PDA

View Full Version : Well, Here Are The Boxes From My First Pro Comp

Q-Dat
04-02-2011, 03:18 PM
I am totally exhausted and waiting on the results but please tell me what you guys and gals think.

Chicken

Ribs

Pork

Brisket

I anxiously await the opinion of the CBJ's and the Brethren!

Q-Dat
04-02-2011, 09:02 PM
LOL don't everybody answer at once!

deepsouth
04-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Dude, that all looks banGin to me.

Bone In
04-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Outstanding!! Nice work

Bone In
04-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Can u post the results.. That's some great company!!
I had the best of the west around me at my first comp 2 weeks ago.. Left coast Q, Slap your Daddy, Brazen and Rythem and Que.. Hope these guys sharred their knowledge as much as my guys did!

Q-Dat
04-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Can u post the results.. That's some great company!!
I had the best of the west around me at my first comp 2 weeks ago.. Left coast Q, Slap your Daddy, Brazen and Rythem and Que.. Hope these guys sharred their knowledge as much as my guys did!

My results or the contest?

landarc
04-02-2011, 10:09 PM
I really like the brisket box, nice even looking slices and neatly arranged.

The pork box looks a little confused to me, I see three types of pork presented, it almost seems too much. Money muscle slices could be neater, not askew. I think the left side of the box is better looking than the right side.

Ribs look decent, although I have always like to see identical length pieces as much as possible. Also, it seems to me that six ribs across or four ribs across and one top and one bottom seems neater.

Chicken looks delicious, nice color and shine. Sizes and shapes are a little random, which some would complain about. I am not as big a fan of manicured chicken, but some seem to really care.

slowerlowerbbq
04-02-2011, 10:32 PM
For your first pro comp, I think everything looks great. You're definitely on the right track...except the pork box. Maybe it's the picture, but that color on the pulled layed out on the right just doesn't look appetizing at all. I would suggest trying to get more bark in there or maybe some sauce to give it a darker color. The MM should probably lay on top of the lettuce some more and try to be careful when cutting so you leave the bark on. But I love the fact that you filled that box.

Hope this helps. Great job otherwise!

Contracted Cookers
04-02-2011, 10:32 PM
no white meat in pork box .slices too big on brisket. ribs look a little dark. chicken nice.

slowerlowerbbq
04-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Oh yeah, and thanks for turning in chicken that looks like chicken. They look awesome.

Dale P
04-03-2011, 08:06 AM
You are heading in the right direction. Chicken looks the best followed by brisket, ribs, then pork.

rxcellentq
04-03-2011, 08:40 AM
it all looks good from here, how did you do?

rookiedad
04-03-2011, 09:29 AM
My results or the contest?

what were your results?

Q-Dat
04-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks folks for all your feedback. Here is how my scoresheet reads.

Appearance/Taste/Tenderness

J1 J2 J3 J4 J5 J6
CK 898 876 988 999 788 998
RI 988 887 988 999 999 877
PK 989 989 977 988 997 999
BR 977 898 999 999 999 977

I agreed with you all on the appearance of the pork, but danged if it didn't score all 9's on appearance! It was overcooked though. My buddy had to hold the money muscle intact while I sliced it. It barely held together.

My brisket was very tasty and juicy, but also slightly overcooked. I got a couple of 7's for that, but the taste scores overcame that.

Yleekyoti
04-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Great looking stuff there. I really like that full pork box. Evidently so did the judges.:cool:

jrbBBQ
04-03-2011, 11:38 AM
All of that looks really good. It look like you had nice results from it.

Ron_L
04-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Appearance/Taste/Tenderness

J1 J2 J3 J4 J5 J6
CK 898 876 988 999 788 998
RI 988 887 988 999 999 877
PK 989 989 977 988 997 999
BR 977 898 999 999 999 977

Can I have your judges? :becky:

Honest opinion, those scores are high. The chicken is a solid 8. The grill marks (if that's what they are) make them look blotchy and the size and shape are not uniform. The ribs are a 7 or an 8. They look too dark and the sauce has brush marks. The five ribs are crooked in the box and the top one should have been centered. The pork is a 7. The chunks on the left are covering the parsley edge, the arrangement on the slices is a bit sloppy and the pieces on the left don't really look appetizing. A light glaze would have made them all shine. Also, the parsley added on both sides of the slices is covering the meat. Lose it. Try to clean up the edges of the parsley and lose the yellowing piece in front. The brisket is a 7. The slices are too thick and they are uneven. The chunks in front are OK, but a couple of them are much bigger than the others. The whole thing is skewed in the box (at a slight angle, probably because of the uneven slices. Also, clean up the edges of the parsley and lose the yellowing stuff on the right side.

