PDA

View Full Version : Competition Tips

VA BBQ PIRATES
03-24-2011, 07:36 AM
In the March Bullsheett on pg 27 there's a "Tips From A Pro" artical by Chris Marks. The most interesting part of the artical is that 9 of his 10 recommendations were "lifted" word for word from our website. WTF??? You'd think he'd at least take the time to reword them.

Here's the originals:
http://www.bbq-pirates-va.com/bbqcompetitiontips1.html

Any thoughts?

mobow
03-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Great tips. He should of at least credited his source.

Full Draw BBQ
03-24-2011, 08:55 AM
I would contact the Bullsheet to let them know, and ask for a sourse credit in the next issue. More than likely they are not aware, and will be embarrased, and willing to sourse.

Full Draw BBQ

musicmanryann
03-24-2011, 09:25 AM
:shocked:

I find it laughable that a seasoned competitor cannot come up with a list of a few general competition tips without plagiarizing someone's website. Wow. Just wow.

HoDeDo
03-24-2011, 09:40 AM
I would definately call Dawn and let her know. She will make sure that proper credit is paid in the next bullsheet.

Bigdog
03-24-2011, 09:44 AM
:shocked:

I find it laughable that a seasoned competitor cannot come up with a list of a few general competition tips without plagiarizing someone's website. Wow. Just wow.

I agree but then I also disagree. Yes, a competitor should have no problem coming up with their own list, but then again, there is a real problem in this country with folks using or "stealing" others ideas without giving credit. They found a group of highly intelligent college kids cheating and the kids blew it off saying: "What's the big deal, everybody does it," to which I answer, no they don't and it is wrong.:tsk:

BTW: Nice list.

musicmanryann
03-24-2011, 10:04 AM
I agree but then I also disagree. Yes, a competitor should have no problem coming up with their own list, but then again, there is a real problem in this country with folks using or "stealing" others ideas without giving credit. They found a group of highly intelligent college kids cheating and the kids blew it off saying: "What's the big deal, everybody does it," to which I answer, no they don't and it is wrong.:tsk:

BTW: Nice list.

Agreed. It's not only wrong, it's illegal.

Big George's BBQ
03-24-2011, 10:58 AM
That is not right Tom I would follow the suggestions given here

Sticks-n-chicks
03-24-2011, 11:51 AM
That sucks! Just wish I had a few tips that were worth stealing :shocked: other than what not to do...

VA BBQ PIRATES
03-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks - We did contact the Bullsheet & they are looking into it. I'm just still shocked that some one would do that.

crd26a
03-24-2011, 12:38 PM
In the March Bullsheett on pg 27 there's a "Tips From A Pro" artical by Chris Marks. The most interesting part of the artical is that 9 of his 10 recommendations were "lifted" word for word from our website. WTF??? You'd think he'd at least take the time to reword them.

Here's the originals:
http://www.bbq-pirates-va.com/bbqcompetitiontips1.html

Any thoughts?

Just to make sure, these were written by you and not copied from anywhere? Just an honest question.

And I'm surprised Chris did this, given his stature, but then again, it fits in along with how the BoD runs the ops

QN
03-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Looks like he is also stretching his championship claims a bit. The article and his web site claim over 40 National championships and 9 world championships. That may be, but they do not appear to actually all be barbecue championships...

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
03-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks - We did contact the Bullsheet & they are looking into it. I'm just still shocked that some one would do that.

you know I would have.:wink: ..got get'em Tom!

ClayHill
03-24-2011, 01:39 PM
as a man of prinicipal........... I say call em out

huminie
03-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Is that list all your own original content? If it is, are you aware of it being published anywhere else?

Podge
03-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Looks like he is also stretching his championship claims a bit. The article and his web site claim over 40 National championships and 9 world championships. That may be, but they do not appear to actually all be barbecue championships...

By the way I read it, (by memory) he has 9 World Championship awards. I reckon anyone who has a call at the Jack or AR, or MIM has a World Championship award.

MoKanMeathead
03-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Not sure where the 9 comes from but I have heard that he has won the American Royal 8 times...that's pretty stong by itself! Although if he plagarized it is wrong no mater how many contests he has won!!

