03-30-2011, 09:34 PM
The Great Bethpage BBQ

Date:May 14, 15

Location: Bethpage Parking Lot, lot B2, at Washington and Stewart

Organizer: Charles Razenson

516-250-3485(cell)

Categories:
Chicken, Ribs, Pork, Brisket, Chili

Rules: Available on Website. (Note: this is not a BBQ Brethren event)

Entry: $200.00 BBQ, $20.00 Chili (chili may be prepared in advance)

This event is being run by the Bethpage Chamber of Commerce.

Contact Charlie for an application. If it is easier, I can email you a copy. Send me an email and I'll reply with the application as an attachment. saberinc (at) optonline (dot) net

Please note that I am not part of the organizing team for this event.

Eric

Mod Edit: Edited thread title to conform to posting guidelines

Anchors Smokeshop
03-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Is there a website with more information for this event?
Please email me the app to: thesmokenbarrel at gmail dot com.

motoeric
03-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Sorry, I should have mentioned. I was told that the website will be up by tomorrow. I'll post as soon as I see it.

If you'd like an application, email Charlie at the email addy listed in the op or shoot me an email and I'll reply with it as an attachment. saberinc (at) optonline (dot) net

Eric

Anchors Smokeshop
03-30-2011, 09:58 PM
That's the same weekend as Memphis in May.
Unfortunately, it is also the same weekend as my daughter's birthday and birthday party. DAMN!

tugbone
03-31-2011, 09:48 AM
awsome

timzcardz
03-31-2011, 09:59 AM
That's the same weekend as Memphis in May.
Unfortunately, it is also the same weekend as my daughter's birthday and birthday party. DAMN!

James,

Just tell your daughter that all of your BBQ budies are having a party for her . . . in Bethpage! :becky:

rbsnwngs
03-31-2011, 10:08 AM
same weekend as my little girls birthday party also

Cue's Your Daddy
03-31-2011, 10:20 AM
My daughters Communion

speedrcer1
03-31-2011, 10:48 AM
That's the same weekend as Dover. No, I'm not kidding. The Dover Nascar race.

scm1226
03-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Awesome!!!

speedrcer1
04-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Anymore updates on this one?

motoeric
04-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Here is the url:

http://www.bethpagefair.com/BETHBBQ.html

You currently need to cut and paste the info from the site and to a word document and send it in (for teams or judges).

I spoke with Charlie, the organizer, about some changes to the site.

Eric

scm1226
04-04-2011, 04:54 AM
anyone doing this?

Smokenstein & monster crew
04-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Cant make this one, Locked out for the 15th due to Wild party

SmokeInDaEye
04-04-2011, 01:48 PM
I'll be in Memphis.

TooSaucedToPork
04-04-2011, 06:08 PM
I'll be in Memphis.

Sans knives I hope :doh:

scm1226
04-08-2011, 08:22 PM
ANyone? I guess I will ask at Williepolooza

SmokeInDaEye
04-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Sans knives I hope :doh:

Maybe.... I have a whole video and photo crew with me this year to make sure my misdeeds are captured. See ya'll soon!

Frank Sacco
04-09-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm just reading about this! I just might have availability... Might

MikeR
04-18-2011, 06:30 PM
According to my "lenient" pitmaster, sounds like we are in.:thumb:

SmokeInDaEye
04-18-2011, 06:37 PM
According to my "lenient" pitmaster, sounds like we are in.:thumb:

Is he going to let you hold down the canopy again?

speedrcer1
04-18-2011, 10:08 PM
If anyone needs help, let me know. (non-disclosure agreements will be signed in blood)
But I am in for cooking chili on my own please. :wink:

BBQchef33
04-18-2011, 10:14 PM
im probably in.. have a fundraiser to cook for earlier in the week which may make it difficult.

MikeR
04-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Is he going to let you hold down the canopy again?
Hoping to have weather where this wont be an issue. If not I guess I have a job to do.

rxcellentq
04-18-2011, 10:39 PM
we are in. hope for dry and warm. would be a nice change of pace.

Anchors Smokeshop
04-19-2011, 10:46 AM
I can't compete because I have something on Saturday but I'm thinking about judging on Sunday.

Smokin' Aces
04-19-2011, 07:23 PM
i believe i will be there for this one.... hope the weather is nice

tugbone
04-20-2011, 09:31 AM
We might judge we have a class on that saturday 14 in norwork ct so it would be cool to judge right away.

Sledneck
04-20-2011, 09:57 AM
No guaranteed prize pool?? from the website:

All fees will be returned in the form of payouts and potential trophies or will be used to cover event expenses (water for judges, plates, napkins, crackers, etc.). There will be no profit made from this event.

So basically lets say 10 teams show up . the total prize pool is $2000 less expenses.Depending on how its broken down (lets say payouts 1-5 each cat) the way i see it i gotta win 1st in all 4 categories and GC to break even? Not very comforting. As Muzzle would say, Shake n Bake

Jacked UP BBQ
04-20-2011, 10:05 AM
For the Love of BBQ!

timzcardz
04-20-2011, 10:13 AM

All fees will be returned in the form of payouts and potential trophies or will be used to cover event expenses (water for judges, plates, napkins, crackers, etc.). There will be no profit made from this event.