As i tell everyone, looking at pictures of boxes gives me the chance to go back and look multiple times and to be very picky. The judges probably wouldn't have picked up all of that (and apparently didn't based on the scores), so I am being very picky.

Thunder's Wife
04-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Pix look great to me, but I'm no judge. How did you rank in categories and overall?

rweller
04-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Can I have your judges? :becky:

Honest opinion, those scores are high. The chicken is a solid 8. The grill marks (if that's what they are) make them look blotchy and the size and shape are not uniform. The ribs are a 7 or an 8. They look too dark and the sauce has brush marks. The five ribs are crooked in the box and the top one should have been centered. The pork is a 7. The chunks on the left are covering the parsley edge, the arrangement on the slices is a bit sloppy and the pieces on the left don't really look appetizing. A light glaze would have made them all shine. Also, the parsley added on both sides of the slices is covering the meat. Lose it. Try to clean up the edges of the parsley and lose the yellowing piece in front. The brisket is a 7. The slices are too thick and they are uneven. The chunks in front are OK, but a couple of them are much bigger than the others. The whole thing is skewed in the box (at a slight angle, probably because of the uneven slices. Also, clean up the edges of the parsley and lose the yellowing stuff on the right side.

As i tell everyone, looking at pictures of boxes gives me the chance to go back and look multiple times and to be very picky. The judges probably wouldn't have picked up all of that (and apparently didn't based on the scores), so I am being very picky.

Sorry, but I agree with Ron. Not trying to downgrade, but I judge a lot and the best I would have give would have been a 7 on any of them. The part of the country I judge at, Illinois and Missouri I see a lot of great cooks and great food so you have to be pretty good to score high here. JMO

daedalus
04-03-2011, 02:59 PM
First of all, let me say that this is intended as constructive criticism. Your boxes look excellent for a first time out, and clearly the judges were impressed, so congratulations on that. Having said that,

Chicken:
The pieces are not very uniform in size. The one in the lower left is sort of cockeyed. I think that the grill marks are a little to "smudgy". Some might think it takes away from the uniform look. Glazing looks nice...good amount and good color. The garnish needs to tighten up considerably. It should not have the scraggly bits around the edge.
Score: I would probably give it an 8.

Ribs:
Again, these pieces are not very uniform. Try to get bones of about the same size if possible, even if you get them from different racks. Alternately, you could shingle the ribs. That can make it easier to hide inconsistencies in size. It also gives extra meat for the table captains and volunteers, which is always nice if possible. The single rib on the top really hurts the presentation. It is not centered, and sort of looks thrown in. If you really like having one up there, maybe turn it on its side so that the meat is visible. That would make it look like you did it on purpose. The ribs are VERY heavily sauced. To me it looks gloppy and makes me wonder what the cook is trying to hide. Similarly with chicken, tighten up the parsley...think putting green!
Score: I would say 7 at most.

Pork:
This one is really almost there. The main problem that I see with it is that the garnish is hiding your slices. They call that thing a money muscle for a reason. Make sure it is prominent! The pulled on the right looks pretty good, but you might want to consider brushing a sauce on it at the last second. I would help the color and give it a more glazed look. I like the bark on the chunks to the right. That one piece in the middle is sort of sitting at a weird angle though. A bit of glaze wouldn’t hurt this either, but it is not as critical as with the pulled. Again, tighten the garnish.
Score: I might even go with a 9 on this, but certainly no less than 8.

Brisket:
Again, this one is nice. The burnt ends along the bottom do not line up with the container. It distracts from meat a little. I like how you alternated top/side/top with them though. Shows great contrast. The slices look pretty good, but I think they should be spread out a little more so that they, along with the ends, take up the whole box. Also, and this part is super nit-picky, the front slice starts to look a little weird on the right side. Either use a different slice, or maybe put it farther back so it is not so prominent.
Score: Solid 8

I realize that the scores I mentioned might seem high based on all of the issues that I mentioned. That is because most of my criticisms are based on the layout/organization/garnish. Since this is a meat competition, I try to score based mostly on the meat, and your meat generally looks very good.

Lake Dogs
04-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Good tables happen, just as tough tables happen. 'course, this is strickly appearance,
but I agree largely with daedalus, except on pork. The pork just doesn't do it for me, but we see a LOT of pork 'round here (many comps here are pork only). In this case, too much garnish covering, plus the pork on the right seems almost washed; not really that appetizing. ch 8, rb 7, pk 7, br 8

Q-Dat
04-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Guys thank you so much for the constructive criticism. This is the stuff that I need.