Slamdunkpro
03-24-2011, 03:41 PM
There is a mentality that "if it's on the web, it's public" even though it's not, but you'd think that an organization like KCBS that's so litigious over what it perceives to be its own Intellectual Property would know the difference.

butt head
03-24-2011, 04:32 PM
I would send him an e-mail thanking him for including your list on his site :cool:

CBQ
03-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Tip #11: You too can write an article for the Bullsheet if you shig it from other team's content.

:becky:

VA BBQ PIRATES
03-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Is that list all your own original content? If it is, are you aware of it being published anywhere else?

Just to make sure, these were written by you and not copied from anywhere? Just an honest question.
And I'm surprised Chris did this, given his stature, but then again, it fits in along with how the BoD runs the ops

Yes it's me. Naturally some of them are all things we are all told when we got started but that doesn't change the issue or make it not original content. For example I didn't invent PVC for extending table height and I'm sure that tip is everywhere. That doesn't excuse plagiarism.

I was made aware of another web site that copied all my tips. I'd think that anyone that cooked a comp or two could come up with there own list of "this is what I've learned" to pass on to the next guy. Guess some people take all kinds of short cuts.

sitnfat
03-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Maybe he should write an article on shigging! :shocked:

huminie
03-24-2011, 06:59 PM
It certainly doesn't excuse it at all. I just wanted to make sure that you were the one to actually type it all up and put it in "print". I was also thinking that maybe he stole it from someone else who stole from you.

In any case, it isn't cool.

Bentley
03-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Rip off is the sincerest form of flattery or something like that...

Hub
03-25-2011, 08:45 AM
When you "publish" on the web you never know where things will show up or how they will be quoted or attributed. It's a zoo. I've had professional articles pirated down to the letter, even when copyrighted. It helps to have a thick skin and the ability to just shrug it off and keep on keepin' on :rolleyes: because there is very little law or regulation that will support any kind of normal publishing rights.

In short, if you don't want it pirated or have a financial stake in the rights, don't put it on a website (If it's good it'll wind up there anyway).

Red Valley BBQ
03-25-2011, 11:37 AM
I doubt that a list of ideas is covered under the copyright infringement laws, especially if the list hasn't been copyrighted.

Don't get me wrong, stealing some one's work and using as thier own or not giving credit where credit is due is among the lowest of the low. But even if you wanted to go the legal route, I don't think there's much you could do.

Great list though. :thumb:

Jorge
03-25-2011, 12:16 PM
I doubt that a list of ideas is covered under the copyright infringement laws, especially if the list hasn't been copyrighted.

Don't get me wrong, stealing some one's work and using as thier own or not giving credit where credit is due is among the lowest of the low. But even if you wanted to go the legal route, I don't think there's much you could do.

Great list though. :thumb:

Unfortunately, part of maintaining a trademark or copyright is the obligation to do your due diligence and protect them.

I primarily write code/custom applications these days, but did some site development when I was getting started. I retain a board certified IP attorney, and referred many clients to him over time. What I've learned, as that a large number of people are under the impression that if something is on the internet it is public domain. That is NOT always the case. More often than not there is little to gain by persuing a claim, other than being able to demonstrate that you've done your due diligence to maintain your rights down the road. It's sad that it has come to that.

Scottie
03-25-2011, 02:03 PM
You are spot on Jorge. If you dontbprotect then, then no one will. We do all the IP work for a certain McCompany with golden arches. They litigate against anyone that even thinks they want to stomp on any of their IP protected work. If they roll over for one, then everyone one thinks they can do the same. their attorney fees are all part of the cost for protecting their brand.

Unfortunately, part of maintaining a trademark or copyright is the obligation to do your due diligence and protect them.

I primarily write code/custom applications these days, but did some site development when I was getting started. I retain a board certified IP attorney, and referred many clients to him over time. What I've learned, as that a large number of people are under the impression that if something is on the internet it is public domain. That is NOT always the case. More often than not there is little to gain by persuing a claim, other than being able to demonstrate that you've done your due diligence to maintain your rights down the road. It's sad that it has come to that.