PDA

View Full Version : First Ever Presentation Boxes (Critiques Appreciated)

bigjonsBBQ
03-23-2011, 10:25 PM
HI,
I am new to the boards, and thought this would be the perfect place to see what some seasoned vets on the comp circuit might think. These pictures were taken from the Seaside Heights, NJ Que By The Sea 2010. I didn't realize what my friends and myself were getting into, but we are better prepared for this upcoming season! I will start with the worst and finish strong :-D:

Brisket:46/48 ( only had room for 2 flats, as I was cooking on 2 Lowe's bought smokers)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=424&pictureid=3289

Ribs: 33/48

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=424&pictureid=3292

Pulled Pork: 23/48

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=424&pictureid=3291

Chicken : 20/48 ( Placed 2nd in non sanctioned competition a month later)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=424&pictureid=3290

I really would appreciate any and all comments, whether you think they are good or are the worst boxes ever. ( hopefully not the latter :tape:)

Thanks again and hope to run into some of you this season out there!!! I will be in Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey, with a possible comp in New York

AZScott
03-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Use a sharp knife, cut straight, don't have brush marks showing, and do not bury your meat in parsley. That's my opinion. I do like the amount of meat in your boxes and think they are laid out well.

Smokedelic
03-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Bit of advice, and this is only my opinion...based on where you placed, appearance critiques should be the least of your worries.

Appearance, for a new competitor, is the easiest issue to address. However, based on your ranking, I'd spend 100% of my time focusing on taste, and then tenderness, and not give a "dayum" about appearance, until you nail taste and tenderness.

Again, just my 2 cents.

bigjonsBBQ
03-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the tips Scott and Mike!!

I was told by the team competiting next to me that my brisket tasted good, I just sliced it wayyy too early, and by the time it got to the judges, prob was bone dry. I have been out, even during the blizzards in Jersey this winter, practicing every weekend.

Also, that taking a judging class would def help too, just trying to find one in my area.

worthsmokin
03-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Work on your flavor profile's. It looks like on your brisket (maybe brush strokes) you sliced it with the grain. It needs to be sliced against. Your chicken needs to be trimmed more uniform and place them horizontal in the box so the bone ends aren't exposed.IMO) Not bad looking boxes for the first time much better than ours. But with your placings it must be in flavor and tenderness. Remember it is about how much meat you can fill the box up with, not how much green you can stuff in it. Good luck

Kosmo's Q
03-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Bit of advice, and this is only my opinion...based on where you placed, appearance critiques should be the least of your worries.

Appearance, for a new competitor, is the easiest issue to address. However, based on your ranking, I'd spend 100% of my time focusing on taste, and then tenderness, and not give a "dayum" about appearance, until you nail taste and tenderness.

Again, just my 2 cents.

100% great advice.....:thumb:

bigjonsBBQ
03-23-2011, 11:36 PM
I always cut a lil piece off on brisket so I know which way the grain is going, that is brush strokes. Thats a problem I notice I have, but can't figure out how to get rid of them. My sauces are not super thick.

I tried to fit chicken horizontal, they were to big though. I will def be cutting the "knuckle" bones on the thighs the next time I do that.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-23-2011, 11:40 PM
dont brush the brisket

Bentley
03-24-2011, 12:58 AM
I will preface my scores and comments and say the photos aren't bad, but I think a little gets lost in translation.

Chicken. 7. Decent color, but skin looks rubbery and as if the fat has not been rendered.

Ribs. 7. Meat looks a little puckered, like they might be slightly over cooked, only taste will tell.

Pork. 6. Again, may be photo. Meat looks anemic. If you are not a sauce person, OK, but a little sheen would be nice.

Brisket. 7. Again, maybe photo, but it looks dry and over cooked.

Finney
03-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Throw away your silicone brush.

Sticks-n-chicks
03-24-2011, 12:55 PM
I always hate to comment on appearance scores, I by no means have figured it out, What helped me was comparing what I was doing with boxes to other teams (on this site and on the pickled pig) from there I was able to find what seems to be consistent.