So basically lets say 10 teams show up . the total prize pool is $2000 less expenses.Depending on how its broken down (lets say payouts 1-5 each cat) the way i see it i gotta win 1st in all 4 categories and GC to break even? Not very comforting. As Muzzle would say, Shake n Bake

OK, so are you in?

HolySmoke
04-20-2011, 10:17 AM
For the Love of BBQ!

Also a good time to test out some stuff....

Sledneck
04-20-2011, 10:26 AM
OK, so are you in?

At first NO , but now that is see SmokeNBarrel is not competing then maybe i do have a shot at winning it all

Cue's Your Daddy
04-20-2011, 10:47 AM
You would hope that this contest can get 20 teams. So thats 4k. Say $250 in expenses. leaves $3750. Lets say $1500 to Grand Champion and $750 to RGC. leaves $1500. I would think you only pay out top 3 in each category. $250 for 1st, $150 for 2nd and $100 for 3rd.

Sledneck
04-20-2011, 10:52 AM
You would hope that this contest can get 20 teams. So thats 4k. Say $250 in expenses. leaves $3750. Lets say $1500 to Grand Champion and $750 to RGC. leaves $1500. I would think you only pay out top 3 in each category. $250 for 1st, $150 for 2nd and $100 for 3rd.I never base my investment on "hope"

BBQchef33
04-20-2011, 10:53 AM

How many contests have you broke even at?

I guess its better not to have any new events, and only have Arlie Bragg, Ron Cates, and big event companies handle them, instead of someone stepping up and trying to put something together. Congress should then pass the law, no more first year contests, unless the organizer has done one before. :thumb:

So when are you and Muzzle gonna put together a contest. ?

Sledneck
04-20-2011, 11:05 AM

I guess its better not to have any new events, and only have Arlie Bragg, Ron Cates, and big event companies handle them, instead of someone stepping up and trying to put something together. Congress should then pass the law, no more first year contests, unless the organizer has done one before. :thumb:

This weekend, my back yard, no entry fee no payout but it is a state qualifier!

MikeR
04-20-2011, 11:07 AM
This weekend, my back yard, no entry fee no payout but it is a state qualifier!
Damn- I have to work Saturday and Sunday is Easter. Wish we had more notice.:tsk:

Sledneck
04-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Actually a few. even made a few dollars

I dont know those guys nor i have i ever been to one their events. Nothing wrong with first year events. Just inquiring. LI guys sure are sensitive.

What would be the need? Plenty of well orgainized contest with a short driving disgtance (although crossing a bridge or ferry would be required :rolleyes:) That are sanctioned by established organiztions as well guaranteed prize pools

Jacked UP BBQ
04-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Are these acknowledged by the Jack and Royal?

Sledneck
04-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Is this event a qualifier?

BBQchef33
04-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Its not a qualifier.

And this guy is trying to put something together. He has been trying for 2 years. The least we can do is help to support him. Not piss on his shoes. If its a success, he wont become disillusioned and he will try again next year. If it fails, we are back to traveling 2-300 miles to contests.

Its and old song. Folks piss about the L.I. contests as manufactured and 'shake and bake'. Lets see them start working on a contest 6-8 months in advance, setting up an infrastructure, dealing with sponsors, advertising, electricians, sanitation, team breakfasts, amenities, and keep 30 teams happy. Then see what its like to make it succeed, or feel the sting when someone whips out their johnson and start pissing on their 20x20s from the comfort of their recliners 200 miles away.

As far as the qualifiers; and people bitchin about startup contests being qualifiers have to realize, if it satisfies the requirements of the Jack and The Royal, that's all that is needed. Its not a committee vote and these contests are OPEN TO ANYONE. The ones who stay home are the ones who keep it from growing and becoming more competitive. If they choose to drive right passed the 495 and go somewhere else, its their decision, just don't bitch when theres another qualifier popping up somewhere else that they get to drive by that one too. Battle of the Brethren had a $9000 prize pool last year, that is NOT shake and Bake.

This is a local contest, just starting up. If I can make it, I will, regardless of payout. I would prefer to see it succeed than to see it die. I have gone to MANY contests having no clue what the prize pool was.

At least HE is trying.

papabear1
04-20-2011, 11:59 AM
On sunday the 15 of May I have a shoot with my gun club I am going to try and rearange it so I can get out early and get to the Bethpage BBQ, and enter my chili I should know by the end of this week. If all gos well I'll be signing up by monday morning.:-D
papabear

timzcardz
04-20-2011, 12:53 PM
I spoke to Charlie this morning. He is the guy who is organizing this and was competing at WilliePallooza this past weekend.

Here's the deal.

He is trying to make something happen, but it won't happen without us, the competitiors.

He is under the gun and needs to have 10 teams in place two weeks out in order for it to happen. As of this morning he has 3. My application is going in the mail tomorrow, so that will make 4.

If it goes forward this year, the chances are that he will be able to build upon this year to make it bigger and better next year.
The amenities are really convenient.

It is in a parking lot, and there will be electrical and water available. He has arranged a hydrant hookup.

If you want or need a hot cup of coffee in at 4:00 am, there is a 7-11 across the street. Want some fresh rolls on Sunday moring? There's a bakery across the street too. If you forgot something, there is a super market just down the block.

And last but not least . . . .the turn-ins are at a bar!

