PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Club National Tour - Mandatory W-9 Required

huminie
03-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Just heard from the event director of my "local" event that all teams will be required to provide a fully filled out W-9 (i.e. with SSN) at the Friday cooks meeting. This is mandatory for all teams, not just money winners.

Is this a normal thing for contests? How do you guys feel about that?

glenntm
03-24-2011, 01:41 PM
We received the same e-mail this morning. We've had to do this at a couple other events before.

4 smokin butts
03-24-2011, 01:41 PM
they had us do that in midwest city, at the sams event last year

G$
03-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Hmmm I still don't have an email.

Tom, did it come from Mike Lake?

huminie
03-24-2011, 01:55 PM
So, you guys think that is cool?

Just trying to gauge how other teams feel about this. As a victim of identity theft I am a little gunshy when it comes to this type of information. I expected to have to provide it if I won some cash, but being required to provide it before the contest starts took me by surprise.

G$
03-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Just trying to gauge how other teams feel about this. As a victim of identity theft I am a little gunshy when it comes to this type of information. I expected to have to provide it if I won some cash, but being required to provide it before the contest starts took me by surprise.

I am sure it will speed the payout process to have it done ahead of time...

glenntm
03-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Hmmm I still don't have an email.

Tom, did it come from Mike Lake?

No, it was Ben Lobenstein.

glenntm
03-24-2011, 02:08 PM

Were OK with it. We have an LLC set up, and will give them that Tax Id number.

AZScott
03-24-2011, 02:14 PM
I think this contest is a little different than most. With the event being sponsored by Sam's Club and occurring on Sam's Club properties I don't see them taking any chances when it comes to the IRS. What are there, 30 locals, 5 regionals, and 1 national contest? That's a lot of money and additional risk compared to a local charity throwing a competition. I have no issues providing a W-9 but I have started keeping all of my receipts related to competing this year.

huminie
03-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Ok, cool. I know Ben is completely trustworthy...I just don't like my info getting too far away from me, but it looks like it's the only way to play in this particular ballgame.

Thanks for the information!

kcmike
03-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I think if the contest was being put on by the local Rotary Club, I might question their need for the information. However, since Sam's is, well... Sam's, I don't think it's probably all that big of a deal. Probably the wave of the future.

The_Kapn
03-24-2011, 02:52 PM
We are going to see more and more of this.

Obamacare has a provision to require a lot more 1099's than before.
And, 16K extra IRS agents to support it.
Stated reason is "to determine the amount of unreported income which should be taxable"--or close to that.

This provision has gotten a lot of heat and Obama has indicated he will "re-think" it and may be "ameiable" to the repeal of it.

Till that happens (if it does) we will see a lot more organizers collecting W-9 info and issuing 1099's.

I am keeping receipts and mileage records for every nickle and mile we spend competing.
Better safe than sorry.

JMHO

TIM

Bentley
03-24-2011, 04:06 PM
You can have my SS# when I when the money, seemed to work at the American Royal, they did not ask for mine it until after the awards...Like you, intil then I will keep it to myself. Are you gonna give me my W-9 back if I dont win any money?

RangerJ
03-24-2011, 05:14 PM
This is far from unusual.

If you enter as team abc barbeque and the promoter pays a check to abc barbeque how have you dealt with that in the past?

I'm a novice at best, with no real resume to speak of, but I certainly have a tax umbrella for all of this. to include the write offs...

much ado about nothing.

Bentley
03-24-2011, 05:39 PM
I don't mind turning in the W-9, I just dont want my SS# floating around when it is not nessesary.

Smoke'n Ice
03-24-2011, 06:39 PM
If you think this is bad, credit card processors are being required to report the amounts processed for each busniness and, if they do not have proper matching SSN's with the IRS, withold 28% of the proceeds and you can get it back when you file next year. The reporting is starting this year with the witholding effective 1 January 2012.

Get a DBA, bank account and apply for an EIN (Employer Identification Number) which is tied to your SSN. Then use this number. It's free and it works.

huminie
03-24-2011, 06:53 PM
I just wanna cook some barbeque. :(

AZScott
03-24-2011, 07:25 PM
It's all about making America competitive isn't it! Something about winning the future or some other meaningless slogan to make us feel good. With each regulation, someone connected to someone is making money or new government jobs are created. I see it first hand every day in the environmental industry.

smoke-n-my-i's
03-24-2011, 07:49 PM

You can have my SS# when I when the money, seemed to work at the American Royal, they did not ask for mine it until after the awards...Like you, intil then I will keep it to myself. Are you gonna give me my W-9 back if I dont win any money?

