PDA

View Full Version : Lunch in Lockhart tomorrow!!!

Cahusky
03-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Were heading to Houston tomorrow(flying to Austin then driving to Houston) to see my UCONN Huskies play in the Final Four this weekend and are going to make the pilgrimage to Lockhart tomorrow afternoon. Ive read enough threads on this board to know there isn't any concensus as to which one is best so i guess ill just follow my nose when i get into town. Or, I could just pig out and hit 2 or 3!!!

Been looking forward to getting to Lockhart for years and the Final Four provided an excellent opportunity. Im going to fast from lunch today until tomorrow so ill be ready to gorge.

caseydog
03-31-2011, 07:58 PM
Everyone here has their favorite hill country BBQ joint and you won't be disappointed in Lockhart.

I like the Salt Lick for ribs and sausage, and prefer Cooper's in Llano for brisket, but that's just my preferences.

Bottom line, the best BBQ in Texas is within 100 miles of Austin.

While in Houston, eat some seafood. Babin's is a good chain restaurant that buys local seafood when possible, and has reasonable prices. Their Gulf breeds of fish are usually from local vendors.

If you stay in Austin on a Friday or Saturday night, go to Sixth Street and listen to some killer live music. The police close down this downtown street to cars, and it becomes a giant pedestrian mall lined with bars and live music, and the bands are the best you will find in Texas nightclubs, period!

Have fun, eat well -- but I can't say I care who wins the final four. Sorry.

CD

thirdeye
03-31-2011, 08:33 PM
I'd probably hit all three and so a sample plate. A couple of them do sell the rub (all of them use basically the same thing) so it might be good to pickup a couple of pounds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/DSC08378a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/DSC07298a.jpg

caseydog
03-31-2011, 08:50 PM
In that part of the hill country, a Dalmatian rub on brisket is not unusual -- kosher or sea salt and cracked black pepper. Then, you let the smoke do the rest.

CD

thirdeye
03-31-2011, 08:58 PM
In that part of the hill country, a Dalmatian rub on brisket is not unusual -- kosher or sea salt and cracked black pepper. Then, you let the smoke do the rest.

CD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/DSC08376a.jpg

... and the cayenne. There is something better with the flavor when having it pre-mixed and aged, instead of just using the individual ingredients.

ggeilman
03-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Kreuz' and Smitty's are probably the best in Lockhart. Blacks is ok, but not as good, forget Chisolm Trail. Just my humble opinion. Salt Lick is overrated and overdressed.
Was very dissappointed with the que there, not the company we enjoyed it with.

TexasAggie97
03-31-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm leaving for Houston tomorrow as well! Unfortunately, we are not stopping in Lockhart. Don't just try one Q joint, hit em all, you won't be sorry.

bendosia
04-01-2011, 09:03 AM
If you are gonna eat seafood in Houston, I'd suggest going to Baytown Seafood in east Houston area. It's some GOOD EATS!

As for BBQ, you can't go wrong with Austin. Even the Rudy's BBQ chain is good stuff! Taylor, which is a city that is NE of Austin, has some good BBQ, but the original owner has died recently, and I think his son took over. I haven't been there since, so I don't know if it has changed any.

wildflower
04-01-2011, 09:40 AM
:thumb: GOD BLESS TEXAS :thumb:

txschutte
04-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Everyone here has their favorite hill country BBQ joint and you won't be disappointed in Lockhart.

I like the Salt Lick for ribs and sausage, and prefer Cooper's in Llano for brisket, but that's just my preferences.

Bottom line, the best BBQ in Texas is within 100 miles of Austin.

While in Houston, eat some seafood. Babin's is a good chain restaurant that buys local seafood when possible, and has reasonable prices. Their Gulf breeds of fish are usually from local vendors.

If you stay in Austin on a Friday or Saturday night, go to Sixth Street and listen to some killer live music. The police close down this downtown street to cars, and it becomes a giant pedestrian mall lined with bars and live music, and the bands are the best you will find in Texas nightclubs, period!

Have fun, eat well -- but I can't say I care who wins the final four. Sorry.

CDSkip 6th Street. A great place is the Saxon Pub. Sandra Bullock and Matt McCounaghey frequent there. Great music.

caseydog
04-01-2011, 09:02 PM
I can't say that I give a fark where Sandra Bullock goes. I like sixth street for the casual street atmosphere, and the collection of good young musical talent you can here, often for no cover charge.

CD