Charlie also told me that there that there are some other interested parties outside of Bethpage that are also looking at this. So, if you would like to see more competitions on Long Island, you can't sit on your hands waiting. You need to help those that are trying.

Edit: Correction. My application is now in the hands of the USPS.

BBQchef33
04-20-2011, 12:57 PM
ok, im in.... may have to do it bare bones, but im in.

whos next. ???

Cue's Your Daddy
04-20-2011, 01:10 PM
we are probably in. My daughters communion and party Saturday. But brother and dad might set up and then come to communion then we will be back in evening. To close to pass up.

SmokeInDaEye
04-20-2011, 01:11 PM
ok, im in.... may have to do it bare bones, but im in.

whos next. ???

Wish I could but I prefer to only get beaten by you and all your fancy microwaves once a quarter. Plus I'll be at Gus's Fried Chicken in Memphis.

BBQchef33
04-20-2011, 01:15 PM
my microwave only costs 20 bucks. Its not fancy, but sure did improve on that rib sample you gave me from your turn in box.

Let the smack talk begin! :boxing:

c'mon folks... we help this guy succeed it can grow next year.

Westexbbq
04-20-2011, 01:19 PM
I am always ready to support events like this know Charlie is really trying to do the right thing.:clap:
I contacted him about judging as my budget and pockets at present are just not deep enough to enter as a competitor.:sad:
He needs our support and there are some bigwigs and influential folks from both Nassau County and the Town of Oyster Bay that are observing for future reference.:thumb:
Needless to say, this could very well be the start of something big so let's spread the word and get some more teams to compete. (If anyone needs someone to help them, send me a PM.) :whoo:

Smokin J
04-20-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm pretty sure we're in.

More LI events!

Smokin' Aces
04-20-2011, 04:25 PM
this is going to be like the tanger contest last sept. that was fun small but good practice and something to keep us out of trouble

Muzzlebrake
04-20-2011, 07:54 PM

I'm not going to nor do I plan on it. In fact I don't know that anyone has ever heard me say I had any intention of doing so but seeing as you want to drag me into this, fark it, you got my attention now.

Roc City. Boston Hills, Lake Placid, Troy and Hudson Valley are all well established contests, none of which are run by Arlie, Ronnie or big event companies unless you count the Dmitry the machine that he is in that category.

Its not a qualifier.

And this guy is trying to put something together. He has been trying for 2 years. The least we can do is help to support him. Not piss on his shoes. If its a success, he wont become disillusioned and he will try again next year. If it fails, we are back to traveling 2-300 miles to contests.

Its and old song. Folks piss about the L.I. contests as manufactured and 'shake and bake'. Lets see them start working on a contest 6-8 months in advance, setting up an infrastructure, dealing with sponsors, advertising, electricians, sanitation, team breakfasts, amenities, and keep 30 teams happy. Then see what its like to make it succeed, or feel the sting when someone whips out their johnson and start pissing on their 20x20s from the comfort of their recliners 200 miles away.

As far as the qualifiers; and people bitchin about startup contests being qualifiers have to realize, if it satisfies the requirements of the Jack and The Royal, that's all that is needed. Its not a committee vote and these contests are OPEN TO ANYONE. The ones who stay home are the ones who keep it from growing and becoming more competitive. If they choose to drive right passed the 495 and go somewhere else, its their decision, just don't bitch when theres another qualifier popping up somewhere else that they get to drive by that one too. Battle of the Brethren had a $9000 prize pool last year, that is NOT shake and Bake.

This is a local contest, just starting up. If I can make it, I will, regardless of payout. I would prefer to see it succeed than to see it die. I have gone to MANY contests having no clue what the prize pool was.

At least HE is trying.

So its not a qualifier and not part of a established sanctioning body but we should feel obligated to participate beacuse it has taken 2 years to get to that point. That all seems to be evidence indicating I should stay away.

Starting to work on organizing a contest 6-8 is the definition of Shake & Bake. My contest schedule is for the most part done no later than 15 January of each year. All of the NY contests I mentioned above not only started organizing much farther in advance than 6 months most were posted on the KCBS calender long before that. In fact some were accepting applications more than 6 months in advance. This contest wasn't even announced until 45 days out. That is the epitome of Shake & Bake.

I completely understand why you guys don't want to leave Long Island. Its the same reason most of us that live elsewhere don't want to come there either, the traveleing sucks, I get it. But we didn't pick where you live any more than you picked where we do. Now draw a 200 mile radius from the center of Long Island and I think you will find that you have many established, well organized contests sanctioned by a nationally recognized organization available to you.

Since you opened the door into qualifiers and who they are open to, I understand that it is not our place to question the procedure used by The Royal or The Jack. However if you really think that organizing a last minute local contest that meets thier requirements as anything other than questionable, I think some serious reflection is needed. This is fast becoming a tradition in your part of the state. If they can organize and announce a contest in Brockport in a time frame that makes planning and attending a reality for anyone interested, I for the life of me don't undestand why it can't be done on Long Island. Don't make it seem like it is my responsibility as a competitor to assist them in becoming more competitive and open to a broader market.

Another striking difference in the NY contests I have mentioned and those that take place on Long Island is that there are no conflicts of interest between competitor, organizer or sponsors. At no contest other than those in your neck of the woods do organizers or sponsors compete in the contest they organized or sponsored. Can you imagine the outrage if the Highland Rotary won Hudson Valley? You guys on the Island would more than likely not let them live it down. Show me anywhere else that allows that to happen anywhere in the competitive world, not just BBQ and I will be sure to aviod them as well.