I always tell them, I will give it to you before you hand me my check, otherwise, no. I have no income if I don't get a call, so why give it to them....

I can see giving it to them if there is winning money involved, otherwise... NO.

huminie
03-24-2011, 11:03 PM
So you are saying you would back out of the contest and not cook it?

Bentley
03-24-2011, 11:56 PM
When I when...Fricken Cow College graduate!

Smokedelic
03-25-2011, 01:07 AM
I suggest anyone who has issue with the W9 for the Sam's contests just go ahead and withdraw. I think almost every contest has a waiting list so a team can easily be replaced.

Their contests, their rules...and I appreciate the opportunity they are providing...

...but that's just me.

DawgPhan
03-25-2011, 10:03 AM
I dont see what the big deal is. I mean everyone was paying taxes on their winnings anyway, right? I mean people wouldn't be trying to shelter income from the IRS by not reporting their contest winnings with their filings would they?

Alexa RnQ
03-25-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't think nonreporting is the issue when people are perfectly willing to turn in a form in order to collect a check. However, at each of these contests there are going to be a number of people who are going to be out of the money, and I can completely understand being concerned about an unutilized form floating around.

The comfort level seems to have been set at contests that require forms to be filled out in order to collect money; that's been in practice for some time and people are used to it. I can also understand the Sam's folk wanting to have their ducks in a row, they've got a huge corporation at risk if things aren't done correctly. That applies to possible misuse of form information as well.

Bigmista
03-25-2011, 11:26 AM
I didn't get the email. I guess they plan on me being out of the money.

yelonutz
03-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Its only fair that if you must claim the winnings on your taxes, you should be able to write off the expenses if you dont win. Travel, entry fees, equipment and food purchased for the contest.

Yeah, right.

NUTZ

huminie
03-25-2011, 12:29 PM
To be perfectly clear, I started this thread as a question to see what people thought of this practice. I am not implying it is a "big deal", it was an honest question posed.

And as stated above the concern is with having to fill out the form before the contest even begins. I have no problem filling it out if a check is coming my way, but I do have concerns with providing this information before it is needed/necessary. The collecting of personal information like this from everyone when only a few is really needed concerns me. Like I said, I have been a victim of identity theft and it is devastating and as a result I am hyper sensitive to providing my SSN to anyone and avoid it unless absolutely necessary. In this case, I don't understand why it is necessary for them to have it from those who don't win money.

And ya, we have to claim winnings, but good luck trying to write off all the expenses incurred...but that is a thread for a different day.

From what I understand, this is mandatory from all teams competing in Sam's and those who don't like it can bow out and give their seat up to a team that is ok with it. For me the choice to compete comes down to the fact that I know the director personally and I trust he will handle my information with care. I still have concerns as far as where it goes beyond him, but I have no control over that.

willkat98
03-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Maybe an option is to not fill out the SS# section of the W-9

Fill out the EIN section, and put in a series of 8's in the 2-7digit format: 88-8888888

This is the IRS indication for EIN applied for.

If you win, supply your personal SS#

I go through a couple hundred W-9's a year in my line of work and need to use the "8's" designation once in a while.

huminie
03-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Making a typographical error on such an important document would be a shame, however it could be easily corrected should the form 'really' be needed.

CBQ
03-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Its only fair that if you must claim the winnings on your taxes, you should be able to write off the expenses if you dont win. Travel, entry fees, equipment and food purchased for the contest.

Yeah, right.

NUTZ

Well, yes. If you form a limited liability company(LLC), you could. An LLC is less paperwork than a "big" corporate (like an C Corporation), you report profits and losses on your personal income tax. You pay taxes on profits, but can deduct operating expenses.

People like LLCs because they are easy and inexpensive to set up, but they (somewhat) protect you from personal liability. (If you create a sole proprietorship or partnership, you get basically the same tax benefits, but someone suing the business could go after your personal assets as well.) LLCs default to state laws that government them, so you don't have to create by-laws if you don't want to, whereas you have to do the paperwork for most other kinds of companies.

LLCs can have shareholders, and you can control how profits are distributed.

I would create an LLC if:

a) I was going to cater, and wanted to carry commerical insurance in case something went wrong

or

b) I want to split taxable winnings from contests amongst different team members

I think I will be creating one for Sam's Club for just that reason. If you create an LLC, you supply your EIN, not your SS. You will need to report profits/losses of the LLC on your tax return.

