PDA

View Full Version : fire extinquisher

mobow
03-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Is there a minimum standard for a fire extinquisher? Will a five pound ABC class be enough?

The Giggler
03-25-2011, 04:24 PM
We've always gotten by with a 5#er.

smoke-n-my-i's
03-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Same here, 5#ABC. Without looking, I believe that is what KCBS requires.

Slamdunkpro
03-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Same here, 5#ABC. Without looking, I believe that is what KCBS requires.

KCBS Rule #4 only specifies "A fire extinguisher shall be near all cooking devices." No mention of class or weight. Local codes might be more specific.

Ford
03-25-2011, 06:21 PM
5 lb abc works in every state I've visited. But you will need a current (past 12 months) inspection tag in most places. In fl you need qan fl tag. Usually there's a guy folowing the inspector selling inspected extinguishers. With budget cuts look for more of this.

CBQ
03-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Ya, the inspection process is they look at the pressure gauge and then put a sticker on it. I'm sure that makes it much safe.

mobow
03-25-2011, 09:18 PM
thanx everyone. I will get me a fire extinquisher and I think I now have everything I need. Until I find somthing else I need. :-D

butt head
03-25-2011, 09:42 PM
5 lb abc works in every state I've visited. But you will need a current (past 12 months) inspection tag in most places. In fl you need qan fl tag. Usually there's a guy folowing the inspector selling inspected extinguishers. With budget cuts look for more of this.
don't pay, you are not requierd to have that inspected. when was the last time you had your home extinguisher inspected ?

butt head
03-25-2011, 09:46 PM
they came around at wildwood nj last year and tried that. I am a fire sprinkler inspector by trade and am licenced to inspect extinguishers too. i told the fire marshal he could inspect mine once he showed me his license, he walked away.

Ford
03-25-2011, 10:18 PM
don't pay, you are not requierd to have that inspected. when was the last time you had your home extinguisher inspected ?

You can not compete withoutit. The organizer will not accept your entry at turn in and wil not pay you if the fire marshall says you can't compete. It's usually right on the entry form.

butt head
03-26-2011, 06:44 PM
You can not compete withoutit. The organizer will not accept your entry at turn in and wil not pay you if the fire marshall says you can't compete. It's usually right on the entry form.
thats true but they can't make you pay for a bogus inspection. if you have a 5lb abc thats all you are requierd to have it do's not need a tag.

QansasjayhawQ
03-27-2011, 02:01 AM
We simply take the fire extinguisher out of the kitchen where my wife's day care used to happen . . . and bring it to the competitions.

I agree - as long as it's up to date with it's inspection it should be just fine.

smokeyw
03-27-2011, 09:33 AM
I agree with you. However, the contest can impose any rules they want and disqualify anyone not following them.

thats true but they can't make you pay for a bogus inspection. if you have a 5lb abc thats all you are requierd to have it do's not need a tag.

thillin
03-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Texas must be more laid back. I've never had a fire marshal check me. Not sure if it's a KCBS thing or location. I don't remember them even checking for fire extinquishers last year in Bedford. But in IBCA, never been checked.

I think it's another KCBS grey area if an event trys to enforce an inspection tag, and it's not mentioned in the KCBS rules as being needed.

butt head
03-27-2011, 11:11 AM
I agree with you. However, the contest can impose any rules they want and disqualify anyone not following them.
only if you are informed before hand that it must be inspected

Ford
03-27-2011, 02:43 PM
only if you are informed before hand that it must be inspected
Not true. The local fire Marshall can come into any contest in their jurisdiction and can say you need this before you light the smoker. it's their call and they have the legal right to shut you down and if you refuse they can have you arrested.

Normally if the fire dept plans to inspect they will let the contest organizer know and then the organizer can notify the cooks. It happens a lot here in FL. It also happens in Grand Rapids MI.

butt head
03-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Not true. The local fire Marshall can come into any contest in their jurisdiction and can say you need this before you light the smoker. it's their call and they have the legal right to shut you down and if you refuse they can have you arrested.

Normally if the fire dept plans to inspect they will let the contest organizer know and then the organizer can notify the cooks. It happens a lot here in FL. It also happens in Grand Rapids MI.
:tape: i'm done

Just Smokin' Around
03-27-2011, 11:04 PM
It's usually by location. Obviously, in FL and MI, you better be prepared. In Washington, DC, the DCFD came around inspecting (it was mentioned up front they would). They were more concerned about propane tanks. At a KCBS contest, the reps make sure I have one and away they go. On a few occasions, I've had some sort of FD person come around looking.

HONCHO GREGORY
03-31-2011, 08:39 PM
I use the "First Alert Tundra" Bought it @ the big blue box store. Only payed around $12 and change, I have two and keep them with me most of the time. When I got them in the fall of 2010 I looked on the back, they have a exp 6/25/15. So I don't think any fire marshal will give you any problem with this product. Went to a few KCBS events and the reps seemed oked with also. I really think this is the way to go

http://www.firstalertstore.com/store/start.asp?area=nav_acc_model&category_id=2&gclid=CMX6gaOH-qcCFRG4KgodCE3yqA

Smoke'n Ice
03-31-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm curious. Why would you go to a contest without a fire ext. that works and is sufficent to put out what you started. I have mine inspected each year to insure that it will at least work. That is the same reason I put new batteries in my smoke detector and co2 detector on spring ahead day. I am not qualified to test fire ext. or, since I retired, batteries. Why would you care to be "DEAD" right?

At least your kids can point to the inspector as they file the lawsuit!

butt head
03-31-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm curious. Why would you go to a contest without a fire ext. that works and is sufficent to put out what you started. I have mine inspected each year to insure that it will at least work. That is the same reason I put new batteries in my smoke detector and co2 detector on spring ahead day. I am not qualified to test fire ext. or, since I retired, batteries. Why would you care to be "DEAD" right?

At least your kids can point to the inspector as they file the lawsuit!
never said anything about not bringing one. it's part of the rules, paying for an onsite inspection is not!

bigdogphin
04-01-2011, 12:37 AM
This year in Washington (King county, I believe) the Fire Marshall is giving out a fine to the bbq association which is passed on to the cook for not having a proper fire extiguisher before the events starts. Costco has had them on sale and in my area its 6 dollars to get an old one inspected.

bigdogphin
04-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Oh, BTW make sure the thing is secure when transporting. I have had 2 go off inside my truck while driving. You would think once was enough but it wasn't. You can't breath or see going 65mph down the free way its a crazy feeling not to mention the upset wife.