All of that being said, it has been too long since I have seen many of you and hope we can discuss this at further length late at night at a contest after adding alcohol to the mix at some point this season!
:becky::boxing:

SmokeInDaEye
04-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks to everyone involved in this discussion. I know exactly where Sean et al are coming from having fought this fight for a long time. These days I am too busy trying to escape the long island radius plus hold down two jobs to do contests for anything less than fun.

That's what made willies contest so great personally, little travel, a lot of rain, and one last chance to see BBQ friends.

That said, if I still cared much about winning versus just enjoying the moment, these last minute contests held when other major contest are already locked and loaded and still somehow carry the same value when it comes to the royal and the jack seem to go against the spirit of competition. Unfortunately this conversation has fallen on the fine folks just trying to do something cool at Bethpage but it's a valid discussion raised by sled, Sean and others.

It kind of sucks that friends who taught me so much about competition cooking are now split over the same subject but I want to enjoy my time with all of you while we can still enjoy being together.

Anchors Smokeshop
04-20-2011, 09:01 PM
At first NO , but now that is see SmokeNBarrel is not competing then maybe i do have a shot at winning it all

Good Luck! Just make sure you dust off all of that rust.

Sledneck
04-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Good Luck! Just make sure you dust off all of that rust.

Thats a good idea. first let me move some of my awards from REAL contests before i get them dirty.....

nancee
04-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Is Norwalk just judging Saturday or is it both cooking an judging?
TY

MilitantSquatter
04-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Is Norwalk just judging Saturday or is it both cooking an judging?
TY

hey Nancee....fyi..wrong thread.

Sawdustguy
04-21-2011, 10:08 AM
I would love to be able to attend this contest but I will be traveling for work again at that time. My job is a lot of the reason the Polocks have been less active than the past. As much as I love competitive BBQ, I have a duty to provide for my family and with the job market and economy at this time, I am forced to suck it up and do what I have to do. As if stands now I will be taking a red eye back from a planned business trip to the left coast in August to Cook in our hometown contest in Manorville.

motoeric
04-24-2011, 02:08 AM
I met with the organizer yesterday and scoped out the area.

There is PLENTY of space available, the turn-in area is fairly close and there is a King Kullen in the adjacent parking lot.

It seems like a nice set-up.

The organizer is getting food donated for a pot-luck and bagels for Sunday morning.

This should be a fun event and I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Eric

MikeR
04-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Any word on how many teams have registered?

papabear1
04-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Well it looks like I won't be abel to make this chili cook off. I am looking forward to the next one how ever. Good luck to everyone.

papabear

LindaM
04-24-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm not going to nor do I plan on it. In fact I don't know that anyone has ever heard me say I had any intention of doing so but seeing as you want to drag me into this, fark it, you got my attention now.

Roc City. Boston Hills, Lake Placid, Troy and Hudson Valley are all well established contests, none of which are run by Arlie, Ronnie or big event companies unless you count the Dmitry the machine that he is in that category.

So its not a qualifier and not part of a established sanctioning body but we should feel obligated to participate beacuse it has taken 2 years to get to that point. That all seems to be evidence indicating I should stay away.

Starting to work on organizing a contest 6-8 is the definition of Shake & Bake. My contest schedule is for the most part done no later than 15 January of each year. All of the NY contests I mentioned above not only started organizing much farther in advance than 6 months most were posted on the KCBS calender long before that. In fact some were accepting applications more than 6 months in advance. This contest wasn't even announced until 45 days out. That is the epitome of Shake & Bake.

I completely understand why you guys don't want to leave Long Island. Its the same reason most of us that live elsewhere don't want to come there either, the traveleing sucks, I get it. But we didn't pick where you live any more than you picked where we do. Now draw a 200 mile radius from the center of Long Island and I think you will find that you have many established, well organized contests sanctioned by a nationally recognized organization available to you.

Since you opened the door into qualifiers and who they are open to, I understand that it is not our place to question the procedure used by The Royal or The Jack. However if you really think that organizing a last minute local contest that meets thier requirements as anything other than questionable, I think some serious reflection is needed. This is fast becoming a tradition in your part of the state. If they can organize and announce a contest in Brockport in a time frame that makes planning and attending a reality for anyone interested, I for the life of me don't undestand why it can't be done on Long Island. Don't make it seem like it is my responsibility as a competitor to assist them in becoming more competitive and open to a broader market.

Another striking difference in the NY contests I have mentioned and those that take place on Long Island is that there are no conflicts of interest between competitor, organizer or sponsors. At no contest other than those in your neck of the woods do organizers or sponsors compete in the contest they organized or sponsored. Can you imagine the outrage if the Highland Rotary won Hudson Valley? You guys on the Island would more than likely not let them live it down. Show me anywhere else that allows that to happen anywhere in the competitive world, not just BBQ and I will be sure to aviod them as well.