Our team has two pitmasters, so if we want to divide up the costs and winnings an LLC is a good way to do that. Let's say we win a contest and need to declare the income. The contest is going to issue a check to one person, and report that to the IRS. That person will have to declare that income on their tax return and pay the taxes on it.

If you have team members that are NOT part of your household, you will have to gift them the money under IRS rules, and that only works if it is under 13k per person per year. If it's more than that, taxes have to be paid on it again. Yup, twice. Gotta love that. If you use an LLC and make the parties shareholders, the money can flow from the LLC directly to them, so you only pay taxes on it once. (You do have to file an extra form if you have more than one owner in an LLC to document how the funds are distributed.)

I am not an accountant, so check with yours first, but as I understand the LLC, it's a good idea if you are getting taxable earnings from contests.

smoke-n-my-i's
03-25-2011, 04:36 PM
So you are saying you would back out of the contest and not cook it?

I take it that this was directed to me as it was posted directly under mine. Only if they force me. I have told other organizers that, and they had no problem with it. I see no difference here. The only other reason I may see is that they want all kinds of contact info on us, to either cover their selves, or just to save time at the awards. At an event I was at a couple of years ago, when they called your name, you walked up, got your trophy etc., but then you went behind the stage area to fill out the paper work before you got your check. They had all their ducks in a row. I see nothing different here.

smoke-n-my-i's
03-25-2011, 04:38 PM
To be perfectly clear, I started this thread as a question to see what people thought of this practice. I am not implying it is a "big deal", it was an honest question posed.

And as stated above the concern is with having to fill out the form before the contest even begins. I have no problem filling it out if a check is coming my way, but I do have concerns with providing this information before it is needed/necessary. The collecting of personal information like this from everyone when only a few is really needed concerns me. Like I said, I have been a victim of identity theft and it is devastating and as a result I am hyper sensitive to providing my SSN to anyone and avoid it unless absolutely necessary. In this case, I don't understand why it is necessary for them to have it from those who don't win money.

And ya, we have to claim winnings, but good luck trying to write off all the expenses incurred...but that is a thread for a different day.

From what I understand, this is mandatory from all teams competing in Sam's and those who don't like it can bow out and give their seat up to a team that is ok with it. For me the choice to compete comes down to the fact that I know the director personally and I trust he will handle my information with care. I still have concerns as far as where it goes beyond him, but I have no control over that.

Ok, you asked for our thoughts on this. Now it has gotten blown way out of proportion.... thoughts only people.

huminie
03-25-2011, 05:13 PM
I take it that this was directed to me as it was posted directly under mine. Only if they force me. I have told other organizers that, and they had no problem with it. I see no difference here. The only other reason I may see is that they want all kinds of contact info on us, to either cover their selves, or just to save time at the awards. At an event I was at a couple of years ago, when they called your name, you walked up, got your trophy etc., but then you went behind the stage area to fill out the paper work before you got your check. They had all their ducks in a row. I see nothing different here.

In this case the event director has contacted all teams participating in the contest and has told them that it is mandatory for all teams to fill out the form in full at the 5pm Fri cooks meeting. Teams who are not willing to do this will not be allowed to compete. This will be a standard practice for all the Sam's Club National BBQ Tour events across the country.

landarc
03-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Anyone who is a consultant should be familiar with this practice, in situations where the payments may be based upon pool contracts, whether or not you get paid, the law actually does require that you file a W-9 as a part of entering into the contract. This is nothing new to me, in fact, in recent years, the information has been required before we entered into the contract. It is legally allowed, though not required by the government. It is, however, a good way to protect yourself if you are the awarding or hiring agency against someone who does not properly report their winnings. Especially true if you intend to write off the prizes you give away.

SirPorkaLot
03-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Not a big deal.

You want a chance at a pay-off - give them a W9.

If you don;t want them to have that information - that's good too - be less competition we have to worry about :thumb:

HarleyEarl
03-25-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't mind turning in the W-9, I just dont want my SS# floating around when it is not nessesary.

Just get a state tax ID for your team - it only takes a few minutes if your state has an on-line app process.

Smoke'n Ice
03-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Just get a state tax ID for your team - it only takes a few minutes if your state has an on-line app process.
State ID's won't work. Requires either a SSN or EIN on Federal Forms. The state id is for sales and use tax or state income tax purposes only.

Rich Parker
03-26-2011, 07:35 AM
I personally don't like my SSN being floating around anywher. Anytime someone asks for it, I have them answer several questions until i can get out of giving it. I applied for an EIN last year in anticipation of this but it never happened.