The pork box while not being outstanding appearance wise was better than the picture shows. My only camera is my phone. It had the brightness set to high when I took the pork and brisket pics, but I was in a hurry and only took a few seconds to take pictures. Lake Dogs you are right. In the picture the pulled on the right looks washed, but I promise it did not in person. It had a sauce coating. It was a thin sauce, but it was red and the meat showed a red color in person. I almost left the money muscle out because it was too tender. I saw that it was crooked, but was scared to move the slices again because they might have broken they were so tender. I think the overcooking is what kept me out of the top ten in pork.

Chicken I agree. We cooked 18 thighs, and had trouble at the end getting the skin done right and as a result there was some darkening. These six were the closest in appearance to each other so they went in the box. I'm thinking the one judge who gave us the 6 on tenderness probably had the skin all come off on the first bite.

I agree ribs were too dark. I try to get them done without foiling, but these were a little stubborn so they took longer to get done and the color suffered. I did my best to show that all of the ribs came from the same slab, and arranged them in order except for the one. I wanted to do them all in a row, but they were too wide.

As for the Brisket I would do the things that all of you suggested if I had it to do over again. If I had been just a little more careful I might have taken first in Brisket because there were less than 3.5 points separating us from the top.

Again guys thank for all the advice. I plan on cleaning up these boxes

justjack
04-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Guess I'm gonna get flamed for this, coming from Aus where there is no such thing as comp bbq. It all looks great to me, and comments about uneven chicken sizes and parsley out of place kind of make a mockery of what I would have thought a bbq comp was about.
Was it cooked properly?
Did it taste good?
Does it look appetising?
Sure presentation might count, and it certainly does if you're chasing michelin stars, but when I sit down for a feed, I don't give a rats if the meat is 1/8th of an inch larger than its neighbour. I look for those 3 things.
Congrats on your results, if you had a good time, learnt something, and are happy about how you went, that's enough.

Ron_L
04-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Guess I'm gonna get flamed for this, coming from Aus where there is no such thing as comp bbq. It all looks great to me, and comments about uneven chicken sizes and parsley out of place kind of make a mockery of what I would have thought a bbq comp was about.
Was it cooked properly?
Did it taste good?
Does it look appetising?
Sure presentation might count, and it certainly does if you're chasing michelin stars, but when I sit down for a feed, I don't give a rats if the meat is 1/8th of an inch larger than its neighbour. I look for those 3 things.
Congrats on your results, if you had a good time, learnt something, and are happy about how you went, that's enough.

No flames. It is being very picky, but I've been knocked out of first place in a meat category by a coin toss because everything else was tied, so these little picky things can make a big difference in tough competition.

Smokedelic
04-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Congrats on your calls, I'm sorry I didn't have the opportunity to meet you at the contest. You did very well for your first time out and should be pleased. I hope you also found time to have a blast, I know we did.

My opinion...forget about your appearance scores for now and focus on taste and tenderness. Your appearance scores did not keep you from placing higher in brisket, your taste and tenderness did. You received many more 7s(and lower) on taste and tenderness than you did on appearance scores for your 4 turn-ins.

I think it's easy for new competitors to get too caught up, initially,on appearance because it's the easiest aspect to change, and it's the easiest one to get feedback on from fellow forum members. However, focusing on taste and tenderness, and improving those aspects, will have a bigger impact on your overall scores, than to fuss over how the thighs or ribs are positioned in the box, or if there's too much parsley on the pork or.........

...but that's just me.

Again, congrats on how well you did.

Q-Dat
04-04-2011, 03:14 AM
Congrats on your calls, I'm sorry I didn't have the opportunity to meet you at the contest. You did very well for your first time out and should be pleased. I hope you also found time to have a blast, I know we did.

My opinion...forget about your appearance scores for now and focus on taste and tenderness. Your appearance scores did not keep you from placing higher in brisket, your taste and tenderness did. You received many more 7s(and lower) on taste and tenderness than you did on appearance scores for your 4 turn-ins.

I think it's easy for new competitors to get too caught up, initially,on appearance because it's the easiest aspect to change, and it's the easiest one to get feedback on from fellow forum members. However, focusing on taste and tenderness, and improving those aspects, will have a bigger impact on your overall scores, than to fuss over how the thighs or ribs are positioned in the box, or if there's too much parsley on the pork or.........

...but that's just me.

Again, congrats on how well you did.