All of that being said, it has been too long since I have seen many of you and hope we can discuss this at further length late at night at a contest after adding alcohol to the mix at some point this season!
:becky::boxing:

Sean,
If you are referring to Williepalloza it was an official contest, run under the BBQ-Brethren rules which are formalized and being used in other contests this year. Phil was not part of the organization of the event. This was all Willie. He did not complete in the event. Just because Phils team name is BBQ-Brethren.com and they won has no bearing. BBQ-Brethren.com also won Sayville the first year and it was a KCBS contest. As a matter of fact this is the 4th year for Willie and Phil won it the 1st year as well. Jerry and I were the officials this year and it was run following strict rules as we always do.

timzcardz
04-26-2011, 08:01 AM
OK guys and gals, who else is in for this one?

Smokin J
04-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Any one know how many teams are competing?

Smokin J
04-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Application sent.....

scm1226
04-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Ok, we are a two man crew but I will be sending the application tomorrow.
Do we know who else is doing this?

04-27-2011, 10:53 PM
some of these posts on this thread are really disappointing
to a new commer to this love of bbq, its really something to see
& have seen it in other posts
Whine, Bitc*, & complain yadda yadda

BBQchef33
04-27-2011, 11:18 PM
my apps going out in the morning.

I know its a crappy date, and short notice, but c'mon teams.. if you can make it down, if for no other reason to help this contest make some ground for something bigger next year, please try. :pray: the price of gas alone is gonna make traveling 300 miles to a contest even more painful, and the more we can get down here, the better off we will all be.

Im in.. have a charity cook 2 days prior, but i'll get this in somehow.

timzcardz
04-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Ok, we are a two man crew but I will be sending the application tomorrow.
Do we know who else is doing this?

Well, here are teams that I know about . . .

Pit Posse
RXcellent
Grim Reaper Smokers
Out of the Ashes
Smokin Irish
BBQ Brethren

I think Smokin' Aces said they were sending their app in.

Who else has sent in or is doing so?

Let's get it on!

HolySmoke
04-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Well, here are teams that I know about . . .

Pit Posse
RXcellent
Grim Reaper Smokers
Out of the Ashes
Smokin Irish
BBQ Brethren

I think Smokin' Aces said they were sending their app in.

Who else has sent in or is doing so?

Let's get it on!

If they call 10th & up we'll all get to walk!!

timzcardz
04-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Since it's baseball season, I'll help all those that are on the fence about this one decide.

I'll provide a free Cal Ripken, Jr. poster to all teams competing! :thumb:

Now, who else is in? :-D

Sledneck
04-28-2011, 09:55 AM
some of these posts on this thread are really disappointing
to a new commer to this love of bbq, its really something to see
& have seen it in other posts
Whine, Bitc*, & complain yadda yadda

I didnt see where I or anybody else whined btch etc. Valid questions and points were raised. Yeah it great to have local contests but wouldn't you want to know what you are getting in to? If its at the cost of embarrassing my region i have every right to be concerned. I understand him trying to get it off the ground etc but hows it gonna be run? without out a proper sanctioing body i just dont trust how my entries are being handled, scores entered etc. To expensive a weekend to do that.....

HolySmoke
04-28-2011, 10:10 AM
here it comes.....

Sawdustguy
04-28-2011, 10:12 AM
I didnt see where I or anybody else whined btch etc. Valid questions and points were raised. Yeah it great to have local contests but wouldn't you want to know what you are getting in to? If its at the cost of embarrassing my region i have every right to be concerned. I understand him trying to get it off the ground etc but hows it gonna be run? without out a proper sanctioing body i just dont trust how my entries are being handled, scores entered etc. To expensive a weekend to do that.....

I guess it kinda depends on why you compete. I don't expect perfection from a first year contest. I don't think anyone can fault someone who does not feel comfortable cooking in a peticular contest. I think it's a personal choice, but I had doubts, I would call the organizer personally instead of dragging it through the forums. I wish we could cook this contest, it's close to the rest of our family in Hicksville but I will be away on business. Because it's just Michele and I now, we are looking for more contests closer to home.

BBQchef33
04-28-2011, 11:02 AM
I didnt see where I or anybody else whined btch etc. Valid questions and points were raised. Yeah it great to have local contests but wouldn't you want to know what you are getting in to? If its at the cost of embarrassing my region i have every right to be concerned. I understand him trying to get it off the ground etc but hows it gonna be run? without out a proper sanctioning body i just dont trust how my entries are being handled, scores entered etc. To expensive a weekend to do that.....

geezz.. why cant the guy have a friendly 10-15 team cookoff for fun, without people comparing it to full blown contests. :confused: Its a neighborhood cookoff..thats all. :doh:

Then again,

You can always offer to sponsor him and write the check for sanctioning fees. :clap2:

$350.00 listing fee.
12$ per team
Reps travel/lodging/per-diem fees. Figure 2 nights in hotel, Fuel costs, $35 day per diem.

Sledneck
04-28-2011, 01:15 PM
geezz.. why cant the guy have a friendly 10-15 team cookoff for fun, without people comparing it to full blown contests. :confused: Its a neighborhood cookoff..thats all. :doh:

Then again,

You can always offer to sponsor him and write the check for sanctioning fees. :clap2:

$350.00 listing fee.
12$ per team
Reps travel/lodging/per-diem fees. Figure 2 nights in hotel, Fuel costs, $35 day per diem.

if it were a $75-100 entry fee i could see it. at $200 hes up there with other contests that have sanctioning with all the amenities.

