swallow a disposable board, with an area that accepts all the liquid I pour at it. Scott

landarc
04-26-2011, 04:17 PM
I got the chance to actually use one of Marty's wood boards, these are items you all want for home cooking and entertaining, they are beautiful boards.

Yakfishingfool
04-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Additionally have you thought about lines across the board about pencil thick that you can use to cut your briskets? Also a device, made out of platic cuttng board material with a small handle that you can use to hold your brisket down and cut along it's edge for that perfect cut. Kind of like a three sided ruler?

Stoke&Smoke
04-27-2011, 03:12 PM
yea same here. i get the larger size from rest depot i have a few wood laminate cutting board that fit nicely in the tray so the juice runs off but is still held in the tray.

I like the laminate idea. Without it, doesn't the plastic try kind of muck up your blade edge? Or is it soft enough not to?