It only takes a few minutes to setup an EIN.
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html

Edit: A quick search of my counties website, and I found the business registration form which includes the DBA info. Looks like it will cost $10 for 5 years

riblette
03-26-2011, 01:46 PM

Just got mine...took less than 5 minutes online. Thanks!!!

HoDeDo
03-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Its only fair that if you must claim the winnings on your taxes, you should be able to write off the expenses if you dont win. Travel, entry fees, equipment and food purchased for the contest. Yeah, right. NUTZ

For Joe Blow, You are reporting as "other" income, and claim it as hobby income. You can claim expenses up to the amount that you are claiming for winnings.

Well, yes. If you form a limited liability company(LLC), you could. An LLC is less paperwork than a "big" corporate (like an C Corporation), you report profits and losses on your personal income tax. You pay taxes on profits, but can deduct operating expenses.

People like LLCs because they are easy and inexpensive to set up, but they (somewhat) protect you from personal liability. (If you create a sole proprietorship or partnership, you get basically the same tax benefits, but someone suing the business could go after your personal assets as well.) LLCs default to state laws that government them, so you don't have to create by-laws if you don't want to, whereas you have to do the paperwork for most other kinds of companies.

In many states you do have to have By-laws, and an Articles of Incorporation, included with your application. You then usually need to document meeting minutes several times a year. For decisions on purchases (larger), things like cooking schedule (marketing expenses), etc. etc.

The key to setting up an LLC is that you have to pass the litmus test for actually having a business, and working to further it's success. Just cooking comps does not a business make. IT falls in the hobby status everytime, unless you are selling marketing to sponsors, and using that as the business you are trying to generate, for example.

Kim and I did not set up our LLC until we started teaching classes and producing marinades. Then BBQ is a business. Until then we classified it as hobby income. If you have business plan, a revenue forecast, etc, then you are making an effort to do business... and generate revenue (aka make money).

I personally don't like my SSN being floating around anywher. Anytime someone asks for it, I have them answer several questions until i can get out of giving it. I applied for an EIN last year in anticipation of this but it never happened.

Edit: A quick search of my counties website, and I found the business registration form which includes the DBA info. Looks like it will cost $10 for 5 years

This is true, anyone can get an EIN. And in many states, DBA is free. You obviously have no protection of your personal assets that way, but it is an easy way to track the monies and have them roll to the other area. I still think it takes it's roll as hobby income, unless you have the right information to show you are working to make the "business" viable.

But DBA is a great way to dip your toe into it.

smoke-n-my-i's
03-26-2011, 05:07 PM

Just got mine...took less than 5 minutes online. Thanks!!!

Did mine too..... super easy now that you can do it online.

Here is what I just received from my local event director:

I just heard from the last of our 30 teams. Thanks for the reply, everyone. Please check your email regularly for updates and contest information. Email is the way weíll be contacting you with all information.

As you may have heard, the Samís Cub BBQ Tour has some extra rules and guidelines that we must follow. You are signed up for one of the first contests in a hopefully growing and popular series of events. Below are several things that may be different in this contest:

Each team is required to complete a W-9 form, for tax purposes. It must list your name, address and SS number or tax payer ID number. There are no exceptions. Each team must provide the form in order to compete. These forms will be kept in a secure place and will be FedEx to Samís Club representatives the next business day after the contest.
The name you put on the W-9 form will be the name on your winnerís check. No exceptions. So be sure you can cash your check when you get home. Most banks wonít cash a check made out to a name other than the account holderís name.
Samís Club policy of no alcohol will be strictly enforced.
Teams may not distribute any samples to the public unless specifically authorized by Samís Club.
Each team is required to sign a photo/video release form giving Samís Club and their representatives the rights to use photos and videos to promote their products.
If you donít feel you can provide the above information, you should notify us to withdraw from the contest and request a refund of your entry fee. Please note: You must request any refund more than 30 days before the contest. None will be issued after that time.

Please look at it this way. We are moving up in the business world. Itís a great privilege to be representing such a large and prestigious national chain. They have business and tax rules to follow so we have to abide by their rules, too. Remember, this is about promoting Samís Club and their products and sponsors. The impressions we make this summer will influence the future of this great event across the country.

Sorry to be so stern with this, but these are the rules we must go by in order to compete in this series of events.

Good luck,

Now that I have the actual email with all of the "facts" spelled out, and now for those that may not have seen it like myself, you can post more as to what has been requested.