04-28-2011, 01:42 PM
I guess it kinda depends on why you compete. I don't expect perfection from a first year contest. I don't think anyone can fault someone who does not feel comfortable cooking in a peticular contest. I think it's a personal choice, but I had doubts, I would call the organizer personally instead of dragging it through the forums. I wish we could cook this contest, it's close to the rest of our family in Hicksville but I will be away on business. Because it's just Michele and I now, we are looking for more contests closer to home.

Thats exactly it, you nailed it on the head......

If it were to make money, then we all would be screwed.
You would have better odds on a scratch off, or try vegas

Its about hobby with possible benifits, there are few who could make a living at this, if any ?? We all have jobs, multiple jobs, or at least had them(retired)
To me its about having a nice weekend, with family, friends, laughs,
good food/Conversations/some cocktails.... People like to camp/boat/
vacation/ etc to have some peace...
If it becomes about getting ahead of my overall investment to the weekend, then it does'nt sound like fun...I know financially i will take a hit, but the time with family doing something different than most families i know= all worth it

Jacked UP BBQ
04-28-2011, 02:00 PM

Then again,

$350.00 listing fee.
12$ per team

I see nothing worng with a neighborhood cook off. Actually I think it is great. I do have a problem with a neighborhood cookoff that offers nothing to get outsiders to come in and then take a chance from a team that won a comp like Hudson Valley from going to the Jack. Does a comp in my home town with 15 teams and no prize money deserve to give the winner a chance at the world championship. I would say morally no. I dont think this is a qualifier from what I was told, but there have been some shady comps around the country.

MikeR
04-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Not a qualifier- so why is everybody piling on? Maybe in the future if we let it get off the ground it could become a qualifier. Even "The Jack" had to start somewhere. Some of us like to stay close to home and do friendly comps. I know that my family keeps me very busy and I can't be traveling all over the place. With a comp like this my wife can take the kids where they need to be and then bring them to help with the comp. when that stuff is done. Kind of hard to do this with a competition that's three hours away. And with Long Island traffic you never know when three hours could become 5. So for ME- I'll take something like this. Thank you to everybody past, present , and future who are taking the time and effort to bring some comps. close to home.

Jacked UP BBQ
04-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Funny thing is I mentioned it was not a qualifier, I am not piling on just making a statement. But a lot of the comps out there are that morally shouldnt be and chances are if they can get the approval from the governor this will be one of them. I think having great local comps are great, but that is all they should be LOCAL COMPS. Of course the Jack had to start somewhere, but so did all the other first year comps out there that are putting up money.

timzcardz
04-28-2011, 02:39 PM
In all honesty, I will gladly do a shady competition anytime.

Bethpage is definitely NOT a shady comp!

It will be in a parking lot with barely a tree in sight.

MattCom
04-28-2011, 02:48 PM
I really hope there is a BBQ hotline to Cuomo's Office. We gotta get this thing done!

BBQchef33
04-28-2011, 02:53 PM
if it were a $75-100 entry fee i could see it. at $200 hes up there with other contests that have sanctioning with all the amenities.

I think someone said the entry fee is all going to the prize pool(dont quote me) and from this thread it seems there is electric, water, and team meals.

So with that... what amenities are missing.?

I see nothing worng with a neighborhood cook off. Actually I think it is great. I do have a problem with a neighborhood cookoff that offers nothing to get outsiders to come in and then take a chance from a team that won a comp like Hudson Valley from going to the Jack. Does a comp in my home town with 15 teams and no prize money deserve to give the winner a chance at the world championship. I would say morally no. I dont think this is a qualifier from what I was told, but there have been some shady comps around the country.

(regarding in bold above.) What does that mean? In general(not just local), If a contest offers, water, electric, and a prize pool(thats all or a high% of entry fee), what else is needed/expected.??

I'm heading to 2 contests in a weekend. I have NO IDEA what the prize pool is in one, and the other is $6500, not large by any stretch. Dont know the venues, dont care.. As long as its got a spot to park, and a place to cook, and someone running the show, thats all I need.

speedrcer1
04-28-2011, 02:59 PM
I am really looking forward to this one. I really hope it can be pulled off.
I'm looking forward to utilizing my newly honed judging skills. (KCBS Judging Class the day before)
That's if I pass, I hear the final exam is tough..:wink:

Jacked UP BBQ
04-28-2011, 03:31 PM
I think someone said the entry fee is all going to the prize pool(dont quote me) and from this thread it seems there is electric, water, and team meals.

So with that... what amenities are missing.?

(regarding in bold above.) What does that mean? In general. If a contest offers, water, electric, and a prize pool(thats all or a high% of entry fee), what else is needed/expected.??

I'm heading to 2 contests in a weekend. I have NO IDEA what the prize pool is in one, and the other is $6500, not large by any stretch. Dont know the venues, dont care.. As long as its got a spot to park, and a place to cook, and someone running the show, thats all I need.

$6500 is a fair prize pool and would attract a decent amount of teams from surrounding states. Having no guaranteed prize pool WOULD attract me if it was 30 minutes from my house, but by not a 200 mile drive. I would feel its not worth the time and there are probably better options. Not that I am worried about making money at it, but to me I rather have at least a chance.

rxcellentq
04-28-2011, 03:47 PM
I had already signed up for Que for the Troops in PA when this was anounced. It's in my backyard, we had to join. I know it's a small contest and I was afraid they might cancel it but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to do a local contest and let family and friends see what the heck i've been doing.

scm1226
04-29-2011, 06:00 AM
Anyone know How many teams will be there? I sent my application via email but have not received a response.

