PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. BBQ Capital Cook-off - Lexington, NC April 22 - 23

Smoke'n Ice
03-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Smoke'n Ice is in. They currently have 34 teams registered. This is the inaugral and falls between Kings Mountain and Edenton. See ya'll there.:thumb:

Pickin' Porkers
03-24-2011, 06:57 PM
We're in Kings Mountain and Lexington too but judging Edenton.

Smoke'n Ice
03-24-2011, 07:08 PM
We're in Kings Mountain and Lexington too but judging Edenton.
Would love to do Kings Mountain again but don't think I can afford that much time away from the Tea Room. So will do the hometown one where all my family and friends will be judging and then come back to Dallas. :heh:

Finney
03-24-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm at Kings Mountain and then Lexington. Can't make Edenton this year.

SirPorkaLot
03-25-2011, 06:26 PM
We will be in Lexington, it is as close as a home field as we are going to get.

See ya there - good luck to all teams!

RobKC
03-27-2011, 08:26 AM
We'll be at Kings Mountain and Lexington as well.

Sauced!
03-27-2011, 05:35 PM
We are doing Kings Mtn and Lexington as well.....

SirPorkaLot
03-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Well all - it appears that the Inaugural BBQ Capital Cook-off has sold out.
All 50 - that's right 5-0 spots have been taken. :clap2:

A little history - Lexington, NC hosts an annual BBQ festival in the fall of each year that brings in 160,000+ people to the one day festival.

The organization that runs that festival has organized the Inaugural BBQ Capital Cook-off, and initially planned for about 30 teams. They have now closed registration at 50 teams, and are forecasting a HUGE crowd since it is their first cook-off and it is also Easter weekend.

Here are the 50 teams that are competing - good luck to all!

1. Smoke’n Ice Dallas, TX
2. Apex BBQ Apex, NC
3. Camel City Smokers Winston Salem, NC
4. Callaway Cremators Virginia Beach, VA
5. Carolina BBQ Co. Hildebran, NC
6. Serial Griller Yorktown, VA
7. Old Dominion Smokehouse Chesapeake, VA
8. My Sweet Hog Cooking Team Newport, NC
9. Damn Yankees E. Northport, NY
10. Carolina Backyard Barbaque Monroe, NC
11. Pork Barrel BBQ Washington, DC
12. The Little Red Pig Championship BBQ Marshville, NC
13. A Taste of Carolina Alexis, NC
14. The Smokehouse Mafia Taylorsville, NC
15. Smoke This Hickory, NC
16. Cancer Sucks Chicago.com Westmont, IL
17. Pickin’ Porkers Clemmons, NC
18. Raw Talent Tega Cay, SC
19. Iron Pig BBQ Salisbury, NC
20. Uncle Mac’s BBQ Crue Charlotte, NC
21. Screamin Nite Hog BBQ Winston Salem, NC
22. DEGUELLO BBQ Springfield, VA
23. Kool Coals Sherrills Ford, NC
24. Buck Wild BBQ Lexington, NC
25. Go For Smoke BBQ Huger, SC
26. Smokin TNT Wilmington, NC
27. Fast Eddie’s Fine Swine Kannapolis, NC
28. Fox Creek Farm BBQ Lexington, NC
29. The Kings of Q Raleigh, NC
30. Saponi Smokers Winston Salem, NC
31. Two Old Men and a Grill Bessemer City, NC
32. Pig in a Poke BBQ Johnson City, TN
33. Baloney Joes Greer, SC
34. Part Time Party Porkers Roanoke, VA
35. Sir Porkalot BBQ Concord, NC
36. Kings Cooking Shelby, NC
37. The Pig’s Ear Amherst, VA
38. Pigs ’N’ Puddin’ Thomasville, NC
39. Sauced! BBQ Mount Holly, NC
40. Zeck Beck Lexington, NC
41. The Piedmont Bullets Chapel Hill, NC
42. May Heavy Equipment Lexington, NC
43. Dickie-Do’s BBQ Mebane, NC
44. Yadkin River Smokers Lexington, NC
45. Firehouse Smokers TN Seymore, TN
46. PACK-A-SMOKES Erwin, TN
47. McNualty’s Chutney Lexington, NC
48. Tiger-Q BBQ Winston Salem, NC
49. Big John’s Backyard BBQ Lexington, NC
50. Fat Back’s BBQ & Rib Shack Fayetteville, NC

Finney
04-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Sweet!

BBQmrf
04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
If any teams are looking for a little help for this contest, my (pregnant) wife and I are looking to cook with a team while we can still do this without a distraction (child). We're both experienced judges and table captains, although only amateur/backyard cooks.

SirPorkaLot
04-06-2011, 05:28 PM
If any teams are looking for a little help for this contest, my (pregnant) wife and I are looking to cook with a team while we can still do this without a distraction (child). We're both experienced judges and table captains, although only amateur/backyard cooks.

PM sent

Smoke'n Ice
04-12-2011, 07:08 PM
I was just on the web site and team number 55 that is five five is Cool Smoke.

So much for a fifty team limit and the competition just got down right interesting.

Next we get Myron and Johnny :pray:

Pickin' Porkers
04-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Bill.....they took on more than 50 teams on my suggestion because of the 50 teams rule as qualifiers for the Jack and A/R...and to make even teams numbers for judging....so blame me and not the organizer. It was a needed move.

As for the teams they brought into the mix...bring them on...we have beaten both of them many times so no prima donna stuff in that crowd.....they just have more time at the game and just better promoting.