I sent him back a note, and asked some very to the point questions. Awaiting reply.

It seems like Sam's club is in the power, and has now changed the "contract" after we agreed to abide by their previous rules. I challenged a local event after doing theirs that way, and they backed down. These days when signing up on line with so many things, and no actual signature, it is a binding contract. I asked permission to use his replies to post here, so I will see what he has to say in reply as he is now a Sam's Club representative.....

RixCue
03-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Just me but , I donít think they had an oversight and just found out they should require a W-9 . That requirement should have been disclosed in the beginning .Now my level of trust is rapidly deteriorating concerning this event.

RangerJ
03-27-2011, 04:47 PM
.Now my level of trust is rapidly deteriorating concerning this event.

Seriously?

RixCue
03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Yes sir .

Smokin' Joe
03-27-2011, 05:19 PM
This is not a new thing in the midwest, I bet I filled W9's before awards no less that 7 or 8 times last year. Don't go to Jeff City MO in a couple of weeks if you dont want to fill one out.

Get an EIN number at the link above and roll with it

Jeff Hughes
03-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Just me but , I donít think they had an oversight and just found out they should require a W-9 . That requirement should have been disclosed in the beginning .Now my level of trust is rapidly deteriorating concerning this event.

You honestly think they are trying to screw you in some way?

smalls65
03-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Pretty much figured they would say we needed this form w/ all the money they are putting up, but I think it would've been a little better if they would've told us all this up front...

Muzzlebrake
03-27-2011, 06:55 PM
I guess I kind of expected it.........its just not that big of a deal to me.

oh now I remember why, i dont win any cash!:confused:

El Lobo
03-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Do you have to pay tax on winnings? In every state? If so, what's the damage?

RixCue
03-27-2011, 07:17 PM
You honestly think they are trying to screw you in some way?

There will always be a few bumps in the road that we deal with and move on . Having never had to deal with an event organizer that required me to supply my SSN , before it was necessary ďor in my opinion necessary ď creates a high level of concern .

Pickin' Porkers
03-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Folks.....giving up the SS number in this case is extreme paranoia.....QUIT worrying. Every organizer I have meet has ours.....NO BIG DEAL.

sitnfat
03-27-2011, 07:48 PM
What bothers me is they keep sayin no alcohol.:crazy:

Smoke'n Ice
03-27-2011, 08:21 PM
You can always give up alcohol and your ssn for lent! Get the stupid EIN number and use it. It's free, it's simple, it's online, it's almost instantaneous and it does not reveal your ssn number except to the ones that want to screw you (IRS).

G$
03-27-2011, 09:27 PM
You can always give up alcohol and your ssn for lent! .

SSN it is then!

QansasjayhawQ
03-27-2011, 09:48 PM
[snip] Especially true if you intend to write off the prizes you give away.
I feel a Bingo! here -

big matt
03-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Just got an email from Mike Lake..this is off topic I know but since this is about the tour I thought I'd ask here..I doesn't say anything about no alcohol..all it says is to keep it locked up when your not in your site..anyone else notice this?

RixCue
03-28-2011, 05:27 AM
Big Matt this was in the email I got ,
Sam’s Club policy of no alcohol will be strictly enforced.

I am ok with this . My panties are wadded up over the SSN …

smalls65
03-28-2011, 07:24 AM
What bothers me is they keep sayin no alcohol.:crazy:

Glad I don't drink!!!! LOL LOL LOL :thumb:

Sawdustguy
03-28-2011, 10:22 AM
My panties are wadded up over the SSN …

The simple solution is not to participate in the contest if you object so much. I am sure there are other teams who would like to cook the contest and not object to putting their SSN or Tax ID on a W9 form. I guess it boils down to if you object enough not to participate in the contest.

lcbateman3
03-28-2011, 04:58 PM
This is from our Event Director:

We have received decisions or clarification concerning some of the rules of the Sam’s Club BBQ Tour Events. Please read them carefully.

W-9 Forms and Winners Checks - At the awards ceremony winners will receive a blank W-9 form instead of a check. Teams will be responsible for completing and returning the form to the address provided. Each team will then receive a check for their winnings by mail within 7 business days. It will be your responsibility to mail your W-9 for payment. No one at the contest will see your form or the information it contains.

Alcohol – Teams can drink and enjoy alcohol in their spaces. But they must be reasonable and use discretion. If parties become loud and out of order, in the opinion of the directors, that team will be given one opportunity to adhere to the rule. A second complaint will mean disqualification and the team will be asked to leave.