HolySmoke
04-30-2011, 07:41 AM
I never heard so many adults whine about not doing or complaining about a local comp trying to happen.:tsk:

I don't think i saw anything anywhere stating this was a huge event with all kinds of payouts, this is a new event trying to kick off and they're looking for help/support from the local bbq community, if that's what we are & what we're about, but i guess its not.

Maybe if the idea of this comp offends/irks you & you have nothing good to say...

To bad, then just don't go & forget about it...:mad2:
(don't bitc$ when it turns out to be awsome)

Ron_L
05-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Guys... Keep it civil and stop the personal attacks and name calling. Keep the discussion at an adult level or we'll lock the thread.

MilitantSquatter
05-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Thread scrubbed (last 4 posts).

scm1226
05-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Do we know if this is happening? Haven't heard from Charlie yet. Does anyone know?

trohrs123
05-02-2011, 03:18 PM
anyway back to Bethpage...any idea on number of teams?...we are trying to re arrange some prior commitments to compete and support this contest
would like toknow if this contest is def a "go" before changing a lot of plans

Westexbbq
05-02-2011, 04:07 PM
anyway back to Bethpage...any idea on number of teams?...we are trying to re arrange some prior commitments to compete and support this contest
would like toknow if this contest is def a "go" before changing a lot of plans

I have an inquiry in to Charlie and will advise as soon as I find out...
I've talked it up with a few other folks as well and hope all can make it..

scm1226
05-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Has anyone heard anything? I have other things that are coming up for that weekend and Want to know what i should do. There was talk about ten teams needed think i counted 6 maybe 7 . So not sure where that leaves us.
Can we get rolling on this. Is Charlie responding anyone elses emails?

Smokin' Aces
05-03-2011, 11:48 AM
i heard there is only 4 teams registered right now if it comes down to it i can be the 10th is there is nine. i have other plans but im sure i can rearrange them to hopefully get and keep a nassau comp going

Westexbbq
05-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Word is Charlie needs 6 more teams at this point!

nosmo
05-03-2011, 03:04 PM
when is going to be officially on or off? has anybody heard DIRECTLY from Charlie?? shopping time is near!

BBQ_MAFIA
05-03-2011, 03:53 PM
I talked to Charlie a little while ago. He said that they will make a decision on Saturday. He has 4 teams confirmed but needs at least 10.

Jacked UP BBQ
05-03-2011, 09:31 PM
In all seriousness where are all the HUGE LOCAL COMP supporters? Why is no one going?

MilitantSquatter
05-03-2011, 09:48 PM
In all seriousness where are all the HUGE LOCAL COMP supporters? Why is no one going?

I'm a HUGE supporter of local contests :wink:. I'll be in Chicago since you asked..

Seriously, there are probably 25 LI based teams, half or more of which only appear to compete locally in the hotbed of BBQ.

Here's what I see :

- Extremely short notice - many have posted previous commitments at the start of the thread
- high entry fee of $200 for an unknown,
- no clarity on the rules, judging etc.
- no one knows the organizer, nor has he gone out of his way to log onto the interwebs to try to draw some interest via this forum

It's just like the Jack, AR, MIM and Houston Rodeo, only different :heh:

BBQchef33
05-03-2011, 10:46 PM

Unless you plan on attending, I dont see why you should be so interested in where the locals are. Read the top of the thread, by the time it was announced here, most of the local teams already had plans.

Jacked UP BBQ
05-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Unless you plan on attending, I dont see why you should be so interested in where the locals are. Read the top of the thread, by the time it was announced here, most of the local teams already had plans.

I will actually be in PA supporting your contest! Que for the troops. So I cant attend I like the PA comp better. Just wondering it was a serious question, but obviously the senstivity level out there is ORANGE so I will go to bed now!!!!!:hand:

BBQchef33
05-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Thats the following week(the PA Contest)... i will be there too. So i guess you can make it now. :becky:

Jacked UP BBQ
05-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Thats the following week(the PA Contest)... i will be there too. So i guess you can make it now. :becky:

Damn you got me, I thought I had a good come back!:icon_blush: I will be in Annapolis MD that weekend. But if they need a team I will send one up, how about that!

Anchors Smokeshop
05-05-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm a HUGE supporter of local contests :wink:. I'll be in Chicago since you asked..

Seriously, there are probably 25 LI based teams, half or more of which only appear to compete locally in the hotbed of BBQ.

Here's what I see :

- Extremely short notice - many have posted previous commitments at the start of the thread
- high entry fee of $200 for an unknown,
- no clarity on the rules, judging etc.
- no one knows the organizer, nor has he gone out of his way to log onto the interwebs to try to draw some interest via this forum

It's just like the Jack, AR, MIM and Houston Rodeo, only different :heh:

As much as I would've liked to have seen this contest be a success, I have to agree with Vin.
Charlie should've logged on here to promote the hell out of this thing and be available to answer any questions the interested teams may have.
If this contest isn't a success, I am working with the Hicksville Fire Department to put together a one day People's Choice Rib Cook-Off. I know it's not a sanctioned event, but it's an event for the Long Island teams to get together for a day and have a good time, plus there are great prizes!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1627571

MikeR
05-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Just received the following e-mail.