Thanks man, I think our flavor profile is gonna pretty much stay the same, but I am going to work on tenderness which if I can dial that in, I believe the taste scores will come up with it. I think when you eat something and the texture isn't what you like, it throws your perception off for taste. Rarely have I ever eaten anything that I thought tasted great but had a terrible texture. IMHO its just hard to convince someone that your food tastes good if they don't like the texture.

Sorry I missed you out there. Are you planning on going to Covington in two weeks?

daedalus
04-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Was it cooked properly?
Did it taste good?
Does it look appetising?
No flaming intended, and I understand what you are saying. If fact, for general barbecue, like what you might get in a restaurant or backyard, I completely agree. However, this is COMPETITION bbq. The standards are different. At competition level, almost all of it looks good and tastes good and is cooked well. The question is generally more about levels of excellence. If that were not the case, everyone would get all nines, and essentially eliminate the competitive element altogether. Plus, a big part of the fun is trying something, analyzing the feedback, and making adjustments to try to improve the next time.

AZScott
04-04-2011, 12:28 PM
How did you place overall? You did awesome and out in AZ scores like that would be top 5 all day long.

huminie
04-04-2011, 12:54 PM
I too am curious on the placing (what is your team name?). I see things about your boxes I would try and improve, but can't really argue with scores like that.

landarc
04-04-2011, 01:28 PM
I was wondering about the photography, that pork on the right side of your box just looked so pale. That is the problem with looking at boxes virtually. I thought most folks do two butts for comps if they want to use the money muscle. I think if you pull the money muscle a little before pulling temperatures, the texture and flavor is just incredible.

Q-Dat
04-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I was wondering about the photography, that pork on the right side of your box just looked so pale. That is the problem with looking at boxes virtually. I thought most folks do two butts for comps if they want to use the money muscle. I think if you pull the money muscle a little before pulling temperatures, the texture and flavor is just incredible.

Yeah I did actually cook two butts with that intention. I pulled one and put in the cooler at 190 and cooked the other to 200*

Much to my surprise the one that pulled early overcooked itself in the cooler(It was in there a few hours) and the one that came off at 200 did the same but even more so. So I got everything from the first one.

As far as placement heres the breakdown.

Chicken 9th
Ribs 10th
Pork 18th
Brisket 6th

My Brisket was less than 3.5 points behind 1st

AZScott
04-04-2011, 03:08 PM
1st comp and three top tens! I'd say you kicked butt.

deepsouth
04-04-2011, 03:27 PM
sorry to the OP for being a bit off topic and having a little rant, but.....

i'm glad your chicken is different sizes. i can't stand to see uniformly sized pieces of meat. it makes me think that those things are scientifically engineered rather than raised humanely. i think it's CRAZY that every chicken at the grocery store is the EXACT same size.

sorry again.

Q-Dat
04-04-2011, 05:59 PM
sorry to the OP for being a bit off topic and having a little rant, but.....

i'm glad your chicken is different sizes. i can't stand to see uniformly sized pieces of meat. it makes me think that those things are scientifically engineered rather than raised humanely. i think it's CRAZY that every chicken at the grocery store is the EXACT same size.

sorry again.

Thanks for the compliment but I wish I could say it was intentional lol! That was a result of not being able to find chicken thighs that are uniform. I agree with you though. I like randomness myself, I wish I could be confident that judges would consistently agree. I would love to work on nailing drumsticks, but with a 9th place chicken I think I will stick with thighs for now.

Q-Dat
04-05-2011, 09:02 AM
I too am curious on the placing (what is your team name?). I see things about your boxes I would try and improve, but can't really argue with scores like that.

LOL our team name is "Smokin Baptist"

smalls65
04-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Yeah I did actually cook two butts with that intention. I pulled one and put in the cooler at 190 and cooked the other to 200*

Much to my surprise the one that pulled early overcooked itself in the cooler(It was in there a few hours) and the one that came off at 200 did the same but even more so. So I got everything from the first one.

As far as placement heres the breakdown.

Chicken 9th
Ribs 10th
Pork 18th
Brisket 6th

My Brisket was less than 3.5 points behind 1st

Make sure you let your meeat vent a little before goin into the cooler...I've overcooked my briskets in the cooler my 2nd time out!! But GREAT JOB on your first comp!!! :thumb:

Q-Dat
04-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Make sure you let your meeat vent a little before goin into the cooler...I've overcooked my briskets in the cooler my 2nd time out!! But GREAT JOB on your first comp!!! :thumb:

Will definitely do this. Might even pull it at 180 or 185 as opposed to 190 like I did this time.