Photo Release – Each team will be required to sign a photo release. Forms will be available at check-in.

Signage – Logos or names on rigs are OK as long as they are not direct competitors of Sam’s Club (Costco, Restaurant Depot, etc.). No flags or flying logos, however.

Opportunity to Withdraw – If you feel your team cannot comply with the above, you may withdraw and request a refund of your entry fee. Entry fees will not be refunded within 30 days of the contest in which you are registered.

RixCue
03-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Just got this in an email from our local event organizer . I think most everybody will be happy now , I am .

“We have received decisions or clarification concerning some of the rules of the Sam’s Club BBQ Tour Events. Please read them carefully.
W-9 Forms and Winners Checks - At the awards ceremony winners will receive a blank W-9 form instead of a check. Teams will be responsible for completing and returning the form to the address provided. Each team will then receive a check for their winnings by mail within 7 business days. It will be your responsibility to mail your W-9 for payment. No one at the contest will see your form or the information it contains.
Alcohol – Teams can drink and enjoy alcohol in their spaces. But they must be reasonable and use discretion. If parties become loud and out of order, in the opinion of the directors, that team will be given one opportunity to adhere to the rule. A second complaint will mean disqualification and the team will be asked to leave.
Photo Release – Each team will be required to sign a photo release. Forms will be available at check-in.
Signage – Logos or names on rigs are OK as long as they are not direct competitors of Sam’s Club (Costco, Restaurant Depot, etc.). No flags or flying logos, however.
Opportunity to Withdraw – If you feel your team cannot comply with the above, you may withdraw and request a refund of your entry fee. Entry fees will not be refunded within 30 days of the contest in which you are registered. “

Pig Headed
03-28-2011, 05:25 PM
I would have rather gave them my EIN# and walked away with any winnings than have to mail iit in and wait for the check.

smoke-n-my-i's
03-28-2011, 06:20 PM
I would have rather gave them my EIN# and walked away with any winnings than have to mail iit in and wait for the check.

The voices have been heard. I too agree, that they could have just had the winning teams fill in the W9 before receiving their check right after awards. I have seen that done before, and only takes a few minutes. Checks are already made out, they hand you the w9, you fill it out, and swap paper.... done.

I was going to give them my EIN anyway, it was just the principle of it, and not putting all of the rules up before everyone signed up.... the "let's change the rules" is what got me irritated.

I think that everyone that was concerned abt privacy and id theft will breath a lot easier now. That was the main objective from what I was reading.

Ok, going to my corner now..... :tape:

G$
03-28-2011, 06:33 PM
W-9 Forms and Winners Checks - At the awards ceremony winners will receive a blank W-9 form instead of a check.

I hope it is one of those awesome GIANT W-9 forms!

smoke-n-my-i's
03-28-2011, 06:53 PM

I hear mine is..... REAL GIANT! ! ! !

Alexa RnQ
03-28-2011, 07:02 PM
http://www.rhythmnque.com/images/w-9.jpg

DRQ
03-28-2011, 07:05 PM
So is this something we will fill out at the cooks meeting? or fill it out before hand? I got the email but no attachment ?

G$
03-28-2011, 07:06 PM
You beat me to photoshop ...

DRQ
03-28-2011, 07:08 PM
guess i should have read all the posts first! DOH!:crazy:

SirPorkaLot
03-28-2011, 09:41 PM
http://www.rhythmnque.com/images/w-9.jpg

Hilarious

Smoke'n Ice
03-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Those of you in fear of your ssn getting in the wrong hands will be happy to know the United States Postal Service will protect it for you and make sure it gets to the right place and that your "Check Is In The Mail."

Be careful what you wish for!!!!!

HoDeDo
03-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Yea, I'm with you Mack.... putting it in the mail is MUCH safer ... lol
Sam's folks at least have a very small chain of folks who touch it at a contest, and then it locked up and kept properly until such time as they no longer need to hold it and shred it.

Now it will be going into the mail, and open to many more opportunities for fraud... Funny that folks would rather it go to some place they dont see it, and dont know who touches it, than having specific control to the event organizers.... aka, a throat to choke.

I like to leave with my check, that way I can cash it for gas money home LOL

bcis93
03-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Do you think I gave them my real SS# ? LOL!

Smoke'n Ice
03-29-2011, 08:15 AM
I like to leave with my check, that way I can cash it for gas money home LOL

:heh: Yep, grand champion, that's about the cost of a tank of gas.

swamprb
03-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Start winning $$ and get used to them. At a contest or the end of the year.