"The contest is being called off since we only had 4 teams respond at this time - we are sorry all checks will be returned

Charlie Razenson"

Poker game at my house that Sat.- who's in.

scm1226
05-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Just got the same email. O well!! See you guys at the maples!!

timzcardz
05-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Amazing.

[shakes head]

I KNOW that he got my app and check, and yet I haven't received an email.

Obviously communication is not his strong point.

BBQchef33
05-06-2011, 01:21 PM
nothing here either.

I'm look at this as now I can finish the yardwork before memorial day weekend. :)

Arlin_MacRae
05-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Eric, I updated the thread title to show it's within 30 days.
If you no likey I'll change it back.

Arlin

speedrcer1
05-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Where is the dis-like button?
:sad:

Westexbbq
05-06-2011, 03:49 PM
No word here either but I am sad to see it fell through.
Hope it's worth another shot next year with some more advance notice and follow ups.

Smokin J
05-06-2011, 05:23 PM
I sent my app in over a week ago, and never received an email either. Even after I sent follow up emails and left messages.

Not even any kind of acknowledgment. Why did he even bother?? With just a little effort he could have pulled it off.:tsk:

Sledneck
05-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Hahhahahah this totally made my day! Everybody was so quick to jump down my throat when i questioned this deal. Now everybody jumping on the band wagon about communication from the organizer etc. Seemed like a shady deal to me from the start. The guy might be a nice guy with good intentions but lets be realistic. Nobody knew him and it didn't seem that he had any organizing experience. That why I was on it about sanctioning etc. Yes everybody's gotta start somewhere. If he had some sort of sanctioning at least that part would of been taken care and given teams some assurance. . Flip coin, if he had organizing experience then doing it non sanctioned would of been fine to . He had neither. At least have one side of the deal. i guess with only 4 teams signing up i wasn't the only one who had doubts, (just the only one who would go public about it ) . This guy couldn't even send an email, how do you think he would of ran a contest?

MikeR
05-06-2011, 06:17 PM
I know you can't see me so just take my word for it. I Bow before you. NOT.

Everybody loves an "I told you so".

Sledneck
05-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Everybody loves an "I told you so". I sure do! :becky:

Westexbbq
05-07-2011, 11:02 AM
The bandwagon should now be empty,
nothing more to see here.

Smokin J
05-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Hahhahahah this totally made my day! Everybody was so quick to jump down my throat when i questioned this deal. Now everybody jumping on the band wagon about communication from the organizer etc. Seemed like a shady deal to me from the start. The guy might be a nice guy with good intentions but lets be realistic. Nobody knew him and it didn't seem that he had any organizing experience. That why I was on it about sanctioning etc. Yes everybody's gotta start somewhere. If he had some sort of sanctioning at least that part would of been taken care and given teams some assurance. . Flip coin, if he had organizing experience then doing it non sanctioned would of been fine to . He had neither. At least have one side of the deal. i guess with only 4 teams signing up i wasn't the only one who had doubts, (just the only one who would go public about it ) . This guy couldn't even send an email, how do you think he would of ran a contest?

Next time another local organizer (that I don't know) tries to put a local comp together, I'll do the same exact thing I did this time. Send in an application, and try to do my part to get a local comp going. If it works out.... great, if not I lost nothing.

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
05-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Next time another local organizer (that I don't know) tries to put a local comp together, I'll do the same exact thing I did this time. Send in an application, and try to do my part to get a local comp going. If it works out.... great, if not I lost nothing.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I didn't send in an app for this one because I had another obligation that weekend but we should all be supporting ANY local competition, regardless of things like payout. As great as Williepal'ooza and the Battle of the BBQ Brethren events are, there's still 50 more weekends of the year that we can be hosting events (in a perfect world, of course).

Sledneck
05-13-2011, 03:01 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself. I didn't send in an app for this one because I had another obligation that weekend but we should all be supporting ANY local competition, regardless of things like payout. As great as Williepal'ooza and the Battle of the BBQ Brethren events are, there's still 50 more weekends of the year that we can be hosting events (in a perfect world, of course).

If i wanted to throw away money i would buy frozen meatballs and wrap them in bacon, i dont have to send it to an unknown organizer. One day it that check wont come back to you.....

motoeric
05-13-2011, 04:11 PM
If i wanted to throw away money i would buy frozen meatballs and wrap them in bacon,

Can you make some extra? Those bastiches are delicious.

Eric

BBQchef33
05-13-2011, 05:30 PM
If i wanted to throw away money i would buy frozen meatballs and wrap them in bacon, i dont have to send it to an unknown organizer. One day it that check wont come back to you.....

So you personally know.the organizer of every contest you ever atttended? Think not.

regardless....************************

Did anyone else with questions or doubst call the organizer to ask questions before questioning his or the contests integrity?. Nope. Those that did, got responses.

The organizer is not a member here. No.reason.to expect him(or any organizers) to be hovering over a thread waiting to reply. So just because he did not respond here, did not mean it wasn't going to be a well run event. So in return, we lost the possibility of another contest. Very helpful.

Is the dead horse dead? Yup. No reason to keep beating it.

Sent from my Droidx using tapatalk and thats probably why the typing is worse than usual.