PDA

View Full Version : Holding Beef

worthsmokin
03-24-2011, 01:42 PM
I started doing chopped chuck roll for roadside vending and events. I am having trouble holding it for more than an hour in my steam table without it drying out, but at the same time sheen of grease and tasting "gamey". I have a Duke 4 well and started using half pans with a water pan under, thinking this would help. It seems to keep a bit longer, then just turns bad pretty quick after an hour. I take it to 165 then hold around 140. I keep my replacement beef in my holding cabinet and it comes out perfect. I have no trouble with pork.

What am I doing wrong? Is this just the way beef is? Any tips or tricks? I can't keep throwing the bad stuff out losing money!!!

Thanks,
Tyler

worthsmokin
03-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Any help?

jbrink01
03-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Cook that chuck roll till it falls apart as it's FULL of collagen and connective tissue (sheen of grease). Pull it with bear paws and keep it warm in a solution of beef broth, rub and sauce (mostly broth). It works, Trust me.

Bbq Bubba
03-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Some (most) meats don't do well in steam tables. I find pork to go faster than beef usually. What are you using for a holding cabinet?

worthsmokin
03-27-2011, 02:31 PM
keep it warm in a solution of beef broth, rub and sauce (mostly broth). It works, Trust me.
I will give it a try.

worthsmokin
03-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Some (most) meats don't do well in steam tables. I find pork to go faster than beef usually. What are you using for a holding cabinet?

Well I am just the opposite, seems like I have better luck with pork. Maybe it's because it goes alot faster than the beef so it doesn't sit. I feel you have to have beef on the menu but I sell way more pork.

This is the cabinet I have http://www.winholt.com/ProductDetail.asp?productID=2567

jbrink01
03-27-2011, 04:04 PM
I never try to hold anything that is less than well done. It's impossible for me to get it right. I serve rare pieces, but only as ready.

worthsmokin
03-27-2011, 05:43 PM
I also cook everything to done. I use the cabinet as part of my rotation.

When first starting out in the morning, (roadside vending) I will put beef and pork in the steam table about 1 hour before opening. It takes about that long meat to get to 165 with the water pan.

The heating cabinet is set at 170 and I put meat in from the fridge just before opening. It usually never gets to 165 as it warms at a slower pace. I just don't have to warm it from 38 to 165 on the steam table. It usually is around 120 when I need to use stock from the cabinet and only takes minutes for it to reach 165 since the water pan is already hot at this point.

jbrink01
03-27-2011, 11:13 PM
I don't think 165 is hot enough for a chuck roll. I think if you render the grease out more your oilslick will go away. Go to 200 IMHO.

worthsmokin
03-28-2011, 08:37 AM
I don't think 165 is hot enough for a chuck roll. I think if you render the grease out more your oilslick will go away. Go to 200 IMHO.

I do take the chuck roll to around 210 initially and it falls apart. (I cook hot and fast) I setup a couple days a week so I cook beef and pork for that week the day before my first vending, then refrigerate it in 4 lb increments. I do use some of the drippings to help keep it moist, that is probably where the the grease is coming from. I will definitely try the broth route. I cook my ribs fresh every morning.