You are not cooking this contest so why be so concerned?

Smoke'n Ice
04-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Actually, my name is Mack and if you look at the first team name on the list, you will see my team name. There was not, nor is there any blame for anyone or anything. Just a way of being facetious. Been working with Chad and Jo Ellen from the very beginning and will be there in 2 weeks to enjoy and beat all of you (maybe).

smalls65
04-13-2011, 05:41 AM
Bill.....they took on more than 50 teams on my suggestion because of the 50 teams rule as qualifiers for the Jack and A/R...and to make even teams numbers for judging....so blame me and not the organizer. It was a needed move.

As for the teams they brought into the mix...bring them on...we have beaten both of them many times so no prima donna stuff in that crowd.....they just have more time at the game and just better promoting.

You are not cooking this contest so why be so concerned?

Well said!!!! :thumb:

Finney
04-13-2011, 06:52 AM
Actually, my name is Mack and if you look at the first team name on the list, you will see my team name. There was not, nor is there any blame for anyone or anything. Just a way of being facetious. Been working with Chad and Jo Ellen from the very beginning and will be there in 2 weeks to enjoy and beat all of you (maybe).

I was trying to figure out who Roger thought "Bill" was...
I started to post, "Who's Bill?" last night, but figured it was you Mack.

Pickin' Porkers
04-13-2011, 08:07 AM
AHHHHH....you are correct... it IS Smoke n ice....I had it confused with Smoke n my i's...another team this way! Thanks for the correction!

In the meantime.....show us what you have learned with brisket while in Texas while you are up here! Is it really all salt and pepper or what?

Smoke'n Ice
04-13-2011, 08:31 AM
You have got to understand that brisket in Texas is subjective. I have found only one joint in Dallas that is worth a visit. I normally don't eat bbq or cook in TX, did two last month for a warmup prior to the start of the KCBS season for us. So I am probably not a good source for information as my only coment is, "if you can't taste and burp the mequite smoke, then it aint Texas brisket." :boxing:

Pickin' Porkers
04-13-2011, 08:44 AM
my only coment is, "if you can't taste and burp the mequite smoke, then it aint Texas brisket." :boxing:

When I lived in Tx...I found their "BBQ" to be roast beef and catsup....not even close to what we cook in competition. Admittingly, I did not know where to find "good" brisket as there wasn't any around Lake Jackson and Matagorda. Some darn good cajun food however...

Finney
04-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Roger, I'll let you taste some good brisket in Lexington... I'm stealing Scottie's during the night. :becky:

Finney
04-13-2011, 09:47 AM
they took on more than 50 teams on my suggestion because of the 50 teams rule as qualifiers for the Jack and A/R...

Roger (or anybody), what's the 50 team rule that you are referencing? I'm sure I missed something, somewhere.

SirPorkaLot
04-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Roger (or anybody), what's the 50 team rule that you are referencing? I'm sure I missed something, somewhere.

any sanctioned contest that has a minimum of 50 teams becomes a qualifier for the Jack & AR.

With just 50 teams entered, if one drops out, you have less than 50, however with 55 teams entered, then we stand a good chance of cooking at a State qualifier.

Bring on all teams! there is no team on the list that concerns us - the more the merrier!
:thumb:

Scottie
04-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Not worth it.... I'm from the midwest and don't know flavor profile of NC....

Roger, I'll let you taste some good brisket in Lexington... I'm stealing Scottie's during the night. :becky:

Finney
04-13-2011, 01:08 PM
any sanctioned contest that has a minimum of 50 teams becomes a qualifier for the Jack & AR.

With just 50 teams entered, if one drops out, you have less than 50, however with 55 teams entered, then we stand a good chance of cooking at a State qualifier.

Bring on all teams! there is no team on the list that concerns us - the more the merrier!
:thumb:

So they didn't get the Governor's Proclamation? I thought they had... which would have only needed 25 teams to be a qualifier. :crazy:

I thought maybe the requirements had changed because there are so many contests these days.

Finney
04-13-2011, 01:09 PM

There is no NC brisket flavor profile....

Scottie
04-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Chad had mentioned that the governors office wouldn't give that designation to a first year contest. It doesnt matter now.

So they didn't get the Governor's Proclamation? I thought they had... which would have only needed 25 teams to be a qualifier. :crazy:

I thought maybe the requirements had changed because there are so many contests these days.

Finney
04-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Chad had mentioned that the governors office wouldn't give that designation to a first year contest. It doesnt matter now.

They would if it was an Eastern NC competition..... Her office is full of people that praise the eastern style Q.

Smoke'n Ice
04-13-2011, 02:26 PM
:cool:
From the man who took the world championship in TN, not too far from the NC/AL/GA/SC Borders.

Scottie
04-13-2011, 03:01 PM
I like to lay in the weeds Mack....

smokeyw
04-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Go figure :becky:

They would if it was an Eastern NC competition..... Her office is full of people that praise the eastern style Q.

Pickin' Porkers
04-14-2011, 08:46 AM
There is no NC brisket flavor profile....

Absolutely correct.....North Carolinians haven't a clue about this new fangled meat called brisket but once they taste it, it is the first meat to disappear when catering....way before pork.

Scottie, cook it exactly as you would for the Jack...believe me. Our brisket scores well from here and east of us to the coast. The further West we go it just doesn't score well.

Last year in King's Mountain we totally tanked in brisket....I was dumb enough to put some terrible burnt ends in the box that should have gone to the trash. The result.....35th brisket off 44.....